Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's apparently always a little nippy where those women are. Should really layer up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Katsudon posted:

I could try looking for them, although like I said it was months ago, I'll have to do a lot of digging.

Yukiko's involves some kind of sakura liqueur though, if I remember right.

edit: couldn't find her translations because I don't have access to where she put them before but I found these and they sound like what I got from her:

Note that the image is not all that big and was hard for people translating it to read so some parts may be wrong.

Couldn't figure out why someone was saying 'kuma' (bear) repeatedly (specifically, for the Shadow drink), until I realized that's probably the Japanese equivalent of all the terrible 'bear' puns that Teddie spouts.

Also 'Sausage' Kahlua for Kanji? Fantastic.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 21, 2012

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I wish these games would find a way to make bosses strategic without just having a mid-battle gently caress-you show up that is literally impossible to plan for unless you know it's going to happen in advance.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Demon negotiation is stupid as hell.

"Let's give demons 'personality'!"
*five types of personality for hundreds of demons*

I don't even read what they say, I just select the first option every time and it works just as often as when I think about what could be the right answer. You can say the exact same thing to the exact same demon and one might join you while the other one gets a free attack. It's ridiculous.

"Do you think I look pretty?"
- Yes
"YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT!"
* attacks *

"Do you think I look pretty?"
- No
"Well I hate you too!"
* runs away *

:wtc:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pierce posted:

I liked the execution in Strange Journey better than the rest. The answers fit the demon's alignment (except on the full moon).

But yeah, I prefer the P3P or Devil Survivor games execution better. The Devil Survivor system is my favorite. I realize it's cheesy but the auctions entertain me.

My favourite is the Raidhou 1 system, as it requires the use of weakness-exploitation in combat, which is what SMT is all about.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Digital Devil Saga was the first SMT game I ever played.

Man, I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Plus it was the first jRPG I played that really bucked the trend of stuff like perky protagonists and a typical pseudo-fantasy world. It was just so drat alien. I don't even remember how I got it; might have just been a $15 impulse buy or having someone randomly recommend it to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

DDS2 was actually my first SMT game and I got when I was about 14 because I watched X-Play and they hyped the gently caress out of the DDS series as great JRPGs even though they had no idea what the hell was going on. I actually understood what was going on well enough in DDS2, but that's probably because being 14 years old I felt like I understood all sorts of bizarre crap.

Ah, you know what, it was probably X-Play that got me to play DDS1, now that I think about it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Has there been any word about localizing Soul Hackers for the west?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kanji Yosuke Chie team 4 lyfe.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Drakenel posted:

I feel like the only one who brought along who I liked and just played the best with what I had. I mean, sure, yukiko comes along because healing but that's about as far as I cared. Kanji was always with me for his :black101: "BRING IT ON"

I'm not saying that Kanji is the best character in mechanics, I am saying that he is a tough guy who knits and hits things with a folding chair, and therefore he is the best character period.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Momomo posted:

Can someone tell me what was so bad about her? You see her once a day and she doesn't even talk that much. It was the equivalent of the emails you got at night in the first game.

Because every time she talked, rare as it was, was terrible. Her style of speech was godawful as a character that's supposed to be your guide or whatever. I selected her at first, saw the first sentence out of her mouth, thought "I want this character to be in my game as little as possible," and promptly restarted.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Got a question about music: looking to find the tune that plays during finishers in Persona 4 Arena. I'm certain I've heard it in a Persona title, I just can't remember where.

For reference, it's the music played below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdGG5DdmOPA

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I doubt there'll be any Persona characters, just because I'm willing to bet that this'll go for more of the 'apocalyptic' look that SMT games (but rarely their spinoffs) have.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, really? What happens in it?

If I remember right, you return to the city when you discover that angels are starting gently caress poo poo up outside of the lockdown, since they have decided to judge mankind. While in the lockdown (after some trouble getting in), you learn that there is a way to seal the barrier and stop the demons, thus stopping the judgement of the aliens, but it requires a sidequest where you power a sword using Gin's Take-Mikazuchi. You take on Belberith and Honda (who wants to use Baphomet to heal his son), and defeat them both. Then, if you've completed the sword sidequest, you seal up the barrier, and eventually eliminate the rest of the demons, saving the world. If you didn't do the sidequest, then the demons continue to pour into the world and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Playing an copy of Soul Hackers - it feels...dated. I can't put into words why, but having things like an excess of information, while not really getting a lot of info, combined with a weird interface and such makes it feel like an older game, and just makes me want to play something more like Strange Journey. Also, combat is strange - it's speedy, but at its own pace, making it really hard to understand what's going on sometimes. Oh, and there're problems with text at times, where the second or third line will be bumped down an extra line - in the case of the third line, this does mean that it's sometimes out of the text box, which just looks sloppy.

Some cool stuff though, such as the way that battle lines are handled (when the person in front perishes, the person behind moves up to take their place), the fully-voiced dialogue, demon loyalty (when it's not irritating, anyway), that sort of stuff. And I'm not very far in the story, but it's starting to get interesting.

Demon negotiation loving sucks though. Christ.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 12, 2013

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

It came out in 1997.

Yeah, I know, but there are just elements of it that date the game. Like, if a new game was made with fancy graphics but the same sort of menu navigation and obscure mechanics, I'd feel the same way about it.

Also, gently caress, never feel like I'm getting any stronger at any point. Party composition is also a lot more important, not just around movesets and stats but personalities too - put a 'Kind' demon in the front row is a lot less useful than the back. Put a 'Fierce' (I think that's the personality type?) in the back and they're going to be near-useless.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Unmature posted:

I think 4's weird production values and presentation cheapen a few things. It may just be that I'm coming right off P4G with it's awesome anime scenes and fully animated 3D cutscenes, but the scenes in 4 really put me off. The fading in and out and static sprites flying around the screen always feel weird and break up the flow.

I agree - Etrian Odyssey 4 really showed what a first-person combat system could look like with full 3D, no idea why the SMT team decided to go with sprites, especially when Nocturne went with 3D models.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I am boring and name him after me, because ~*~IMMERSION~*~.

Except my last name is single-syllable and that really doesn't roll off the tongue when someone refers to you by it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

El Belmondo posted:

Well, looks like that sonograph was nothing related and just a game about babies :wiggle:

"No Monogamy For You, Player: The protagonist has opportunities to strengthen his bonds with seven key heroines throughout the game. Not only does this help you create stronger Star Children, but the girls become more formidable as well, making them reliable partners in battle... and other places."

:gonk:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I did this for P3 and it was an absolute slog, so in P4 I decided on a team and stuck with it for the whole game

Because of the accelerated XP gain it's no problem bringing someone up to speed if you need their strengths/elements in battle anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

From what I understand what you need to know is:

There was an apoclypse. Tokyo was sealed off from the rest of the world. Above Tokyo there is a samurai kingdom run by angels. The Samurai came down to Tokyo and hosed poo poo up. Now demons and angels are fighting with Tokyo stuck in the middle.

Actually since the game takes place three quarters of the way through the original, you need to know the following as well:

(spoilers in case someone still hasn't played SMTIV I guess)
A hero named Flynn came down from the ceiling and hosed poo poo up, taking out the less scrupulous and more aligned groups of humans that were trying to take over. Then he decimated the hold that the angels and demons had on the place, retrieved a powerful sword meant to unseal a great entity, and was on his was to destroy Lucifer and Merkabah, the lord of chaos and emissary to God, respectively.

The game explains this pretty well though, as you're essentially just some guy who has heard a lot about the goings-on.