Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So I started Strange Journey, playing it without guides except the occasional map if/when the need arises, not aiming for a specific alignment. I just started Sector B, and I'm now lawful, which is fine except all my demons except one have a gun weakness and any law demons I can find/fuse have the same. As you can imagine, this does not help my survivability.

Is there some way around this, or should I just ignore the alignment of demons and throw in non-gun weak neutrals and chaoses? I'm not going out of my way to change alignment, I want to play blind and see where it ends up.

Having a mono-aligned team is certainly nice but you won't suddenly start dying because you replace one or two team members with another alignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spiffo posted:

A Teddie romance wouldn't even work, his link levels up through the plot.

Since you can S.Link with everyone in your team anyway, romance-wise they'd probably just take away the female romance options and add some for the males. There are already Just Friends options for the women so it wouldn't even be much work to cut those out.

There'd need to be some editing at least, as even if you do the just friends routes, I think all the women noticably crush on you before you get to the choice point.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Catalina posted:

Tell me about it. NO, MEDIARAHN, COME BACK!

Though that's still second to having this happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMFK9_6Ptw

That video would be more effective if he weren't doing it wrong, trying to fuse all the dynes onto one persona. Element coverage is what switching personas is for. Its supposed to be 3 or 4 passives that you spend a half hour trying to fuse onto one guy.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rentrent posted:

It's mostly that Persona 4 makes it almost impossible to grind early game (being that SP is such a precious commodity that is difficult to almost impossible to recover early game), the only reason you'd grind in P4 is if you're attempting a ODC which is very difficult early game unless you know what you're doing. Instead you'll probably just leave the dungeon, by super awesome and powerful armor and weapons, then run back in and kick the boss' rear end no problem.

Also the game's difficulty curve is a lot more even and fair then other MegaTen games in that as long as you clear past dungeon + current dungeon before facing current dungeon's boss, you're pretty much right where you need to be levels wise, which is certainly not that case for Persona 1 (haven't played 2, nor plan to because P1 was so awful). I believe that's half the reason that boss is so hard for people- there isn't a past dungeon to clear, in addition to there being no sp regen.

That and the fact that you're still getting a feel for the mechanics/have a fairly limited persona selection and little funds to experiment fusing. I know I had difficulty with her my first time, but after I lost interest with my first playthrough, then eventually restarted it, I spanked her feathery rear end with no trouble.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

redreader posted:

Anyone got any persona 4 tips for me? I've *just* defeated shadow rise and want to know if I'm missing anything, and maybe what the best way to spend my time is.

Currently:
top priority is social links. I try to keep them all levelled equally because time spent at the beginning of a link is more likely to level up so it's good to put 3 days into new ones, getting to level 3 quickly. Of course, I get the correct personas to get the most points in the social links.

-social links with all teammates, got them around 5.

-ema link, 4 or 5?
-spoiled rich girl link, 2
-drama link, 3
-sports team link, football, 6?
-young cousin(?) link, got to around 4 but need more understanding or something.
-uncle? Dojima: about 4 or five.

Rainy days (about half the time):
-go and do the chinese diner challenge

Nights when nothing is in the fridge, Dojima etc are not around:
-go to room and ????? What should I do there? Right now I work on the envelopes to raise understanding.
-I have the option of doing day care, and working in the hospital at night.

Am I missing anything? What do my academics need to be, how important is academics in this one? I came top 10 in the last test. My stats are all at 2 or 3 for knowledge, etc. I try to level them equally.

Don't forget to work on Empress once you get your knowledge high enough to start it. Its the only one that doesn't actually require you spending any time slices to level. Also for nighttime activity, read the event books if you have one, as those usually give you gains in multiple stats/greater gains than reading a normal book or working. Drama is worth doing if for no other reason that it gives you shitloads of expression, which you'll need for Hierophant and Justice.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 6, 2011

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welp, now that there's a fighter spinoff, how long until the Super Robot Wars-esque srpg featuring characters from various SMT games?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, that, and I almost never buy a console for one game...

...also what the gently caress is an octopus doing in a river :psyduck:

I don't think that's the same fishing spot. Notice the rocks are completely different from where you cast from before, and the background doesn't really match what should be there. I assume its some new fishing location in Okina or whatever.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

HD version of the recent trailer for Mayonaka Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHKTnDNOpg

For some reason, I really love that Chie actually has God Hand as a move.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Spiffo posted:

Admittedly yeah, I just prefer having control over my party and not taking using up a turn to get up. So basically, P3P's battle system (combining all the physicals into one in P4 was a bad idea and resulted in almost every physical skill being identical).

The bosses in P3 got easier and easier as you went too, although at least Black Frost wasn't so overpowered.

If they diversify the physicals again I would hope that they actually let you choose what weapon your party gets. I find having to worry about keeping both weapon diversity and elemental diversity among your party limits what parties are viable.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

So I bought Persona 4 a couple months ago, asked in here about how easy it would be and such, played up to halfway through Yukikos castle and got distracted by some other game. Sat down and carried on the other day cause I was really enjoying it once it let me out of the very constrained opening (that lasts like 4 hours).

Beat Yukiko's shadow pretty easily at level 14ish I think on the 28th and when she joined my party the others said we should go into the castle again to get her up to speed, Teddie mentioned the shadow that was where she was and I thought "why not". Is he (Contrarian King was his name) supposed to be such a motherfucker or was I just going for him too early? I managed to get him after 4 goes using the lower enemy attack and defense debuffs and putting evade on my characters but one of the attempts he just busted rampage out on the first turn and took the MC and 2 others out in one shot. For future reference when stuff like that happens is that a clue I should level for a bit, fuse something to counter it or just rethink my strategy a little?

Its best to wait to fight him, he's a real bastard to fight at that level. None of the other follow-up bosses are nearly as hard at their intended level.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

Ok, see it's fine as long as I know that. The weapon I got for it seems pretty useful since SP is the main thing that makes you leave a dungeon early so it was probably worth it. I knew he was possible since first time I was so close to killing him until I missed a Bufu and he got a full power rampage out but part of me was thinking "nothing so far has been this hard, you may not be in the right place", they should have put some slightly tougher guards outside or something just to let you know.

Its more a matter of the fact multi-hit attacks like Rampage sometimes just ruin the poo poo of whatever they're used on than any other aspect of the fight. Anything that uses them is pretty dangerous, and when you use them they pretty much obliterate whole groups of enemies as long as nothing's physical resistant.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

vanov posted:

All of the "lol anime" talk is kind of trite. There are actual animes of the anime games. The dork oroborus comes full circle as a matter of marketing. Why yes water is wet.

poo poo, now I have to find a way to use the phrase "dork oroborus" in a conversation at some point.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dante Logos posted:

So guys, remember when a YouTube channel popped up with music that was supposed to be in Persona 5? The one that was a clear hoax? Well, they updated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I702jEFIZ7w&feature=BFa&list=UU3RvLlYTuHzVY5I41P48soQ

I hate the fact that I am being trolled in this manner, but the music is pretty catchy, so I can't complain too much.

And yeah, something based on Egyptian or Norse mythology would be pretty cool. Hell, just something based on Irish myth would be pretty cool.

I'd like Irish if only because then Cu Chulainn would probably stop being a paletteswap of Tam Lin.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

OddObserver posted:

Story-wise, Justice and Hierophant.

P.S. There are ways of beating the reaper in P3 that do not involve cheezing him
with that skill.

Heirophant is good mechanicswise too, since it gets you Kohryu, which is the point at which you can set cruise control and coast the rest of the game.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

I have no loving idea considering I don't think I've ever even mentioned bondage in any post ever.

EDIT: Also, didn't Yosuke have some debuffs, or am I remembering wrong? Either way my party was Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie, with Naoto sometimes getting swapped in if I didn't feel like dealing with the generic enemies.

P4's party was a bit more diverse than P3's, in gameplay terms, and you didn't have any characters who kind of just sucked like Junpei. Naoto had a ton of problems but at least she had a niche, while the P3 party members were both more numerous and fulfilled far fewer roles by themselves. I don't think Shinji even had anything other than physical attacks.

Yosuke had the spell for stripping buffs from a foe if I remember correctly, that's probably what you're thinking of.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Katsudon posted:

Because she can do whatever the gently caress she wants now and not have to worry about being a woman holding her down.

I actually think it looks great and the character development it implies is nice. I still don't care for her character at all but I sincerely love this direction with her design, it makes me just wanna say "you go girl". I think I'm just a sucker for anything where a female character stops pretending to be a man and looks however the hell she wants. :3:

Words cannot describe how happy I am right now.

Other than I need a Vita right the gently caress now. Looks like I now know my graduation present to myself.

But wait wasn't there an article before that said Marie was the "Eternal" arcana? Or was that a mistranslation? :confused:

Aeon is pronounced really similarly to a japanese word that more or less means eternal so I'm guessing so. Someone misinterpreting a word said in an interview or something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I almost always had one of the SP regenerating skills on the protagonist, so I let him take healing duties whenever possible to help conserve the party's SP as a whole.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Does the Persona 4 series on Hulu follow the game pretty well? I like the story of persona games, but they just become too much of a repetitive grind for me. I got to the second shadow boss on P3, and then pretty much read the rest of the story on the wiki. I was gonna wait for P4 Golden, but was curious to know about the story before playing P4A and noticed that Hulu has the series.

P4A is probably the best done adaptation of a video game I've ever seen, so yeah. Its worth watching even if you had played the game all the way through.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Sounds a lot like her VA in P4, where she could've either been the most natural sounding character of the bunch or absolutely terrible.

So you're saying... sometimes, she misses her chance?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Monster designs courtesy of SNES era Squaresoft.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think people were hoping new numbered SMT game would equal revamped designs, rather than resprited and lightly animated versions of the same designs we've been seeing in game after game.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Northwest! posted:

I don't really see why everyone has a problem with Chie considering her voice actor did Erica in Catherine and most liked her performance in that.

Aha, is this our chance?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The GIG posted:

Not true any more, if you max her Bike Link she gets Bufudyne. She's still bad at magic though.

Its not as if this is really a big deal anyway. Magic's main advantage is knocking foes down. Physical moves are just as good for making them die. Pretty sure Chie was the biggest chunk of my damage for bosses late game.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't bother learning anything but the first rank single and multitarget spells for either of those two anyway. They have neither the magic nor the sp pool to make dynes worth casting, so its just more stuff cluttering their skill list. It'd be nice if she got the multi-target attack buff though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Shin Megami Tensei: New Vegas. I like it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the brick DS and the Lite were both region free, but any later editions and the 3DS are locked.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Kohryuu or whatever the name was. The big fuckoff dragon. He was basically my mainstay for the last two dungeons.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Gamefaqs has an adequate guide if you really need one. I don't bother scheduling out my S Links, but I do use it to make sure I answer questions right for social stats/s link progress.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
How exactly is that all that different from calling him senpai? Except in that it doesn't make you feel like a weaboo hearing it? It would be weird and dumb for them to code an extra layer of player aliases into the localized versions of the game.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
P1 was hard to like even when it was new. The concept was cool enough I really wanted to like it, but even then the game mechanics just kept getting in the way.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
And that's why I fused the highest rank of Invigorate I had access to onto basically everything. Up until the endgame when Rise has the skills that have your party regain hp/sp after every fight.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hell, I'm pretty sure even SMT4's environments are more graphics intensive on their own than anything in Nocturne.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always felt a little bad for the basketball guy, since usually by the time I got far enough into those links to learn he had a crush on Chie, I was already dating her.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Golden is already available through PSN, albeit for Vita, and backporting its added content to the ps2 P4 would cost time, money, and manpower that I assume they'd rather be devoting to P5.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yep. It's starting to be a big problem with anime coming to the states. Some companies have stopped licensing their stuff out, and are instead bringing it over themselves, so they can charge closer to the Japanese prices. Really not surprised at that price for P3.

And even things that get released at normal prices tend to be dubbed and have their Japanese voice tracks removed, lest Japanese people import their own entertainment back to Japan more cheaply than they can get the same product domestically.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That was also something added in Golden.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Blackunknown posted:

Perhaps a new Anime Adaptation, if so the only question would be what game they would adapt into an Anime?

Anime adaptations of things are basically used as commercials for the thing they're adapted from. I'm not sure if any of the P4 spinoff things would be worth funding an anime for, and P5 is too far off, so its doubtful.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Doflamingo posted:

I wish they'd give us the option of dual audio now that Blu-Ray is a thing.

They quite specifically don't in order to stop reverse importing. Anime BDs are expensive as hell in Japan, and equivalent prices wouldn't sell for poo poo in the states.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought they were talking about the games themselves? I don't think they include the dual audio in the games because they don't have the money to relicense the Japanese audio for use in a localized release and even if they did, it's more cost efficient to use the money elsewhere than to use it on a thing that appeases a small fraction of the playerbase.

If we're talking dual audio in games, then yeah I'd be all over that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Butt Ghost posted:

I am a bit baffled as to why Dojima still hangs with Adachi. I mean, he pretty much murdered two women in cold blood, indirectly started a series of kidnappings, and almost indirectly killed Nanako. Oh yeah, and he totally tried to kill Dojima's nephew and his friends. Also the whole laughing stock thing.

Because its more heartwarming that way.