Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So am I just blind or is Atlus not doing anything special for Overclocked. Not even a mini-soundtrack? :smith:

They didn't do anything for the first Devil Survivor either, which I thought was quite odd, since they had done bonuses for other games they were publishing at about the same time Devil Survivor came out, and DS was the first actual SMT game on the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

kthegreat posted:

So, I had a quick DDS2 question. What does the skill Level Gift do? It's description states "High odds of level-up events." It has had no noticeable impact on amount of experience received after a battle, so I'm kind of stumped as to what it does.

You know how after you level up you sometimes get poo poo like fully healed or whatever? Increases the chance of getting those.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

"Peaceful days died, let's survive" ....Did they change the tagline? I could have sworn it sounded a lot less awkward in the original. Also I thought one of the new features were the "breathing" sprites from Strange Journey, but at least in the tutorial battle they're the old static ones still.

Yeah, no animated sprites, sadly. The voices aren't as bad as I thought so far, the only one that's really bad is Naoya's. At least it's good to see them keeping up the tradition of kicking your face in on the first day. loving Ogre/Kobold/Ogre teams will wreck your poo poo in the beginning, and doubly so if they attack you because of Aggravate.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HarveyVdarski posted:

You found that difficult? Really? I mean Atsuro basically skullfucks those teams with his agi/zio combo. Yuzu is backing up for heals and the hero is a tank.

Oh no, not at all. It's just one of those (many) things that can come out of nowhere if you're not paying attention and leave you with two dead demons (and if you're unlucky a wiped team) on the first day.

Also, 95% of the game is on the bottom screen, I agree with Atlus not bothering with 3D. Saves battery life if nothing else.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

How many extra demons are there?

I heard 20 new demons, but I can't confirm that at the moment.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So what the hell are the actual victory conditions of Midori battle on day 3 of DSO? After you attack Beldr and can't do poo poo, the condition changes to "MC and Midori must escape." Knowing this was coming, I purposefully had the MC near the south end and Midori switched with Yuzu so she was much closer to the exit. On the second or so turn, I had both Midori and the MC out of there, and Keisuke eventually made it as well. Atsuro and Yuzu did both get killed, but the victory condition didn't say poo poo about them. It's just pissing me off because I've failed this mission multiple times and this time I actually had done what they wanted me to, and then when Yuzu got killed a turn before she would have escaped it came up as mission failed.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, if P4P is actually using Devil Survivor's system, I'm loving sold. Why did it take you so long to get on that Atlus? Seriously, Devil Survivor was in like 2009, Strange Journey, P3P, Persona PSP, and (presumably) P2: IS didn't use it, and they all came out at the same time or after it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm finally getting around to beating Devil Survivor Overclocked despite having it since it released and the original game, and I reached the 7th day. My route choices were Naoya's, Yuzu's, and Amane's, and I picked Naoya. Did I just totally gently caress myself, or is this going to be a fun ending?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nah, I was just basically asking if any of them were significantly harder than the others (like how the Chaos ending of Strange Journey is much easier than Law/Neutral).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fooley posted:

I picked Naoya's, can anyone tell me what I should stick on my heroes for the last day? It took me forever to finally beat Belial by loading my magic MC with as many ice/ice boosting abilities I could and the ability that give you a chance to repeat actions, chaos wave, and getting one of the weaker mobs between us so Belial couldn't attack. AND I still had to chip him down with physical attacks. As drat satisfying as it felt to have finally gotten a working combo, I'm sort of at the point where I just want to finish.

Also, I saw Devil Survivor 2 in the Gamestop ad. I think someone got it already, how is it?

Belial was easy as poo poo for me. I fused a Ragnda with Shield All and Drain and whatever Megami is around that level, it had Mabufudyne. MC had Bufudyne, Ice Amp, and Anti-Fire. Immediately fire off Shield All, watch as he gives you three free extra turns, flay the poo poo out of him with Bufudyne and the Ragnda just sits there draining away. For best results, keep someone like Yuzu nearby and have her heal up the MC/revive demons on the off chance he fucks someone up.

Though the Amane battle is pissing me off. Every loving enemy has a dragon and I can't do anything without getting hit like 5 times at range and watch all of my demons die. Hell, I easily killed Amane only to get mobbed by all the little shitheads in that stage. I also still use Atsuro, but that's because Kaido doesn't have enough magic for me to give him Healing on top of Deathbound/Pierce/Drain Hit/Phys Amp.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not to mention one of the Amp skills requires something like 11 Str, I think Fire Amp. Not really that important, unless you're like me and occasionally shuffle around the various elemental spells so that the MC always has the best one for the area.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, which SMT game are on PSN or PS3?

None of them. DDS1/2 are supposedly coming out on the EU PSN store soon, and Persona 1, P2: Innocent Sin, and P3P are all up for the PSP, but you can't play them on a PS3.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 21, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not going to lie, I have no plans to get a Vita until the price for the system or the memory cards drop, but I might just buy this game at launch so I'm guaranteed to have it when I do. Nanako is seriously the best Video Game Child™. :3:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes and yes.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh man, now I have to somehow work in time to finish P2:IS, and I've got like 5 JRPGs on my plate between now and April. :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You've played Persona 4, so you probably already know what the gently caress everything does. You'll be fine, there are just a few infamous roadblocks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wow, Devil Survivor 2 does not gently caress around like the first one did. If they had thrown something like the mission with Dubhe on the very first day, I don't know if I would have ever bothered to keep playing. Although I do kind of miss the pacing of the first one. There, it was clear that everyone was still trying to hold onto some remnants of society and civility. Here, you get the rogue demon tamers on the first day.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Sweet christ, I am about 10 seconds away from smashing my Devil Survivor 2 cartridge. If the RNG isn't biased toward the enemy at all times, you could have fooled me. I swear to god, I missed a demon 7 times in a row with a basic attack (he had like 20 HP so I wasn't going to waste HP/MP on a skill, but the fucker had Dodge), and if it's not asking me to cut through swarms of demons all higher levels than my guys, with a boss included in that mix, it's summoning reinforcement demons after I destroyed the phone on the space. The first Devil Survivor had its moments, but I never felt like the game was literally telling me to go grind, or get the gently caress out.

E: Okay, with that ranting out of my system, I feel like I can explain myself better. I'm not sure if the player characters were nerfed, or the demons were buffed, but you feel a lot weaker than you do in the first Devil Survivor, but the game is still asking you to fight things like in the first game. There were very few fights in the first game that felt like I simply wasn't strong enough; it was hard, but it felt like "Hey, I'm willing to bet there's a set of skills/demons that makes this a joke, even if I'm cursing my way through it with my current setup." I don't get that feeling so much in DS2.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 22, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Thuryl posted:

There have been murmurings about Persona 5 for ages now, and they've only got so long to make the drat thing before this current generation of consoles becomes obsolete.

Atlus is always on the tail-end of a system's lifeline. gently caress, Raidou 2 came out for the PS2 in 2009, and Persona 4 was the tail end of 2008. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to learn that P5 won't be for another year or two.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Douche Bag posted:

Evidently I'm the only one to experience this ending.

How the hell are you supposed to know this stuff without a guide?

They beat into your head the idea that you should never take easy way out, and always search for the truth throughout the entire game. Surely, you don't think an action that goes directly against that ideal would lead you to a good ending?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

W.T. Fits posted:

Due to poor impulse control, I ended up picking up Devil Survivor 2, Strange Journey, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin at work today.

I've started playing Devil Survivor 2, pretty fun so far, a bit simple at the moment... but I have this paranoid feeling that it's about jump in difficulty without warning. I'm also worried that since I'm pretty much picking responses at random that I've somehow already screwed myself over in terms of how the story's going to turn out. :tinfoil:

Did you play the first Devil Survivor? Because it's a similar level of difficulty, just for different reasons.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So how does Soul Hackers play? I know it's not like the Raidou games, isn't it a dungeon crawler a la Persona 1/2? Please don't say it's like P1, I want to be excited for this. :ohdear:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's 2^8 - 1. Basically, the largest possible number that can be stored without allocating an extra bit (byte?) of memory.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I figure I'm going to back and actually try and finish Innocent Sin after putting it down when Final Fantasy 13-2 (and Devil Survivor 2, Xenoblade, Tales of Graces...) came out. I remember not really needing to ever switch personas because you could just fusion attack everything to death and get some sweet bonuses for doing it, does that change later in the game, or can you seriously coast on how ridiculously powerful that is throughout most of the game?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Question about Innocent Sin: I'm in basement of Cuss High with the place that supposedly has no exit. I'm assuming there is an exit, because it was be a shame for the plot to end here, but I've gone over the place twice and I'll be damned if I can find it. Is there any kind of plot trigger (like go around X times until someone comes up a with a bullshit solution) or am I overlooking a side passage somewhere?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dragonatrix posted:

I think the difference between the regular Press Turn system and P3/4s is that, in the regular one at least, even if you do hit a weakness you don't get infinite turns out of it, so turn management becomes an important thing to factor in as well. In P3/4, you can go entire fights just having the MC spam the same spell ad infinitum and no one else will ever get a turn.

But you can't? You can only get one extra turn per weakness (or critical) you hit. Making them dizzy doesn't grant you any extra turns, and getting an extra turn doesn't replenish your ability to change personas, so you're stuck with whatever weaknesses you can hit on two personas at most.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Holy poo poo, let's do this. :getin:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAsbV4e59Ng
New Soul Hackers 3DS trailer. It doesn't look like the sprites are any more animated than the 90s version, but that's a little less irritating since we know SMTIV is coming.

Masahiro Sakurai? There must be a secret Kirby demon.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Meowjesty posted:

I don't think they're going to give you the option to date Adachi, Katsudon.

But I, too, hope his social link is everything I want it to be. :swoon:

MC and Adachi bonding over their mutual love of cabbage?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

LightningKimba posted:

According to the Persona 4 The Golden Wikia...

Yosuke gets Auto-Sukukaja.
Chie gets Rebellion, Apt Pupil, and Auto-Tarukaja
Yukiko gets Mudo and Mudoon.
Kanji has Power Charge, Renegerate, and Masukunda.
Naoto gets Absorb Phys, Almighty Amp, and Debilitate.

Teddie's section wasn't filled out at the time, but it shows that Naoto is now seriously broken.

Welp, going to be running Kanji and Naoto for sure. Can't wait to see how broken Teddie ends up.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Axle_Stukov posted:

Some more P4 costumes, Velvet Room uniforms for everyone - http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5thr51Qfw1r3gyt0o1_1280.jpg

The best part? Teddie is out of his drat bear suit for this one, hopefully he doesn't squeak as this means I can finally bear having him in my party.

That Kanji outfit. :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dastardly posted:

Think it's pretty easy to figure out when the upstanding man of society Kanji scene takes place with these two new pictures.

Also super adorable Nanako.

http://imgur.com/a/HZXms

I don't know about you guys but I just feel like hugging everyone.

In the bottom picture there, in the bottom row. Who is the extra person? I think it's supposed to be Yukiko on the far right, but who's second from the left?

E: Is that that new Velvet Room person or whatever the hell she's supposed to be?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Also, let's be fair. If anyone of the cast was going to do that, it would be Rise. Girl was practically falling over herself to get close to the MC in vanilla P4, even if you didn't touch her S. Link.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Katsudon posted:

Well that thought wasn't even wrong exactly, because I'm pretty sure Atlus even said that for all intents and purposes it was SMT4, it just wasn't branded with a number. I guess it's kind of the odd one of the group because it's not just another spin off/part of the Megami Ibunroku line, it's considered part of the main line of SMT games just... not a numbered one. v:v:v

It's basically a second SMT: if. A part of the main SMT series, just not called SMT (insert number here).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Since it's release day here in North America, here's a reminder that there's a Persona 4: Arena thread. There are some people really into fighters there, if you have any questions about mechanics or whatnot.

Forget a "Punch Yosuke" button, this is a "Punch Yosuke" simulator. :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

PonchAxis posted:

Any news (even if its non news) on Persona 5 will get me excited. I just hope it comes out on the 360, because if not I guess I'll have to purchase a PS triple.

The next bombshell announcement: P5 is real, and it's a Wii U exclusive. :shepface:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Kanji is the best character. :allears: Never has beating the poo poo out of Yosuke been so satisfying.

All things considered, they really went all out with the whole Story Mode. I've been at this 6-7 hours now and I still have 5 stories to go (Naoto, Aigis, Labrys, Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys (do we need to spoiler that?)), and that's all before you unlock the ability to get the real endings to everyone's stories. If more fighters gave me a 20 hour story mode to get through, I might play more of them. It certainly worked for Soul Calibur 2 and 3.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

http://megaten4.jp/
SMTIV website was updated, it now features a new song (the song is op.mp3 so it's probably the game's opening theme) and a new teaser image. You should listen to the song because it kind of owns.

Goddrat. I cannot wait for this poo poo. At least we'll have (presumably) have Soul Hackers to hold us over until SMT4 drops.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The new generation is starting in a couple of months and they still haven't released a single RPG for this gen :I

Persona 4 was released a full 2 years after the launch of the Wii and PS3. Raidou 2 came out in Summer 2009. Atlus loves to launch their big RPGs well after the generation is "over."

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

gtrmp posted:

P4 wasn't their first PS2 RPG, though; not even close. Nocturne was their first RPG of that generation, and it came out in 2003, three years after the PS2 debuted, and two years after that particular game engine was first used in Maken Shao.

That quite true. I'm simply pointing out that Atlus is like that guy who stays at a party long after basically everyone else has left. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if P5 doesn't release until another year or so.