Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
So uhhh...what is it that you guys want? For them to censor the english release and have everyone's boobs slightly smaller? That would be pretty hilarious actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I think I'm just going to wait for Persona 2 PSP to come out here. I'm enjoying the translated rom but as lame as this may sound, I'd like to actually pay for it and the enhanced version probably has slight UI improvements.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I find it kind of strange that in a series with demons so predominant, especially goetic beings, that Asmodeus has had a very limited amount of appearances in the SMT games and Persona.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Can someone please spoiler Day 8 for Devil Survivor DS. I'm debating whether I should just buy a cheap copy of the original or wait. I beat DS before but sold my copy to a goon for money I needed and am getting the urge to play it again. I don't have a 3ds yet but I was expecting more extra stuff from this game to warrant purchasing it but subpar voice acting (that can be disabled thankfully) and what looks like a tacked on extra day just aren't doing it for me.

How many extra demons are there?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Well day 8 sounds awesome..sigh. Oh well. Could someone list me the new demons in Overclocked? Is it a bunch of low level crap or anything interesting?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I kinda hope it's persona 4 remastered for the ps3 with extra doodads like fes.

I'm so mad that someone actually posted that on another famous board as a gag.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Jammer Jones posted:

I picked up Devil Survivor Overclocked last week and still have the original Devil Survivor. I've only played few hours on the older one, is there a need to really hang on to the original DS version?

No, unless you're a collector I wouldn't. Also here's a list of all the new demons of Overclocked:

Megami Black Maria
Vile Baphomet
Snake Yurlungur
Dragon Fafnir
Divine Sraosha
Avian Rukh
Avian Huoniao
Fallen Mithras
Beast Cabracan
Wilder Catoblepas
Genma Tschaggatta
Fairy Spriggan
Fairy Troll
Tyrant Lucifuge
Touki Tokebi
Touki Ongyo-ki
Jaki Macabre
Femme Jahi
Kishin Okuninushi
Deity Susano-o

Really cool to see Lucifuge Rofacles, he was always a favorite of mine due to his mythology and looks. I don't think he's been in many games.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 29, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I feel like the most rear end backwards, bizarre person in the universe because out of all the smt spinoffs my favorite is Devil Survivor. :smith:

Doorselfin posted:

GameSpot has their review of Innocent Sin PSP up, and the results aren't great. Seems like it copped a lot of the criticisms of the first Persona remake:

http://au.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/persona2tsumi/review.html

holy poo poo that's horrible. I played the regular IS a month ago on my psp and even with its graphics/gameplay it still deserves a 7.0 at least. P2 deserves better.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 1, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Policenaut posted:

We're probably never going to see another full-scale Megaten game on a console again.

Thanks to Portable Acceleration (or whatever the Japanese call it), the industry is effectively abandoning JRPGs for consoles in favor of making them on portables. They've been doing it silently for like 10 years. This is only getting worse with the Vita, where we've got all these devs saying "Oh man we don't have to pay millions of dollars to make a JRPG anymore and it'll still look good!"

The most we can hope for at this point is Vita gets some kind of HDMI-out cradle like the PSP Go did.

I kinda welcome this because I've gotten more play out of my psp/ds this generation than my ps3 but I can easily see how it turns people off. I sometimes want to just play a game on my HD tv so I don't have a humongous expensive set up so this might be part of the reason.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I'm still trying to beat Persona 3:FES after years of having a copy I haven't done much with. I always feel like I get bogged down with social link stuff and worry I'm going to miss out on something unless I follow a guide 100% of the time but recently someone told me the game was much more enjoyable just doing whatever links I enjoyed. I guess he's right but I'm still early in the game.

I can't get an ultimate persona of a respective tarot card unless I max the associated s.link, right?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Thanks. Also regarding the tired status: I'm playing FES (not the psp version) so can I just keep going in and out of a bathroom until I'm cured or is it completely random? I've been going in and out of the same bathroom 10 times so far but I'm still tired.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Anyone got any grinding tips for Persona 3: FES (not portable)? I just got to level 3 tartarus but I feel like are all the guardians are kinda kicking my rear end and each victory has been really close.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey folks. I've been playing the 3DS SMT game a lot and it's my first SMT game, but I already kind of finding myself craving more. All the different mini-series confuse me. What game should I buy??

Person 3:FES, Persona 4 and then...if you love those games enough you can try the psp game for the female route. I'm..nearly halfway through Persona 3:FES, it started out a bit slow for me while I was figuring out how poo poo worked (what social links to do etc) and it all clicked soon after that. Ordered Persona 4 today so I can jump straight into it once I beat FES and I will probably buy the P4vita game. I'm addicted to these games now

Nocturne is really good, but I think its very different/harder than the ps2 Persona games.

TurnipFritter posted:

III's definitely my favorite. I dig the tropical setting and the new classes. It also hits a nice balance between the first game's "You win battles through attrition" and the second game's "You better kill the enemy and fast before it OHOKs your whole party."

Um, but you may want to hold off on buying any of them until after TGS though. Rumors are going around that they're gonna announce a new EO game, so you might want to make sure it isn't gonna be a 3DS port like Devil Survivor Overclock.

All of them.

This is good..except for maybe the devil kid series. I really hope we get remakes of SMT1 and 2 sometime in the future :(.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..I've seen tons of fundies say how pokemon is satanic. So, what I'm getting at is that I did a bored google search and found this webpage:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/991/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/

Persona 3 and DDS got a 2/5 christian rating, makes you wonder what he'd rate Nocturne :v:

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 8, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

What's the plot of SMT2 that makes it such a hot ticket?

It's really not THAT bad, my best friend is a catholic and thought it was hilarious.

Last boss of the game is YHVH and he's a yellow disembodied head that is more or less the Wizard of Oz. Also Satan and Lucifer are fairly big players and Satan works for God/YHVH.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 8, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

I always thought it was that and the Garden of Eden being a dungeon that pushed it over the top.

Is it really that or just another warehouse like every other dungeon in the game? An SJ style remake of SMT1+2 would be really cool because I love the story in those games..but drat if playing them now feels kinda bad.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 8, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Ugh..I'm level 35..is it possible at all to get a sun arcana person this early? I saw the level 30 crow on SMT wiki listed in the sun arcana but I googled recipes and they all require level 50 persona...wtf.

Talking about P3:FES here.

Funny there's so much Junpei hate on this forum, he's my favorite character (well one of them). :(

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 12, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I really wish they hadn't redone Persona's music completely because I really liked the original's soundtrack a lot. It was very atmospheric and set the mood well for the game. I haven't tried the remake but I really don't care for the P3 style music used in the P1 setting (I like P3's music so don't get the wrong idea). The sounds guys make when you hit them in P1 is great too and I liked the Persona sound effect. Maybe I'll beat the game one day.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 14, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

This is why the PSX version of Persona 1 had the best localization, in my opinion:

Mega spoilers of course, so be warned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0t5Ose4pAg

I'll kill you slow!

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

75 hours into Persona 3:FES, finished the last fullmoon shadow battle and I'm somewhere in November now. I kinda regret how I raised a good deal of my social links (way too much time in hermit and hanged man that never paid off) and most of my max links don't get any great persona until the 70s or 80s. Thankfully I did max emperor so I'll be able to get Odin sometime soon but I wish the really cool personae (Beelzebub, Satan, Lucifer) weren't so drat high. I raised my s.links based on who I found the most interesting/what arcana has persona I liked the most based on aesthetics and stuff. I totally neglected temperance, justice , high priestess and some others that I assumed would suck but probably would have made my life easier in Tartarus.

Oh well, I learned my lesson for when I play Persona 4 and PS3P (permanent Shinjoro! and female MC yay!). Also, aside from the orpheus awakening scene early on all the anime cutscenes are horrible. Everyone is mis proportioned and they have weird muppet mouths. If you're seriously on the fence about whether you should get FES or portable do NOT let the anime cutscenes be a deciding factor. Most of them are bad on a near Tim Buckley scale and I'm saying this as someone who loves this game.

That aside, what are some persona I can fuse in the 50s range that have bufudyne spells? I have access to agi,garu and zio but ice spells seem hard to get a hold of in this game. In many cases I'm still using mabufu to knock over ice weak enemies. I don't have the empress arcana social link yet (doing lovers).

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Shinjiro isn't permanent. He goes into a coma instead of dying if you save him.

Are you serious? That's awfully disappointing :smith:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Wow...I finally beat Persona 3: FES last night. Clocked in at around 120 hours because I spent a few days going nuts in monad, sperging out, trying to create awesome high level personae. The game's ending was nuts, I'm really glad I beat the ps2 version first though because the cutscenes with nyx avatar coming down with ryoji's eyeless face were pure nightmare fuel for me, on a first time silent hill level. Maybe I'm just a wuss but the whole last boss was creepy as hell for me yet it was awesome too. Nyx avatar + Death may be my favorite final boss ever, alongside Kefka in FF3/6. The ending was so great too, the whole thing with the moon becoming a giant...eye thing scared the hell out of me and the interactive bit at school .reminded me of earthbound for some reason.

Can someone who's beaten the Psp version tell me how "epic" the ending feels in comparison? I know I berated them before, but I think the last couple of cutscenes in the game were pretty good and really helped up the scale. I'm trying to imagine how it would have felt without them.

This game was an amazing experience and now I have Persona 4 waiting for me. I'm excited but at the same time I don't know how its going to top 3's ending and last boss.

Krad posted:

And then this happens:

oh boy I forgot I have this game sitting somewhere. Really looking forward to trying it again sometime. I think I'll wait til I beat nocturne though.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 24, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

edit - quote not edit

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly after playing both versions I found the PSP ending scene to be a bit less potent, since you just get a few stills from the cutscene instead of the whole deal. It still felt emotional but definitely less so.

Oh well that kinda sucks but its understandable :(. Also, was reading a few pages back regarding Junpei's "special" friend: Is it true you can revive her or was that just a troll?

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You can, but she has amnesia or something and she's irrelevant the remainder of the game

Ah I see, that's kind of dumb in my opinion. It takes away from the impact of the event but its neat its there.

Speaking of her... I really wish Jin hadn't died, especially considering Takaya survived too. I kinda wish we had seen more of Takaya in the ending, I liked his design and foil to the main cast a lot. I guess I'm biased because he reminds me of anime-fied hybrid of Jim Morrison and Rasputin. During the interactive part of the ending I explored the Iwatodai backstreets hoping to run into him , maybe seeing him as some punk on the street who had lost his memory too.

I think the strega people were explained nicely at the end, but I feel like I would have liked just a bit more exposition.

Also, was it just me or did Ikukski's "reveal" seem totally out of the blue? He was such a dorky character and then WHAM hahahaha I've been loving with yo idiots the entire time, now watch me summon Death!! He should have taken the moment to use some ironic pun about Death and being Deaf.

Starting P4 now! :D

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 24, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In general I kind of wish STREGA were in the limelight more. I thought they were all cool but besides Chidori, they didn't really get the screen time they deserved.

Me too, I really loved Jin and Takaya for some reason. I love Jin's english VA too for some reason. Chidori was kinda...dumb.

Iceclaw posted:

I thought that Strega was a good idea on paper, but with failed execution. The idea of an "evil" counterpart to SEES was good, but they created more plotholes and awkward moments than they were worth. Takaya's Plot Gun in particular was egregious.
Though I regret that the cult part in the end was never expended upon. Maybe because it would have meant fighting generic human beings and possibly killing them, which would be a no no to SEES?

I half-agree with you. I feel like the cult was down well for the most part at first I felt like it was just a way for you to feel like poo poo was going to hell as the promised day draws nearer and nearer and I never expected much more for the cult. Then sure enough you find out Jin and Takaya are the ones running things.

I'm kinda glad you never fight any cultists or anything though, Silent Hill has soured me toward the whole evil cult order in video games. I just see the cult as a way for Jin and Takaya to gently caress with people and have fun because they've known for a long time that they were cheated out of their own lives and want to live in the moment.

What does bother me is that there is absolutely no fall out over the fact Kirijo group are the ones responsible for strega and hundreds of dead children they tried to force persona summoning powers on. I know by the time its revealed people want to just kill Nyx but christ, Mitsuru and the rest of the cast don't seem that dismayed AT all. She should have at least tried to pull Jin away from the shadows, for the sake of "honor" or something. Instead she just tells everyone to move on and they run away. I know the end is near and they probably felt they would be wasting time trying to help one of their enemies..but it just felt weird.

The reveal about strega should have been sooner.

Oh well, still loved the game. Most rpgs have worse plotholes I think.

About 30 minutes into Persona 4 and I already like the setting more. Whatever poster said the characters had more chemistry is right.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What bugged me about Chidori the most probably was her english VA sounded way too old.

And her cringe worthy cosplayer moe-suit. I like how the strega members consist of teenage Rasputin with tattoes, quirky computer hacker dude with a briefcase and some chick pulled from an anime convention.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 24, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Nessa posted:

The lack of cut scenes obviously makes things less dramatic, but if you play as a girl in P3P, then Ryoji is a social link, so it's all the more distressing to see him as that... thing. I was all like "You're not my Ryoji. Give me my Ryoji back!:(

Wow the fact he's a social link along with your teammates is enough reason for me to want to pick the psp version. I ended up really enjoying the combat and demon fusion even if the game wasn't that hard once I knew what to do, it just brought me pleasure in a way that breaking FFT did. My thunder reign beelzebub was doing more damage to the last boss than Lucifer. Kinda disappointed to hear there's no secret dungeon floor in P4, like Monad where I can become leveled fast and get the really badass strong persona. I just get such a kick out of having Satan and co with me.

I think the cutscenes I really enjoyed a whole lot were when Nyx avatar descended down and it cuts to his face, which was loving scary. I've read about black eyed kids in some creepy pasta a couple of years ago so I guess that's why he was so scary to me. It was an awesome, awesome boss fight too.

Other favorite cutscene was seeing him uh...turn the moon into a giant scary eye thing. I seriously went through the game kinda disliking how bad the cutscenes were but that and seeing the people freaking out/going crazy on the streets was surreal as hell. You're lucky you got to see someone playing the ps2 version while playing, in my opinion, the "funner" one. At first I enjoyed the AI because I thought options worked pretty well...that is until I got several gameovers once Yukari had wind break and preferred to use that instead of her spells while set to heal :downs:.

I'm trying to sell my best friend on this game because he's one of those types that insists good jrpgs stopped existing after the end of the psx era. He has the psp version at least, but he's playing the male route. If I lived near him I'd lend him my ps2 copy. People should experience both versions and I'm glad I listened to forum posters here

Persona 4 related: for the dungeons do I tackle one all at once or do I gradually defeat bosses each day like in Tartarus? There's no fatigue in P4 so I'm kind of wondering about what routine I want to go into.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 24, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Thanks! This is all incredibly helpful and makes stuff a lot easier for me.

I heard about a true ending in the game as well, what do I need to worry about for unlocking it? Too scared to google or look up on gamefaqs because people don't mind spoiling poo poo with little to no ramifications.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Uhmm...what the hell is up with Mr.Morooka's teeth? Or is it his mustache? I cant stop staring at his portrait.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 25, 2011

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

DrManiac posted:

Yep, it looks like persona 5 has been in development since late 2010. I would guess either 2013 or 2014 since it's apparently in a new engine.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30/persona-5-is-in-development-but-wont-be-released-for-quite-some-time/

[e] I can't loving wait to see how it looks since it will be the first current gen megten game.

God I hope it comes out on ps3 and not wii.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Catalina posted:

Plus, the Devil social link in Persona 3 is FANTASTIC.

By the way guys, guess who beat Persona 4's Contrarian King before the bathhouse opened up and even before the hermit social link started?
:smug:
Finally I have my revenge for when Persona 4 was my first SMT game, and I didn't know a Tarunda from a Pulinpa! Who's going crying back to an earlier save now, huh, Contrarian King?

Yeah, devil was probably my favorite in P3, unlike moon which was really, really disappointing.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Wow..I've had Strange Journey for 3 years, barely touched it but finally decided to beat it because I had SMT4 pre-ordered. Love the music and dungeons, game seems decently challenging too since even when I spend awhile leveling the sector bosses are still kind of tough. I'm using the reset-password trick to keep all my sources though.

I'm on Sector Carina,how much longer do I have? Also any important MUST KNOW tips for the future in regards to good demons and skills? I've just been fusing as much as I can and using my sources to get buffing moves on everyone. I'm going the chaos route, are the final bosses different for the routes?

Kind of sad SMT4 won't be a first person dungeon crawler, I've really warmed up to the genre from playing Soul Hackers and SJ, maybe I'll try the Etrian Odyssey series afterwards.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

I don't really mind the new Lucifer design a whole lot, the old one(s) will always be my favorite, but I think he looks pretty creepy in a Hellraiser-Cenobite-ish way..well maybe more like Powder, I guess :|. I haven't had a chance to see the seraphs yet.

The Kotaku article is a little silly considering everything I've read about SMTIV makes it sound a good deal easier than SJ and the other games.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Guess I'll be skipping SMT IV then, I don't mind the challenge but demon negotiation is a load of horseshit. SMT games are hard enough without bullshit RNG.

I don't think negotiation is completely random, but I could be wrong. I think at least in SJ that demons have different personality types but its still irritating trying to figure stuff out. Its still really annoying in SJ when you have a full moon and the demons ask you weird questions with no rhyme or reason, like "EAST OR WEST?".

I'm more happy they eliminated moon phases, I don't mind negotiation a whole lot but that's just me.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Harlock posted:

I can't wait for the Persona spin off where you only play as animals who have Personae.

Fursonae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Does Persona Q have major P4 spoilers? I never beat the game and don't currently have a vita or ps2 but want to try it.