Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've only played one other SMT game, which was 4 for the 3DS and now I'm playing through P4G because it's the one I can get through steam:
I just did Kanji's level and I don't think it was handled well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is this a situation for the VPN?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Reboot the series, honestly.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yo, can I gently caress the demons?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hunt11 posted:

I thought this was already proven to be bullshit.

I get my SMT news from reddit push notifications. So ... no? I can't gently caress the demons?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't recommend trying to gently caress a Nue

It's SMT and I want to be punished for my hubris.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So can I gently caress the demons or not?
And pet the mothman?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello thread. I haven't played a smt game except 4, (but also p4, which let's not count). I liked the depth of the game but often felt a little lost in it's plot.
Is SMTV a game for me?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DemoneeHo posted:

Atlus is doing a consumer survey in English. If absolutely nothing else, tell Atlus to port all of their games to PC and also to remake Persona 2.

https://p-ch.jp/enquete2022/na/

I have demanded more Ogre Battle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RillAkBea posted:

I started SMT V and today and got wrecked by a Preta in the first area. 10/10 would entwine myself with a cosmic robot again.

Young man: I have also begun my desert adventure.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
In SMT5 how do I unlock the other abilities in the essences?
Like if wanted Manufu from Azamis essence and apotheosis is this possible?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Slowly meandering through SMT5:
Young man: Your friend Dazi is seeking advice from an angry archangel. I recommend we separate them immediately.
There are three prime ministers? And I'm one of them!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Young man, you have what appears to be an Evil Staryu following you around, are you ok?

Also I love Evil Staryu and am sad only Evil Starmie could be in the party.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

King of Solomon posted:

Very confused by this plushie, why is it just a head?

Head-less!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Young man: The bosses in this area are twenty levels higher than you and the random encounters.
Ueno is no Beuno!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Young Man, you have beaten the game and found the secret ending.
How the gently caress is the mandala effect responsible for any of this!?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

There's already a devil summoner 3 a 4 and a 5 incoming

No wonder the world went to poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yamato? The white retractor?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You should be able to negotiate with bosses.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

This is a pretty bad idea, SMT already has about the same amount of avoidable boss fights as the Fallout's with not having to merc your own alignment. But Fallout also has other systems to engage with the world that aren't combat focused and even still you only get a handful of bosses that you can just skip.

F1, if you do the digging to get the data and have high speech you can convince the master to off himself, but you still have to deal with the Military base
F2, neither Dick Richardson or Frank can be convinced to not do the whole FEV plan, but you can stack the deck against them by getting the self destruct code from Dan Quayle or getting the Enclave team to help you kill Frank
F3 you can convince a hundred year old AI to off itself by using absolute moron logic. And kill Autumns entire force, blow up the people he grew up with and leads, destroy his home, and then take the purifier to do the literal exact same thing he was going to do, but Brotherhood flavored. But you can talk him down, neither of those examples are good
NV you can convince Lanius to gently caress off if you make a good enough argument and don't show your hand.

The thing with all the examples is you already have a designed combat encounter before it. You can stealth the Military Base but you aren' t likely to your first time, you need to kill Frank to leave the Oil Rig, You have to follow Prime to the Purifier and you need to do the whole Dam battle. This means the Talking choices are balanced by engaging both sides of the core gameplay, dialogue and combat. Since Fallout, and WRPG's in general are more dungeon based, as in they're balanced around the entire dungeon as an experince including all the grunts that balance holds. SMT isn't like that except partially the earlier dungeon crawler games. People will remember the clusterfuck of the Dam battle, nobody remembers the packs of Empusa's they slaughtered on the way to Thor. SMT is just based more on the singular boss battle as a capstone of the dungeon experience, turning that from an exciting combat encounter to a speech check would feel awful to play. Imagine if you got to the top of YHVH's domain, he goes into his whole spiel, and then you just hit [Speech 100 Have you tried not being a dick?] and then the game ended

SMT would have you speech 100 him and then he'd still kill you, because he's a petty tyrant.
But Nuwah, the creator of humans?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DC Murderverse posted:

I started SMT IV last night and am getting my rear end beat by the Wendigo mob. I think I hosed up because I saved right before the battle and I’m down multiple demons and can’t get to a heal without gettin poisongassed to death and/or getting killed by random encounters, what’s my best option?

Pay Charon.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 15, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alder posted:

Is everyone excited for P5:R later this month? I'm on the fence for PC since mods vs Switch version but money v:v:v

I actually watched all the new Akechi parts on YT, but something new is always good and fun.

Same.
I'm in the middle of a move and haven't unpacked my PC yet so my choices are my laptop or my switch.
I found SMT5 disappointing so I'm trying to temper onp5R and if it does Pokemon comes out the next month so...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh I never played it. I didn't own a PlayStation

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hatty posted:

SMTV is better

Young man: SmtV wasn't very good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

it was god like

Actually I took the True Neutral route.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah it really could've used some more challenge

I played on normal and with the exception of Shiva I think I got two game overs and both were I got bored of combat and attached to my party's current demons.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There it is.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NikkolasKing posted:

Dialogue and character development in a JRPG? Perish the thought.

Whatever my feelings on the game as a whole, aside from Stux here, I think there's universal consensus the story in V is nonexistent and/or trash. That's a pretty big deal breaker for a lot of people playing a JRPG. Lotta Megaten fans said the same thing about IVA - "love the gameplay but the story is trash and ergo the game is trash."

They tried on the story, trying to combine a JPRG with a ludonarritive but it fell flat. In the end nothing you see or do matters because no one is offering you real reasons to support their causes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NikkolasKing posted:

This is exactly it. I so desperately wanted to care about these people and even this Tokyo I'm supposed to defend in the end. But the game never once actually made me or even really tried to make me. They just expected me to care by default. The Tokyo stuff is especially egregious to me because you spend no time there, form no meaningful relationships with the NPCs there, but the "climax" of the game is "we gotta stop it from being destroyed/fading away/whatever." Why should I bother?

Tokyo was the only thing I ended up caring about because There's nothing else in the world to care about. But then you realize that outside few select people everyone is literally faceless and worthless. There is no saving Tokyo because it has already been lost. This was the only moment of the story that I felt was any good but everything around it was mishandled.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

[pusing my glasses thru my skull] yup, its a classic case of a ludonarrative fail. further to this they were affirming a disjunct and equivicating the gently caress out of everything and well, its simply epic fail because of this.

https://i.imgur.com/skPzi4j.mp4

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TurnipFritter posted:

I was thinking of picking up SMT5, does anyone have any thoughts on it, especially with how it compares to other games in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise

If you can find a used copy I'd pick it up at a discount. I don't think you should pay full price.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

you cannot be this stupid lmfao
https://i.imgur.com/skPzi4j.mp4
:shrug:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I liked p5r ending theme but I didn't understand what was being said do it came off really repetitive

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm about mid October on my "all achievements, ten way polycule" run and I have a question about the ng+ boss, the first one. Do they have after story events?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that a scarvoi gang tag?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The owl's name is Luffy... I don't know what to do with this information

Weird, I expected a monkey.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Item Getter posted:

Even just reworking the interface of SMT4 to fit one screen and giving it high-resolution sprites somehow feels to me like more effort than Atlus would be willing to put in.

letterboxing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

studio mujahideen posted:

i choose to believe that Doi was talking about stargate sg-1 instead

Aliens are real in SMT which is why you can't summon or fuse a Gray

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
God drat it

Adbot