Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, apparently Catherine did pretty good on its first week. Can we have P5 now? Please? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Justice posted:

So, true to my word, I have started Devil Survivor 2.

So it's basically SMT: Final Destination?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
All I want from a P4P is a different murderer for the girl scenario, just to keep it fresh. There's not much point to the story if the same things will happen again... although I did enjoy P3P's female side story anyway.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

As long as the writing is good, I don't care. After Catherine, I have my doubts.

Writing? In a fighting game? Eh... I'm sure they'll have some nice winning quotes? :)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Ha, I mean mostly with the additions to 4. But yeah, I guess fighting games do call for ridiculous poo poo.

Oh. Whelp, it'll be just as good as P3P's additions, I'm sure. It wasn't that much different anyway.

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also I believe you both meant Baofu McNoLastName

Black Frost or you don't get my money. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Strange Matter posted:

I am distressed whether to wait for P4G or buy the original now. When's the Vita coming out?

If you're planning on eventually getting a Vita anyway, it's pretty much pointless to get the original now.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

It is pretty good so far, but the combat system is still terrible. Still, it's awesome to finally be playing The One That Didn't Get Released.

(But in case anyone is wondering, P1 is still my #1 Persona :colbert:)

How can you say that P2's combat is terrible when P1 has the exact same system pretty much? :psyduck:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

Are you kidding? P1 and P2 are like night and day in terms of combat. P2 is just "set up attacks, hit auto, make a sandwich".

While P2's is "set up group magic thing whatever it's called, hit auto, wait for P5 to get announced". Come on, the game even encourages you to do that by giving you extra stats.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I think Atlus did a better job remaking P1. P2 just feels, well, not rushed, but like they didn't do much to it. There's no fast forward for battles, no new j-pop music (which I actually liked in P1, so there), no new cutscenes save for the intro. Oh, yeah, they translated the game, I guess that counts for something.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh.... ooooooh. Okay.

I still stand by my opinion. I wanted my P3/4 style music even if it doesn't fit at all. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ryoshi posted:

I'm....kind of bad at the PSN.

I haven't heard of any games getting pulled from the PSN like, ever. In any case, if you decide to get them, wait for one of the sales. Atlus has them relatively often.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They're probably too busy with P4P, and so will I be once I buy it. They can take their time with EP. :)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Nessa posted:

Ohhh, ooooh! Have it be someplace remote like Antartica! You're there as part of a research mission and have so many months before you leave. The other scientists won't believe you and won't understand what's going on, so it's up to you and your bunk mates/buddies to solve the mystery under the Antarctic ice! Yeah!

Someone's throwing penguins into the TV!

And then this happens:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It sucks that this game is never getting an HD release because boy would I buy the crap out of that.

Pfft, we don't need no HD re-releases. :smug:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'd buy the crap out of an SMT PS2 Classics bundle. Please do this, Atlus.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Authorman posted:

Um the main theme of the game is looking cool in shades and bear puns and there is zero plot holes as far as that is concerned. The other thing you're talking about hamfisted mythology/previous persona plot retread corner can get dropped like a bad penny. Better some magic and mystery left over than stupid nonsense.

Guys DDS was cool until the second game, then everything went to hell, what were they thinking it was supposed to be about the Matrix rite???

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
What kind of discussion is this? People complaining about an ending that bothers to tell you why everything happened. What the hell? :psyduck:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Well, it has better characters and the gameplay got "fixed", but I still think P3 has the better story.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TheLoser posted:

P3 was riddled with pacing issues while P4 threw you right into the thick of things.

What kind of pacing issues? You knew from the beginning that things would only "happen" once every month. It made me look forward to them while at the same time worry if I'd be prepared enough, at least. I liked it that way.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
How can you guys bear grinding for those tarot cards? I hated that part about P1/2 and still can't get over it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MarsDragon posted:

You don't have to because you can coast through pretty much the entire game on what Philemon hands you. Maybe get a Pixie to give to Lisa in the beginning, but other than that you never really need to grind for tarot cards. You can if you want, but seriously. You don't have to.

I keep telling people this and they never seem to get it.

But then what's stopping me from just hitting select and auto-battling everything in sight (psp remakes)? Screw it, I'll try it that way anyway.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I just finished my fifth day on DS2, and I have to say, between this and Persona 3, you can tell that Atlus really, really likes Evangelion. :stare:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Alteisen posted:

The further I get into DS2 the less I'm enjoying it, its not even combat that's giving me trouble as I'm quite powerful, its how the game just roadblocks you sometimes with some enemies, they assume you've been diligently cracking and seem to prepare enemies that are just roadblocks in that regard.

Bosses are just obscene sometimes, way to many turns and a gently caress you skillset, especially the humans, good lord. Typical Atlus bullshit which I find myself having less and less patience for.

Protip: Fallen and Tyrant demons are your friends. With those in different teams, you'll never have to worry about running out of MP. Ever.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Holy CRAP, the seventh day SUCKS. Multiple turns in a row and something like 6-7 range attacks? Screw you Atlus.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

UselessLurker posted:

Get demons with Evil Flow in at least two of your parties. It'll let you trivialize the almost comical levels of bullshit you have to deal with otherwise (especially on AO's pain train).

I already did that against Yamato after dying 5 times in a row and it completely felt like I was cheating. The "difficulty" on this last part of the game makes no freakin' sense.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Adam Bowen posted:

I don't want to navigate through the last few pages of spoilers for Devil Survivor 2 since I'm just playing it now, so I have one question. Is it still a good idea to max out the Magic stat on the main character and basically ignore everything else like it was in the first game?

I could breeze through the game focusing on Str for my MC with Multi Hit + Drain Hit. Just keep in mind that a couple of guys here and there might show up in the last few days with Reflect, that's when you send your magic users against them.

Oh, and make sure you have some kind of mobility demon on you at all times, be it a beast type, avian, dragon, anything.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dragongem posted:

Wow, day 7 in DS2 really takes the kid gloves off. I appreciate it but the difficuly curve seems jarring- I cruised through days 3-6.

Difficulty curve? I call it outright cheating. At least the difficulty goes back to "normal" on the next day except for the last boss.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oldstench posted:

So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

The story sucks, especially compared to DS1, but like you said, hey... new Megaten! :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

King of Solomon posted:

God, I love the joke answers in this game. They're so hard to resist. :allears:

I have to confess, the best part of the game for me was calling every single person that woke me up a pervert every single day. :downs:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rascyc posted:

I enjoyed it a lot. The music was much better than DS1 which was probably my single greatest gripe.

Uh, I'm sorry, but I don't recall DS2 having any songs that rocked as hard as this. Therefore, you're wrong. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Alteisen posted:

Just like I did with DS2. :iamafag:

Changing the subject for a second, do you guys think we'll see another mainline SMT game ala Strange Journey and Nocturne? Or will it be the Persona stuff which seems to be much more profitable.

They can do whatever they want with the main SMT games, just GIVE US PERSONA 5 ALREADY JESUS. :eng99:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oldstench posted:

Just about to start SJ. Any non-spoiler tips for, effectively, an SMT virgin that will keep me from having to restart?

Don't worry too much about your alignment, there's a point where you can change it to whatever you want it to be.

And fuse constantly.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Neeksy posted:

Especially since they hired the artist who designed some of the angels for Eva to design the septentriones.

This explains so much. :psyduck:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Catalina posted:

DS2 throws a really hard boss at you pretty fast!

You thought Day 2's boss was hard? Hahahaha you haven't seen anything yet. :eng99:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

manny kaltz posted:

So, do you guys think getting Persona 3:FES would be worthwhile?

If you have a PS3, it's only $10 right now. There are worse ways to spend that. :)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Douche Bag posted:

Yeah I chose to throw Namatame in the TV

How could you, you monster :ohdear:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

It's definitely gonna be awesome if you like dating children, which is something that Atlus recently has gained something of a fondness for. Ken-chan :allears:

Counterpoint: Catherine. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

So Devil Survivor 2 FINALLY came in the mail (after 32 days. :gonk:)

I know this has been asked before, but what are the things i should be aware of before i begin? To avoid shooting myself in the foot statwise, and such?

SAVE JUNGO. :ohdear:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TurnipFritter posted:

Force/Zan and Wind/Garu are technically two different things. Garu was introduced in Persona 1, and it's pretty much been used exclusively in the Persona series, except for it appearing in Strange Journey for some reason.

"Expel" and "Curse" have traditionally been the names for those elements outside the Persona series.

But is it the same in the Japanese versions, or is it something that just kinda happened during the localizations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Justice posted:

It's light and darkness in the JP games, I think they just wanted to stay away from that in the very early localization efforts (like how Holy became 'Pearl' in Final Fantasy).

But it was already a game series about summoning demons. :eng99: