Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone really want Atlus to add a 3rd game to Devil Summoner: Raidou series just for a change of pace from Persona? It could be for the Vita and everything. I want to learn about Gotou's secret past and his "curse"? I read the LP for the 1st game and bought the Limited Ed for 2nd PS2 one. I liked the unique Japanese time period and real time battle system. Nothing like beating the daylights of random encounters alongside w/your pokemon friendly demon partners.

I mean I'm hyped for P5 and Dancing All Night too. I would like to request another FeMC too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I love the hell out of both the Raidou games, so yeah I'd totally be on-board for another one. I don't think either sold especially well, though, and I can't entirely blame Atlus for going where the money is.

I guess so Atlus does need to consider their investors and all :aaaaa:

I really like the older style of art direction and it grew on me starting w/Nocturne now I confess I find P3/P4 kinda bland wrt to character design.

I mean it's not bad but not really SMT-themed when I think of the series.

In other news I'm trying to convince myself that I want to clear P4 for the 4th time now on the vita :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

The Ultimax VAs for Ken and Naoto are there for good, they both suck continuing the long history of both of the VAs for these characters sucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mh3xKjBHVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3IPQXW5bM

It's a shame cause I really like Cindy Robinson, but it's just bad.

As much as I really wished they had JP VAs I didn't mind it that much during P4 and P4G because I never knew what I was missing in the first place :v:

IDK if it's just me but ENG voiceovers always felt awkward not because of the pronunciation but how everyone sounds much older than their respective ages.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Instead of arguing about Persona, you guys should be playing Raidou vs. King Abaddon, the best SMT game.

True, it has a original atmosphere/setting. There's also Devil Survivor 2 for the DSL if anyone wants a modern game other than Persona. It even comes w/anime adaptation :10bux:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Also you may want to hold off on Devi Survivor 2 if you have a 3DS because Break Record, the enhanced port with a whole new second story, is finally seeing the light of day. Also you should totally consider Devil Survivor Overclocked because it has better writing and the tone is a lot better than Devil Survivor 2.

I was going to mention the DS2 for the 3DS but so far I haven't read any news about it being localized overseas :v:

The DS2 anime is still better than Persona: Trinity Soul.

Curses, another downside to not owning a 3DS/2DS. At least I have the cool dancing game for Vita.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I made the wrong choice and didn't side with Yamato, so my ending was lame and boring and it killed my urge to ever touch it again.

gently caress you Anguished One I thought you'd be cool.

Wait, I thought AO is the True Ending? I only got Daichi's ending because no guide and all. I was replaying for Yamato's Ending because I may or may not have a crush on white haired anime guys and POWERR.

I thought DS1 was OK but I only got the Demon Lord ending despite following a guide which is boring since that was my 1st ending too. I'm not much for replayability I suppose.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Daichi has 2 endings. One is the straight up bad end, and the other is the closest thing there is to a True Ending.

AO can't be the true ending because that's the Chaos route, so it's not allowed. :v:

IIRC I got the ending where the entire world is flooded or somthing? I only recall how AO's ending was/is a pain to get vs the others

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That being said, I am excited to team up with Yamato's sister in Break Record, who looks exactly like him and hope she is as cool as Yamato and Naoya. Don't break the streak of similar looking characters being the best, atlus.

I miss SL and I wanted to date the cast esp. Jungo but the game let me down. Oh, and is there any special reason why we couldn't choose MC's gender other than because. I don't recall any specific plot-changing purpose.

I miss FeMC :black101:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, that's what I'm asking. What makes him cool? His entire characterization is of him being a childish dick who refuses to own up for his wrongdoings, and he never does anything awesome to earn cool points or anything.

Hell, even the Chaos route is him basically asking you to do all the heavy lifting for him, pretty please with a cherry on top.

It's been awhile but IIRC the game set up him as some kind of puppet master but it didn't amaze me when I finally met up with Naoya. That's it?! I expected him to unlock my final demon or form for MC.

I liked DS2's cast better because at least Yamato interacted w/the MC and you could understand why they were considered frenemies from Day 1.

OT: I'm glad I'm not alone w/having fun with the idea of crushing God and remaking the world in my image...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Naoya is a cool bro, who wants to kill God, which is good, because killing God is always good in SMT games.

TIL SMT games caused me to convert to atheism after clearing a few games,

Actually, I wonder if it's worth replaying DS2 or I should just watch the different endings on YT :v:

I swear for Nocturne there was no "good" Reason just less worse compared to the last guy you met. Coincidence? I think not.

It does feel boring if you are the only person left in a mostly empty world though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Momomo posted:

Was Keisuke any worse than Kaido, the guy who ran a gang that apparently killed people?

I recall trying to save Keisuke from himself and let Kaido die because he was too annoying to bother with recruiting.

Sorry, if you're too rude to the MC (me) then clearly you didn't deserve a second chance in the New World :chillpill:

Momomo posted:

That doesn't sound like Yamato wants to remove free will though, he just wants people to fight for their ideals.

I thought Yamato wanted a world based on meritocracy? The best and brightest should be the leaders and everyone else is on their own.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

"what kind of world do you think is just?" when in reality it's "what makes you feel good about yourself?"

Well-said as no one in either of the two games could really convince the MC to follow their ideology account it how dumb is sounds to anyone else but them :v:

I thought one of the negatives of Ronaldo's idea is how he was essentially copying Communism and as we all know that never ended well in the past. Sure, it could work if everyone is 100% dedicated and the system is not corrupt yet IDK any examples in the past where it worked, if ever, for long term.

Yamato's idea was flawed because wouldn't it just be one giant King of the Hill game? Everyone would be endlessly fighting over power and how is that a good way to manage society? In the end the most brutal person would be the leader and I can't imagine it'd be OK w/everyone else who's less fortunate.

Ofc, this is all based on my own conjecture.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

They've also lost all drive to compete and attain new heights, so there's the problem of stagnation.

Also, I thought it was just foreshadowing the mass starvation and rioting which would shortly follow the lack of supplies for everyone. Um, it's like no one ever paid attention in history class :argh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

It's mid-December in Persona 3 and now that I've maxed out the Star and Tower links, the only social link the game will allow me to raise is the Gourmet King. Irritating.

His entire SL didn't improve at all from day 1 to the ending. I ended up clearing everyone's SL on different replays because I wanted to know what happened. I'm not saying P3 isn't fun but some of the SL were just :bravo2:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Momomo posted:

I thought everyone could all get together and hate Ken, but apparently he has a few fans, so maybe the Gourmet King is the same...

I don't recall if the Gourmet King's final persona was worth it or not.

I'm just confused why game developers thought it is a good idea to add a SL where you can't be just friends with a grade schooler. I liked P4's ability to become friends w/everyone account of no one is good enough for the MC v:v:v

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Don Gato posted:

To be fair, if my nephew told me he was jumping into a TV set to fight the personifications of humanity's dark side I'd assume he was just tripping balls. And while Dojima doesn't believe you when you flat out tell him, he does know that you're the only ones who can get Nanako back to him after she's kidnapped

It's been awhile and I haven't cleared P4:G but I think this is correct what happens when you confront your uncle about it.

For some reason many adults or older people don't trust in teens in JRPGs :v:

So it goes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Imagine was pretty neat.

It was alright and I never did make it past the tutorial. The cash shop (like many F2P) was off-putting so I never spent much time with it other than finding out it closed down later.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Don't even joke. I would lose too many hours of my life to a rebalanced Imagine server.

You could even distribute the cash shop stuff amongst regular enemies' drop tables to actually make them worth a drat.

Count me in, I'd be interested if there's a way to balance out the cash shop too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Ditto.

hell I wasn't aware the Japanese servers were still alive, I might give that a crack.

Yeah, JP servers are still around from what I read at the time and here. They pretty much shut down overseas because.

It's definitely in the gray are wrt to if it's allowed or not :c00l:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just meant that both he and Rise's rank 8 have them undergo an emotional discovery and start crying, and then you are given the option to hug them.

Also he's pretty clearly bi because there's all that poo poo with the MC and then he falls in love with a robot.

what robot. Is this in P4G? I swear, I'll clear it after I complete my Vita backlog before 2014 ends.

Maybe, the only problem I had w/Yosuke is his treatment of Kanji overall in every scene they interacted :v:

Kanji's SL is heart-warming as ever :cool:

Then again, everyone in P4 is (technically) in love w/MC because of his awesome fashion choices.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Persona 4 Arena.

Oh well, not a fan of fighting games. I guess, I'll just wait for P5 instead.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not either but especially if you can rent/Gamefly them, it's worth it just to get the next chapter in the story and meet the best voice in the series, the story modes are basically just visual novels. I know in Ultimax and I think in P4A1 (I haven't played it in a long time) you can have the AI play the matches for you to advance the story. Ultimax especially is super worth it just as a story. Plus it has that perennial favorite among spinoffs, a villain-perspective story!

Reminds me, will I be missing anything if I just watch all the story scenes on YT? I know someone uploaded the entire storyline there a while ago for Arena.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@ Strange Journey: I got overly excited for it when I heard it was a spiritual sequel to Nocturne but ended up feeling let down due to the first person camera and gray dungeons. I know Nocturne isn't as sharp as some PS3/4 games atm but I liked the visual art direction even though I never cleared it due to invisible mazes and all.

I completed the game by reading the LP posted a few years ago and True Demon Ending is still one of my favorite endings of all from JRPGs.

Maybe they'd port the Raidou edition and/or HD remaster it for Vita someday? I can dream.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is Yosuke actually dumb or just kind of goofy sometimes?

IDK I always had the impression he's not the most self-dedicated of HS students because he didn't require you to out rank him on exams just to start his SL :v:

MC just helps out whenever he can because he's that badass and able to redeem (almost) everyone he interacts with in Inaba.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Ai was one of my favorite P4 links because A) She was rad and B) She had her own special time slot. Also she generated the possibility of a Dramatic Love Triangle.

Umm, what love triangle? I'm thankful they allowed us to be friends w/everyone in P4 because weekend dates were extremely stressful for no reason and I totally don't remember where we were supposed to meet at the bus stop or train station, OK?

laplace posted:

Makes playing the game hard when you're gay and Yosuke basically spends the whole game trying to convince everyone (who doesn't care) that kanji is weird for maybe-but-not-even being queer.

Alright, but tbh, I'd always think MC would be supportive of Kanji because that's what you do for friends but they never gave me to the option to tell Yosuke off for being rude :11tea:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I might be misremembering it but about rank 4-5 of her link She asks you to deliver a letter to Kou/Daisuke and generally scout them out for boyfriend material only for that to fail horribly (itself due to another nested love triangle in Kou's case) and her to get all hoppy-off-roofy on you and then decide you're her boyfriend now. Love triangle is not really the right word, but dang it's hella soap opera.

Oh yeah, for some reason I just thought you were her shopping servant for most of her SL and helped her w/her physical image problems later on.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Doesn't count, everyone knows that the One True Right Path in the Game of Life is to be born rich. :colbert:

C'mon now let's be fair to all the newcomers to the game and use the proper tags.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

Is Mara in Persona Q?

Is it ever not in Persona? :classiclol:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jmcrofts posted:

Can someone hit me up with suggestions on what SMT games are worth playing?

I've played and loved p3 and p4, and I played Devil Survivor 1 and SMT4 as well and thought they were pretty good. Never played any of the others. I have access to all consoles except PSP and Vita.

I was thinking I'd try out Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne maybe? Is Devil Summoner 2 better than those?

Devil Survivor 2 will (probably) be released for the 3DS soon again. I would play P3P and P4G if you haven't yet if you have a Vita ofc.

I couldn't get into DDS but Nocturne can be Nintendo hard for some parts. I liked DS2 more than the other former games but YMMV.

Beef Waifu posted:

Yeah and like every new Persona game, it gets silly and laughable when it tries to get dark because it doesn't do it well.

DS1 & 2 has some nightmare fuel now that I think about it more :banjo:

They both feature dark rituals and wow, it's creepy even for a M game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Sales and marketing. It's a much easier sell generally if it's cross gen. We're at the point where lots of people won't consider buying last gen games at this point. (Not that I actually think that's true of Persona, given its fanbase, but still.) Plus, Sony probably wanted another "PS4 Exclusive".

I don't blame them as right now I have little to zero incentive to buy a PS4 other than SHINY. Sure, my launch PS3 is getting a bit beat up and doesn't work all the time but the important part is that it does...if I'm patient.

I thought Catherine looked fine on PS3 too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

For MC names, I just refer it as P4/P3 MC unless they released a official title like Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV which is a badass title btw.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

In Persona 4, is there a way to fuse resist phys, tarunda and bufu on a single persona? Contrarian King kicks my rear end :(

When in doubt the basic rule: Grind Away Your Problems. Oh and I did have fun buying a lot of on sale HP items to be on the safe side.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

laplace posted:

I want mark's weird rear end earring. Its like a whole nendoroid hanging off his ear.

Wait, isn't a mini-robot earring?

I would like all the Persona hats too :10bux:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Atlus announces super special Persona live concert and promotes it with lots of countdowns, 5s, and the color red. I really hope they're moving up to charging people just to get diehard hopefuls in to see Persona 5 or something.

Anyone in Japan want to go and report this event? I'll reward you with karma internet points which you can turn in to be Internet Famous w/o breaking the law.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

@Vengarr: I recall that event :coffee:

IDK if I could actually tell my imaginary younger cousin the truth about it esp. since her own father didn't want to talk about it in the first place. Fortunately, P4's MC is far more manlier than I.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Um, anyone excited for Persona 4: Dancing All Night?

Otherwise, I'll just sit here alone in the corner w/o a 3DS/2DS then.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Policenaut posted:

"Fired" is probably too strong a word. Atlus took over development of the game a couple months ago and is now "receiving assistance" from them in making P4D.

I've always loved reading official company announcements. So much passive-aggressiveness in each sentence.

Although, I'm not great at rhythm/music games, I want to see LPs of it when it's released.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hubris.height posted:

can someone do me a favor and get upset about how the game (persona q) doesn't matter in persona canon

:allears:

The only true SMT series is Raidou Kuzunoha and Atlus is milking their P3/P4 games and angering their hardcore REAL fanbase.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Featuring Celty, Shizuo and and Izaya from Durarara!! series.

Looks fun. I suppose it'd be make sense because they share character designers and I wonder if it'll be on the box like for Nocturne or DLC :supaburn:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wait, does that mean global release date planned? I saw it under Atlus USA's YT channel vs the original Atlus one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

The person burning in the blue fire in that teaser is Yu Narukami. He's back for another persona adventure. Can't wait.

And he'll replace Igor in the Velvet room.

Sigh, someday the world will like the same games as I do and no longer have to wait months for localization.