Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So I got the Megaten bug and ordered P3:FES. I got the impression it's relatively easy to screw yourself out of social links in that game, especially with dating multiple girls. If I just barge in without any plan, will I miss out on some awesome content? Essentially what I'm asking is if I should just use a guide or if that would take the fun out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

"Best" as in storywise or gameplaywise? Do the links even do anything besides an exp bonus and an ultimate persona at the end?

(Disclaimer: My only experience with Persona is watching the Giant Bomb endurance run of 4)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can't just, like, go into a menu and change their stuff without their consent, man. That'd be, like, disrespectful.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I recently realized that Personas 3 and 4 take place like 2 years apart. Now I can't help but imagine some sort of deity council meeting: "Well those last kids sure did pretty well on proving the power of humankind... but this new generations seems kinda lazy. Better try to destroy the world just in case. Allah, you're up next!"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Got P3FES, played like 2 hours, question time:

1) Is there seriously no way to tell what your teammates' skills do? Or, for that matter, telling what they gain on a level up without checking their status constantly?

2) Are the only save points in the dorm and the tartarus? Because if so, that kinda sucks.

3) I know you get a compendium at some point, but if I fuse stuff before I get it will it be registered there? And how long does it take to get it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ZeeToo posted:

1) I thought you could use square(?) to highlight their skills and get a summary on the info page? I'm not completely sure; by the time I played P3P I'd memorized most of the standard skills

This is the first thing I tried since it's in 4 (and might be in Portable along with other UI changes). You can't access skill info on the Persona tab at all, and you can't access your teammates' skills from the Skill tab.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Played some more (Persona 3 FES), here's 2 more questions:

1) Can you call up the whole map while in the dungeon somehow?

2) Do you eventually get more tactics? Because only having act freely and heal/support is kinda dumb.

So far I can say I really dig this game's style, and the battle system seems a bit better than 4's too. Of course, I haven't gotten the chance to get really annoyed at the AI yet.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Stuck in just-one-more-day mode in P3, send help

I can't stop playing this loving game. I'd beat it all in one sitting if I didn't think it would probably kill me. I can't even remember the last time I was this hooked on a game, an RPG no less.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ask Persona 3 questions errday:

1)Is Junpei good for anything? At level 17 he seems kinda meh, but of course he still has his million skills to learn so I'm wondering if he gets good later on.

2)I've got this accessory called Sigma Drive, with the description "Lowers chance of sustaining critical hit". Normally I wouldn't even look at it twice, but it sells for a whopping 44000. Is it secretly amazing or were the developers overestimating it's usefulness?

3)Is grinding recommended? I've pretty much gone straight to the next roadblock and never looked back, except for grinding some drops for Elizabeth. But, the bosses seem to pretty much kick my rear end like this. I squeaked by Change Relic with heavy item usage and a bit of luck, but it seems like this playstyle wouldn't be sustainable. Should I be running the areas I already went through more often?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Not really, no, but why should I hang onto it if I'm never going to use it? Critical hits occur so infrequently anyway that lowering their chance wouldn't really affect anything.

And these tower bosses are really not loving around. I just fought some sort of white knight on floor 59 and he could oneshot MC with two of his attacks. It feels like every time I win it's because the enemy decided not to kill me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Catalina posted:

advice

I think I'm pretty good on both these things. I beat the loving mindcharged garudyne oneshotting knight by getting a guy who's strong against wind which reduced his killing capabilities to Kill Rush hitting twice which luckily never happened, or Hama I guess but that never hits anyway (I also swapped out Junpei. It's like they don't want you to use him). But it still feels kinda bullshit when the only thing between victory and failure is a dice roll. I would very much like having tarunda or rakunda but nobody seems to learn them at this stage and sukunda just doesn't quite cut it. Rakukaja meanwhile doesn't really seem worth using turns on.

Yukari seems to be stuck in kind of the same rut as Junpei, in that every single enemy uses wind but nothing is ever weak to it. It's somewhat better for her since this means she doesn't really die but she isn't very useful either.

Also. Are status effects as useful as buffs are? My experience with them is that they operate on the standard RPG model of not really working when you want them to, except when the enemy uses them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So, some more Persona 3 inquiries.

Yukari is level 37 and has a whopping two skills left to learn. Is this the game's way of saying "hey we gave you these spiffy new characters maybe use them", or am I missing something here? Because she will seriously fall behind on damage output and healing with her current stuff.

Shinjiro just joined my team. I remember reading somewhere that he dies at some point. Is he a trap character, i.e. you give him tons of exp and then he leaves the party before the final boss and whoops you have to fill his slot with a level 20 character, or should I not worry about it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

On that tarot note, it's worth pointing out that it's very deliberate how in the recent Persona games the Fool is the protagonist's arcana and most fundamental s. link while the World (and Universe in 3, which is the same thing in other decks) is the one that doesn't have any specific persona associated with it anymore and is only used for the end. The major arcana, arranged in numerical order, actually tell an allegorical story called The Fool's Journey.

In fact, the magic-crazy teacher/nurse spills the whole thing to you in 3. In very conspicuous red text, too.

Much like how he tells the whole mythology behind Persona 4 in that one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ooh, ooh, are we suggesting badass mythologies for use of the series? Because loving bring on The Kalevala. Now, I may be a bit biased on this considering I live in Finland, but just look at some of this poo poo:

The Kalevala posted:

The Kullervo cycle
Songs 31–36: Untamo kills his brother Kalervo’s people, but spares his wife who later begets Kullervo. Untamo sees the boy as a threat, and tries to have him killed several times without success, so Kullervo is sold as a slave to Ilmarinen. Ilmarinen's wife torments and bullies Kullervo so he sends a pack of wolves and bears to tear her to pieces. Kullervo escapes from Ilmarinen's homestead and learns from an old lady in the forest that his family is still alive, he is reunited with them. While returning home from paying taxes he meets and seduces a young maiden only to find out that she is his sister, she kills herself and Kullervo returns home distressed. Kullervo decides to wreak revenge upon Untamo and sets out to find him. Kullervo wages war on Untamo and his people laying all to waste, he then returns home to find the farm deserted. Filled with remorse and regret he kills himself in the place where he seduced his sister.

And look, if this

quote:

Väinämöinen is the central character of The Kalevala, a shamanistic hero with a magical power of song and music, similar to that of Orpheus.
doesn't mean he's all set to be the first persona of the MC I don't know what does :colbert:

(This is never going to happen but you can't tell me it wouldn't be great.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Persona 3 venting follows:

Ok, what the gently caress is with these goddamn arcane turrets and their million HP and dealing more damage than any of my characters have HP? And then they're paired up with these gear assholes who already killed me once with their all-fear. And then an errant crit makes MC fall down so I can't even change other member's tactics and of course they gently caress everything up and I'm dead. That wasn't my fault! I couldn't have done anything! Rrrrrrgh.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Something occured to me: P3 still (august) hasn't given me a reason to climb the tartarus (Well, level grinding I guess, but otherwise). From reading stuff I know I should probably get to the roadblock before each full moon, but other than that, your only incentive is characters saying "Hey, maybe we should go to the tartarus?" every once in a while. What does happen if you don't do any progress?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Justice posted:

I know what you mean. That's not the case here though, they serve no further purpose. It's not like your inventory will run out of room, but you can always use the cash.

I've found this (needing cash) to be quite not true; after the first couple of full moons I've been swimming in so much cash that there's no more things to buy with it. You start getting insane sums like 300,000 yen from chests pretty regularly, on top of which Elizabeth will shower you with money from some of her quests, and add to that selling all the equipment, medals, miniboss vendor trash, etc. that gathers up in the inventory and suddenly I've got over two million. While the best equipment on sale costs like 200,000. What I'm saying is after the beginning money becomes Not A Problem.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Justice posted:

You're gonna be pulling Messiah out of the Compendium a bunch of times to get his Heart Items, if you want to tackle the secret bosses. It costs even more to summon Persona in Maniac, but I assume if someone is asking questions about the game they're not playing that mode.

Oh yeah, I basically never use the compendium so I forgot it costs money. How expensive does it get?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like P3's battle system v:shobon:v

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spuzzz posted:

Yeah but I already got rid of my 3DS because there were no new games. Guess I'll be missing this one unless Nintendo really knocks it out of the park at E3.

Hold on. You bought it, played some games on it, saw there were no particularly exiting games coming out in a couple of months, and got rid of it? I will never understand some people.

At least it seems I made the correct choice regarding portables (:smug:) since it's outselling vita like crazy most of the big games will go on it, like a surprise SMT title! Now just get Persona 5 too and I won't have to buy another console for quite some time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there anything special I should know about the Answer before getting too far into it? I've heard it's hard and gotten paranoid :ohdear: Like: does someone absolutely suck, or leave the party (fuckin', Shinjiro) or some persona that are absurdly useful now, etc.

So far it seems like Junpei and Koromaru are leagues above the others even though they join at the same level, but I'm reluctant to put them both in because of the element overlap.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lucinice posted:

Well that's unexpected.

How does that even work? :psyduck:

Why wouldn't it work? I imagine it'll be like, he'll put up his facade until the eights or nines, where you'll get to hear some of his real personality and worries about things, but not quite that he's behind the murders. Then if you max him you get extra dialogue at his boss fight.

At least, that's how I would imagine.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Katsudon posted:

Anyway it looks like the Adachi social link is shaping up pretty interestingly so far, now that there's more screenshots and translations going around. Looks like the game just tricks you into thinking he's a Pierrot, because his arcana changes in December to "Lust" but then goes back to Pierrot in the Max event, perhaps suggesting he really is going to reform.

Ohh, so you can only max him after december, that makes a ton of sense.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can go out at night :aaa:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ken is necessary because it means my final party can consist of a 10-year old, a dog, and a robot. Aint none of that happening in P4 (Fox should have been a party member :colbert:)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Really Pants posted:

The alternative is fixed protagonist names, and those would probably be boring. I don't mind all the honorifics as long as I can be Weedlord-senpai~

There are lots of ways you could localize honorifics while keeping the intended message somewhat clear, Atlus just doesn't bother with that because they have 2000 pages of text to translate already (In persona games, at least).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I too late for P3 chat? Because I absolutely love the decision to not let you control your party and the game is totally balanced around it. Consequently, P3P was not rebalanced and is easy. And I'm pretty sure that they use the gutted AI options from P4 in it so you don't even have the option.

The whole AI only thing is part of how P3 treats your party members as individuals, which has its inconviniences but i really like the concept. You can't change you party's equips without talking to them, you can't use their heals outside of battle without asking. On the other hand, you can send them off on their own and they will totally fight battles individually, you can join them, you can call for help if you're alone in battle and they will appear after a few turns, etc. You could call it pointless and dumb but I call it charming.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm liking SMTIV (surprise!) but what's really digging at me after the first dungeon is the constant god drat run to the barracks and back whenever any of your demons dies/you run out of juice/whatever other predicament. So, do I get Traesto in any reasonable timeframe or does this otherwise become less of an issue as the game goes on?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

God, are the early bosses in SMTIV an RNG shitshow or what? Hp numbers are so low and damage is so high I'm basically praying the boss doesn't hit a critical ever (or just doesn't use all of its turns targeting a single demon) or something of mine is probably dying. And when the something dies, the fight is over because it loses the buffs I've been stacking and it takes two whole turns from resurrect, then summon them.

This was true of Mr. Bull rear end in a top hat and is equally true of Medusa. I guess I could ask, is stacking sukukaja worth it? It doesn't seem to do much, but I could also just be super unlucky, who the gently caress knows.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, so the real answer is to craft your team to suit each boss fight? I'm not sure I'm too hot on that either, that entails work. I guess I should stop playing this like Persona, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SMT4 question

I've been saving up app points for MP recovery while walking. But then I arrived at Tokyo, which has :siren: A World Map :siren: and easy access to healing almost constantly. And also, this being SMT, the recovery could easily be something like 1 MP in 2 minutes. So, will there ever be a dungeon long enough to make it worth it? It is hella expensive too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If I only play Persona 2: EP, how much will I regret it later when I inevitably decide to go back to IS?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been very slowly playing P3P girly version. Comparing it to FES is interesting. It's obviously more polished and in many ways more fun, but they screwed with the balance in weird ways when they combined the P3 and P4 systems. For example, ma-spells now give One More P4-style if anything is knocked down, but still cost absolutely nothing (that is, double the single-target SP) so there is usually absolutely no reason to not use ma-spells unless reflects and absorbs are involved. Unless you want to conserve SP- no, wait, you can return to heal on every single floor, conserving SP does not exist.

Girl is about 100x better than Boy in every way (Imagine, half of your dialogue choices aren't "Whatever") except one: Fortune got loving hosed completely! You can start it in what, November? By that point you've already blown past half of the persona in the arcana! Fortune is a completely dead result whenever it comes up in fusion for about half of the game. They didn't really think too hard about this one, did they?

E: I forgot, sadly Wiping All Out sucks compared to Mass Destruction as the song you will hear for quite a large percent of your playtime. All the other new music is so good though.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 28, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Much of the Female P3P tracks are better than the male side, but the battle theme is a bit odd.

See, this guy gets it! It's a good song definitely, but I don't think it fits as battle music very well. Listening to it so much somehow drains it completely for me. Whereas Mass Destruction just keeps giving.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why is Hierophant in P3 the worst ever? Nothing loving happens in the entire link besides that one time when they mistake you for their son. Most of the meetings are about as long as the "spend time" dialogues. You hung out in the bookstore with old people, they talked about things. How entertaining.

At least Moon (male side) which also sucks and is bad has things happen in it!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

littleorv posted:

This is the highlight of this thread for me.

Wait is this like an actual explanation from some Persona game? Is this the backstory of the whole series?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh. I guess Nyarlhotep and Philemon are just your regular variety deities then, no aliens involved. Lame.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This question has to get asked a lot but I'm lazy so I'm asking anyway:

P4A Ultimax happens to be 50% off on EU PSN (PS+ only) right now. Besides 30 minutes of SF4, I've never played fighting games. If this doesn't get me into fighting games, which it might, will it be worth it just for the Persona fanservice and storylines?

Also, I don't see the first P4A on PSN. Is it one of those cases where the entire first game is contained in the sequel or is it just not on PSN for whatever reason? Or, wait, was that the game that never loving came out in EU?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, considering that I'd kinda like to get into fighting games anyway, it's half off, and I've spent money on much stupider things, I think I'm getting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speaking of EU releases, would you look at that: https://twitter.com/ghostlightgames/status/596651913564794880

Lucifer's Call is coming to EU PSN out of loving nowhere.