Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm not much of a manga reader, but I've recently found the Persona 4 manga, and I've been actually enjoying it. The art and story is pretty faithful to the game, and there are some pretty good moments.

Policenaut posted:

You and Teddie spent a beary long time together.

Okay, now I kind of want to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Wait, so are we sure this site thing is for P4P, and not for the anime or something?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Come on Supercop Chie game!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

So if the fighting game is made by the Blazblue people, I guess we can expect some crazy long story mode? Should be interesting if they have the Persona writers write the actual story. A fighting game. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. :psyduck:

(I'm probably going to buy it Day 1)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Interesting. It looks like some of the stages take are in a Limbo-like place between the real world and the TV world. They look like they're in Inaba, but the people in the background are just silhouettes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It's really not THAT bad, my best friend is a catholic and thought it was hilarious.

Last boss of the game is YHVH and he's a yellow disembodied head that is more or less the Wizard of Oz. Also Satan and Lucifer are fairly big players and Satan works for God/YHVH.

I'm Catholic myself and I don't mind any of the stuff in SMT and Persona. Gotta fuse Lucifer and Messiah to faceroll those last levels of Tartarus!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I don't think I would mind a simple Jack Frost shirt.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Near the end of the trailer with the multiple screens, you can see Kanji wielding a folding chair. :black101:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Rondino posted:

Yosuke's is Captain Ressentiment. Also, I like how they basically just took the Japanese memes about the main character and made them official.

Wait, there are Persona 4 memes? :confused:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'm so sad that Junpei was never a S. Link in the original and FES. We're supposed to be bros. :smith:

Also, after playing 4, it's hard to go back to 3 where there's no "friendship" option.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Nessa posted:

But Yosuke spends the entire game whining about Saki. A girl who didn't even like him, and at worst, outright hated him.

But that's what makes Yosuke's story tragic. You never really know how Saki felt about him. The TV World Saki obviously detested him, but it's later shown that those are only the deepest darkest feelings of a person. It's entirely possible the attraction was mutual. But of course now and forever Yosuke will never truly know. It's like the worst "one that got away" scenario. In a game with a theme of "finding a truth," the fact that this truth is lost forever does make me sympathetic to Yosuke, although he eventually moves on.

But really, Chie is obviously the MC's bro in 4. :colbert:

I'm dumb. Added tags.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 13, 2011

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I apologize for forgetting tags. :(

In any case, I do like Junpei over Yosuke, but both characters are cool. Funnily enough, Persona is one of the few game series where I tend to like most if not all of the characters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I think he means different measurements, not just different units. Though, I wouldn't put it past whoever to screw up the conversions.

As for P4: Ultimate, I just love the fact that all-out attacks are generic launchers.

I love how they're really making an effort to put in details to give the game a Persona 4 feel. Along with the all out attacks, the block animation is the same as the counter/reflect abilities, and there's a "Once More" state, which I'm guessing is some kind free combo opportunity.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

It was mentioned in the Mayonaka thread that Akihiko's scar is from the beginning of Persona 3 when he was attacked by a Shadow.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

LightningKimba posted:

I actually never hated any of the P4 cast at all, rather, I find it a little weird to hate on anyone. Yosuke's immature, sure, but he's also a Sophomore in his class, and in the beginning of the game, you'd know he isn't going to be the brightest bulb on the team. I found him pretty funny throughout the game, and not once wanted to kick him off, since even gameplay-wise, he was useful for his jack-of-all-trades skill list.

I do like the idea of Teddie being Yu's Shadow, it sounds like a funny twist, though by the end of it... Was it canon that Teddie's existence stems from people in general alone, and he developed his own ego? I read that SOMEwhere, but I don't know if it were factual information or not.

I'm pretty sure at one of the conversations at Junes during the late game, Teddie says something to the extent of "I wonder if there's someone out there just like me. Except he's handsome and gets all the ladies." which seems to be a subtle nod to Ryoji. So he could possibly be Yu's Shadow/friendly herald of Izanami?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Wait, so are they going to drive those bikes into the TV or...? :psyduck:

I so want a P4G on console now. It looks amazing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Persona continues to have the most stylin' intros. I'm guessing we'll get a new song as well.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES

Chie's "All right, let's do this poo poo! :black101:" look is killing me.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yukiko looks so gosh darned happy on that scooter. :3:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I'm guessing it's because of the bulky hoodie, but Chie looks like she's in an uncomfortable position. Her expression is the best, though. The sketch of Naoto in the link is badass.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, Chie's VA not coming back is a bummer, but I can't complain about the replacement. I thought Fitzgerald did a great job as Erica in Catherine.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

...Wasn't there a Devil Summoner anime or something like that? And didn't DDS have a beach scene? This series is pretty anime.

EDIT: Actually, three animes before the Persona ones! Including a children's show!

I guess I'm ruining the franchise because I don't regret buying 3, FES, and 4, and I do plan on buying Arena.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 16, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You rarely spend time in the menus in Catherine, though, so you don't really have the chance to enjoy them, haha. As it was stated before, Persona 3 and 4 are the only games with that kind of interface. I hope they continue with it, though. I do agree that they are very aesthetically pleasing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Dastardly posted:

I'm more weirded out about how people take things way too seriously and make out Yosuke to be the biggest homophobe on earth and Yukiko a psychopath that hits people and pushes them off cliffs onto rocks.

I'll admit that the first time I played through that scene I thought the nosebleed was from Kanji starting to bleed again from the beatdown Chie gave him, and that Yukiko got the wrong idea. But yeah, not taking that scene as a comedic anime hijinks scene is silly.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

One of the first screenshots of Arena was Kanji ground n' pounding Yosuke's face in.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Catalina posted:

I'm lucky in that I discovered Atlus games through Persona 4, so a lot of the games remade are brand new to me.

Well, even if they weren't, they'd probably hit my wallet anyway, as I'm the type of gamer to replay games 5+ years afterwards, and remakes tend to be very enticing.

ETA: ^^^^^^^ Guuuuuys, stop it! I'm playing Persona 4 right now and really enjoying it, stop making me visualize a Persona 5 that's not a perfect sequel!

Persona 5 is probably gonna be awesome, so I wouldn't worry. :) I think I may start another run of 4 in the meantime.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Lotus Juice owns. :colbert: The music for this one is still good though.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 17, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

Lotus Juice is fine, but I don't think he fits with EP or IS.

True enough. I haven't played EP or IS, but from what I've seen I could see why the style doesn't fit.

TurnipFritter posted:

Also, it looks like P4G has a C/15+ rating in Japan instead of the B/12+ rating that the PS2 version had. Huh.

Gotta adjust for those animated hot spring scenes! :shepicide: (In all seriousness, that is kinda weird the change was made. And I'm kind of surprised that it didn't have a higher rating already because of well...Mara.)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

What's with the random items in everyone's hands? :psyduck:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I actually like the chill nature of the song. Sounds like something to cruise to while on your cosmic bike.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Chie, why are you air humping?

I like the little background details during the character reveals. Yosuke has a kunai and what appears to be a chakram, Chie has her pins, and Kanji has lightning bolts and little bunnies. :3:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Chie's new VA sounds good in Arena, but I'm not sure yet with Teddie. Need to hear him give a bear pun before making judgement.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

It could be possible it's hinting towards a P3 series? Considering how popular the P4 one is, I wouldn't be surprised if they would make another one.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Lucinice posted:

I hate to be mister unpopular oppinion but having Dojima as the killer would have been the worst thing ever. I'm sorry but that would just be too hearthbreaking considering what you go through with him and Nanako, it would probably make me not want to play through the game again. Actually funny story about the killer's identity, according to atlus at some point both Teddie and Naoto were written as the killers

I totally agree with you. stuff that really disturbs me makes me go sour on a game no matter how good it is. It's weird because I love depressing stories like Nier as well, but I guess it's the idea of a family member being a killer really gets to me.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I think someone mentioned that Naoto's buffs were false, but it hasn't been confirmed. As for Chie, faster God's Hand is nice, but drat I wish she got buffs on the same level as Kanji.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Looks like Rise and Yukiko got new hairdos as well. And uh, I guess Chie let her hair grow out a bit? And I like to think Kanji's new style is due to his mother nagging him.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Chie continues to own by playing the best instrument.

EDIT: And apparently the opening song from Rise's introductory episode in the P4 anime is back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGBiDdgeoT4

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 19, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

:psyduck:

I believe the bottom row are the alcoholic ones.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 20, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Now I want to see Jack Bros: Black (Frost) Ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

In all fairness Lucifer and Satan are considered to be different from each other I believe.