Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I'd say go for Nocturne- it's really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I've had about the same number of game overs as I did in the Persona games, and they're usually due to the same sort of instant death or having too many demons with the same weaknesses that can mess you up in those. Strange Journey was my first SMT, and I think it's really been the hardest one so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I played on normal but without an FAQ. I'm sure Hard is a lot worse, but I definitely wouldn't be recommending that to someone new to the game that's concerned about the difficulty. At the same time I'm not trying to trivialize the difficulty, but preparation goes a long way. Trying to ensure that you have all the buffs and debuffs covered when you can really makes bosses a lot easier.

That won't necessarily help the few times when you get ambushed by a new enemy and then proceed to end your first turn by using something they reflect but eh.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You can prevent those attacks by using equipment that nulls death though. That'll also make the main character completely immune to instant death, assuming you don't have something that makes him weak against Expel. I usually have those equipped anyways due to bad flashbacks of random Mudo's in Strange Journey.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You can't use incenses, but you can fuse mitamas to raise stats. There are four different kinds of mitamas: Nigi, Ara, Saki, and Kusi. Each mitama will raise two stats when fused.

Nigi: Agility and Int, Ara: Strength and Endurance, Saki: Hp and Luck, and Kusi: Mp and Magic.

You need to fuse at least two elementals together to create the mitamas. You create elementals by fusing two demons of the same family together. I may have sperged out trying to figure out the cheapest way to get them, so here's what I did to get each.

For Sylph, fusing two Yomas seemed to be the cheapest. Two fairies gives you Undine, and two Jirae gives you Gnome. Salamander is the last elemental, and the cheapest I could find was fusing two Avatars, making it really fairly expensive.

So for fusing the different Mitamas, the best path is:

Nigi: Undine + Gnome
Ara: Undine + Salamander
Saki: Undine + Sylph + Salamander
Kusi: Undine + Sylph + Gnome

I did this to max out Metatron and a few other demons' stats to make them significantly more powerful.

Edit: These costs are cheapest assuming you're using the lowest ranked demons from each family. You can rank down demons by fusing a family with one of the elementals (which one leads to rank down versus rank up depends on the demon's family). If you don't have the lowest ones from each family, I'd do that first or try to recruit them from the areas they spawn in.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 11, 2013

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Level up your main character to the point where he's at least at 16 or 17 in Strength and of average vitality so the for-reals fight with Beldr isn't so difficult. Oh, and get a Kishin (Preferably Nalagiri, since Ubellurs is around mid-teens and will go down real fast if not leveled-up).

If you're not already building the main character for strength, I would advise against this. You really don't want to split your main attack stat between the two.

Boss spoiler for that day: the damage Beldr takes if I recall is mainly based on your level, so jacking up your strength massively is a waste if you're not already planning that. The fight is completely doable without putting a single point in strength- I never did when I encountered him, and it honestly wasn't bad at all. If a ton of strength does make it easier, you've basically traded long term utility to make that boss easier. Of course, Devil Survivor isn't a hard enough game to demand min/maxing stats, but it's much better to stick with either physical or magic.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah Overclocked has some 8th day skills that helps relieve the issues somewhat, but for most of the game, running 2 physical characters doesn't work as well since you're limited to having one copy of each skill used. Of course that's not to say that you can't do that- especially since it was working for you. You're just spread a lot more thin since it leaves Atsuro without his niche.

In comparison, you could run the MC as magic and wreck absolutely everything with the broken holy dance/drain combo since he can be a better user of it than any of the other characters.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

No, you shouldn't be needing to grind really in Soul Hackers. Just make sure you're always fusing new demons since they can't level.

Are you using attacks according to their personality? If you don't have maximum loyalty with them, any time you use a command that's not favored by them, they may disobey you. If that happens, their loyalty to you will decrease. Kind demons want to heal people or guard, wild demons want to use normal attacks, and dumb demons want it to be left up to them. Sly demons want magical attacks, and I'm honestly not sure what gets you loyalty with calm demons.

You can change a demon's personality temporarily by getting them drunk with sake. I always changed sly/calm demons personalities into wild in order to increase their loyalty.

If you're fusing max loyalty demons together, the new demon will result with maxed loyalty as well, making it so you don't have to worry about it.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - Finally beat him but gently caress how annoying. Same wit this magnetite poo poo WTF! I keep running out! I wish it was more like SMT2 where it was only punished if abused.

In terms of the magnetite, if you're not already doing it already, you really don't want to have a full party of demons summoned at any time except for boss fights. You can generally get away with the MC, Nemissa, and 1-2 other demons- that way you're not bleeding Mag everywhere you go. You can also use the Zoma if you've been fusing good demons into it as a pretty decent fighter, as it costs no Mag to have summoned. It gets better the further you go in the game- near the end I typically only had 1 demon out at any point in time unless I was trying to increase loyalty on a few.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Okay what the gently caress. So now I have entered Algon's Main Building through Paradigm X and am now working with Finnegan. I went through the blue door and am going to activate the switches. However the demons in this area are hard as loving poo poo. They often kill me with one hit, usually with that Mahama or Mazan poo poo. How do I stand a chance against that? I can't just keep grinding as I'm currently at level 48.

You should be fine at 48, though I don't remember what level I was when I went through there. If you're getting killed by Mahama, make sure that the main character doesn't have anything on that's making him weak to Expel. Humans naturally null it, so as long as there's not something specifically making you weak to it, you should be fine. If you're getting torn apart by Zan, you should be able to go back to the armor store and buy a Ming Guang Jia body armor. It nulls force, but makes you weak to electricity.

Just as a general rule of thumb for the main character, I found distributing points as Agi > Str > Vit most helpful. High Agi will add to your evade and guarantee that you'll get to go before most enemies. With high Agi and evade, my main character wasn't getting hit very much. Similarly, making sure Nemissa has a good amount of agility to go along with her magic makes things much easier when you can launch an AoE before any enemy gets to go and wipe out a number of them.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I wouldn't say that it's really tension. Soul Hackers is definitely one of the most generous SMT titles what with giving you equipment that nulls death related spells relatively early. I'd much prefer save anywhere/more manageable continue features rather than having to redo entire sections due to some questionable design decisions. In Strange Journey, you can have the main character get turned to stone leading to an instant game over before you have any way to prevent that status effect. The fact that this can happen during a surprise attack doesn't lead to an added tension, it's poor design. The last thing I would want to do would be doing parts of that awful sector E teleporter maze because of that, and that's exactly what happened to me when I was replaying the game.

Could this lead to people saving after literally every single battle? Absolutely, but that's how they choose to do it. When you add in mechanics that soften death penalties by either getting to retry the fight (like FFXIII) or restart from that floor (like Persona 4 the Golden), then you've got more room to do more interesting balance like Mikan said.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is an inbetween of having to go through 30 random encounters before getting from point A to save point, and being able to save whereever you want. I call both being atrocious design decisions and there should be clearly a middle ground. That middle ground is well placed save points. There should be a save point on the 20th and 37th floor. Then there would be no problem.

Oh, I agree that the save point locations in Soul Hackers leave a lot to be desired for that dungeon, which is part of the reason why I had no qualms about using the Back Upper add on, especially when combined with the freezing glitch which got me twice early on. I think some of the dungeon design does start to show its age considering when the game was first released.

quote:

It shouldn't be tedium. The same way Resident Evil giving you the ability to save anywhere is a terrible idea as well as Mario. You need punishment for performing bad actions. If I die and nothing happens to me how the hell does that make anything fun? Why have a dungeon at all? What's the point? How is it a challenge if I just spam saving whenever I think I could get into trouble?

I think that some sort of punishment is fine when it comes to dying, though as time has passed, I've found I've lost my patience with harsh penalties. In games like Mario or Resident Evil, deaths tend to not set you back very far; however, I've definitely lost my patience with losing 30-45 minutes from an unexpected death. In games like Nocturne or Strange Journey, should I necessarily be punished with having to redo large sections of a dungeon because I ate an instant death attack from a monster I've never encountered before? Even Dark Souls typically isn't sending you that far back when you've died and gives you the opportunity to recover souls. I've quickly learned to always have gear on that protects me from death attacks, but that's not always feasible. At least in Soul Hackers there's a constant parade of Null: Death equipment that I just found a piece I could leave on for the entire game.

From what I've heard, SMT4 seems to have more of the balance I'm looking for when it comes to not being set back too badly in game overs.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well I finally got through the last dungeon in Soul Hackers. Probably my favorite dungeon. It is odd that there is no healing space right before the boss though. So I'm fighting what I assume is the final boss Kadokua on top of Manitou, and how in the hell do I defend against the boss's ultimate laser attack ? It just kills any three people demons in the front row.

Final boss strategy spoilers:
Tetrakarn will effectively shut the final boss down for almost the entire fight assuming you killed Apsu during the third vision quest. You will need a demon that's faster than it for this strategy to work though, but it allowed me to finish the fight without taking any damage until the round I killed it. If you killed Tiamat, I imagine using Makakarn may be as effective, but I'm not sure.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ohtsam posted:

MC of SMTV should’ve had a choice of he/she/them. Wouldn’t have even need to change the model

This definitely would have been a nice addition.