Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

We need to start a church, and buy some land out in New Mexico. Maybe something with a boneyard.
After someone brings a Fiat X1/9 you can all commit ritual suicide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've been using deodorized Liquid Wrench and it seems pretty good. I didn't even know Seafoam had a penetrant - I'm gonna give it a shot now that I've killed my last bottle of Liquid Wrench on a stuck fender and knock sensor bolt.

I want a machine shop so much.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Couldn't you just pull a car AC system out of a junkyard car and adapt it for use in the Volvo? Bending pipe to run the proper plumbing shouldn't be a challenge for you and you can probably find a suitable pulley to run a belt over to the compressor.

That said I'm not sure how much room you really have in the engine bay. PTO AC? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, you two are tremendously productive.

In a lot of modern applications, asymmetrical fans are usually used to reduce NVH - the varying fan blade width prevents it from having a constant thwup-thwup-thwup and bounce in the frame as the air is disturbed. I have absolutely no idea why they would do something like that on a car, leave alone a military vehicle.

e: Some cursory Google searching seems to indicate that Volvo has done it before on their cars (140 series) which tells me it's probably a parts bin special. Maybe it smooths out the engine feel (or somehow lowers parasitic losses; some kind of flywheel effect) on small displacement crankshaft mounted fans?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 1, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Doccers, do you need something smaller for nipping down to the grocery store in?

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/04/09/1970-volvo-c202-4x4-pick-up/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Jeez dude, cupholders in a C304. Next you'll be installing a heated seat kit. :v:

That looks wicked, good work. How did you figure out the seat belt angles?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should never drive any vehicle with your thumbs wrapped around the steering wheel. People break their thumbs all the time sliding into curbs and I can only imagine how fun it is with an airbag.

Get in the habit!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Custom radiators are so badass. That one looks amazing - really nicely made and it looks like it fits great.

Are you going to chuck the original or try to get it repaired at a radiator shop as a spare? I can't imagine you can just run out to NAPA for a C303 radiator.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have seen airplane-style cargo nets for sale at military surplus shops here for not very much money, but portable hammocks or those giant trunk/hatch SUV cargo nets they sell at commercial surplus stores should work out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Bad news Doccers, your car is becoming popular amongst hipsters.

http://hooniverse.com/2013/11/21/blipshift-takes-hooniverse-advise-buys-volvo-c303/

Admittedly they seem to have gotten the C303 superlight sports model.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is the best reveal of a new car in the history of AI.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well, at least you got a trial by fire. From doing a Google search there's some news entry from last fall about how the road is actually closed indefinitely.

Congratulations!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

You have made me a very happy man. If I can ever get my garage reconfigured to park two vehicles in it, I just might finagle my way into another GT.

It's not like a GT is a very big car. You could probably park it in your kitchen or front foyer.

If it really comes down to it, that truck has a bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ssjonizuka posted:

I think I've just figured out a new source of secondary income for you two and your projects.

Youtube channel with either of you running the stupidest errands possible in said milsurp vehicles.

bonus points for funky music and/or editing.
extra bonus points for mounting a go pro on the outside of said vehicle.

I would watch this for the sheer hilarity.

This week on Activities With Volvo, we're going to the Volvo dealership to get an oil change done. It says $25, all makes, all models, and we're a Volvo, so we should have a competitive advantage.

(articulates suspension over parked C30)

You should see my wife's car.

• Locked thread