Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Devil Survivor is great. I really think that the Megaten style of battle really meshes well with a tactics, grid-based style of gaming. It just worked really well. I'm hoping the new game has the Skill Crack system, too, because I actually kind of liked that gimmick. It fit well with the COMPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

I don't really think you can simplify Naoya to that degree. He's not so much an over-petulant manchild as the direct result of the hubris of YHWH, who in the Megaten games is a prick who hungers for as much belief and power as he can get. And for that matter, I don't think you could consider the LAW path good at all in this game, since the bastards are kind of responsible for the whole situation to begin with, pulling the strings and trying to make the world in their own image.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Well, you might have missed it, but Naoya is only in the situation he is in because of his own hubris. He has an out - to admit that he was wrong, repent, and YHVH will let him out of the cycle of reincarnation. But he's too spiteful to ever consider doing so.

Oh, that I know. But still, I don't find his refusal to say sorry as childish. It makes sense that'd he'd be mad, since biblically, God refused his sacrifice only because it was vegetables, and God looooves blood. I mean, there are some versions that point out his crops being lovely, but whose fault is that?
But really, I just always side with Chaos in these games, because I have a weakness for the crazy, evil anarchy that comes. The only time I didn't prefer the Chaos ending was in Strange Journey, where I just loved the Neutral one. Mostly because of that awesome computer AI whose name escapes me.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Agnostic watermelon posted:

What, really? It not even like he's going to loving eat them anyway so why would that matter? :psyduck:

Blood was pretty symbolic to the ancient Hebrews, and most cultures at that time. It was this mysterious poo poo that they connected to life and all that kind of stuff. That's why women were kept away from the tribe when they menstruated and all that stuff. God wanted Cain and Abel to give them blood, because it was the most precious thing afforded at that time.

And it really, really feels weird spoilering the Bible, but such is Megami Tensei.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Ayana posted:

Which adds a whole lot of :psyduck: to Cain killing Abel. Because, hey, wasn't Cain giving God blood then?

I never thought of that. But, it's probably because the body wasn't burnt or something, which they saw as the smoke rising to God. Or something like that.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Okay, I think Grand Gigas's thing about "God only wanted blood thing" is a bit ridiculous.

From what I read. It's not that "his crops were lovely/God only wanted animals" but that he took whatever was lying around and just really didn't think about the sacrifice and that's why God was upset because Abel took the very best he had to offer and basically made sure that strict attention was paid to what he sacrificing. I really think the whole "God craves blood" thing is a bit of a stretch and you're reading what you want out of it.

I'm not saying that God is a giant vampire or some monster or something. What I'm saying is that the whole point of sacrifice tended to revolve around killing things (that have blood) in the name of one's arch-deity. It makes sense, because blood held the God-given mysterious life-force. Back in the day, a blood sacrifice was required in order for forgiveness; although it wasn't the olny way, it seemed the most common and effective. I'm not being an Internet Atheist, just pointing out the actual beliefs of the ancient Hebrews.

But hey, is there anymore news for Devil Survivor 2? I'm excited about the look of the demons that come every few days. I love the abstract, crystalline look. Justice, any more info you can give us? Eh, Eh?

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Do you mean game or do you mean glorified spell effect that takes the form of a mythological entity?

Either way the answer is Yamaoka.

Deal with it.

What is this? And what is this from?

Edit: Wow I found it. http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Yamaoka This thing is honestly the greatest demon I've ever seen.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll probably avoid TDE for my first playthrough, but I'll start putting strength ahead of magic for my level ups. I thought I had read that magic was the way to go, but now that I think about it, I think I'm remembering advice for Devil Survivor or something.

As a side note, the camera control in this game is hilarious. I'm assuming the dungeons in this game are going to mostly be corridors, so making the right analog stick a weird, dedicated first-person view sort of thing is just a bizarre design choice.

You should definitely do it in your first playthrough. It makes it possible (I think) to fuse every demon, which is something to really aim for, since it's cuts the price of every demon in the compendium during the New Game. Same goes for getting the high score of all of the graveyard fights. it'll make your new game + that much more impressive.

I cannot explain how nice it is to play the earlygame with a maxed Beelzebub and Metatron, but's like having the world's best bodyguards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

But the super Pixie does come with a few open skillslots. So you can give her Pierce and Debilitate, if you want. Still not as boss as Metatron and Beelzebub, but close.