Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I want to play this new fighting game so Kanji can finally follow through on that threat to beat the poo poo out of Yosuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Bufudyne

It looks like your earliest option for Bufudyne is Parvati at level 52. She'll also give you a skill card.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think part of it is that the bleached, slicked-back hair gives him this subliminal 'receding hairline' impression, at least to me.

Also I've always been confused as to how tall everyone in P4 is, I've seen two different height charts with completely different measurements for everyone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Justice posted:

One is metric, one is imperial.

They were both metric.

edit: One was apparently in the calender for the Social Link Expansion pack, while the other is in the Japanese art book.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 21, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While there's no tiredness in P4, excessive dungeon diving is going to cut into your afternoon S-Link hours, so it's generally encouraged to make fewer trips.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe Bear-Teddie and Sparkly-Blond-Man Teddie count as different characters?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, if they allow characters from Persona 1 and 2 as well, they could more or less cover the whole arcana:

Linked for spoilers and HUGE

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My problem is that there didn't seem to be a "Yosuke, stop being a cock" dialogue option. Also, even if you finish his character arc and evolve his persona and all that, the narrative format demands that he continues to be a cock. I just wish that solving your party member's issues would be better reflected in the main plot, but it's not really feasible with the way it's set out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I would pay absurd amounts of money to have Nocturne/DDS on the Vita. ...Or the 3DS, but that poo poo's not happening. I guess I just want every SMT game to be in portable form.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

P4G is the only reason I am buying a Vita. I don't know how that makes me feel about myself.

Well, I originally bought a PSP solely for the Persona remakes, so we're in the same boat here :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have taken the opportunity to collect Digital Devil Saga. Awesome.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm cracking open Digital Devil Saga for the first time, is there anything particularly egregious to keep in mind? I've had some experience with Nocturne, so I'm not wholly clueless. Also, if I start learning a Mantra, switch it with a different one halfway through, and then switch it back, do I have to pay money for the first mantra again? Am I buying it, or renting it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just one more question before I go- how do I get more skill slots? Four isn't going to cut it. Also, mantras are bloody expensive. If the didn't want me buying so many, maybe the shouldn't have taught me Devour.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Speedball posted:

They're all good. Asking which of them is my favorite is like asking which of your children is your favorite. To me, anyway.

So you love them all, but secretly you love one more than the others and wish a certain game you know which one would get a REAL job.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Having a Persona of the same Arcana increases the 'points' you get from any interaction with that S-Link. Characters you don't use grow cobwebs in the corner, but experience is weighted so if you take your low-levelled chumps into a high-end dungeon, they'll catch up soon enough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Cityinthesea posted:

i'm actually going through EP right now, I have to wonder how people who played it before realizing there was a whole other game before it thought about it. The early story kinda doesn't make any sense without that knowledge.

Considering that it was predated by games like Xenogears and Chrono Cross, Eternal Punishment was probably seen as downright rational and straightforward at the time of release.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Make it back to the entrance of the TV world and grind the lesser dungeons for cash and treasure. If you get low on SP, hang around Yukiko's castle until you luck out on an Arcana chance. Try to get a Persona with Cool Breeze, and once Rise hit level 77 you'll regenerate 5% of your HP/SP after every fight. Even once you've started the final dungeon you're still allowed to go back and shop.

It might be a bit of a slog grinding for Chewing Souls or whatever but you are in no way screwed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's been said before, but Kanji and Chie could really benefit from swapping movesets. Chie's actually fairly well-rounded stat-wise, but her ice skills top out at Bufula/Mabufu. And Kanji has Maziodyne and Matarukaja and Elec Amp but absolutely no goddamn SP. Either way, I played through enough to use everyone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Didn't the first Raidou Kuzunoha game end with a bunch of time travel loving up the continuity too?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ImpAtom posted:

I sort of wish they'd make Negotiation more into "mini-combat" instead. Give your character social skills or something they can learn and have negotiation focus on finding and 'attacking' enemy weak points. It'd keep the talking aspect but make it more interesting. (And allow you to specialize in talking your way out of fights if you wanted.)

Sorta like investing the hell out of charm in a Bioware game but less Select To Win.

There was a bit of this in Nocturne, I think. Certain demons had skills that could help you out in negotiations, like Intimidate and Flatter and Loan. The Demi-Fiend could learn a few of them as well, but you only had eight goddamn skill slots so there's probably something more important to put there.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TurnipFritter posted:

[*]Your main character can't do poo poo besides attack with his sword or shoot with his gun, so that's pretty of lame.[/list]

This is something I really like about Nocturne. In a series where everyone has guns and swords, and a genre where people frequently weaponry taller than they are, the Demifiend is one of the biggest badasses of them all, shirtless and unarmed. It's not even a magic fist or a multi-ki-strike or anything. He just punches so hard you straight-up die.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It kinda is about systems they own, though. I don't have a 3DS or a Vita and have no intention of getting one unless there's some crazy PS4 cross-functionality I actually care about with the Vita. I think it's silly to spend money like that on a portable game console in an era where everybody has smartphones, tablets, and/or e-readers. I wish the loving things would go ahead and crash in Japan too so JRPG developers would shift their attentions to making good mobile games and using the loving fortune to be made off those on next-gen games.

See, I basically feel the opposite. Smartphones cost a loving fortune in Canada and I'd rather play my JRPGs on a system specifically made to play games, than on something that doesn't have buttons, or a control stick. I like all my gadgets to have distinct functions. I wouldn't play video games on an E-Reader any more than I'd read a novel on a PSP. Basically if it were up to me everything would be made for the 3DS. Everything.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Music-wise, I think I prefer Persona 4 for... general purposes? There's a lot more variety in the dungeon tracks, and the song that plays at home doesn't grate like the dorm song did. On the other hand, once you hit January in P3 the soundtrack changes to Memories of the City/School and Living with Determination, which are probably my favorite tracks. Also, I love Burn My Dread (both versions) more that I probably should.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I got lost in that stupid Bomb Shelter in Innocent Sin and completely lost the will to continue.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wasn't there a big hubbub a few months back about Index Holding going down and Atlus being sold off to another company? Did we ever find out who bought them? Google is being very unhelpful and I didn't find anything in the last few pages of the thread.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For Strange Journey I named the protagonist "ACE PUNCHING" and I have yet to regret it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think between Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and Digital Devil Saga, Atlus needs to use some different letters in their acronyms. Or stop saying 'Devil' all the time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I suppose there could be people out there who don't have working PS2s anymore, and physical copies of Nocturne might not be easily accessible. Also, with all the Persona 4 hype going on at Atlus right now it's nice to be reminded that they made a bunch of other rad PS2 games. Coincidentally, how impossible is it to play PS2 Classics on my Vita? Is it possible if I pray and import an obscure Vita attachment or am I going to have to finally buy a PS3/4?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just want to play JRPGs on handhelds, guys. I don't have time to sit at home with a console these days.
:negative:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Now that it's out, I don't suppose the female lead from P3P has any presence in Persona Q? At all?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

hubris.height posted:

complaint: there is no increase battle speed button like eo 4 has. holding a button down does not skip animations and speed up battle text.

Isn't there a menu setting to increase the battle speed? I recall that being a thing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are Force and Wind supposed to be the same sort of thing? Like, from what I've seen SMT games have Agi/Bufu/Zio pretty consistently, but half the time they have Garu and half the time they have Zan, and for a long time I thought they were different names for the same element (but still for no reason) but then I tried to look it up just now and Persona 1 has both. Actually Persona 1 is bonkers, it has 12 damages types or something like thatthat?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The other thing that bugs me about Kanji's arc is that a lot of character development is chained to his S-Link so even if you have him at rank ten and he's making stuffed animals and completely owning his tender-hearted biker punk style, he's still all defensive /in denial /obsessed with manliness in the main cutscenes because thanks for preying on his insecurities, Yosuke. I guess I have similar complaints with most of the main cast that way. Except Yosuke, I can't actually remember what his S-Link plot arc was about. Was it just him admitting to being vaguely resentful and dickish until you punch him? I miss Junpei.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Persona 2 has my favorite Persona designs.

Weird but in the best way.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I asked this already in the 'Before I Play' thread but didn't get any bites, so. Do you guys have any advice for the 3DS version of Soul Hackers? I picked it up some time ago but never got around to checking it out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For me the p3 protagonist discussion is partially a matter of game theme vs game enjoyment. The male lead was basically an ambulatory ghost, and his SLinks felt like wandering up to strangers and staring at them in an emotionally detached way until they have an epiphany. On the other hand, all of those SLinks are about dealing with loss, loneliness , and death, and the fundamental goddamn theme, the heart and core of Persona 3 is, all things are impermanent, but our influence on those we love will long surpass our lives, and death should be neither rejected nor worshipped but gracefully acknowledged.

Or at least that's how I've always interpreted it? And anyway, I always felt that the male lead's detachment was more or less [spoiler]because Ryoji/Pharos incubates in the main character for a decade and literally sucked the personality out of him.

So it all ties together in a grim glorious thematic sort of way

But on the other hand I enjoy being the female lead more. I agree more with her dialogue choices, and the people she hangs out with are more often people I think I would willingly hang out with. For goodness sake the Moon SLink was the loving Gourmet King and he got replaced by Shinjiro aka 'The Best Party Member'. Also you actually get to take your dog for walks.

Also also the male SLinks have the dating mandatory to finish the link so if you want everything maxed out you're cheating on three or four girls at once. The female SLinks make it optional like in Persona 4. Anyway I find her way more likeable than the male lead so I got a lot more emotional at her coma/death at the end than the other guy.

Anyway this is all personal interpretation and what have you but there it is.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 20, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tae posted:

I'm glad you guys are majorily endgame spoiling for a guy that specifically says he's playing p3 for the first time

Sorry, I genuinely forgot the context of the discussion, I just get kinda uppity about P3P.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember messing with the conversation apps a lot in SMT 4, just the pure ridiculous-ness of making bosses lose turns because you ask them about the weather, or begging enemies for money. Or better yet, paralyzing enemies and then just taking all their money. That was a thing, too. I think if you stacked all the recruitment apps together, you'd get a chain of events like: the demon is far easier to recruit, learns an extra skill, has bonus stats, gives you an item and money when it joins, and also recruits a friend. I don't think any if this is, say, optimal but I just like the idea of chatting up monsters.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like they could pull off something like that if they axed the voice acting, but that would be a pretty hard sell these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Three cheers for dickwagon!