Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

That Makoto's takeaway from the hundreds of hours we spent together, and specifically from that sixth dungeon, was "I'm going to fix the system from within!" was very possibly the only take that could have made me forget about the gay pedophile npcs straight out of a 50s propaganda video and damned if they didn't do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Morgana is better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

you stole the exact song i was going to use that i remember loving to death, backside of the tv is so good, the whole atmospheric tone of p4 is just absolutely impeccable, i'm not sure any game will ever beat this soundtrack out

anyway here's another song that's a reason to just leave the game idling, goddamn gently caress yeah persona 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9CDfMhq6dM

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
persona 3 is bulk 2009 going into 10, persona 4 is 2011-2, and persona 5 is 2016-7

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Smiling Knight posted:

Picking up Persona 4G for PC. Never played a Persona game before, but I know the general structure of the games. Anything I should know going in, like particularly enjoyable social links or efficient ways of grinding social stats?

hermit is great for dungeon efficiency, but other than that, general focus on party members never hurts, but you'll probably be fine as long as you work towards ones you like. A few (hiero, justice especially) require a few maxed stats but you'll get a hang for that rhythm as you play through

otherwise just always take a matching arcana persona along whenever you do a social link (unequipped is fine), and always be productive on rainy days--keys from the machine, the beef bowl for stats, or doing a dungeon to also get the rainy day mobs there

if you're going in fresh, start making a lot of seperate saves around december 3rd and be careful with choices around then, it'll be pretty obvious why but that's the date to watch out for as far as a save file goes

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tower is a he, isn't it? The kid you have to tutor. Unless you're thinking of Temperance?

he probably did, since Tower hangs out visibly when you get him and I'm not sure you ever see Temperance walking around outside of her slink scenes

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

NikkolasKing posted:

P4 Temperance is underrated. I don't know why so many people disliked it.

it was a fine story, but you literally have to go out of your way to remember it exists--that bus stop is out of sight and mind most of the time if you use fast travel, and it's not even a familiar different character model to be curious about like Tower, it's just a bus stop

also the personas in it were generally useless garbage and there weren't any mechanical benefits so people probably just defaulted to party members instead

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Arist posted:

the least Social Link

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
there was a run on interesting high school students in kobe like 20 minutes before persona 3 started

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
if they'd just made the whole murder plot otu of contrarian kings it would have stayed unsolved

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

excuse me funky student is mandatory

ignoring him is pretty wiggity-wack i have to agree

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
a lot of the comments i've seen on sa honestly seem to trend to the positive while at least talking about the idiotic garbage that gets put on front street

which i think is appropriate for an extremely stylish game with a soundtrack for the ages that is an above average rpg with a poorly-implemented story

finishing a 120 hour rpg at all is at least something of an endorsement

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

P5 is a game that repeatedly show that societies ruling forces are corrupt from the bottom to the very top and its not just part of one person's crimes of conspiracy and Makoto, upon learning all the horrors of this world, decides to be a cop, but like.....a good one. Either the writers are incredibly stupid or Makpto the character is.

does p5 have bad beat cops in it? I really can't remember any, and the message 'well it's corrupt from the top down to almost the bottom' is a really stupid response that takes in line makoto's dad being a perfect angel hero cop while still accounting for the up and coming sae being bad because of her ambition, not the system

i'm not going to agree with the writing about rebellion from high ups in corporate culture but it feels like the tone of the whole game was 'yeah it could be good if smart kids fixed it'

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are there even beat cops in Persona 5? They kind of avoid them at large yeah, maybe to try and justify the stuff about Makoto's dad so you don't have the game going "Nah the beat cops are poo poo too" while she talks about how good and cool he was.

I really and legitimately think that's what they're trying to convey, that it's fixable if enough normal people with good intentions and hearts work to make a better world using the systems they know, and all it requires is being a magic-wielding demigod with a really cool bike I guess

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty sure we don't see beat cops at all in P5. I was going to say 'outside of incidental appearances', but I don't even think there are any of those in P5; there's crime scenes, but you don't really get close to them. P4, I know that does have beat cops, but the furthest down the chain we ever really interact with in any appreciable way is Tohru 'Just Made Detective' Adachi.

I don't really think P5 made any particularly grand statements about institutions akin to 'all cops are bastards', though. It was much more keen to interrogate things on a personal level, zeroing in on the specific actions of corrupt authority figures. But even then, not really in a way that absolves everybody else around that figure; Kamoshida's clearly your focal point for the problems at school, but nobody else there is really absolved or painted as completely innocent after he's out of the picture.

It definitely hones in on 'adults are bastards.' It just solves those problems by being video game characters

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

PMush Perfect posted:

Why don't we all talk about our first "big" fusion projects that we're proud of? I used that Mediarama + Samarecarm Power as part of a long chain, and I've now got a Neko Shogun with Invigorate 2, Diarama, Resist Wind, Re Patra (via card), and Samarecarm, as well as the usual stuff. It's not a huge deal, but I did it without a guide, and I'm very proud of myself.

i nuked facebook and this was 4 phones ago so i don't have the picture proof around anymore but my sraosha in persona 4 vanilla with all the auto makaja spells took me like an hour of X X O X X O X X O

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

deadly_pudding posted:

I've beaten the game twice? 3rd palace scenario is "Makoto gets in over her head by playing make-believe cop"

4th palace will stop a P4-esque Shadow murder, that's true.

I guess what I'm going for is that in more than half of the palaces, the stakes are only high because the party put themselves there, especially in the front half, and in the back half it's a lot of The System cracking down because the party is terrible at being covert. Whereas P4 is pretty much all dire rescue missions where the stakes were high regardless, after the first party finishes forming.

Also the stakes are artificially inflated for stuff like Okumura, where the "deadline" is arranged marriage (which sucks, but isn't dire), and the "real stakes" of a horrible exploitative company are based on a bunch of teens assuming that Haru can fix it with nepotism after they make her dad resign.

I think the problem is more the opposite. The scale of the consequences in Persona 5 are all, from the beginning, much much more dire than a single murder in a mountain town, or even a string of them.

You can't personalize the consequences of the gigantic systemic injustices 5 wants to tackle because the whole idea, even in the text, is that it would require society to care to change, and it only does because of how popular the phantom thieves get.

Every palace ruler other than the fourth has ruined lives, in increasing number and arguably severity as we go on, and as we go up the ladder absolutely indirectly responsible and/or personally responsible for deaths, but we can't sit back and examine each and every symptom of how these systemic injustices are meted out, certainly not in the same proportions that a murder in a small town would have.

The stakes feel more personal in 4 because they are more personal, and less wide-spread. A serial killer story is a more focused idea in general than a broad critique of multiple areas of modern society, and the setting of a little town reflects that, especially compared to Tokyo.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it also helped that he was a very strong character in that game iirc

(i don't know i just played naoto and acted like a jerk with mutes and mudos)

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Persona 6 will be a beat-em-up. This is the unholy pact that was prophecied by Nagoshi-san. Yakuza and Persona must trade places before Mercury aligns with Io to form a gateway in Roppongi station. On this day, Super Monkey Ball will return to claim its throne, and a new order will finally coalesce.

just the genesis SEGAAAAAAAAAAA booming from the sky as crepuscular rays blind the unenlightened and kiryu goes to smt and an smt game has a good protagonist for once

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
hamuko was too good for any of us which is why she had to be hidden away on the psp and in persona q 2

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Booky posted:

p3 femc is pretty cool (so were the p2 protags)!

though you know which school uniform is absolute garbage? the persona 1 cast, that school uniform Sucks :colbert:

most things about p1 are pretty bad and were even pretty bad back then but it did give us this dungeon track so I can only be so unkind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDNc0XKkg8U

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
just going to use Halo for the entire game np

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think so. Ulala is gonna punch your lights out! Or, well, she'll probably actually spend all her time healing but ya know.... it's a team effort.

i liked that the healer in persona 2 wasn't so much a person as it was whoever's turn it was to equip pixie with mediarahan card

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
only hitting on alley cats

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the only good things about sae are an affection for good hats and that yellow roses on doberman pinscher is a strong aesthetic choice for a tattoo

everything else sucks

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i entirely forgot about that particular strongarming

i have the feeling that they kind of did too--that scene was probably mostly an excuse to give the protagonist and sae some screen time together during the regular course of events

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
after how well p4g did on steam I think even a company as thick-headed as atlus can look at the numbers, idk what exactly we'll get from it but some kind of P3 seems pretty likely tbh

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
they could just release FES as-is again and please literally me and nobody else

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Arist posted:

They should destroy all existing copies of FES with fire

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
they stopped bothering bc they actually made the best one already

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

NikkolasKing posted:

What is Reversed in P4? They just get mad at you for some reason?

Isn't Reversed what happened when you didn't talk to people for a prolonged period in P3? I remember I broke Yukari's S Link because I said I didn't want to date her. I never wanted to date her so I just answered honestly when she asked if we were through.

reversed was only in a few situations in 4, only naoto and ai. i think you could possibly break one in 4? i really don't remember, but if so it was the same consequence as reversing, it was just asking a few questions until they want to talk again

reversed in 3 was if you had multiple romance links in 9 or something similar, or if you left them alone for two months, or cancelled plans, and just required answering a few questions, but you could go from reverse to break which meant you couldn't summon that arcana and had to do further fixing

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
my favorite is the distinct dancing around differentiating makoto the student/sister from makoto the social link from makoto the phantom thief

gonna talk elliptically about this person for ten hours to her sister, the smart lawyer

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the runup to okumura is the worst, summer vacation and morgana acting like a stupid rear end in a top hat and all the straight to bed poo poo

all that for loving okumura's palace to boot

at least sweatshop is a jam

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sae needs to meet Baofu, the other Persona prosecutor.

it is really kind of jarring that your party was a cop, a prosecutor, a writer for some current affairsy type of rag, a gym bunny and naturally a high schooler

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i was leaving out billionaire nate and supermodel ellie i suppose yes

ellie's dungeon was 5x less stupid and i only took nate the one time so i could do the ex dungeon

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i'll leave you alone in your corner, sitting and viewing you from the digital devil saga corner, dusty and abandoned

i am a skeleton bc i am dead in this corner btw

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
next gen labrys' boston accent

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
whatever comes next is going to be a 480x360 port of the ios smt1 or something equally inexplicable

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
doing law in sj means siding against the cutest demon though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

ApplesandOranges posted:

My biggest beef with P3 is Fuuka, really. Demure wallflowers aren't usually my thing in the first place (see Haru), but at least Haru has some spice in her, whereas Fuuka is just 'oh no!' and 'I'm bad at cooking but good at inventing'.

I still quote her deadpan gasp the enemy roughly weekly

also her calling you a cheater