Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Gaea Rage is a "you failed a condition, gently caress you" attack, he only uses it if you don't kill a demon every 6 Demi-Fiend actions (so every 3 turns unless you make him lose turns to Null/Repel). The idea for non-cheese is to build 2-3 demons focusing on each element so you can keep murdering an specific demon, with focus on Pixie and Parvati to prevent heals; and Nahobino just Murakumos Demi-Fiend til he dies. And give everyone Abyssal Mask/Enduring Soul because he has an AOE instakill because gently caress you.

There's also minor cheese in that while Demi-Fiend will spam almighty if everyone is inmune to physical, any new demon that tags in will get hit by a ST Phys attack, so give everyone Repel Phys, keep switching demons and watch as he loses his turns. I think.
The swap in trick doesn't seem to be very reliable; he does seem to focus down on any new demon that isn't Null/Drain/Repel Phys but otherwise it's a roll of the dice whether he takes the bait or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
SMTV's story just feels very underwritten. So many characters and threads seem to exist in a vacuum with no connective tissue and there's little to no throughline with arcs and themes. You have a relatively important sidequest in the endgame with Miyazu, and you'd expect at some point your supposed Chaotic hero that is her brother would be either be involved in that or vice versa when you do stuff with his endgame story bits buuuuut nope. Or how every one of the final few encounters basically just wrap with no fanfare other than a "huh, guess that just happened". I don't remember a super lot from SMTIV but I do remember it feeling like all of the characters, Neutral/Law/Chaos and beyond, felt pretty realized and you understood (and perhaps more importantly, the other characters also understood) how everyone wound up where they did. When a character broke a certain way towards the end, it felt like there were ramifications. V's feels like it was slapped together at the very end.

On the other hand it's the most convenient the series has been for planning and strategizing your battles with how much easier it is to fuse and reverse compendium search your way to specific results. I lost dozens of hours happily just running around trying to overtune a squad to fight a boss I probably could have handled easily and it was the best feeling in the world when everything clicked together. That said the Crit Magatsuhi skill is probably a bit too overpowered and I imagine in a sequel or follow up it probably needs to be nerfed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the map/exploration in general but I don't think it's crazy to also attach a "but zone 3 gets to be a bit much in terms of figuring out how to get from point A to B" to it. Estoma definitely mitigates it a bit but having more climbable platforms or just more options from getting from various high grounds to other high grounds (and not "this one tiny bridge you can't see on the map that's actually three buildings away from where you're trying to get up") would've helped.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Spiffster posted:

Two things

1. Demi Fiend keeps stomping my rear end so decisively I don’t know what I can do to even beat him. I am on hard and I know he’s always notoriously tough even outside of the difficulty but drat am I gonna pretty much need to take a long hard look at all my builds and essences and see what I can do to make my team less squishy.
I did it on my NG+ run so that I could run Repel Phys on my roster as well as Nuwa who can deal a lot of multi-element piercing damage.

For the most part as mentioned when you swap in a new demon, the demi-fiend will focus on them with a ST physical. This AI routine sometimes breaks for mysterious reasons but it seems to be most reliable if you are always swapping in new demons that he has not already attacked. I chose to not kill any of his starting demons but if I were to do it again I probably would kill Pixie strategically close to Gaea Rage to avoid having her heal. In addition to having Repel Phys on your swapped in demons, it is ideal to have Enduring Soul (and Abyssal Mask though even that sometimes didn't help) to deal with the scripted Chaotic Will every 1/4th health pip. Finally, the Avian Magatsuhi skill if properly timed when he is around 1/2 health can bypass his Mediarahan phase (and a Gaea Rage in my case which was extremely lucky). Sometimes you'll still just get boned with RNG sadly though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They only work for around 15 or so level ups but they're valuable if you can manage them, especially for when you're in the endgame and are fusing your final teams for the various superbosses. Also worth keeping in mind in general that if you have cleared out the maps with minmans and glory pickups you'll have so much extra glory by the end that you'll be running out of miracles to spend them on, especially if you have the demi-fiend DLC.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Getting a particular alignment ending is easy in SMTV. The only downside to your choices pointing a particular way is that your post-alignment quests might cost a lot of macca to start if they are counter to your path, but there are only so many of those anyway.

Now getting the "True" version of the Neutral ending requires a bit more legwork, where you have to complete a certain number of sidequests (including not killing Khonsu after a battle in one which...why would you) and beating the game's superboss BEFORE a certain obvious plot point. However all of this is just gameplay and has nothing to do with having a particular alignment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When in doubt always try to do every sidequest you either have active or can see on the map as an icon to start, and talk to any newly updated NPCs (the Fairy Village especially has a few times you need to talk to folks there to advance some quests).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The latter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have pretty consistently found that I am about +25% over whatever time is listed in howlongtobeat regardless of the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Probably what I'd say is the worst story in a proper SMT but the gameplay is very good (I'm not sure I'd say its the best ever among SMT but I could accept an argument for it) even though I do think the crit-based Magatsuhi skill is a bit too overpowered.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely felt pretty burned by TMS. There just wasn't much substance to any of the character writing or at least none that I found compelling and I was increasingly buttoning through dialogue faster and faster by the final third or so of the game. Is it better than Persona 5? Honestly who cares, I think they're both disappointing in their own ways. I suppose at least P5 I still enjoyed the social sim aspects of it even if nothing about the story did anything for me whereas TMS didn't even really have much else to work with outside of its mediocre story since IMO the battle system is also extremely repetitive and dull despite how colorful it all looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Stuff like the Artemis DLC only really bothers me in that it is mid to early game content that you're incentivized to buy when you start "just in case", otherwise you risk rendering it meaningless by virtue of simply progressing through the game. In this case yes the boss is not terribly hard or interesting (though by virtue of being early game you can just overlevel for it anyway) but being able to rationally determine that when you're first buying and playing the game is not going to be easy for all consumers. At that point, just put it in the game by default or design it around a post/NG+ fight that people will be able to better determine "yes I want a superboss fight at the end of all of this" or not.