Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Definitely going to get Innocent Sin PSP and Devil Survivor 2, very excited about both of them. Not sure about Overclocked, I'm planning on getting a 3DS soon because of the price drop but I'll probably wait to hear how substantial the new content is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Justice posted:

Devil Survivor 2 just came out in Japan, so it's going to be a while before (if ever) it comes out in the west.

Pretty sure I got an email from Atlus a while ago saying it was coming out in February...

e: Just checked. They did in fact announce a North American release during E3, but they don't say anything beyond '2012'. I may have seen the February estimate in a preview article somewhere, no idea if it's accurate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MarsDragon posted:

Those are adorable. I love how incredibly pissed off Tatsuya looks.

...so where's the Igor charm?

It's not Igor without the nose.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I forget, was Meguro already Atlus' music guru back when Persona 2 was originally released or was that somebody else?

e: Wikipedia credits him as working on the original Persona (with like 3 other dudes) but not P2. Doesn't look like he took on the lion's share of composing duties until Nocturne.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Neeksy posted:

Plus, her critical hits in battle were badass as gently caress.

This really bears repeating. I mean, she busts off three shots while slowly walking forward and then kicks the bad guy in the junk or their non-humanoid equivalent. It loving rules.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Is Gungnir any good? I liked Knights in the Nightmare a lot despite it getting ridiculously hard towards the end, but I wasn't particularly enamored with Sting's other games.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing you miss out on is the bunny girl being abhorrently annoying. Excuse me "rilly rilly annoying."

I like to think it's the developers punishing you.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I can't believe people are already finished with the game, it came out on Tuesday.

I just started on Day 3, does the optional fight with Ghost Q show back up later? Because I'm only level 18 right now and I can't figure out how to get to it quickly enough to kill it before the minions catch up, heal it, and then wipe the floor with me. I can't imagine how you're supposed to do this solo at the level range you're supposed to be at the beginning of Day 3, and it doesn't seem to make sense as a NG+ thing because if you've completed the game once already you don't need special mid-level demons.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

UselessLurker posted:

I don't think it does, but the only reason you'd want to waste the half hour in the first place is to have Ghost Q's race skill, which does something like let you immediately take another turn. Apparently even that costs a shitload of MP so you're probably better off with Double Up anyway.

Alright cool, I won't bother with it if it's not that helpful in the first place.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't think Nicaea is as good as the death clocks from DS1 but I think the cast from 2 is better on the whole. Nobody nearly as boss as Gin though.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I really love pretty much every Persona game except for the original. :shobon: I think 4 is my favorite but it's a really hard decision. I'd probably go 4 > 2 > 3 if you put a gun to my head. Pun unintended.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Rinkles posted:

Atlus now have, what, roughly a 4:1 ratio of recycled games to newly self developed ones?

At least Soul Hackers never came out in English before? It's a new game to us, just like Innocent Sin.

Tallgeese posted:

Now if only they would make SMT Ogre Battle.

Don't you goddamn taunt me, you monster.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
As far as I know, Hashino has always been more involved with the Persona franchise than any of the other SMT branches, although a quick Google of his credits indicates he was fairly prominent in the original DDS. Still, I can only assume that the 'numbered sequel' referred to in that article is Persona 5, and if it hit full production last August we'll hopefully hear more about it soon. I wouldn't expect news at E3 though, Atlus probably wouldn't do a product reveal at an American trade show. They've always kind of marched to their own beat with game reveals anyway; I remember Strange Journey was revealed in a Japanese gaming magazine in September the year before it came out, almost directly between E3 and TGS. It seems like they just push the news out whenever they feel prepared regardless of whatever events may be going on around them.

The Atlus game I really want to know more about at E3 is Etrian Odyssey 4. Give me an English release date, I want more RPGs on my 3DS drat it!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I know this isn't technically an SMT game, but since the general Atlus thread is gone it seems like the best place to ask: can anyone tell me about Gungnir? I abruptly remembered it yesterday and after looking it up I realized it's coming out in just a couple of days. I was one of the crazy people who really liked Knights in the Nightmare, so I have a degree of affinity for Sting's stuff, but I know almost nothing about this one so I'm not sure if I should bother with it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Adding Mind Charge to Yukiko's obscene Magic stat and SP pool would make her the best party member in the cast by a wide margin, and she arguably has a claim to that title already.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Are you loving serious? So Naoto just becomes "why the gently caress don't you have this character in your party" now?

Honestly, with the ability to Power Charge Primal Force and lower enemy evasion, Kanji probably made out the best of any of those listed, and unlike Naoto he was already really good in the original release.

I don't know why anyone would ever use Chie even for physical damage anymore if these changes are accurate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
People overreact to basically everything Atlus does now. I won't pretend that some of the changes they're making don't make me roll my eyes a bit, but come on.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Technique posted:

Then again, i guess you guys have a decent reason to play it now. :v:

I saw that email earlier, I'm curious if either of those browser based games are any good. My gut reaction is 'hahaha yeah right'.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Or like, Angry Birds.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

They're going to announce and possibly release the PS4 before it comes out. :allears:

I'd put a pretty good sum of money on Versus 13 never coming out.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Dehry posted:

If it's like Radiant Historia, it will go on sale for $15 :20bux: in a fire sale and then go right back to the $80 mark

That's the nature of Atlus' reprints, you get them at the MSRP for a little bit until stock runs out and then it's right back to the secondhand market where they know they can charge obscene prices because the games are so tough to find. It's why I learned to just cut the guesswork and just preorder everything they put out that I want up front. They usually incentivize it pretty well anyway with soundtrack pack-ins and art books and so forth.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Presumably the American side of the company got the green light to begin localization earlier in the process than usual because it's a flagship release for Atlus. I remember Persona 4 came out like 5 months after the Japanese release, and considering how much text and voice is in that game that's a pretty quick localization too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would be all the way down with Atlus making Skies of Arcadia or Valkyria Chronicles sequels. Hell, if they insist on the dumb-as-gently caress school setting that VC2 had (I guess that was in 3 too, but that never came out here), Atlus would at least probably be able to pull it off a lot better than Sega did themselves.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, it wasn't. Three had you as a member of a squad of convicts that got sent on suicide missions because nobody cares about you. It was anime as hell all the same, but still.

3 was a much better game, and should have come out over here. (There's a patch in the works, fortunately.)

Man, that sounds way better than 2. The good news about stuff like this is if Sega is really gonna let Atlus USA keep operating independently (which seems to be the case, I keep getting emails from them at least) they'll almost certainly pick up localization projects like VC3 that Sega of America previously wouldn't touch. It's not like anything Sega of Japan puts out can be any more niche than the stuff they already do. They put out the Dept. Heaven games in English for gently caress's sake.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Alteisen posted:

Why would they localize a game on a completely dead system...

I doubt they'd touch projects like that anyway, Atlus is pretty smart about what they would choose to localize.

I'm not saying that Atlus will localize VC3, because they obviously won't. What I meant was that if Sega of Japan releases more niche stuff in the future like Valkyria Chronicles or Yakuza or whatever that the American branch of Sega has refused to localize in the past, it would be presumably very easy for Atlus USA to pick up those projects now that they're under the same corporate umbrella.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Is there gonna be a separate P5 thread for people who are playing the Japanese version or are people just gonna talk about it in here?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I honestly don't care that much about spoilers, I got spoiled for P4 well ahead of its English release and it's still one of my favorite games. In fact if the story were to turn out to be complete dogshit and not worth caring about I'd rather know that ahead of time. But really I'm more interested in hearing about new gameplay features, Social Links and their benefits, how the new part-time jobs work, stuff like that. I just want to know if I have to look for another thread instead of just bookmarking this one.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Isn't Morgana intentionally gender-ambiguous too, while we're on that subject?

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Also as a warning P5 is very much like P4 in that it takes for-frigging-ever to get past the initial setup, though you get more dungeon-gameplay in that segment than in P4.

I'm totally used to Persona (and tbh most SMT games in general) starting this way so whatever. The games are heavy on setup, they're 80+ hour RPGs so being cutscene-heavy for 3 hours at the beginning is no big deal.

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I'm really glad we're back to demons. They just have a lot more personality than Shadows.

So there are no shadow enemies at all anymore? I guess that makes sense if negotiation's in, but that is a fairly significant change. I did like a lot of the enemy design in P3/4 tbh, although demon conversations should be fun too.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Not as far as I've seen at least. Every enemy type is an actual demon.

I also gotta say that while I wasn't as down on random dungeons as people were for P3/4, I'm REALLY glad we have actual designed dungeons again. It's a big improvement (though I know there's some kind of random dungeon but even having non-random plot dungeons is fantastic.)

If dungeons don't randomly generate, wouldn't that cut way back on the amount of loot you get while exploring if all the chests are fixed and presumably don't respawn when you come back?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
A couple more questions, if ImpAtom or someone else playing the Japanese version will indulge me:

Is dungeon crawling all done at night? If so, are there other things to do during that time like grinding social stats/specific Social Links that you'd want to do instead? I'm trying to figure out how much incentive there is to do the memento dungeons when you're in between plot events, or if it detracts from your progress in other areas.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Huh, I assumed that with the heist aspect it would be done during the evening period. That puts it in even more direct conflict with working on Social Links and the part-time jobs and so forth, correct?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Checking in as one of the 20 people who bought Raidou 2. My Raiho plushie is sitting on my dresser right now.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Tae posted:

I see a couple vet streamers for jrpgs have about 40-50 by november, with the assumption that they're skipping a couple co-operation links because the schedule isn't FAQed yet.

November is pretty late in the game if it follows the same progression as 3 and 4, but maybe they don't do the time skip between New Year's and March this time? I think my first playthrough of P4 was about 80 hours, I don't think I did absolutely everything that time but I wasn't rushing through it either. My completionist playthrough was almost exactly 100 hours.

Also I saw someone mention the Reaper is still there? Is his design the same?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Also just in case anyone was looking for excuses to argue about timelines.

I didn't play much of the fighting games, but didn't Rise go back to her idol career after the events of P4?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also they're actually pushing it really hard in Japan, it's a much higher budget release this time around. There's persona 5 ads on tv and billboards. I don't know how it did sales wise but there's massive pressure for it to succeed

I know it's only been a few days but while we're on the subject, is there any indication as to how it's been performing in Japan so far?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Baal posted:

PCB is very good though and provided Valerie Arem doesn't loving botch this like she has every non Arena based spinoff and half of ZTD then it'll be fine. I would honestly expect a few VAs and there's some I could list for certain chars right now, but that list is most likely going to end up 80% incorrect because most ADR Directord and Dub Producers do not seem to think the way I do which is for the best most likely.

Well Troy Baker is too big for anime games now so obviously Ryuji will be Matt Mercer, the new Troy Baker

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Neeksy posted:

IIRC, Persona series is a union gig, so you're not likely to get neophyte actors in these roles at least. (Someone who has produced a reel, gotten an agent, and become a union member has to at least have some of their poo poo together.)

Not sure with PCB, it likely comes down to the direction and method. I think the line-by-line dubbing process in most anime makes it difficult to give a consistent performance since you have to worry about the timing/pacing at the moment of the line, rather than the overall performance you can do in pre-lay stuff. Dubbing removes a lot of acting tools.

I don't think Atlus typically credits the English voice casts of their games so they don't have to pay union rates, but maybe that's changed since 4 came out. They were bought by Sega in the time since, after all.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Baal posted:

Oh my god, the third target's treasure is just Bison Dollars.

I hope you finished the dungeon on a Tuesday.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Baal posted:

Yes, 5k yen per call.

lmao really, that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I can't wait for Persona 5: Cooking all Mid-Afternoon.

Would 100% play a Persona-themed cooking game

Saagonsa posted:

Alternatively, I can't wait for P5PC.

I wouldn't hold your breath