Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Yeah, I have also been playing through Persona 3 FES and have been liking how generally competent the cast is.

Spoilers for stuff about a couple months in:

Like, they only take until the 2nd playable moon cycle (third cycle of it happening) to realize "oh, every full moon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Do we know who the dark haired lady in the red coat is?

Alex. She is a new character added to Redux, and she comes with her own ending.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

He will always live on as a demon.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Steamed Hams but it's actual Shin Megami Tensei IV

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Had my first party wipe in SJ Redux. :staredog: Thankfully I had saved not too long before.

My first party wipe was with the first demonee-ho EX mission. Man those are hard!. I'm currently in the third sector. I think now I've been wiped like 15 times. All of those times were in the Womb.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Mine was just with a random unknown mob. I kinda hosed up and used Bufu on the wrong enemy. One of them had Rampage and killed my main healer, I thought I'd be ok (probably should have revived that demon) but I wasn't.

I only have 1 EX mission so far, and it's to find a Bead. Which so far I haven't had any of yet?? Normally SMT games give them out like candy.

There is a free DLC that gives you a bunch of free stuff, including a bead. That's how I got mine.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 25, 2018

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

littleorv posted:

You’ll get a bead for killing the first sector’s boss.

I’m on my way to beat the boss of Carina and I’ve only died once from a very unfortunate encounter with a doppelgänger in the womb.

That was like 7 of my deaths. I kept reloading a save trying to beat it and it's 2 Nekomata friends, before I realized that my team wasn't good enough.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Artelier posted:

Question about sector C in strange journey redux : where does horkos move after you hit him in the room you meet mastema at? I got Unlock B and explored some areas but can't find him. Probably just missed the correct area or do I have to do something else that I am not getting?

The other response wasn't correct. After you get Unlock B, you unlock an area on the first floor, and move up to the second floor. There will be a room where it says Horkos isn't there, although he sounds like next door. There should be a hidden door near there (you have to look at the wall) on the floor. Go into the room that leads to. I don't know if you still need help with this, but hopefully it will help people that have this problem in the future.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Speaking of fights that are angering...

I'm currently stuck at the Fornax fight against Asherah. It is really annoying, as they consistently enrage all of my guys right from the get go, and they kill one another. I'm guessing the solution is to either give the protagonist an anti physical armor (and have a anti physical demon team). I could do that, but I really hate bosses that spam statuses where your members do random things. At least the charm status has a decent chance of missing in my experience. The rage thing seems to hit every time.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Start with whatever Persona you want. 5 is really good. Going back to 3 and 4 will be more painful after the polish that you get in 5, but there is no reason that you need to play the games in any particular order.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

M.Matsuda posted:

Devil survivor 3ds ver had it said out loud in like one line. but i could be wrong it has been years after all

It does, and IIRC it was pronounced "Yahweh" (same as the actual judeo-christian pronunciation).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

How does your alignment work in this game? Is it affected by certain encounters, e.g. I've met Mastema twice and the first time I think afterwards I moved towards Law. However, I think after the encounter with Bugaboo I went back to Neutral.

As mentioned before, almost all of the alignments come from dialogue choices. If you are given 3 choices, there are usually law, neutral, and chaos options. If two, it is usually law and chaos. There are some other things that determine alignment. There are a couple series of EX quests that influence alignment.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 14, 2018

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

The only thing that affects Alignment that isn't a dialogue option is an optional Goblin you can bother after completing a couple EX Quests who gives you alignment points towards the end of the game. Because he gives you two choices that are. surprise, dialogue options. Doing EX Quests doesn't give alignment points either way, because there's only a handful that have alignment matter and they gate access in the first place. And none of those are even available until you're about halfway done with the game.

There are 8 quests that actually shift alignment and aren't barred based on alignment The 3 Ever Eteeper Trial EX missions that you can access without being chaos shift you toward chaos, likewise the 3 Before the Holy Battle shifts you towards law. Additionally the missions for Kudlak and Kresnik shift you towards chaos and law, repsectively..

irlZaphod posted:

Thanks, I just wasn't sure and was surprised when I noticed that my character's alignment was Law. I just guessed it was after the conversation with Mastema in Bootes, but maybe it was from doing EX quests? I haven't done many to be honest.

All of the alignment shift EX missions are later than that, so it would just be from the dialogue options. Keep in mind that not all options are weighted equally, and some will shift you heavily in a direction. ie: If you chose the most pro Mastema options, then you would get shifted more than you would by offering Zelanin/Jiminez a handshake.

However, unlike some of the other SMT games, being slightly law won't lock you from the neutral path, just the chaos path. However, if you are radically law, that WILL lock you out of the neutral route.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 14, 2018

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

If anyone signed up for the closed beta for the upcomming SMT gacha mobile game (SMT Dx2 Liberation) an email was sent out, but the android link was broken and the servers aren't up yet for the ios users that were able to get it (which was planned). But most beautifully of all, there were several typos and super odd grammar. Some highlights:

SegaEmail posted:

*This URL is used exclusively for Andrlod (Google Play). It is different from the iOS ver.
2) Tap "download it on Google Play" at the buttom of the screen to get to the "Google Play for tester" Store.
3) Tap the "INSTALL" button of "SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI Liberation Dx2" at the "Google Play for tester" Store
screen and start installing.

thanks For "TELLING me about" Andrlod and what Buttom to PRESS!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

That explains why the link wasn't up yet when it was sent. The real beta test was their Laplace Mail system all along! :psyboom:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I didn’t receive one. Did they get enough applicants that they used a lottery?

Yeah, it was by lottery. Not everyone got in. Make sure to check your spam, as some people got the email in there.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Radish posted:

Mine showed up with Japanese text in the subject line if that helps you find it if you did get in but missed it.

Same for me, but I've heard some people didn't get Japanese text in the subject line for whatever reason.

On a separate note, should I create a separate thread for Liberation Dx2? I got to have a place when I totally pull a 5* Alice first try.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

The thread is up. I will be updating the OP often throughout the next few days.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

SMT Dx2 Liberation launches in an hour and a half, so feel free to stop by the Dx2 thread.

Here are 2 long form goon thoughts at the end of the beta (one of them me!):

TheFireMagi posted:

I really do have to say I'm enjoying this game. It has the right feel for a SMT based game, but enough little differences that make it its own thing. Six skill slots with a good amount of those being locked in means you can't have one omni-support demon or one demon that covers every single element plus a null skill or two. Means you have to think a bit more about team comp and weaknesses, which is nice. not that i've actually done that thinking as much as i should cause i'm lazy

Really, my only complaint is that I wish this game wasn't so killer on my phone battery. Starts to heat up pretty quickly too after awhile.

MegaZeroX posted:

To me, this might be my favorite free to play mobile game. While it is ostensibly a Gacha game, the gacha really feels like more of a way to get fusion material for your main demons rather than something requiring you whale out. The incredibly low rate for 5 stars just makes the game feel genuinely challenging. The higher levels of the aura gate and harder difficulties of the story mode feel actually challenging, and require a well thought out team to pass. All in all, it is this team crafting that makes it feel the most like a good SMT game. As far as the story goes, the characters are quirky enough to make it not feel soulless, even if the story isn't exactly the most impactful work ever.

And most of the annoyances that come with FTP mobile games feel like its been mitigated. Auto quests cut out the nuisance of grinding, and also allows a convenient way of doing something with your stamina, so that you don't feel that "I'm wasting my stamina" feeling when you aren't playing.

As for the general feelings felt by the thread, they seemed to have been mostly positive. The main complaints were:

1) Feeling burned from the gacha

2) The game being rather intensive to run

3) Some mechanics weren't particularly well explained

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the smt mobage has some of the worst rates and IAP payout that i've seen in a mobage.

Yeah. Generally you fuse for demons, because the gacha just gives you fusion fodder. Its pretty odd considering the monetization model and all. Also, it got buried by all the yelling about Persona 5, but there is a Dx2 thread.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

^
:suicide:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

How is the mobile game? The dope intro has got me interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb1aUJPDIlE

Join us is the Dx2 thread, as its the best place to get questions answered about the game (including my effort post OP). To answer your question, some user thoughts (including my own):

Tired Moritz posted:

im unironically liking the game's plot more than the recent persona games

TheFireMagi posted:

I really do have to say I'm enjoying this game. It has the right feel for a SMT based game, but enough little differences that make it its own thing. Six skill slots with a good amount of those being locked in means you can't have one omni-support demon or one demon that covers every single element plus a null skill or two. Means you have to think a bit more about team comp and weaknesses, which is nice. not that i've actually done that thinking as much as i should cause i'm lazy

Really, my only complaint is that I wish this game wasn't so killer on my phone battery. Starts to heat up pretty quickly too after awhile.

MegaZeroX posted:

To me, this might be my favorite free to play mobile game. While it is ostensibly a Gacha game, the gacha really feels like more of a way to get fusion material for your main demons rather than something requiring you whale out. The incredibly low rate for 5 stars just makes the game feel genuinely challenging. The higher levels of the aura gate and harder difficulties of the story mode feel actually challenging, and require a well thought out team to pass. All in all, it is this team crafting that makes it feel the most like a good SMT game. As far as the story goes, the characters are quirky enough to make it not feel soulless, even if the story isn't exactly the most impactful work ever.

And most of the annoyances that come with FTP mobile games feel like its been mitigated. Auto quests cut out the nuisance of grinding, and also allows a convenient way of doing something with your stamina, so that you don't feel that "I'm wasting my stamina" feeling when you aren't playing.

Generally, the thoughts are pretty positive. The main complaints I've seen are:

1) Feeling burned from the gacha

2) The game being rather intensive to run (and being a battery drainer)

3) Some mechanics weren't particularly well explained

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I always refuse once, then give them the rest. This is usually enough for them to think I'm not a "sucker," while they get a bunch of stuff. Most of the things they ask for aren't items I care about anyways. If I do, then I will actually refuse.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Artelier posted:

Strange Journey Redux Womb of Grief question : on the fourth sphere I found a door that's sealed by a powerful force. How do I get past this?

Are you talking about the door that requires you to beat the boss to get through (which is there on every floor), or are you talking about the hidden doors which let you create shortcuts after making some progress?

Either way, you should go make your way to the boss. In the second case, if you are stuck near the beginning, just know you can walk on air.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Where does it say that?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sees a lot of posts in MegaTen thread

Me: Oooh, I bet some news on SMT V came out.

No. No it was not.

Blockhouse posted:

katsura hashino retire bitch

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Megami Tensei Megathread -- Get Yakuza Instead.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The best comparison I can make is to Fallout 3 or 4, where the starting section deliberately does very little to prepare you for the nature of the world outside of it. But even then I feel like SMTIV does it better; Mikado's elaborate enough that you can reasonably believe that it's going to be the center of everything, and then you actually hit Tokyo and are struck by what the game's really gonna be like. The vibrancy of the setting goes a long way towards making it feel like it could be lived in, too.

Yeah, I literally knew nothing about SMT games in general when I bought SMTIV because I just happened to waltz into a Game Stop when it first released and the employee convinced me to buy the game. The reveal was really cool, with more and more build up. I knew something was up, but still getting past Minotaur and seeing what lies below is one of my top SMT moments in general. I remember having my breath taken in by Tokyo, particularly with the beautiful world map music.

It also helped that I didn't have internet at that time (due to family financial difficulties), and it was my high school summer vacation, so I very much appreciated the game.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

It's called SMT V since the V is for Vaporware

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

With so many posts in a short amount of time, I had a brief hope that maybe new SMT V information had came out.

No such luck, but at least there was this.

Also, if you are to target a single franchise after you become a Christian fanatic, a MegaTen game is a much better choice than Pokemon, Harry Potter, or D&D.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 13, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

smt5 will come out three months before the switch 2 comes out

drat I can't believe it's never coming out

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

daermon posted:

I'm restarting SMTIV again. Every other time I played, I went for a physical Flynn but I'm thinking of going magical instead. Thoughts?

Magical Flynn is OP in SMTIV, so anything you do should be easier than the physical playthroughs.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

All this talk about Atlus planning to release Persona 4 on Steam is obviously fake.

Its going to be Ronde.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm playing through smt4 right now, really enjoying the atmosphere. How representative is it of the other smt games in terns of tone? Been a while since I played a game that left me a little disturbed

The tone is pretty representative of the mainline games.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Petiso posted:

Play SMT4 first.

The ingame help for players who don't remember/haven't played SMT4 is a huge glossary of characters and plot summaries from that game which is a really boring way to experience them. Also, since the game is a new storyline on top on SMT4's ongoing storyline it's easy to feel overwhelmed if you're not familiar with the previous game, not to mention plenty of "OH poo poo" moments will mean nothing to you.

Yeah, I think the whole "SMT IV is bad" is only really an opinion you can have as a MegaTen vet. As a relatively new player, it should be fine and good.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

This is beyond precious but as somebody pointed out, doesn't this mean these kids played P4? So much for the M rating.

I literally played GTA 3 when I was 6 LOL. And I turned out .... hmm...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

He thought the leather accessories looked cool and ran with it not really considering the implications.

This basically describes how pretty much all mangaka decide on their characters' clothing.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I guess all I can do is echo the comments so far and say that it is visually gorgeous, but I hope it goes beyond Nocturne, both visually and thematically.

I will note that it's awesome that the battle system is SMT IV's but with actual 3D models of each demon which is super awesome.

Edit: for the record, by "going beyond," I mean at least having a unique enough spin on SM5. Like, 2 was able to feel distinct from one, and Nocturne very much from both of those, while IV and SJ both had their own distinct "feel" to it. Right now, the "feeling" appears to just be Nocturne, so far.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

There is a better version of the trailer than in the direct, but its in Japanese https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PgRBcRi5NY

Edit: At least there seems to be definitely a bit more variety there in environments.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 15, 2021