Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The Sunday Sequence Break is live already (sorry for the late notice, I was eating dinner). Tonight's episode is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Alucard edition with Romscout and MechaRichter. I believe there will be another SotN episode to discuss Richter runs at a later time. The stream is, as always, here: http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak

TSSB will be on break next week because of SGDQ and also the week after due to marathon hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cosmo's Wind Waker record is now down to 5:45:54 (file name: Bill Nye). His new goal is sub-5:40.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Cosmo just got 5:45:54.53 in Wind Waker, and thinks he could easily get 5:40.

gently caress you Shadow Ninja 64 and your tool-assisted posting.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

Cosmo just got 5:45:54.53 in Wind Waker, and thinks he could easily get 5:40.

gently caress you Shadow Ninja 64 and your tool-assisted posting.

Speaking of tool assisted: if/when somebody gets around to doing a Wind Waker TAS It's probably gonna be nuts

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DolphinCop posted:

Speaking of tool assisted: if/when somebody gets around to doing a Wind Waker TAS It's probably gonna be nuts

Aarg! Epilepsy, my only weakness!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
While practicing for SGDQ I got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4975LBuNiqY

And it still had a bunch of dumb mistakes in it. Every time I think I have a good goal I need to lower it like a week later. :stare:

SGDQ in three days! Get hype!

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm noticing two things about the schedule

1) Though the banner is up to date, the title of the page still says Awesome Games instead of Summer Games.

2) I'm not noticing filenames listed as donations incentives for anything. Are they just assumed? Or has everybody involved decided to save themselves the trouble and name everything possible "Lunk"?

I'm trying to come up with something to donate for filename wise (if it's still being done) other than Lunk. I think he had his time to shine last marathon. I've vowed not to donate towards any Lunks this time just to see if it gained enough inertia to just be a bit of marathon culture.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
No, there's definitely incentives for filenames. There's a couple things that need to be fixed last minute before it's accurate. I know some people are working on that.

Edit: Also, my donation tracker has the new event added:

http://donations.uranium-anchor.com/tracker/

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 22, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's lousy that none of the Zelda or Mario 'big names' are going to be at the marathon. No Cosmo,ZFG,RunnerGuy,Adarax or Sig/CFox/Sicko

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UraniumAnchor posted:

While practicing for SGDQ I got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4975LBuNiqY

And it still had a bunch of dumb mistakes in it. Every time I think I have a good goal I need to lower it like a week later. :stare:

SGDQ in three days! Get hype!

Shatterhand!

I love you so much right now. One of my fave NES games of all time, killer soundtrack to.

And sinister won't be there which sucks, I love that guy. :smith:

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 22, 2012

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't think I've ever seen Shatterhand before, looks fun

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Dr. Dos posted:

I've vowed not to donate towards any Lunks this time just to see if it gained enough inertia to just be a bit of marathon culture.

Look at the prize list again for that answer:

Zelda II prizes posted:

Zelda II title screen sword perler; Lunk vs Dark Lunk artwork

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's the first 3 Zeldas and a few Marios including 64, which is probably the most run mario game.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

BlueArmyMan posted:

Look at the prize list again for that answer:

:swoon:

My day has been made.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's lousy that none of the Zelda or Mario 'big names' are going to be at the marathon. No Cosmo,ZFG,RunnerGuy,Adarax or Sig/CFox/Sicko

If sig showed up the twitch chat/IRC would be flooded with everyone from his chat.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Where did the Lunk thing come from anyway? I think I remember them mentioning that it was from SA, but I'm not positive.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I believe it is from Maxwell Adams Twilight Princess LP.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

It's from Maxwell Adams' Ocarina of Time Master Quest thread, where he tried to beat the game before the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy finished.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Welp, I'm taking the plunge and making a Gain Ground TAS. Wish me luck. I'm clearing about a stage per day and the stages only last a few seconds each when played back, so at this rate it'll take a few months. :suicide:

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

OneEightHundred posted:

Welp, I'm taking the plunge and making a Gain Ground TAS. Wish me luck. I'm clearing about a stage per day and the stages only last a few seconds each when played back, so at this rate it'll take a few months. :suicide:

Most TASes do take quite a while to make!

Even then, good luck. :)

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

fleshweasel posted:

There's the first 3 Zeldas and a few Marios including 64, which is probably the most run mario game.

He probably meant the people running those aren't big names, as opposed to the games themselves. I remember stream chat being unnecessarily harsh during Gombill's run at this year's AGDQ because it wasn't Siglemic, despite him giving a solid run that only a handful of people have ever beaten.

Anyways, I'm about to go catch my flight right now. Have fun watching :)

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

OneEightHundred posted:

I just checked SDA and I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been any runs of that game done yet. You'll have to share some tips with us if you get far enough into your project.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

iastudent posted:

I just checked SDA and I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been any runs of that game done yet. You'll have to share some tips with us if you get far enough into your project.
Most important tip: If you change direction every 3 frames, your animation frame never updates, allowing you to moonwalk.

Less important tips: Tornados ignore collision while fading out but still damage enemies, the first 4 characters have the highest move speed (even though the third and fourth have much better range), subpixel movement resets and causes a no-move frame if you change direction, explosions prevent refire (never use grenadiers!).

I'm not surprised that it's not on SDA. Doing the game fast is very risky, one mistake and you take a huge time hit, two mistakes in a row and you lose a character permanently and probably have to restart the run because one character (the third) is just so much better than the others. Also round 5 is brutally hard and the last boss is a dick.

I am surprised that nobody's done a TAS of it.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 22, 2012

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Most important tip: If you change direction every 3 frames, your animation frame never updates, allowing you to moonwalk.

I'm not surprised that it's not on SDA. Doing the game fast is very risky, one mistake and you take a huge time hit, two mistakes in a row and you lose a character permanently and probably have to restart the run because one character (the third) is just so much better than the others.

I am surprised that nobody's done a TAS of it.

There is this one, but it's not complete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYlAGrTrQGU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, I saw that. 4 years old and abandoned. I thought the game would be popular enough that someone would have run it, especially with runs of obscure stuff like Toki floating around.

Also I'm running it with 2 players which is a lot faster. At least, it's faster to watch, it's mind-bogglingly slow to produce with the 2-key limit ruining everything. :v:

e: There's a thread on TASvideos that I'm updating with info as I find it, with stuff like AI behavior, damage, HP levels, etc.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 24, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Poodleskirt is currently on WR pace in MST.

http://www.twitch.tv/poodleskirt

trendwhore
Apr 22, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

(and can't post for 7 years!)

Cosmo is well on his way to achieving a new WR with Zelda: Wind Waker.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Edit: New WR: 5:37:15

trendwhore fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 24, 2012

Wikiman
May 30, 2011

trendwhore posted:

New WR: 5:37:15

And he still has the desire (and ideas) to improve!
Cosmo's relentless.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cosmo needs to take up MM and destroy that game too.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cosmo needs to take up MM and destroy that game too.

MM is already pretty hilariously destroyed. You should check out a run of that game.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Yeah, MM has enough people running it. WW is still somewhat new territory since this is the first time people have been seriously digging into it.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

HKR posted:

Yeah, MM has enough people running it. WW is still somewhat new territory since this is the first time people have been seriously digging into it.
It's a wonderful time for speedruns. I dug out my Wind Waker disc tonight just so I could replay it (even thought I've been watching it being beat once every few days).

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

jonjonaug posted:

MM is already pretty hilariously destroyed. You should check out a run of that game.

All I'm really wanting to see is how quick that game can be 100%'d but the only run on SDA is from 2006 (or '09, can't remember off the top of my head).

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Pidmon posted:

All I'm really wanting to see is how quick that game can be 100%'d but the only run on SDA is from 2006 (or '09, can't remember off the top of my head).

If you happen to have 6 and a half hours available, a single segment 100% run was made less than a year ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1aF71rc-s

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Only a scant 7 hours remaining until Summer Games Done Quick begins!

Check the schedule and plan your viewing accordingly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think Wind Waker is really sort of interesting right now considering TASers should be finding more and more stuff now the focus is on WW, and it's really interesting how fast they can cut it down considering how huge the game world is.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

iastudent posted:

Check the schedule and plan your viewing accordingly.
Well crap, first day with 4 hours of Ultra<motherbeater 'go suck everyones dicks on SA'>Jman , looks like i can skip today.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Obscure Risk posted:

Most TASes do take quite a while to make!

Even then, good luck. :)

This is true. The Fire Emblem 6 TAS I've been working on has been in progress for a year and a half, and has had to be restarted multiple times due to new approaches and tricks being discovered. Latest incarnation is up to chapter 7, planning out ch8 now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Well crap, first day with 4 hours of Ultra<motherbeater 'go suck everyones dicks on SA'>Jman , looks like i can skip today.

More like 3 and a half hours, and there's other runners before/after/in between him so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Don't worry, everybody's favourite http://www.twitch.tv/trihex will wrap up his own marathon week today with plenty of language and substances.

• Locked thread