Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

One problem with a P4P: severe lack of dateable guys. Once you eliminate the ones with existing romantic entanglements and/or incompatible preferences, that leaves, what? Kou (boring) or Teddie (:gonk:)

Maybe they could give Funky Student a social link.
Come on, don't you want to date Naoki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

People really oversell how difficult Nocturne is. There's a couple of moments that can definitely trip you up if you just mash poo poo together (that can work in the Persona games, but not really in the rest of the series), but the game isn't the I Want To Be The Guy of JRPGs that some people make it out to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

1) Did you do your first runthrough on normal?
Why wouldn't you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked Tales of Vesperia's boss trophies, but then again considering its battle system it could make trophies that were actual skill-based challenges and not GRIND FOR FIVE YEARS.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Technique posted:

I will only accept a Nocturne remake if it has even more music. :colbert:

Seriously, Meguro REALLY needs to go back to that style someday.
You can see that style in a couple of Persona songs.

Also for a P4P, the wonkiest possibility I can imagine is a Teddie romance. I have no idea why but even just the idea blows my mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

So I'm sure this is a dumb question but what exactly ties the "main series" SMT games together? I mean they're not in any kind of real continuity, are they? I've only played Devil Survivor and Strange Journey from the main series and all four Persona games (well, and a brief stint on SMT: Imagine - sooooo much wasted potential).

I'm looking to grab Nocturne next if I can figure out a way to safely stash a PS2 Slim, controller and connectors in my carry on bag.
Some of them share universes, (The Persona series is implied to all take place in the same universe, and it's outright shown that P4 and P3 do), and a couple of demons or sidequests reference other SMT games, but there's not really any real continuity. Like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, it's mostly the shared themes, gameplay mechanics, and concepts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I can't even tell who Eikichi's trying to cosplay as. .gif rules is the best possible way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justice posted:

I hate you, Yuri Lowenthal :argh:
Yuri Lowenthal is the best. gently caress you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Fox better be playable or I will be literally mad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Or it might be a primarily Persona 4 fighter with a couple of Persona 3 cameos.

EDIT: v Bear Patrol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Writing? In a fighting game? Eh... I'm sure they'll have some nice winning quotes? :)
They probably meant the remake's new dialogue.

EDIT: Also I believe you both meant Baofu McNoLastName

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Assuming that the protagonists from P3 and P4 are characters in the fighting game what are they going to be named?
The P4 Anime is giving the protagonist the name Yu Narukami, so probably that.

Maybe they'll stuck with the manga's name for P3's?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FINALmasa posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure a licensed fighting game is doomed to failure. Has there been a good one that doesn't involve Marvel?
JoJo's is licensed, you know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Well he's on the character select so maybe he got better.

edit: Igor being in the background on the character select screen makes it look like he's just decided to start up his own fight club. :dance:
But that's Yuu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also one thing nobody hasn't pointed out is Rise in the upper corner of some of those in game screenshots. I guess she's the game's running commentator?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justice posted:

I know you guys are too cool to like certain aspects of the game, but those aspects are the reason they were able to remake it twice and sell nearly combined million copies. I guess it's like democracy, there always has to be some vocal minority crying out against what works for everyone else.
The Aigis robo-finger scene just sorta creeped me out. If I'm a bad fan for that then I guess I'm a bad fan!

EDIT: Also if games like Record of Agarest War and Ar Tonelico got translated, this would pretty much need a hardcore sex scene to not get translated.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 1, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fanservice helping sales doesn't make fanservice good and pure and right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doorselfin posted:

GameSpot has their review of Innocent Sin PSP up, and the results aren't great. Seems like it copped a lot of the criticisms of the first Persona remake:

http://au.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/persona2tsumi/review.html
International Cricket Champion 2011: Better than Persona 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P2 isn't much more grindy than P3, and as I recall the PSP remake alleviates some of the grinding anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Dude, what is your issue? P3/4 are, in overall terms, better than P1 and P2. They are more enjoyable, a smoother ride, with less endless grinding and more enjoyxability. Sure they are gonna milk the Datijg sim poo poo forever, but so is Bioware, and Im betting dimes to dollars you own all of their twisted nethers.
He never said anything about what you're arguing, though? He just said P3/P4 had some of the same problems as P1/P2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Kinda pretty.
The soundtrack box is drat pretty, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Is there really a person out there who looks at that soundtrack and goes "Yes, this is what I want. I want 6 discs of Persona 2: Innocent Sin remixes."
Me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You have to spend a couple hours in training mode with a character in any fighter to not be terrible with them. Even in Street Fighter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm playing Persona 4 and, surprisingly, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The only issue I'm having is with the fusion system. It seems so complicated. How necessary is it? Can I ignore it can complete the game? If not, could someone explain it to my stupid rear end?
You can't outright ignore it, but you can generally just mash demons together, take whatever you think looks good, and move on without actually paying attention to the finer details of it.

EDIT: The one piece of advice I will give you though, is use buffs and debuffs if you aren't. They're incredibly important, unlike in most JRPGs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blhue posted:

Welp, now that there's a fighter spinoff, how long until the Super Robot Wars-esque srpg featuring characters from various SMT games?
Include Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center characters and that's a day one for me.

Actually it'd be day one either way but.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

casual poster posted:

My impressions of the different endings is just that one is sad, happy and neutral. Am I right?
Aren't there more than three endings in nocturne?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Yukiko is basically the definition of femininity. She represents everything you fear about women. Youd like her if she was some braindead BAKADESUNE slut who fed you sushi and wept with joy when you remembered her name.

In fact, I would venture forth that Yukiko Amagi is a portrait of Japanese feminism. I wrote my WMST paper on her. Got an A+.
This but without the ironiy. (This is ironic, right?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can you really blame him, though? He's had attitudes like that beaten into his head his entire life. I might be misremembering, but I think he gets better about it as the game goes on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, really. Go to any American high school and you'll see tons of kids making comments like that. Yosuke was being a cock, don't get me wrong, but he got over it and treated Kanji as a friend and someone he could trust.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first Shadow Hearts handled it's setting pretty well though. Good use of both the time frame and setting. Plus like a fourth of the game took place in China?

Haven't played the second and the third was pretty much intentionally ridiculous.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You do realize Persona 4 is a shin megami tensei game, right?

EDIT: Okay yeah the series just might not be for you if you hate mythology in your video games. Because. That's what the entire series is. Mythology. That's kinda what it does.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 18, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

btw pretty sure Persona games aren't SMT games.

Oh also there's other stuff, like Kuromaru's (many) similarities to the dog from the first SMT. And the fact that they have the same composer. And demons. They're all spin-offs, at the very least. Do you think Final Fantasy Tactics isn't a Final Fantasy game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

I'm not saying that they aren't related to SMT, I'm saying that "well Persona 4 has Shin Megami Tensei right there on the box so obviously it has to be about mythology" isn't right.

e: and the vast majority of the game absolutely isn't about mythology.
Yeah except for the part where you're summoning mythological figures from your brain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Your crew of Pokemon having funny names doesn't inform on the main conceit of the game.
Which is mythology. Christ. Izanagi. Izanami. Do you not see the loving connection here?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justice posted:

You missed it about ten pages back, people were discussing which evangelist anime you should read in order to enjoy Persona 4's references to it.
Who actually said this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure that was an extended joke? Could be wrong here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you have a PSP, Persona 3 Portable would definitely help smooth out the transition. You can actually control party members in that game!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justice posted:

God dammit endorph what the gently caress did you do this time
I have no loving idea considering I don't think I've ever even mentioned bondage in any post ever.

EDIT: Also, didn't Yosuke have some debuffs, or am I remembering wrong? Either way my party was Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie, with Naoto sometimes getting swapped in if I didn't feel like dealing with the generic enemies.

P4's party was a bit more diverse than P3's, in gameplay terms, and you didn't have any characters who kind of just sucked like Junpei. Naoto had a ton of problems but at least she had a niche, while the P3 party members were both more numerous and fulfilled far fewer roles by themselves. I don't think Shinji even had anything other than physical attacks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 12, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

But the thing is Naoto cut her hair because she wanted to look like a man, not because she particularly enjoyed it. A woman with long hair isn't necessarily 'conforming to what society thinks a woman should look like'. Maybe she just, y'know, likes having long hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Note the scar.