Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I always name the main character after myself, but when I play Persona 4, I always internally refer to him as "Charlie" despite his name being my own.

I named my character Superfly Johnson, in honor of a great classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, is more tedious that hard. I finished the snow queen quest and the normal game just using the initial personas.

That's Persona 1, not 2. And the Snow Queen quest is hard. gently caress you Thanatos Tower, gently caress you to the deepest pits of hell.

...it was so satisfying when I finally beat it, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

At least they had the good taste of wanting Eternal Punishment Portable.

I will keep dreaming the impossible dream... :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's early and it shouldn't bother me, but... nothing from P1/P2. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man, the only way Persona Q would be better is if it was a crossover of all four games instead of just the last two. Maybe as DLC? Still, Day One purchase.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only way they'll get me to buy Dancing All Night is if Change Your Way is in the game. :colbert:

"You can go where you want to go... be who you want to be...~"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alteisen posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8xSqgEA_I

Counterpoint.

And you'll be hearing that one a gently caress of a lot more.

I unironically love Lone Prayer. It's a great battle song. It's just too bad that they removed Awakening Legend. They should have had the option to switch between the original and the remade soundtrack, as both are great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hellioning posted:

They won't, but dammit they should.

I refuse to accept something called the P-1 Grand Prix would fail to invite the Number 1 Man in Japan. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Delsaber posted:

The Sun Mall from the original Persona is a great example of this. "Here's an idea! Let's have the player navigate a crazy dungeon with a ridiculous encounter rate full of pit traps and false routes that'll take the better part of an hour to get through, then when they finally get to the boss... we'll warp them back to the beginning again!"

I still get flashbacks from that sometimes. Thousand-yard stare, man.

The Karma Palace has nothing on Thanatos Tower. So, in the Snow Queen Quest, you have three dungeons that can be done in any order but have a relative difficulty: Thanatos Tower is the hardest. First off, all Dungeons have a time limit. If you don't finish them in time, you gotta do it all over again. Yes, all of it, because they have no save points. You gotta do them in one go. In addition tot hat, Thanatos Tower will have enemies more powerful than you unless you grind for hours and hours. I mean, something like 15-25 levels above the previous Dungeons's levels of enemies. But hard monsters isn't enough, the Dungeon also has a gimmick! You see, whenever one of your character dies, he loses his persona powers, becoming useless! The character can only attack using normal weapons, and pretty much anything kills him in one hit. TO get your personas back you need to backtrack all the way back to the second level of the Dungeon and enter Tartarus, a SubDungeon the Dungeon, and there get to a room to get your Personas back. If you get all the way to the boss room but then two of your characters die in a random battle, I hope you like backtracking! Oh, and finally there's the Mirror Shards! See, the game has two endings, a Good and Bad one. To get the Good ending, you need to get enough Mirror Shards in the Dungeons. In Thanatos Tower, they are scatterred throughout the Dungeon, including the Tartarus Sub-Dungeon part. So you have to explore everywhere and hope no one dies to get all the Shards and defeat the boss before the time limit.

tl;dr gently caress Thanatos Tower. :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You fix it by having the character directly talk to the player and using various words like any normal person would when not using a person's name constantly. Part of the reason for this is Atlus refuses to loving have their protagonist not be silent, despite it adding nothing to the game. I'm not even saying I'm bugged by it as much as other people, but there are solutions to this problem.

The writers and Dev Team were really pissed that they got stuck with Silent Protagonists in P2, especially Eternal Punishment. Or so I heard.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

It's in Super Special Spinoff canon where nothing matters, everything is permitted, and any series that stays there eventually meets the Harlem Globetrotters. I really hope SEES/the IIT meet the Harlem Globetrotters. Also that Minako exists. However these have about the same likelyhood apparently.

Maybe you'll get to see a gray blur when walking down the dungeons, hitting every wall and every door at the QUICKEST speed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alteisen posted:

What possible thing could pose a threat to both Narukami and blue Jesus. :stare:

It's Piercy, back from the dead, angry because he has been forgotten by the series. Neither of them can match his speed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

subhelios, SMT3: Nocturne really sounds more like your kind of game. Unless you played it already?

laplace posted:

So I'm sure this question has been asked in the past, but I'm having a conflict of choice in regards to the PSN availability of Persona : Eternal Punishment.

I'm curious for those who have played the Japanese version: is it that much improved from the PSOne classic, or is it a negligible difference? I can speak Japanese and I live in Japan, so finding a copy isn't hard. The major issue is that my reading isn't fantastic. On the other hand, having all of the games in English on my Vita would be super convenient. Is it worth it to just play Eternal Punishment on the Classic version, or am I really missing out?

On a side note, I'm also not a huge fan of the first Persona. I might even go so far as to say it's a not-very-good game. I'm super interested in the P2 Duology, though, so I'm wondering if it would be a good way to spend some Christmas cash.

There's an entire new scenario where you find out what happened to Tatsuya between the two games. It is apparently really great. Also, redone UI and soundtrack are good too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

neongrey posted:

I think the kindest thing I can say for P1 is that it's a product of its time.

I loving love P1, but it's 40% because of the atmosphere, 40% because of the characters and 20% because of nostalgia (nostalgia for the 90s, and nostalgia because it was the first Persona game I played). Gameplay, as you can see, is 0%. But at least it isn't in the negatives, by which I mean it doesn't interfere with my fun that much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

P1 remade in the style of P3 is literally my dream game. Who wouldn't want a social link with the number one man in japan? :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

And if a character falls in battle, good luck catching him or her up with the rest of the party. In my playthrough, Mark was around ten or so levels lower than everyone else because of this. Whenever I'd revive him, he wouldn't be able to handle any enemies farther down the line because he missed out on experience. You could just go somewhere and grind back up, having everyone who doesn't need exp guard, but grinding is also such a chore in P1.

Using support or healing spells count as being super useful in the fight, even if it wasn't, so that was how I managed to cheese the XP system.

edit: forgot the word 'spells'. hurr durr :downs:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

uncleKitchener posted:

Are any of the classic SMT games like MT1&2 or the SMT 1, 2 and if... on the JPN PSN? Will Atlus ever remake any of the older games for the new generation?

One can only hope! I would pay money dollars to get my hands on localized remakes of SMT1, 2 and if...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I don't know, how did Soul Hackers do? Worse case scenario, a translation of the mobile port or a 3DS e-shop release or something. I'd play it, outdated gameplay and all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of those crazy ideas we'll never get was Kaneko's proposal of a SMT First Person Shooter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In my dreams, the special edition of the SMT1 remake is the "All Your Friends Are Dead Edition".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Soul Hackers is the 90s-iest thing ever, and as such I love it, warts and all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I loving love Persona 1 and 2, but they are very old-school in design and gameplay style. Still, I would say that of all the Persona games, 1 and 2 are the only ones that I felt created really believable settings. Much as I like Persona 3 and 4, Port Island and Inaba don't feel like truly living places, while Mikage really gave me the impression of a dying industrial town while Sumaru felt like a booming city. Sumaru especially, with the various neighbourhoods and poo poo-ton of NPCs, felt a lot more real. They also had a somewhat darker atmosphere, closer in feel to 90s horror movies and anime.

But the gameplay is extremely antiquated, yes. Especially in 1.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

hubris.height posted:

I played a lot of the PSOne Revelations: Persona, but only of the first 5 hours or so, because I rented a PSX and never had a memory card. I recall my mother's reaction being, "What the hell is this?" at the time. It really was a good game at the time, and very new compared to the rest of the American Market at the time, but its a lot like the SNES SMT in that its hard to get back into after years of progress in how JRPGs are played.

That was the first SMT game I played. When Persona 3 was first announced, and trailers made it look really cool, I managed to get a copy of the first game for cheap in anticipation. I really liked it, warts and all, although learning of the removed/changed content pissed me off a little. And then the PSP remake came out and all was well!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ALso, Smt if... hasn't been translated yet. Supposedly Aeon Genesis are working on it, but they're working on like seventeen bajillion projects, barely ever finishing any.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Margaret and Elizabeth going all boring cop/vaguely psycho cop on the player for P5 would be the best thing.

Only if the old Velvet Room crew are also back, like Nameless and the Demon Painter. Otherwise it's just great, not the best. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ok, so it's coming out in march, but when? The first? The fourtheenth? The thirty-first? When!!?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I thought Devil Survivor 1 and 2 were pretty good about giving good points to most choices. 1 also implied that God wasn't the dick responsible for all the poo poo but rather his angels who had done this of their own initiative.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Is there a Let's Play of Imagine out there? The plot looked interesting, what with being the bridge between SMT and SMT II, but I could never manage to get into it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I go for whatever I think of at the time. Superfly Johnson in P4G, Johnny Cash in Soul Hackers, Hiro Protagonist, etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wish there was enough space to use names from this video for my characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss

Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

I was gonna come in here to say Matador was a dick, but then I realized he was using Force, and that I could just waddle off to that super high-level area to level up so I could make some force-resisting dudes who could kick rear end.

Instead, I've come to say that random enemies with Hamaon are ultradicks. Having a 5-10% chance of just getting one-shotted regardless of health is kind of awful. I really, really hope there's a resist/null Expel magatama coming up, because Jesus.

That's Matador's purpose. He's here to teach you that you can't just waltz in there like in a Final Fantasy game, you're going to have to "get good" at the game to beat it. It took me three attempts to defeat him, and I felt so awesome afterwards.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just started playing. Any good tips on early game?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

It'd help to know which game.

The one we were talking about, SMT the First. Sorry, I thought context was obvious.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Try to get neutral if you can. It's not too hard if you're clever, and the branching points are pretty obvious. Um...vague future spoilers, but when given a chance to visit world leaders, don't go to the white guy first.

I knew it, you can never trust whitey. :tinfoil:

I ended up going with 5 points each in STr, Vit and Agi with the last 3 points in Int for MC, with a 9/9 split between Int and Mag for Law (should have gone for full Mag :( ), 9 in Str and Vit for Chaos and all points in Mage for the heroine. We'll soon see if I'm screwed before I even started!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno, I found dodging shadows extremely easy to do in P4. It'd be nice if low level ones ran from you still (though gently caress the wailing they did, that was so annoying) but it's really not hard to just walk around anything you don't want to fight. Well, just so long as there isn't a golden hand near one that you want dead. My least favorite thing about the P4 dungeon compared to Tartarus is that you don't get money in chests anymore. It was so much easier to get money in P3 when you could get over 500k a pop.

Though while we're talking about bad things in Persona, give the characters not in the active party experience for gently caress sake. :argh:

I prefer the Dungeons in P1 and P2 because they're actual locations in the city they take place in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still don't get the Ronaldo hate. He was a pretty cool dude?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

I strongly encourage people to play Innocent Sin first, partly for the story and characters (Michel my belle :allears:) and partly because it's MUCH easier. I don't think I died once in 70-odd hours of IS, not even to the super-hard secret enemy or the bonus PSP dungeon, but the first boss in EP wiped the floor with me.

Old Maid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMTHyRWGFY&t=11m34s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

drat, no P1 or P2 characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHzKUSLYDYA

Here's Rise's P4A2 trailer translated.

Holy poo poo, her japanese voice is TERRIBLE. Is she supposed to be a five year old or Minnie Mouse or something!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Policenaut posted:

It could always be a run down, inner-city type school. We've already had perfect and boonies schools, that might be the next step.

That was Persona 1, though.