Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
So I have all but 4 of the videos encoded but archive isn't letting me upload them. An email has been fired off so hopefully it'll get fixed and I can upload them when I go to campus on Saturday to get my books (much faster upload there), but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

iastudent posted:

Man, furry drum circle needs to lay off the one-handed Mario 64 and round out the posting here once in awhile.

I just finished my last day of temp work today, and I've been working on something really exciting :ssh:

in the meantime, you'll take this and like it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBJw7j8uVvg

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

furry drum circle posted:

I just finished my last day of temp work today, and I've been working on something really exciting :ssh:

in the meantime, you'll take this and like it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBJw7j8uVvg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1PbweGeEo&feature=related

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ9_tLpLZvg

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This is fantastic. I will totally be there stream monstering as much as possible.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Got the upload thing worked out so more videos are becoming available:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/

All that's not done encoding yet is Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear, and Kingdom Hearts 2. Everything else that's missing is currently uploading.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

You speedrun Keen4? That's neat. :) Hopefully I can tune in!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

UraniumAnchor posted:

Got the upload thing worked out so more videos are becoming available:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/

All that's not done encoding yet is Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear, and Kingdom Hearts 2. Everything else that's missing is currently uploading.

Watching the StarTropics video and there's some pretty bad desync about 45 minutes in. I noticed it in the Blaster Master vid too, right near the end. Don't know if anything can be done about it now, but I figured I should let y'all know somehow anyway.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

XkyRauh posted:

You speedrun Keen4? That's neat. :) Hopefully I can tune in!

The Keen 4 run is a guest appearance by Cosmo, actually, who's perhaps more famous for his recent retaking of the Ocarina of Time Medallions/Stones/Trials World Record during his own 24 hour marathon.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Watching the StarTropics video and there's some pretty bad desync about 45 minutes in. I noticed it in the Blaster Master vid too, right near the end. Don't know if anything can be done about it now, but I figured I should let y'all know somehow anyway.

I think I fixed Blaster Master (I'll have to reencode and reupload it of course), but the problem with Startropics is that I had to source it from Justin which seems to have some pretty annoying jump desyncs in it, not sure I can get it any better than it is without a lot more work than I can put into it, unless you can point out the precise timestamps where it looks like the video jumps and the sync changes.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

UraniumAnchor posted:

I think I fixed Blaster Master (I'll have to reencode and reupload it of course), but the problem with Startropics is that I had to source it from Justin which seems to have some pretty annoying jump desyncs in it, not sure I can get it any better than it is without a lot more work than I can put into it, unless you can point out the precise timestamps where it looks like the video jumps and the sync changes.

Unfortunately I can't off the top of my head; wasn't paying attention to the time stamps when it happened.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well I'm excited, I dunno about anyone else.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I'll be streaming a ton of practice over the next two weeks at http://justin.tv/peaches__ . Today I'm gonna reroute Toejam & Earl and maybe discover some more glitches.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc getting his Bad Street Brawler on.

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

iastudent posted:

Funkdoc getting his Bad Street Brawler on.

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

On a less impoverished note, trihex is going for Sub-3:15:00 Yoshi's Island 100% at http://www.justin.tv/trihex. He always makes this game look smooth, plus there's a bonus awkward webcam stream of :siren: A GIRL :siren: silently watching him play.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

On a less impoverished note, trihex is going for Sub-3:15:00 Yoshi's Island 100% at http://www.justin.tv/trihex. He always makes this game look smooth, plus there's a bonus awkward webcam stream of :siren: A GIRL :siren: silently watching him play.

Oh my god, Trihex's mom. :lol:

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh my god, Trihex's mom. :lol:

http://www.twitch.tv/tiki77747/b/293359476 :lol::lol::lol:

Also I just put up a rough schedule of Dogathon up in the "About Me" section of http://www.justin.tv/peaches__ . Worth noting is the addition of Neskamikaze's ten minute guest run of the DOS game Duke Nukum. I also put up the prizes I'll be giving away to donators. Please check them out and tell all your friends about my marathon! :)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some of the numbers are missing from your description. Examples:

- SDA has raised over ,000 for various charities.
- One random person who donates or more towards the winning name

Also drat I wanna win that TJandE poster!

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Ugh. Justin.tv's html editor parses
code:
$
into dollar signs, then eats all the dollars. It should be fixed now, but sadly I have to manually change all the $'s into
code:
$
every single time I update my channel :sigh:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Maybe just remove all the $ and write the word dollars instead?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
I don't like how that looks :spergin:

edit: for content, cosmo is pounding out some really nice Keen attempts. He's 20 seconds up on his record right now. http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright

edit: 11:29, new record by almost 30 seconds :stare:

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 25, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, I don't think that Keen4 record is ever getting broken.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

This is the best way to play TJ&E, Peaches.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yeah, I don't think that Keen4 record is ever getting broken.

The highlight is STILL processing, 3 hours later. :mad: I want to see this epic run!!

Edit: It's up now, finally! Lots of close calls. He got seriously lucky with some of those Skypests. Congrats Cosmo!

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 26, 2011

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One impressive run that I rarely see mentioned is Krystal's Zelda: Link to the Past. There is a shorter time on her ustream but the execution in this version is more impressive because there's no savewarping. It annihilates the LttP records on SDA.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15259424
sadly ustream loves to drown you in ads. Adblock for firefox can block them, I think, and there's some hosts file tweak bullshit that will block them too but I don't remember how that works. You can also just download the .flv using the equivalent to the Activity window in Safari.

brap fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 25, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cosmo (and several others) are doing another OoT Puzzle Race: http://justin.tv/cosmowright

This time, the goal is to get the Fire Medallion, and the following things are banned:

- Deku Shield
- Deku Stick
- Goron Tunic
- Bombchus
- Bottles (so no Bottle Adventure or Reverse BA)
- Heart Pieces or Containers
- No using Bomb Flowers as Adult Link
- Adult Link Trade Quest Items

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Cosmo (and several others) are doing another OoT Puzzle Race: http://justin.tv/cosmowright

This time, the goal is to get the Fire Medallion, and the following things are banned:

- Deku Shield
- Deku Stick
- Goron Tunic
- Bombchus

You know, I'd love to participate in these but you really, really have to know the game inside and out. However, it makes for a great watch... you can hear the gears turning in his head as he plays.

In speedrun news, ZFG quietly broke Cosmo's OoT MST record with 2:51:59. The real time is slower but it translates to a faster run when the US vs JP time differences are factored in. Guess Cosmo will have to do another MST marathon :v:

And if you haven't seen the recent Sonic Adventure 2 Hero Path 29:09 by SDA newcomer son1cgu1tar, go check it out. It's equal parts impressive gameplay and clever exploits. It's a really entertaining run.

I also think we should get some AGDQ2 discussion going. Right now the gamelist is here. What is everyone looking forward to or wish was on the list? I think there's some redundant games/blocks right now (Portal 1 AND Portal 2; 6 Castlevania games; 7 Mega Man games, 3 of them being races :geno:). But it's easy to look past that cause I'm really excited for all the classic fps games on next year's list. Quake, Duke Nukem 3d, System Shock 2, Half-Life... I think FPS are really entertaining to watch being run. Even if you're not familiar with a game, I think the genre itself tends to offer really entertaining runs.

Finally, Dogathon is in a week :woop: make sure you watch when I'm live!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I like the 3 Funkdoc Castlevanias because even though he's pretty banal he makes up with great gameplay. The God Hand might be good(might). Your Kid Chameleon should be fun. Both Portals bore me to tears. Jman's Ninja Gaiden's are always good and I'll be interested to see UA do 3. Will definitely tune in for Yoshi's Island as Tri-Hex seems to have more flair than most runners and that makes YI very fun to watch.

The only thing I really don't like seeing in there is the 12 hour block for VII. That's just ridiculous and horrible watching for everyone. Plus Rane grates on my nerves really bad.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Crotch Bat posted:

I like the 3 Funkdoc Castlevanias because even though he's pretty banal he makes up with great gameplay. The God Hand might be good(might). Your Kid Chameleon should be fun. Both Portals bore me to tears. Jman's Ninja Gaiden's are always good and I'll be interested to see UA do 3. Will definitely tune in for Yoshi's Island as Tri-Hex seems to have more flair than most runners and that makes YI very fun to watch.

The only thing I really don't like seeing in there is the 12 hour block for VII. That's just ridiculous and horrible watching for everyone. Plus Rane grates on my nerves really bad.

From what I understand, FF7 will be split up into two 6 hour blocks. I still think it's a little ridiculous too, since that's enough time for solid, moderate-length runs of at least ten other games. I think it's unfair to viewers who want to watch games from start to finish (even in blocks it's unlikely many people will watch all twelve hours) and unfair to runners who have practiced and refined the hell out of other worthy games (Mike wont give my boi Animeowzerz half an hour for Bomberman Hero). Unfortunately I have no choice but to admit that FF7 will be a cash cow and bring in a ton of donations... I imagine the bidding war for Cloud's date alone will be ridiculous.

Also Rane is a love him or hate him kind of person. I can see how his commentary gets on peoples' nerves but I met him at this year's AGDQ and he's a very genuine dude.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Unfortunately I have no choice but to admit that FF7 will be a cash cow and bring in a ton of donations... I imagine the bidding war for Cloud's date alone will be ridiculous.

This is pretty much the heart of the entire matter. If it were just about putting together the most diverse and interesting lineup of speedruns possible, all 12 hours of FF7 probably wouldn't even make the first list, much less the final roster. However, the primary goal of the marathon is to make money, and FF7 is still a massively popular game, has incredible nostalgia factor, and will probably cause a shitload of donations for various silly things like you mentioned.

Now, as for completely super redundant runs, including Portal 1 for the 4th time (AGDQ, JRDQ, SGDQ, being the first three), especially when Romscout's previous runs of the game have been somewhat lacking, just seems pointless when they're also including Portal 2. Of course, both of these games are hugely popular as well and will at least generate donations for the room to sing that drat ending song yet again, so I can see why both are on the list here, too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I don't hate Rane the person, I just hate Rane the guy who talked the entire time he was in the room last year. He just has no filter, is really loud and talks over everyone. I'm sure he's a nice guy, he just talks too much.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm just excited to see PC stuff getting attention for AGDQ2. Quake is pretty much the full circle game when it comes to SDA's history.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, a few of the games are getting a bit overdone, I would've liked to see some newer things. But popularity comes first since it brings in the donations. I plan on going, even though I'm not running anything. Maybe I'll get some time during the bonus stream, but probably not.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

I like the 3 Funkdoc Castlevanias because even though he's pretty banal he makes up with great gameplay.

I thought he did a pretty good job at the last AGDQ. He's one of the few runners who can keep a conversation going or give commentary without sacrificing run quality. When you're playing games as tough as the CV games, that's really drat impressive.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is Rane the loud guy that was large and in-charge last year? It was hilarious and a little sad when the donations for him to be quiet piled up. I'm asking because I actually hope he is large and in-charge again this year. It would not be at all the same without him.

Portal 1 I'm less excited for than FFVII. I thought Halo would be on there so Cody can get his revenge. I guess he'll make due with Reach.

Bubble Bobble will be cool. Not co-op?

Demon's Souls!? :ohdear: Things that can go wrong always do at AGDQ.

Bubsy 3D? Oh this will be a treat.

Of course, can't wait for peaches__'s Kid Chameleon.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 29, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Bubsy 3D - Should be crazy fun and I hope to see this broken game in it's entirety.
Yoshi's Island - Guaranteed thrill ride.
Castlevania's - Don't care for these (haven't played any of the games), also seems like it's overboard.
Demon's souls - Likely going to be intense and full of serious time. This could be :ohdear: the run.
Half-Life - YES, this is a great game to watch speed run.
Mirror's Edge - Should be a great race and I really look forward to this one.
Resident Evil 4 - I enjoy watching runs of this game.
Resident Evil Remake - I was wondering when this game would get some love, I'll be happy to see what improvements Carc will show us over previous runs.
Serious Sam TSE - This is a great one, but probably will be lost on most of the crowd since it's not mainstream enough. There should be donations made for everyone in the room to scream AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

There's other great games as well which I won't comment on. I'm glad that there's such a great lineup of FPS this time around, it's something that needs to be seen more on SDA. There is so much to look forward to in the next marathon and I hope I have time to see everything.

I agree that final fantasy 7 hogs up a stupid amount of time and I probably won't watch much or any of it. Of course I cannot deny that it's likely to be the biggest earner of the marathon.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

- Deku Shield
- Deku Stick
- Goron Tunic
- Bombchus

wrecked it baby

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mega Man races can be a lot of fun. Simon's LP thread of MM4 has a race in it and it's a mixture of hilarious drunken play and some serious skill. If you get 3-4 quality runners racing it can get really exciting.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Final Fantasy 7's role will be to occupy the timeslots when most of us should be asleep so we can watch the other awesome games. It's a necessary role that some game has to take up and I salute the player who's duty it is to run that game.

Portal 1 needs to be retired for a year or two because it's been on every single marathon in the last year.

As for the mega man games, the blue bomber is hugely popular and entertaining to watch. They will bring in new viewers and get lots of donations.

I personally don't see the point to have 3 different Tony Hawk runs.

I think the rest of the list is solid and should be great fun.

Edit: just saw halo reach on the list. I hope the option to mercy kill games that go way over the time limit is available this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So where's this Keen 4 run? All I can find is one from 2006. :psyduck:

E: Disregard, wasn't looking at the full list of old videos. I had to go deeper.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 29, 2011

• Locked thread