Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Hey, I'm playing through Nocturne for the first time, just beat Matador, and I had a question about the Candelabrums.

Does lighting them screw anything up later in the game, or does it just let you explore the Kalpa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just lets you progress in the Labyrinth of Amala
e: Only possible effect is if you finish them all you get locked into a specific ending (The best ending :smug:, but still) so watch out for that if you're going for one of the other ones.

Great, thanks for your help.
I'm already kinda dedicated to that ending, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

So, I'm around 40 hours into my Nocturne playthrough, in the Fourth Kalpa.
Minutes away from fighting Beelzebub I get cursed for the first time.
That was not a fun fight.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Wow, the fighting game really does look like the game I never knew I wanted. It looks so freaking cool. :swoon:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I really want to be excited for SMT IV. I absolutely adore Nocturne, and I like a bunch of other SMT stuff.
The thing is, I've never liked the idea of first person combat. It completely took me out of Strange Journal, I felt like I barely had agency over the team. Having one perspective for multiple characters has always been offputting to me.
Can someone here tell me why the first person stuff doesn't bother you, or even why you like it?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Terper posted:

If Nintendo gets Atlus (which is what I'm rooting for) then in a distant future we might have Jack Frost Smashing with the rest of the Bros.
Which would be great.

Also, new Persona 3 Movie trailer, that's still a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDyDg76rcw

I wonder how they'll handle Igor, since his Japanese VA passed away a few years back. I've been worried that they'll get rid of the character by the time Persona 5 comes out, I hope they find an alternative.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

wiregrind posted:

After hearing about the possibility of a Persona 5 game in the future, I started wondering what kind of setting and style they will use for it now. I hope it draws more inspiration from Persona 4 than from 3, the Tsuritama mood fits Persona really well.

It's kinda looking like it'll just pick up where P4 Arena left off, which I'd be pretty disappointed with.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Well that's a huge load off my shoulders. I thought I'd have to restart the game and just grind on every day to do this. I guess Lv70+ just isn't enough :v:

e: WHAT THE gently caress HE KILLS EVERYONE IN ONE HIT

You got all the way to the final boss in an SMT game before that happened. You should be grateful. :unsmigghh:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

SMT x Fire Emblem was.

What can this even be at this point? I remember reading that a full, highly produced Fire Emblem on the Wii U would require several hundreds of thousands of copies to be sold to break even, so running on that wouldn't a similar crossover be just as expensive. I'm assuming it's a turn based strategy game, but even if it's a different genre I'm still really surprised this isn't a 3DS game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Fooley posted:

I'm finally getting around to P4G. Do you eventually get to fully analyze demons like in P3? Teddie doesn't tell you poo poo and I liked not having to experiment every time I saw something new.

Not really, no. You can eventually get one weakness revealed, but it doesn't work like it does in P3.

E: guess it was added in Golden near the end of game. My bad.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 17, 2014

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

This is a lie. You'll be able to see all of an enemy's stats with the third-tier Persona of your analysis person, but that's only available after the December dungeon.

Not so much a lie as a mistake, but nonetheless it's very near the end of the game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

There are so many PS2 JRPG's I would burn through on a Vita. Bravely Default and P4G spoiled me on JRPG's with quick startup features.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Krad posted:

This is true.

Also, P3 FES is tons better than P4. Yeah, I said it.

All those times Mitsuru cast Marin Karin instead of Media when I was at low health begs to differ.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

laplace posted:

Alright, I'm playing Nocturne, going for the TDE. How should I level the demi-fiend? Does it really make or break the game like it did in SMT1/2? Or are there viable builds for all stats like in 4?

Also, I hear that there's something important to do with Pixie. Do I need to keep it the way it starts or can I evolve it/level it/etc? Don't accidentally want to gently caress myself out of the ending.

Thanks.

Go Physical and get Fog Breath, laugh as every boss missed you 80% of the time while you punch them in the face. Or just do whatever you want.

For the Pixie thing, just make sure whatever you fuse it into doesn't leave your party. I'm pretty sure it always stays at the top of your demon list. That said, pretty sure it has nothing to do with TDE, just a little bonus room.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

What are the stats I should be prioritizing for Nocturne?

Punch everything to death with Physical, and keep Pierce. Get Fog Breath and other buff/debuffs.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

DoctorX posted:

Did you mean Focus instead of Pierce?

I think I might have, good catch.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I understand why they're doing it, but the Velvet Room squad is really missing something without Igor. It doesn't feel right. :(

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

The Machine posted:

Hey, they made three versions of Person 3 - maybe they'll make four versions of P4?

I still remember when Atlus came out and said there would only be one version of Persona 4. There isn't even just 1 version of the drat anime!

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I'm starting up Digital Devil Saga for the first time, beat Nocturne a few times? Is Fog Breath + Physical still as viable as it was there? Anything else to know going in?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I was definitely planning around Fog Breath, so all of that was super helpful. Thanks a bunch.

Is the game as difficult as Nocturne, generally? The first few areas have been cake compared to Nocturne's, for what it's worth.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

Is there something I'm missing that would make this game actually fun or should I just go play something else?

Just go play some Digital Devil Saga. I'm playing it for the first time having beat Nocturne a few years ago, it's the closest I've gotten to it since.

That said, you really shouldn't need to grind to beat SMT IV. I didn't like it a whole lot, but not for that reason.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I really like being able to close the 3DS to stop playing whenever I want, but being able to save at any time can really limit dungeon design. It's why I like stuff like Resonance of Fate's quick save system.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I'm still convinced Persona 5 doesn't exist. It'll just be a documentary on being locked into making another samey game in a series and/or constantly shoveling out P4 spinoffs.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Was that Velvet Room remix in the original game?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Excels posted:

playing The Answer was like pulling out your own teeth

Seriously. Just google the one thing that happens, it's not worth it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is there any indication that all these PS2 classics and stuff will end up on the PS4 soon? I have a PS3 but I don't want to get a bunch of games I can't play on the new console.
It seems they're aiming for PlayStation Now to provide that over doing the work on emulation.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Man, that Igor replacement better not be permanent if he factors in to P5.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Put FES on the Vita, put P3P on the PS3, don't change anything about either version.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Okay the protagonist is a high schooler who lives in Japan we know literally nothing more than we did before. That's a cool logo though.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Look on the bright side, Persona 5 is on region free platforms so you could just import it!

That's what they said about Arena! :gbsmith:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it, but that game is exactly what a game called SMT IV should have been.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Is there a reward besides bragging rights for a 100%ed compendium in Persona 3 FES? I doubt I'll ever get there, just curious.

Nah

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Samael posted:

guys, it's out, it's really out! the wait is over :frogsiren:

Prepare to replace your disappointment of not having it released in your territory with the disappointed of what SMT IV actually is!

Which is fine but not worth waiting 18 months for.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Isn't Neutral a pain in the rear end to maintain? I didn't even bother worrying about what alignment I was in because I didn't feel like keeping a running tally.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Dojima wasn't voiced by JYB so that theory just makes no sense.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

If they just established a last name beforehand and let us pick a first name then we could get past the incredibly awkward dialogue where no one ever refers to you by a name.

Thats a sick new avatar Naut-kun

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

i think the zohar is god's penis

^^^ for those of you who hate time math, 9 AM pacific is roughly nine hours from the time of this post.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

how much do we know how much the protagonist decision matters in PQ?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

there's an automap???
goddamnmit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Zurai posted:

OK, first real complaint: when you get an "upgraded" version of a skill -- Garula vs Garu, for example -- the game automatically replaces the lower level version even if there's still room in the character's skill list. This is a serious problem because Garula costs 28 SP while Garu only costs 8.

That's why I didn't start using that level 17 sub-persona they give you for free, that's pretty lame.