Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

What? It starts on Friday at 11 EST :confused:

And there it is, the first "I don't like this popular game so I'm gonna call it the Awful Games block" joke of the season. Good show! :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
IMO the real hosed up thing is that GDQs rules are now so restrictive that an arbitrary time limit for game release times is so strict that they can't be worked around

And no I'm not complaining about the fact that they need the schedule planned out in advance and has a limit on that, because it's a completely separate one and unlike the former actually necessary. Especially since other big speedrunning events are more than capable of being actually reasonable about this poo poo, like ESA.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Insurrectionist posted:

Especially since other big speedrunning events are more than capable of being actually reasonable about this poo poo, like ESA.

ESA's cut system is loving garbage and allows people to do incredibly stupid things with their submissions.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

And there it is, the first "I don't like this popular game so I'm gonna call it the Awful Games block" joke of the season. Good show! :golfclap:

I have been owned :smithcloud:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

ESA's cut system is loving garbage and allows people to do incredibly stupid things with their submissions.

Such as?

I don't even care about Distortion since I don't watch him much, but as someone who loves Souls runs it's painful seeing GDQ only accepting the very shittiest categories, not just in entertainment and runner popularity (fun fact: the actual reason Bubbles was the only one to apply for running DS3 last time was simply because he was the only one interested in running any% at all, and there was no chance of getting all bosses back then since the first DLC released even closer) but also by being by far the least suited to speedrunning marathons due to the riskier skips involved. That's why both poor Bubbles' run and the disastrous BB run in the earlier GDQ ended up being so troubled. On the other hand they've refused extremely cool guy and master Demon's Souls runner Kahmul's extremely cool Demon's Souls submissions a bunch of times which makes me real sad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I have been owned :smithcloud:

You wrong-warped yourself into the own. :smug:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm going to posit that:

Distortion2 shouldn't be able to run the 2nd DLCs because of the rules. They don't bend them for anyone, and even if I like Distortion2 and he's a great runner they shouldn't bend them for him if they don't bend them for anyone else. There's a bigger conversation of "should they bend the rules?" but there's a ton of implications with that.
GDQ Staff should be more clear on rules (imo to avoid stuff like "Should Breath of the Wild get in???" moreso than this). Like this could arguably be an incentive instead of a totally different category/run. Does that mean if a cool incentive pops up after submissions that it can't be in the marathon?
Distortion2 was right to contact staff to get clarification on his submission. GDQ Staff should've responded sooner, and his submission was a red flag, but that shouldn't change their response (no 2nd DLC). There are various reasons they didn't respond right away (workload, volume of submissions, etc.), but unfortunately most people don't really care (and to be fair they don't have to).
Distortion2 not running if he's not happy is fine. The other runner should keep trying to improve.

Studio fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 24, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

like five different people submitted games that were not out and a bunch more people submitted games they don't run with guess estimates that still somehow make it past first round cuts over games people have actually put effort into and completed runs of

shoutouts to the two people who submitted Yooka Laylee Any% with an estimate of like six hours (game turned out to be like 40 minutes long) and the three people who submitted Breath of The Wild with no runs completed and the one guy who submitted Nier Automata before it was out and the countless people who submitted games that are out that they have no runs of

bad bad bad bad

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

like five different people submitted games that were not out and a bunch more people submitted games they don't run with guess estimates that still somehow make it past first round cuts over games people have actually put effort into and completed runs of

shoutouts to the two people who submitted Yooka Laylee Any% with an estimate of like six hours (game turned out to be like 40 minutes long) and the three people who submitted Breath of The Wild with no runs completed and the one guy who submitted Nier Automata before it was out and the countless people who submitted games that are out that they have no runs of

bad bad bad bad

:lol:

Seems like a lot of people forget that GDQ is about gamers coming together for a good cause and you should be bringing your best for everyone else's sake, not trying to get popular and gather up Twitch subs.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

One of the reason ESA submissions are so uh, "odd", is that they only have one event a year. I kind of get it, since they want to try and get fresh games from 2017 but their submission cycle is sort of terrible for that.

I'm very happy I don't submit to ESA :v:.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

bad bad bad bad

I mean I see the problem with all of these from a scheduling perspective but if they want to make the effort of figuring this all out before things start and make it hard on themselves, all the power to them. I don't really see what there is to complain about from a viewer perspective (other than the prospect of watching BotW speedruns, ugh).

And people getting in with games they don't run over people who put effort in seems like a weird criticism of ESA when GDQ does the exact same thing so ???

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

:lol:

Seems like a lot of people forget that GDQ is about gamers coming together for a good cause and you should be bringing your best for everyone else's sake, not trying to get popular and gather up Twitch subs.

These were ESA submissions. And all of the ones I specifically named got through. ESA isn't where you go to try and get popular anyway it's just, people giving less of a poo poo than I apparently do?

again i may take speedrunning too seriously

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't really see what there is to complain about from a viewer perspective (other than the prospect of watching BotW speedruns, ugh)

My perspective isn't a viewer one, my perspective is a runner perspective. I have four games past Round 1 ESA cuts and one that died. My one that died was garbage so who cares, but still, if I were any other of those people who had their practiced game cut in favour of games that are literally unknown quantities, I would be, quite justifiably, pissed off.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That does sound really lovely and chaotic, but ESA is kind of an amateur hour compared to current GDQ's anyway. I don't know if the organizers are looking to become more professional, but the way you describe the submission process it doesn't seem that way.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
last couple pages were good poo poo

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I probably wouldn't want to if I was them, for all the extra pain in the rear end work their lax structure brings them it can't possibly compare to the sheer amount of stuff to do and scrutiny received by GDQs. How many people does GDQ have to do all the organizational poo poo anyway? Hope for them it's quite a few.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

TeaJay posted:

That does sound really lovely and chaotic, but ESA is kind of an amateur hour compared to current GDQ's anyway. I don't know if the organizers are looking to become more professional, but the way you describe the submission process it doesn't seem that way.

I've never gotten a clear sense of direction, vision or ambition from ESA organisation, which is a pity because I'm friends with some of the people who run it? I don't like criticizing it because of that because they do work really hard and are super easy to approach about stuff to do with the marathon and then just later shoot the poo poo with over Guilty Gear, but I'm not sure if they know what they want to be?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

These were ESA submissions. And all of the ones I specifically named got through. ESA isn't where you go to try and get popular anyway it's just, people giving less of a poo poo than I apparently do?

again i may take speedrunning too seriously

:doh: Oops, I need to pay more attention.

And probably! I can see how it would be a big deal to some, anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

eonwe posted:

last couple pages were poo poo
I've found a new shortcut in your post that coincidentally also better represents the last few pages.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

eonwe posted:

last couple pages were good poo poo

Not enough cruelly wishing other people got cancer, in this poster's opinion.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Not enough cruelly wishing other people got cancer, in this poster's opinion.

i wish other people got cancer, cruelly

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

I've found a new shortcut in your post that coincidentally also better represents the last few pages.

thats some sweet speedrun tech. i can safely say thats never happened before

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Distortion did the right thing for the wrong reason

Dark Souls speed runners are still the worst people, but at least they're not as bad as the cyberdemon group from agdq.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what do you guys want to be there will be some chuds wearing MAGA hats during NASA

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

DizzyBum posted:

Why don't we shut up about Dark Souls and discuss the real issue: there's no Awful Games block. Not enough awful game submissions this time?

Isn't AwfulGDQ an AGDQ-exclusive block?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How are you supposed to watch an 8-way Tetris race?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Heran Bago posted:

The same way you participate in an 8-way Tetris race: git gud.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

eonwe posted:

what do you guys want to be there will be some chuds wearing MAGA hats during NASA

there will be some "comedian" handing them out at the door

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Violently Car posted:

Isn't AwfulGDQ an AGDQ-exclusive block?

Yes. Summer is silly games done quick block.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

TGM's layout has 2 boards on the screen. If they double up (and deal with the input issues that introduces -- it's bad enough that you will notice it the first time you play with 2 ppl) it shouldn't be too bad.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

KennyMan666 posted:

The fun part is that I was running the game on 3DS before the PC version was even out, so if anything, he's the newcomer. I just never made the speedrun.com page since I can't record from 3DS.

I ran into something like that with a game I used to run. I've had my video of a single segment run on Youtube for years, plus discussion of it on the SDA forums (not to mention individual level runs on SDA proper). Someone else came along and posted a run to speedrun.com as a world record, except his run was slower and sloppier, I think he ran it on an emulator, and he even turned off the music to decrease load times. It looks like they've since removed that record, thankfully.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

What happens if a speedrun's estimate is significantly reduced between submitting and the marathon? (Ex: Wind Waker HD) Do they revive a cut game to fill the time?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

F. Lobot posted:

What happens if a speedrun's estimate is significantly reduced between submitting and the marathon? (Ex: Wind Waker HD) Do they revive a cut game to fill the time?

They have games that are accepted on a backup baisis.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ya there are a lot of backup games

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
someone in the trump thread has committed an unforgivable sin by asking this question

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

who gives a poop about speedrun drama lets watch some dotes https://www.twitch.tv/dotamajor

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It'd 100% just be someone who's already there. Think of the way a backup run would be handled if a runner had a medical emergency of some kind, etc.

Imo just have uranium anchor run something, the man is a machine.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I don't see how the "we had a hard time schedule" excuse holds any water when ThorW's PB is 15 minutes behind Dist2's for DLC1 All Bosses

If they're trying to make up for the embarrassment of Bubble's any% run, they're not doing a good job of it.

Zerg Mans fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 25, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i heard UA said he is the blaster master, but he isnt proving it at SGDQ

its fuked up.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

eonwe posted:

someone in the trump thread has committed an unforgivable sin by asking this question

dotes are good and not everyone has to enjoy the same content as us :angel:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

eonwe posted:

i heard UA said he is the blaster master, but he isnt proving it at SGDQ

its fuked up.

I offered and they didn't take it. I expect BM0 to at least make a showing at AGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

UraniumAnchor posted:

I offered and they didn't take it. I expect BM0 to at least make a showing at AGDQ.

I hate to be this guy, but an 8 hour FF7 run and no BM0? You better submit it at AGDQ again!

• Locked thread