Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Does anyone know if Persona Q is going to take place in the same continuity as the fighting games? Or has that not been talked about yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
3DS games are all region locked, so unless you have a US 3DS, you (and me) are poo poo out of luck :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Answer is 90% dungeon crawling so I guess play that if you already have FES and you want to crawl some more dungeons.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

fount of knowledge posted:

For what it's worth I beat FES and The Answer on hard difficulty and had a really fun time, then when I tried to play P3P I was turned off for the exact reason you stated.

Like, I get that it's largely a cosmetic difference, but the jump from "moving my character around a 3D world" to "menu-based screen transitions" completely tanked the game for me.

Jumping in to say that this has basically been my experience too, P3P just made me feel way too far removed from the proceedings of the story compared to my experience with FES.

It really is a shame too, because I can totally sympathize with people who say the female route is more fun - I don't have as big a hateboner for the way the male MC's social links are handled as some people seem to, but in a lot of ways the female MC is much more enjoyable to play as. The gameplay tweaks definitely aren't unwelcome either, although I'd hardly call 'em dealbreakers. My characters never really got tired in Tartarus before I got tired of dungeoneering and wanted back to the social stuff, so that was never an issue for me.

I guess you can sit on your thumbs and hope that someday a truly "definitive" version of P3 will be released if you want, but I wouldn't hold out hope.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I was gonna get a US 3DS to avoid having to deal with the inevitable year-long wait for Persona Q anyway, might as well use it for SMT4 as well.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
All I'm really hearing here is "more reasons to sell your EU 3DS and import a US one"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, at worst you might get it ten months later like Persona 4 Arena.

Ugh.

Do not talk to me about The Only Region-locked Game In The Entire PS3 Library in this, the Year of Persona.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
ATTN Eurogoons: Persona 3 FES is finally on the European PSN store!

Shockingly, unlike the Ghostlight-published PSP releases of Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Persona 3 Portable, it's not even 4 times as expensive as in the US! What crazy times we live in.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Instant Grat posted:

ATTN Eurogoons: Persona 3 FES is finally on the European PSN store!

Shockingly, unlike the Ghostlight-published PSP releases of Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Persona 3 Portable, it's not even 4 times as expensive as in the US! What crazy times we live in.

As an addendum to this, it seems that Atlus are actually publishing it themselves, like they're doing with the digital version of Conception II. I'm liking this new self-publishing-in-Europe thing that Atlus has going on - maybe we'll actually get some of the upcoming Persona games in something resembling a reasonable timeframe!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nate RFB posted:

Is this "Atlus" or "Atlus US"?

The SEN store page just mentions "Atlus" as well as Index. This is as opposed to (for example) the P3P page, which mentions Ghostlight as the publisher.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Seriously? They can release Conception II and P3FES over here without a third-party publisher, but SMTIV is just not happening?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
In case you are one of the 2½ people besides me that care about this:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is he not gonna be in Q at all? That's a shame, I always liked his VA.

His Japanese VA died, and re-casting VA's is apparently not a thing they do much in Japan.

efb

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Kind of a bewildering move to put the original release up there rather than Golden, but architecture platform licensing something something I guess?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm just saying how much work would it really be to port Golden to the PS3? I know at least some work must go into PS2 classics since PS3s can't play PS2 games natively, how much more comparatively would Golden have been?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
So if it is just running in an emulator, then why can't the PS3 play any arbitrary PS2 disc? I'm so confused :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Blhue posted:

And even things that get released at normal prices tend to be dubbed and have their Japanese voice tracks removed, lest Japanese people import their own entertainment back to Japan more cheaply than they can get the same product domestically.

That is also the reason Persona 4 Arena was region-locked, IIRC.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I picked up Innocent Sin when it went back up on the PSN store a few days ago, and I have a couple of questions:

- I gather that one of the characters was also a party member in the first game. Am I missing out on anything not having played that?
- I have trouble bringing myself to kill the monsters because after talking to them they're all way too loving adorable, what do i do

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Artix posted:

Innocent Sin is the first game, Maya becomes the protagonist of Eternal Punishment.

I meant the first Persona game! :v:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I was actually about to ask if Innocent Sin is gonna start getting hard soon - I just finished the second dungeon (the red disco-place where everyone is wearing masks) and so far my SP recovers so quickly that it gets completely restored before every battle, and even in boss fights, getting one character to heal every two turns or so usually does the trick for keeping me alive.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

alcharagia posted:

Can't wait until they release Persona 3 again

This but unironically

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Really?

loving REALLY?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How is this in any way better than Persona 3 Vita, how is this what you go with

this is so stupid oh my god

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
So apart from Yet Another Goddamn Anime, what actually got announced here

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

alcharagia posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISC INTO THE VITA. IT'S PERSONA 4 GOLDEN AND RIGHT THERE AND THEN I START DOING THE MOVES ALONG WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, YU NARUKAMI. I SUMMON EVERY PERSONA AND I SUMMON EVERY PERSONA HARD. MAKIN WOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I KNOCK DOWN SOME SHADOW BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I HIT IMMUNITY. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SOLVED INABA'S MOST DIFFICULT MYSTERY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE THAT PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL MOLEST PEOPLE IN BEAR SUITS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

laplace posted:

Persona 3 just has a bad dub in general. I'm glad I played through it in Japanese because any more listening to Tara Platt as Mitsuru or Vic Mignogna as Junpei would have killed me.

How dare you sully the name of Rick Pastrami, saviour of Anime

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Strange Quark posted:

Turns out there are no canon names for the P3/4 protags, since you get to enter in names for them.

I am disproportionately pleased by this. :allears:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Momomo posted:

I'm completely convinced whoever wrote Junpei's line in the answer merely forgot Chidori could be revived. I don't think they'd add that in just for it to be noncanon.

edit: Or the Answer was written before FES' additions were finished, so they hadn't actually added that scene yet. Reviving her is FES only, right?

And P3P if i recall. I'm sure it wasn't in vanilla 3.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out yet, but here's a screencap from Atlus' P4U2 site:

Turns out Rise isn't in it after all, and we will instead be playing as her long-lost evil twin. Bummer.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I only just now found out about all the voice actors getting replaced for Ultimax and Q. I legit don't know if I even wanna play them anymore if Troy Baker isn't Kanji :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ue1JPFXEU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My tv used to have residual images of the UI overlays on it for days 'cause i left it on for hours whenever it was cloudy and Heartbeat, Heartbreak was playing

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Obviously.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sea Sponge Run posted:

is the anime where adachi's voice is super fuckin weird

The problem is that Adachi and Narukami are voiced by the same guy. In the game, that's fine, 'cause Narukami never says much of anything that isn't the name of a Persona, but when both of them have to talk, they can't have the exact same voice. So in all the spinoff media where they're both present and saying mouthwords, the voice actor turned the goofiness up to 11 for Adachi to differentiate them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'd honestly consider buying a Switch just for that. Vita all over again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I saw some of Kaneko's artwork of Raidou Kuzunoha, and he looks dapper as hell. I've never played either of the games, what are they like?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Moltrey posted:

the persona world guide does mention tho that everyone in the velvet room is aware and perturbed by how long igor's nose is, but get over it and just never say anything about it

In Margaret's Slink in P4, she'll comment on one of the Personas you turn in and say something like "This is a very powerful Persona... I might even be able to defeat my master with this. Wait, no, this Persona's nose isn't long at all. I would never be able to defeat my master with this."

At another point, she tells you of a traditional Velvet Room chant, passed down from attendant to attendant: "What happens in the Velvet Room, nobody knows / but the master has a very long nose"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rirse posted:

Wow your weren't kidding about me being underlevel. I am level 41 starting the Bunker and decided to look up what Naoto joins at. She joins at level 55, which is the average level for fighting her Shadow!

Good tip for gold hands: Get yourself a Tao Tie - it's a Level 35 Tower persona, and since it's the lowest level Persona of that Arcana, you can make it for super cheap. It learns both Megido and Mind Charge, which is a real good combo for taking out gold hands.

Here's a list of recipes: https://wasuregusa.github.io/persona-fusion-calculator/4g.html#/persona/Taotie

Keep in mind that for Triangle fusions, it's important which of the three ingredient Personas has the highest current level, so just find the cheapest recipe that lines up with your compendium.

You said you've already got Megido though, so alternatively any other Persona with Mind Charge will do fine, since you can use a charge from one Persona with a skill from another Persona no problem.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
More general dungeoneering tips:

• It's super-easy to get Player Advantage. Even if the shadow is looking right at you, just run right up behind it, turn on a dime and smack it in the butt while it's still doing its "Aha! I see you there!"-animation. 9/10 attempts you should be able to do it without a problem.
  • For Golden Hands: You run ever so slightly faster than them. If it starts running before you can hit it, just run after it until you feel you're close enough, then swing your sword - you probably don't need to be as close as you think you do. If Kanji has Masukunda (he gets it from his Slink, I think), that helps out with making sure your attacks connect on them. Chie's Tarukaja can help make sure that a single mind-charged Megido(la(on)) takes them out.
  • Focus on leveling up the Fox's Slink. At max rank, it only charges 1/4th as much as it does at the beginning per SP you need to restore. Keep in mind that turning in a completed request takes time, but picking up a new one doesn't. Also keep in mind that you can turn in requests on rainy days, where most of the other Slinks are unavailable. The Fox also has a modifier on how much it charges, depending on its mood (changes from day to day). You can tell how it's feeling by whether it yips, says nothing, or growls at you when you talk to it.
  • Don't be afraid to use items. That's what they're there for.
  • Auto-Kaja and Auto-Makaja skills are insanely useful, especially Taru and Suku. Putting together a Persona with one or more of them, equipping it, and then turning off Persona Memory in the settings will let you start every fight with a bunch of buffs.

I'm not gonna start listing my favorite Persona setups because that's a conversation with a million opinions that never ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

atholbrose posted:

1930s Japan

Raidou is the 14th in an esteemed line of devil summoners

you and one demon and a sidekick cat

a sword and a gun

mind reading, flying

Shoji Meguro

polygons-on-prerendered-backgrounds

I am extremely into how this sounds. Are the downloadable PS2 Classics versions fine? I'm in Europe, so physical copies of the first one cost an arm and a leg, and the second one never got released here at all.