Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope Persona 5 is on the Vita so we can just call it PV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The real badguys in Devil Survivor are the chest burster parasites that have infected all the ladies.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Spiffo posted:

Well thanks a lot thread! :mad: I just ordered Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne and P3P thanks to you! I hope you're happy! (i am)

But you didn't preorder Persona 2 Innocent Sin Portable? You should probably get on that.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Baalster posted:

So wait, what about that link says P4 Rerelease on PSVita?

The bright yellow background screams P4, and the Vita is the most likely candidate because they don't have the resources to remake P4 for the PS3/360, and they already popped their 3DS cherry with a barely improved port of Devil Survivor. It could just be some dumb P4-themed social cellphone game, who knows.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Justice posted:

That's right, Overclocked is North America only.

Man, Atlus Japan is gonna be pretty surprised!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

I mean they're not in any kind of real continuity, are they?

Not really, no. It's really not something you should ever worry about unless the game comes straight and says that the events from one game happened in the same world as the events in another.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, after abusing the suspend save feature for around an hour to force the RNG to bend to my will, I beat the game. But....There's no 8th day. (at least for the Atsuro route) which is a bit disappointing to say the least. I hope it's not only one ending that has it and the rest get shafted because that just screams laziness. :geno:

Atsuro and Gin's paths don't have an 8th Day, because, you know, they both get rid of all the demons on the 7th Day. The others paths - Yuzu, Amane and Naoya/Kaido are the only ones that lead to Day 8.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Counterpoint: You get to pick dialogue options to say "Grab your asses and run!" which makes Maya the best Persona protagonist by far.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I think Eikichi is Nanjo.

ChiTownEddie posted:

haha I agree, the gif is awesome.

Odd question (maybe) but how long approximately is P2P going to be? (Or how long was the original P2:IS?)

Like 30~40 hours.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that while there may be a few new boss-type monsters, most of the "new" ones in Overclocked are really old ones they're recycling. I'd have to see a list to be sure.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

A P4 fighting game seems kinda dumb? I mean, wouldn't Chie just Galactic Punt everything to death anyway? Seems like they didn't think this all the way through.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

Maybe this "Mary" is actually the new female character. Or Mary from Persona 1.

Marie is probably just a new SLink character or a new Velvet Limo hostess. She is unlikely to be the protagonist because she has a name, and Mary from Persona 1's name is Maki.

Pureauthor posted:

Watch the 3DS game be Persona 5 just for maximum troll value.

Also, P4 fighting game sounds either awesome or ridiculous. I wonder just how over-the-top they're going to make the whole thing.

Apparently it takes place two years after Persona 4, so it should be neat to see how the kids grew up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like it's not point and click this time.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 31, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Fuuuuck where did you find this? I have like 3 scan websites open :psyduck:

It was on one of half a dozen (Japanese) message boards I was looking through. I, uh, don't actually know which one it was, because I closed the board window when I found it.

Also, y'all, the screen shot in the top righthand corner is the character select screen from the fighting game, it seems.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing about Famitsu these days is that each new issue only matters for the fifteen minutes it takes to scan them and 2ch to report the contents, and always three days before it gets on the newsstand. Who even buys them anymore?

People who actually want good quality images of games instead of crappy camera phone shots or the tiny bullshit ones that Famitsu puts on its website.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Important things y'all are ignoring:

Mopeds!

I can't even tell what's happening in these battle shots. I see Hero summoning Ame no Uzume, and Chie wearing some pink ballet outfit? And Yukiko dressed as some kind of... Santa?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Aigis sweetie, those guns are too big for you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Well he's on the character select so maybe he got better.

What no he's not. The characters shown are:
Aigis (Fool)
Yukiko (Priestess)
P4 Hero (Fool)
Random Select
Yosuke (Magician)
Chie (Chariot)
Kanji (Emperor)

Armor-Piercing posted:

What's going on in the bottom-right screen on this one? Looks like locked selections of some sort.

It looks like it could be a costume select of some sort, since the currently selected text says "Glasses"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Axle_Stukov posted:

So looking at Mary/Marie's hat, I notice the gold button on her hat has a "V" on it. I really hope I'm just overthinking this and that she isn't somehow connected to the Velvet Room or some other nonsense.

Belladonna and the Nameless Piano Player had a kid.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

Does anyone have the photoshop/april fools joke/whatever it was from like a few years back that was a mock-up of 32bit Persona fighting game?

It seems apropos to bring that up due to recent developments.

This?

Edit:

Somewhat related.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 31, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Of for gently caress's sake.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The surprise plot twist is that Marie is actually the protagonist from P5.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

One of the new, highly requested features had better be a cutscene skip function.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Maybe make her sound like some prim and proper English maid?

She's already gross and fetishy enough, thank you very much.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Technique posted:

I really hope we get some visual novel style dating scenes in between fights. :allears:

We already have that, it was called Persona 4.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Justice posted:

I know you guys are too cool to like certain aspects of the game, but those aspects are the reason they were able to remake it twice and sell nearly combined million copies. I guess it's like democracy, there always has to be some vocal minority crying out against what works for everyone else.

I thought, "Heh, lookit these nerds" was your schtick. :confused:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I mistaken or wasn't there already a scene in P4 in some sort of bath house or whatever?

There was. Several, if you include all of Kanji's dungeon. But now apparently it (the latter one in the real world, which was already creepy enough) will be animated.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Catalina posted:

What if I want a MC with a breast fetish and wants to date Satan? Hopefully, that'll be in the DLC, or I'll have to resort to fanart and fanfiction.

If he had a breast fetish, he'd date Diana.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

This entire thing is making me super-grumpy. I guess I'm just annoyed to see another game company almost perfectly follow Square's path post-FFVII.

Woah woah woah let's not say things we can't take back. Square actually makes new models for their monsters with every game they make.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Catalina posted:

I wish you would turn PM's on so I could message you and tell you how your avatar and title and this comment are funny, and I found this comment so hilarious I laughed out loud. :colbert:

Sorry, the PM don't come on til you max out my SLink.

Catalina posted:

Oh, and I like both dungeon crawlers AND anime dating games, separate AND in the same game. So I wish Atlus would...oh, wait. :smug:

The dungeon crawling would be a lot better if the dungeons were better designed. Like, Tartarus actually looks pretty cool on the outside, and exploring this huge mishmash of buildings would have been neat.

...instead we got hallways.

The gimmick floors in P4 didn't work out very well either. I appreciate that they were trying to spice up the dungeons a bit, but they were crammed into the existing framework of "empty hallways and boxes" and ended up being low budgety and uninspired.

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Literally, the defining difference between the two would be that in 3 and 4 you can power up your Persona by having meaningful, in-depth stories with interesting characters,

This "literally" isn't the defining difference between the two.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 1, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

The fact that the game looks its age makes it less involving still. It wasn't a particularly attractive game in 1999, and the intervening years have not been kind. You view the action from an isometric perspective. The tiny characters express themselves with stiff shrugs and robotic shakes of the head. And although the high schools, record stores, aerospace museums, and other locations that serve as the "dungeons" for this RPG are a refreshing change of pace from the fantasy locales of so many games in the genre, these locations have no personality; one bland hallway is very much like another. Every once in a while, animated sequences are used to lend drama to a situation, but these are too infrequent to have much impact. The game fails to generate much tension in even the most desperate situations, such as (redacted)

This whole paragraph is bad. I agree that IS is pretty ugly, but like all of these problems are still present in P3 and P4.

Edit: And for the record, the characters expressive themselves using bigass emoting character portraits that take up like a quarter of the screen, just like in P3 and P4.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 1, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Magikoopa189 posted:

You view the action from an isometric perspective. The tiny characters express themselves with stiff shrugs and robotic shakes of the head. The game fails to generate much tension in even the most desperate situations.

Not in P3/P4 :colbert:

No, these are definitely problems in P3 and P4. Yeah, they don't explicitly use isometric angles, but cutscenes are usually framed in a static, boring way so that everyone is visible all at once. The character models are stiff and awkward, and that's why they rely on using the aforementioned bigass character portraits to show emotions instead of the models.

(These are problems with the entire Persona series and are not meant to comment on the quality or lack of quality present in other games Atlus has released. Hopefully P5 will change things up now that they've had a go with Catherine.)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 1, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

HarveyVdarski posted:

Dude, what is your issue? P3/4 are, in overall terms, better than P1 and P2. They are more enjoyable, a smoother ride, with less endless grinding and more enjoyxability. Sure they are gonna milk the Datijg sim poo poo forever, but so is Bioware, and Im betting dimes to dollars you own all of their twisted nethers.

I've never played a Bioware game. I'm... not great at being a nerd. Don't get me wrong, I can obnoxiously and pedantically argue about video games on the internet just fine, but I've missed out on so many of the cultural touchstones. :sigh:

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know about that. By HD console I did mean PS3/360.

The Vita looks like it will be nice, but I want to play it on my TV.

One day, you will get a PS3/360 Megaten game. It just might not be until a week after the PS4 and the NeXtBox launch.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Gonna have to say bullshit here.

Unless you're playing on maniac, P3 requires almost no grinding, making the proper persona is more important and the skill card system makes that pretty simple.

P3 and P4 require tons of grinding. You have to grind out your stats and SLink experience. All those "You spent the evening studying!" and "You and (Character) spent the afternoon talking. You feel like your relationship will improve soon!" messages? That's grinding. (But it's totally cool to prefer one type of grinding to another, so don't sweat it!)

Alteisen posted:

In P2 you level up sure but you also need cards to fuse better personas, this is something you HAVE to do or get wrecked royally by whatever is ahead, this is further exacerbated by the horrible, stupid, worthless lovely negotiation system.

Actually in Innocent Sin you can pretty much just coast by on each characters' unique personas*. You know, the ones you don't need cards for.

*At least until the final boss.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I always kinda considered the main goal of how it relates to the battle system was for the sweet, sweet experience bonuses. :shobon:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Grinding is generally considered as stopping forward advancement in order to grind levels/gold/experience/whatever in order to gain power for an upcoming challenge. Otherwise, grinding would be exactly the same as playing the drat game.

Cool, if that's the case, then Persona 2 doesn't have any grinding at all. :)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

What? How do you even make logic of that? Persona 2, at least in theory, has situations where people feel they can't advance the plot without battling generic enemies over and over to collect shinies. That is exactly what they mean by grinding.

I guess you could just talk to the enemies from a specific arcana as you encounter them while you're exploring the dungeons. You don't really have to go out of your way to get new cards, really.

Edit: Like, are you guys trying to horde cards for a Persona you won't be able to summon for like twenty levels or something? You can just wait until you're fighting enemies that are around that Persona's level and they'll give you way more cards.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 2, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RPGs: They have grinding.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

gtrmp posted:

Sorry, it's not a real [Persona/MegaTen] game unless it's just like the first [Persona/MegaTen] game I ever played, so releasing anything other than a game that's exactly the same as that one is a betrayal of both the real fans and the series they supposedly love. Also, if Atlus released a remake or enhanced port of that same game, that would be a shameless cash-in that also proves that I'm correct in assuming that Atlus doesn't care about making games for their real fanbase (that fanbase being me, personally). :smug:

That's a really close minded way of looking at things. You shouldn't hate something just because it's different. For example, I really liked Devil Summoner Soul Hackers, but I think the Devil Summoner Raidou games, particularly King Abaddon, were really neat even though they're complete reinventions of the series. They still have some of the problems from the old games, such as the Loyalty mechanic still being completely superfluous (in fact, it's even something of a step back from Soul Hackers because you don't get any "Take a mortal blow" protection or damage increases), but overall I think they did a good job.

e: I just remembered you have to max loyalty in The Soulless Army to fuse, so that was absolutely a step back for the loyalty system.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Hey here's a thing: I'm picking up a bunch of old DS stuff right now since I put the system down after a rush of RPGs months ago. Doing second playthrough on Strange Journey. Which would people recommend I go with, Law or Chaos this time around? I did Neutral out the gate.

Go Law, because it has a couple of different things waiting for you.e: By Law, I actually mean "Chaos" because I am dumb and got the paths mixed up.

Professor Latency posted:

Well... It's great for those 10 crazy people who really like Blazblue.

Or the lot of people who liked P4.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 2, 2011