Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
:siren: :siren: AGDQ January 3-9! :siren: :siren:
http://gamesdonequick.com

old thread
Speed Runs/"Real Time Attack"

Simply put, speedrunning is the practice of playing through video games as fast as possible. There's a couple different goals a run can have:

Any% - Basically means "do whatever you can to see 'The End'/make the credits roll as fast as possible". Glitches and sequence breaks are encouraged.
*Super Mario Bros 4:59
*Portal 9:25

Low% - Beating the game with as few items/pickups/progress as is possible to beat the game, as quickly as possible. This is only a separate category when slower than the any%.
*Super Mario 64 0-Star 9:11

100% - Completing every game-defined goal or collecting every item in the game as fast as possible.
*Quake 100% Secrets+Enemies 48:00
*Super Mario 64 120 Star 1:48:06

Other - Games can have whatever goal is clearly defined and worth competing over.
*Zelda: Ocarina of Time All Dungeons 2:45:58

Runs can be segmented (saving to break up the game into pieces, to reload whenever something goes wrong), or single segment (all one unbroken playthrough). Speedruns take a lot of effort, and restarts are really, really, REALLY common. Most of us have really high standards and will reset otherwise perfect runs for messing up some stupid 1-second trick.

I say us because I speedrun a couple games. Unfortunately most of the games I like enough to speedrun are comparatively niche/obscure and don't get that much recognition, but I don't care too much cause I do really enjoy speedrunning. Right now I've got the world records for Blast Corps, Armored Core, Fantasy Zone, and Kid Chameleon.

The main speedrun community is up at Speed Demos Archive. SDA hosts a ton of speedrun videos and has some really active forums for what might seem like a niche hobby. You might be able to find a couple faster videos on Youtube but SDA is the best overall resource for videos/info. SDA also puts on charity marathons about twice a year, which are loads of fun to watch and a great way to blow a weekend.

Also notable is Speed Runs Live, a website encouraging live-streamed races and speedruns on a single attempt. There's no forums or recorded runs -- everything is done through a very popular IRC channel which can be accessed through the site. It's a relatively new site but the admins are constantly working to improve it. Even if you have no interest in participating in the races, the Streams section almost always has something worth watching.

Tool Assisted Speedruns

TAS runs use emulators or other methods of manipulation to slow a game down, play it frame by frame, reload save states, and enter inputs otherwise impossible for a human in order to "push the limits" of a game. These games are NOT supposed to be compared to real-time speedruns. They are for entertainment. TAS runners aren't "cheating" because the tool assistance is not secret. For the love of God don't argue about this.

TAS runs tend to follow the same goals as above. These runs use extreme exploits to beat the game faster than humanly feasible (Rockman any% 12:23.34), or just to entertain (Family Feud, International Super Star Soccer Deluxe, Brain Age).

The main website for TAS runs is TASVideos. It has a ton of EXCELLENT TAS videos, including a "recommended" section with the most accessible/entertaining videos. There's also a forum filled with page after page of people discussing ways to shave off that one last frame. I find it really fascinating.

Feel free to discuss speedruns in here -- your favorite runs, new runs, which games you'd love to see a speedrun of, which games you'd like to try speedrunning yourself, etc. I'll probably be making GBS threads up the thread with my Kid Chameleon progress for at least the next month :)

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Excellent OP! Looking forward to done quick.

I'm kinda psyched for the TJ+E games to get run. It seems like they would be ripe for TAS but I haven't seen it.

factorialite fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2011

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Please watch this speed demos archive run of Max Payne, it is ridiculous.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Strapped in and ready to watch the marathon!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

On the subject of TASes purely designed for entertainment, one of the most famous examples is the Family Feud Glitchfest by Heisanevilgenius.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Hopefully some awesome poo poo comes out this weekend.

Too bad I'll be in the mountains away from an internet connection.

Enjoy the show everyone! And donate!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I completely forgot about this marathon, but happened to check the old speedrun thread with one minute to go before the start :stare:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Site's set up and ready, go go go!

http://speeddemosarchive.com/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Good luck, UraniumAnchor!

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
UraniumAnchor hasn't even been live for a half hour and there's already been several hundred dollars in donations! :woop:

factorialite posted:

Excellent OP! Looking forward to done quick.

I'm kinda psyched for the TJ+E games to get run. It seems like they would be ripe for TAS but I haven't seen it.

I'm interested in watching it too, but mostly because there's just SO MUCH that can go wrong. The bloopers video for the SDA run is hilarious.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

On the subject of TASes purely designed for entertainment, one of the most famous examples is the Family Feud Glitchfest by Heisanevilgenius.

Oh poo poo, how did I forget that? It's one of my favorite TASes. OP'ed

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

furry drum circle posted:

I'm interested in watching it too, but mostly because there's just SO MUCH that can go wrong. The bloopers video for the SDA run is hilarious.

I know, it's ridiculous how difficult it is to perfect it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

furry drum circle posted:

UraniumAnchor hasn't even been live for a half hour and there's already been several hundred dollars in donations! :woop:

Already over 1000 bucks and it's not even an hour in. :aaaaa:

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And Blaster Master is done! Good job UraniumAnchor!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Wow, this is actually a really cool schedule of games. Only a couple on there I'm not interested in. Disappointed they're not doing Deadly Premonition.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

XboxPants posted:

Wow, this is actually a really cool schedule of games. Only a couple on there I'm not interested in. Disappointed they're not doing Deadly Premonition.

They would skip all of the cutscenes!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm half-tempted to stay up for the Castlevania: Harmony of Despair and Demon's Crest runs later tonight.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
I'm going to put some beer in the fridge and wait for Snake Rattle n Roll and Ninja Gaiden. This is going to be great.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Donations seem to be on a steady $1000/hr pace.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Am I the only person in the world who finds babies annoying rather than adorable?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Am I the only person in the world who finds babies annoying rather than adorable?

No, I'd mute the stream every time it'd start making noises.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
It really depends on what the baby is doing. If a baby starts crying, then things get annoying, which is a pretty natural response. Otherwise I don't really care much.

Essentia seems pretty good at leaving the room if the baby gets upset.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
That pie was amazing.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

:patriot:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What's this "nesbot" thing I just saw in the stream window as I came in the door?

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

iastudent posted:

What's this "nesbot" thing I just saw in the stream window as I came in the door?

A bot that can play back some TASes on a real console.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a device that loads TAS data so it plays on an actual NES.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Any idea if either of the Zelda games being played are going to have donations for filenames?

I want to get the word out well in advance that everybody should donate money towards getting the filename to be Lunk. The bid war for OOT last marathon was amazing and I'd love to see a ton of money get raised again and for "Mom" to be defeated.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
I was so excited when I saw wizards and warriors on the display and so saddened when it turned out to be wizards and warriors 3.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Looks like we're still some ways away from being made obsolete by robot gamers.

"How do I beat this guy!?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Popo posted:

Looks like we're still some ways away from being made obsolete by robot gamers.

"How do I beat this guy!?"

No, NESbot just wanted fries and refused to kill the Burger King.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

:bubblewoop: It's Duckfist time! He's running MM9 Buster Only and MM10 normally, and I consider both to be must watch runs.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone else getting video (but not audio) lag during Duckfist's MM10?
e: It was great, looking forward to DLing the replay.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 5, 2011

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It buffered on occasion for me but wasn't anything too bad.

Edit: Oh god I'm not going to get any sleep this weekend.

VVVVVV, Cave Story, Quake 2, Portal, and then L4D2 all in a row.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Arrow's running Donkey Kong '94 (the Game Boy one) now. If you haven't seen this game or his run in action you need to.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Anyone else think this thing would be better with a "Stream the game only" option? At least visually? I really don't need to see a guy with a controller and 5 guys resting their head on their hands.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Anyone else think this thing would be better with a "Stream the game only" option? At least visually? I really don't need to see a guy with a controller and 5 guys resting their head on their hands.

I don't mind that but I do wish they made the actual game screen size on the Super Game Boy (assuming that's how they're playing it on a TV) larger. The game itself is a bit hard to make out with the black border around it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This is still my favourite speed run.

http://youtu.be/5gwbMv29Fhg

Super Mario 64 in 1:52:02.

On an actual N64. It just feels so much more authentic that way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm really looking forward to the recordings this time. My internet connection seems to be working great otherwise but the stream isn't getting to me in a way that makes Castlevania watchable. :sigh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

ABRACADABRA I WIN

I love it when TAS techniques are applied to poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
One of my favorite TAS videos has got to be this run, which breaks the original NES Mega Man completely in half.

The whole this abuses every possible glitch in the game, but poo poo really gets real in Bombman's stage. After that, the slow decent into absolute madness begins, with stages less and less resembling their original versions. As a grand finale, Dr. Wily is defeated in just two shots (using a pretty cheap and obvious trick, but whatever).

• Locked thread