Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
playing some persona games for the first time, just general questions

a) i'm assuming stuff like the social skills and getting the free time to max out your links is weighted toward ng+?

b) is it reasonable to play "naturally" and do the dungeons/missions over a few nights on and off over the course of the week, someone told me that the most "efficient" way to do P3 was to literally do all of the dungeon at once which sounded like something an insane person would say

c) how much am I missing if I don't stress about maxing out every social link and just kind of do the simulation stuff naturally

d) in the early stages is it better to get as many social links up as possible, or to concentrate on getting a few of them up as far as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm kind of simultaneously doing P3P and P5. I'm fully willing to NG+ stuff, I was just wondering if I would like, gimp myself because I'm playing in some weird rear end way the developer didn't want or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I did kinda figure that one out

one other thing- if you get the "I don't think my bond will improve yet" message, is that because you need to hang out more, or because it's gated beyond the main quest? Mainly thinking of Cafe Dad here

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
thanks folks! yeah I figured it's probably fine not to stress about optimizing too much, I just wanted to make sure

oh and one more thing, I keep getting told "Hey, why don't you tell everyone what Mishima told you" at the start of free time and I have no idea what this means

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had to look up who DC Douglas voiced in P5 and then had a big "ohhhhhh".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
at about September in P5, and is there any point to the journalist social link? I haven't finished the game by a long shot but this seems like it might be some kind of a weird holdover from when palace security levels actually were going to matter in some early design document of the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ty folks, I'll just play Shogi and get my fortune read instead since that poo poo seems actually useful.

and yeah that's what I figured about security levels. Palaces are cool but the security level thing is one of the more blatant "this was going to matter at some point" game mechanics I've seen

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 5, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hunt11 posted:

What is your currant charm level?

All my skills are 3/5 except knowledge which is 4/5, I mostly boosted charm by books and going to the sauna when it was raining

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ehh I already accepted that I'm not doing all the social links on one playthrough. I already want to NG+ because it's way too easy on, uh, Easy, even considering I haven't done a JRPG since Final Fantasy 8. almost every fight that isn't a boss fight takes 1 or 2 turns at most because of the elemental 1-more system.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm probably going to just to P4G on the Vita/PSTV afterwards before NG+. I was doing P3P as a portable game but it extremely wasn't making any kind of impression, mainly because I'm in like the middle of June and barely anything has happened either character-wise or plot-wise. I heard the game was backloaded but jeez.

someone told me that the P2 games were much more similar to the other SMT games that I can't play cuz I don't have a DS, so I might try that at some point as well, assuming I don't switch to another game series for half a year due to burnout

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it's like impossible to make a 50 hour piece of media that doesn't have some kind of pacing issues but yeah. I played the intro to P4G to check out how it felt compared to the other games and I think that had more interesting things happen than the three months I played through P3P thus far

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had one more important persona 5 question which is how garbage of a person am I if I want to buy the dumb rear end persona 5 dancing game because I want to play as a dancing cat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the localizers said that those changes were instructed by the actual Yakuza devs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the mama barkeeps in yakuza (and P5) come across much more as drag than trans women- i'm guessing that's some kind of cultural thing about the Tokyo nightlife since it shows up in both series

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
persona 5 royal is embarrassingly my happy place game where i can just chill out and do maintenance on the lifesim parts but i really am in the mood for an actual no-bs turn-based rpg that isn't like Dragon Quest

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
persona 5: homophobia evolved

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cdyoung posted:

It had one flamboyant Manikin and they didn't do anything with it aside from it hitting on the MC whenever he bought stuff.

maybe the mc should put on a dang shirt

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Infinity Gaia posted:

The only bad thing about the game being primarily on the overworld is that it means a lack of teleport puzzles.

you're thinking too small. what if the whole world was a teleport puzzle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't remotely close.

It is divided into multiple larger areas which are a bit more comparable to something like a bit more wide open Skyward Sword, not BotW. There is a ton of vertically though. The last area in particular has you going way the hell up.

is it like Nier

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

That is much closer

:cheerdoge:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Shoutouts to the reviewer uneasy about the concept of a femme man, but in an ally way

Lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wtf prima games still exists

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
smt is for the boy's (who look like girl's)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
more games should force you to play as an extremely girlish looking robot boy. based on a sample size of MGS2, Metal Gear Rising and 2021 goty SMTV it is the "secret sauce" to making a master piece of gaming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

Raiden can't turn his hand into a lightsaber and is so inferior.

Also doesn't have the most sassy motherfucker battle pose ever

no but he has high heels that can hold his sword which is extremely good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i can't believe we figured out how to make a guarenteed goty in this thread. good job everyone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think nahobino is a robot

let's call it robot-adjacent

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just do a Mario 2 and retitle one of the SNES Dragon Quests as SMT and replace the slimes with Jack Frosts

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i thought this was coming out on tuesday, not friday. what the gently caress??????

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wish the remaster had turned out better. it isn't bad but felt like one of those early-PS4 remasters where they just didn't put the effort in resulting in weird jankiness like the framerate issues when standards have improved since then

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to play on normal because I'm a normal person

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

real fans are already playing the game but you wouldnt know that

actually criminals are doing that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

wrong its having a canon name and no choice so they dont have to make awkward va

luckily i use japanese VA so i cant tell how awkward it sounds

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My store's shipment of copies got delayed to Saturday. I didn't want to do this but it looks like I shall be buying digital. Smh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SIU Director is finally going to get his chance to shine in persona 5 arena

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am preloading digitally because of the violence of my local store having their physical shipments delayed. This is the one thing I didn't want to happen

Just to make me saltier the people who pre-ordered at that store are getting free steel book upgrades. gently caress! rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My dad works in video game distribution and he's said this has been a nightmare, with product being sent to wrong states left and right. Alot of places just didn't get any at all lol.

for some reason the trucks carrying them kept getting randomly teleported around

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the fusion animation owns lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Booky posted:

maybe i'll just look up protag names on the wiki and mash 2 together
my preferred technique is "random Japanese motorcycle and race car drivers I remember"

E) which led to my first p5 run having the awkwardness of duplicating a NPC name thanks to this dude https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiichi_Kitagawa

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
on a scale of 1/10 how much have you cheated not the game but yourself if you use a guide instead of spyglassing