Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Studio posted:

How much has been made from these in the past?
Took these from the various archived marathon pages:

Classic Games Done Quick: $10,000
Awesome Games Done Quick 2011: $52,000
Summer Games Done Quick 2011: $20,000
Awesome Games Done Quick 2012: $149,000

There was a Japan Relief Done Quick in there too, but there's no stats for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Heran Bago posted:

If he wasn't around we'd just have to complain about Mike Uyama or something and it just wouldn't be the same.

One of my favorite moments was I think a year and a half ago, when somebody donated :10bux: "for Rane to shut up".

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

TheTofuShop posted:

SirVG gave a heartfelt story about a TAS-er who unfortunately committed suicide, he was wrought to tears and then gave a very sincere plea for anyone considering doing the same to talk to someone before hurting themselves. And then JMan jumped up.

Hahahaha I just saw a dude with a weird hat talking real slow so I tuned it out but holy poo poo

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Rane got a lot of ire from viewers for the '11 marathon but he seemed to accept the criticism and adjust accordingly for the last one and I don't remember anyone saying anything bad about him.

TheTofuShop posted:

SirVG gave a heartfelt story about a TAS-er who unfortunately committed suicide, he was wrought to tears and then gave a very sincere plea for anyone considering doing the same to talk to someone before hurting themselves. And then JMan jumped up.

:stare: the gently caress is wrong with Jman?

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 29, 2012

rashreflection
Sep 19, 2007

So you're the hater, huh?
Japan Relief Done Quick was right around $25k total with the bonus stream. The Demon Rush pulled in a ton there so we'll probably see it in Awful Games Done Quick.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Makes me wonder what the rough ceiling is for these things in terms of money raised. I'm figuring AGDQ '13 will probably pull about $200K and SGDQ might be able to top out around $80K or so(perhaps a bit more). They made some really marked improvements over the year before but it can only go so high.

Still, it's amazing to see the cash flowing in for these things now. I mean, $20K is nothing to sneeze at but when you look and see what they're doing now, it's drat significant. I think the AGDQ '12 money was supposedly enough to fund not only one grant but two(or drat close to two), which is amazing.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Is there going to be any bonus stream action going on?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ohvee posted:

Is there going to be any bonus stream action going on?

Yes, but it won't start until sometime tomorrow.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Grawl posted:

I recorded something, but it's a surprise what it is. I'll give a hint; it's Jman crying over something not related to the stream or the cause (autism), because someone told a serious story about suicide and then Jman decided he needed a bit of attention regarding that issue too. But that's it for hints, you'll have to figure out the rest yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrNxk36AuIY

MBISON YES .GIF

I didn't see afro guy or mustache guy until this video, weird.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Thanks to everybody for watching and donating. My brain is too fried to do anything else right now. I'm going to just sit here and eat this delicious food.

Bonus streaming some time tomorrow, but no solid plans yet.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Bigass Moth posted:

MBISON YES .GIF

I didn't see afro guy or mustache guy until this video, weird.

Afro guy only joined for the FF6 run.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can they stop inviting that guy? I feel like his emotional instability probably makes it awkward for at least some of the people in that room.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My favorite marathon moment is during CGDQ when some guy donated :10bux: for Uyama not to kill any dogs in the first stage of Contra III and immediately he said "Not happening, not happening, NOT HAPPENING!" then he ended up resetting the game twice (he did apologize during Hard Corps though) That run was also pretty much what coined "serious time" as a term if I remember right.

That and all of the Sub-Terrania run this year. "OH NO!" perfectly sums up that game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I decided to upload the full uncut ultrajman meltdown with better audio and some stupid video effects because that's what I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBoa3FvLbLU

Other than Including that, good marathon for the most part! Good poo poo to PEACHES__ especially. Looking forward to the next one!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

absolutely anything posted:

I decided to upload the full uncut ultrajman meltdown with better audio and some stupid video effects because that's what I do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBoa3FvLbLU

Other than Including that, good marathon for the most part! Good poo poo to PEACHES__ especially. Looking forward to the next one!

I can see the mouse pointer, what are you some kind of speedrunning noob?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Grawl posted:

I can see the mouse pointer, what are you some kind of speedrunning noob?

poo poo I guess I am, I didn't even notice that. poo poo. poo poo. Now I'M going to cry....

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, please let's continue talking about Jman and what a piece of poo poo he is because he spazzed out and got slapped by his mother.

Quick, someone email him that video then post his replies.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Yes, please let's continue talking about Jman and what a piece of poo poo he is because he spazzed out and got slapped by his mother.

OKAY!!!!!

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Quick, someone email him that video then post his replies.

why do you keep defending him constantly? seriously of all people why defend him. he is a genuine piece of poo poo who keeps having these absurdly pathetic breakdowns, what is at all appealing about him to you that you've had to make like 4 posts telling people to stop being mean to him?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

absolutely anything posted:

I'm not done yet :madmax: expect some quest 64 bullshit tomorrow

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

furry drum circle posted:

If Quest 64 didn't make it into the bonus stream I would have figured Mike broke your cart.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Saphire_flames posted:

why do you keep defending him constantly? seriously of all people why defend him. he is a genuine piece of poo poo who keeps having these absurdly pathetic breakdowns, what is at all appealing about him to you that you've had to make like 4 posts telling people to stop being mean to him?

Because I don't care about the thing he did or who he is, so he has a breakdown, so he gets emotional at these things, why does this bother people so much? Do any of you know him?(outside of peaches and uranium anyway)

He raged at Rayman, got bitched slapped by his mother and for some strange reason some goons just can't forget, its like you all want him to die or something because of him acting like an idiot.

I mean, there where so many good runs in that marathon and awesome moments and these last few pages have been about Jman and what a shithead he is.

I just don't get all the hate is all.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I can't believe your so good at that terrible game. Did you ever play the other infamous N64 RPG, Aidyn Chronicles

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Saphire_flames posted:

I have no interest in Jman as a person, but I think the whole speedrunning thing is the easiest way for him to connect to people. Yeah he's awkward as gently caress but that's the course for someone coming out of their shell.

I'm not trying to defend him, but what's the point in attacking him? Does the internet need another chris-chan?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Alteisen posted:

Because I don't care about the thing he did or who he is, so he has a breakdown, so he gets emotional at these things, why does this bother people so much? Do any of you know him?(outside of peaches and uranium anyway)

He raged at Rayman, got bitched slapped by his mother and for some strange reason some goons just can't forget, its like you all want him to die or something because of him acting like an idiot.

I mean, there where so many good runs in that marathon and awesome moments and these last few pages have been about Jman and what a shithead he is.

Yes being annoyed at an awkward nerd being on an otherwise fine stream is the same as wanting him dead.

How much did you pay for him to go to AG/SGDQ?

Lawyer Dog
Mar 29, 2010

Tomorrow will be a joyous occasion. For those of you who haven't seen Quest 64 speedruns before you should all get hype. Those of you that have should get double hype because of the crazy new strats and techniques the Quest 64 speedrunning community has been coming up with.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Is it going to be Quest or Eltale?

Octary
Jul 29, 2011

If any sharks aren't broke, we will make it rain.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
Internet meltdowns are hilarious like 99% of the time, and that's before you add "streamed speedrunning marathon," "ff6 ending music in the background," and "has happened once already" to the equation. Kid obviously needs some help but until then thank god for these moments of youtube joy because they own really, really hard

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Can I get a link to the saved version of Typing of the Dead?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Alteisen posted:

OmegaZultan posted:

[...] at some point he was crushing and was in good tidings with some girl who was actually his own goddamn age and they slept in the same bed together and he tried to finger her while she slept and then backpedaled to us and was all like: "GUYS WE WERE SLEEPING AND MY HAND SOMEHOW WOUND UP IN HER PANTIES BY ACCIDENT HOW TO I MAKE HER UNDERSTAND I'M NOT IN THE WRONG CAUSE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT."

I recall him actually making a youtube video about it at the time but he took it down like an hour after realizing how retarded an idea that was. This was roughly two years ago.

Uznare posted:

UltraJMan also wishes for me to give y'all hella BJ's :madmax:

Context: I commented on one of his deadly premonition videos and that was the response.

I would like it if charity drives didn't involve weird molesters is all.

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010
i'm not sure if this has been linked or not?

http://tindeck.com/listen/dvjd

he's seriously kinda the worst. not just some innocent kid who got bullied. an actual bad person.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

People are laughing at his post-marathon theatrics because this isn't the first time and he chose just the worst way and time to spin the conversation back towards him. If he was a polite gamer who didn't seem to have rage issues with, well, everything and who didn't have these other incidents and simply said once(and only once) at a marathon that the community has helped him come out of his shell and be a better person then there would be a lot of :3: for him.

Saphire_flames posted:

i'm not sure if this has been linked or not?

http://tindeck.com/listen/dvjd

he's seriously kinda the worst. not just some innocent kid who got bullied. an actual bad person.

:lol: holy poo poo never heard that before. Can't stop laughing.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 29, 2012

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Internet meltdowns are hilarious like 99% of the time, and that's before you add "streamed speedrunning marathon," "ff6 ending music in the background," and "has happened once already" to the equation.

Twice.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Hilarious thread you guys have here. Came to talk to other nerds about playing video games fast, but staying for the videos of emotionally unstable man-babies.

Is there a list of recommended speed-runs anywhere? Can anyone recommend some good runs to watch from the SNES?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pidmon posted:

Can I get a link to the saved version of Typing of the Dead?

Go to this page:
http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda
Click the video tab down the page
Start digging, compare with:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/
Post back if you know! I don't know if twitchtv let's you link to specific points in the video like with youtube's #t= though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

Hilarious thread you guys have here. Came to talk to other nerds about playing video games fast, but staying for the videos of emotionally unstable man-babies.

Is there a list of recommended speed-runs anywhere? Can anyone recommend some good runs to watch from the SNES?

Whew man, off the top of my head.
Chrono Trigger is pretty amazing. You know how you can attempt Lavos before reaching the endgame? (I'm assuming it's not a spoiler given the game came out in '95.) He does exactly that in a perfectly planned manner.

Link to the Past has a record that's kind of hard to find, but the play is seriously impeccable. Great movement in this game is just as complex as the N64 Zeldas IMO.

Mario RPG has had some poo poo happen to it. There's a record somewhere by the same guy that's like 20 seconds shorter but it's not really worth digging up as far as I can see.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

Xik posted:

Contra 3 has some pretty crazy stuff. The Hard difficulty no items run in particular is impressive just for what it is, let alone how fast he manages to do it.

I don't know if you haven't seen Siglemic's Mario 64 work, but he makes art out of that game and I can't post without recommending it (even though it is not SNES I guess).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
SNES, on SDA: Mega Man X, X2, Goof Troop (links on http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer ), Super Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Link to the Past. Mario RPG (also see cyghfer link) is also good but very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This marathon got me all hyped up to speedrun a game of my own, then I realized I'm not good at games that you can speedrun and the ones I'm okay at someone has done with much, much higher quality then I could do :v:.

Edit: peaches__ please learn how to speedrun Typing of the Date

Studio fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 29, 2012

• Locked thread