Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
If you're resetting a lot, it can be annoying to resync the video. I don't think anyone has ever made a LiveSplit plugin or whatever that does it automatically (perhaps a good idea for someone to do)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Violently Car posted:

If you're resetting a lot, it can be annoying to resync the video. I don't think anyone has ever made a LiveSplit plugin or whatever that does it automatically (perhaps a good idea for someone to do)?

That's a standard plugin.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

KennyMan666 posted:

Example runs and TASes
A couple of speedruns and TASes that are meant to serve as good first things to watch for someone new to the concept, and/or "milestone" runs. They should be of games where it's obvious they're being played at a fast/skillful level, and not require intimate knowledge of the game beforehand. Marathon runs are fine for this, and audio commentary to explain what's going on is a definite plus. I don't want a lot of these, maybe 5-10 each, and not too long ones. The Ori and the Blind Forest race from AGDQ 2018 is a good candidate, as well as some Super Monkey Ball run.

I would throw in the Majora's Mask 100% speedrun from a year or two back since its also pretty well contaminated and has a pretty good collaborative vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQRkZySj9g

If you are going to make a racing category the Yoshi Island race from this AGDQ would be a good candidate as well

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

zoast recently tied the Super Metroid Any% WR and put up a comparison video of his and behemoth's runs

interesting watch to see where they keep syncing up and trading leads

That was really cool to watch, thanks for sharing!

Feldegast42 posted:

I would throw in the Majora's Mask 100% speedrun from a year or two back since its also pretty well contaminated and has a pretty good collaborative vibe to it.

I'm working my way through this run right now (in the background while I work) and I've been enjoying it. It's super chill and the runners compliment each other well and work well together to provide good, thorough commentary and execution.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Feldegast42 posted:

I don't remember if I've seen this one, but while I have no doubts at all about the quality of both the runners and the commentary, I have my doubts about a 5½ hour run being a good "introduction to speedrunning" run to showcase, which is what the list of runs I'm trying to compile is mostly supposed to be. Basically I don't want it to be a big project to watch any of the runs on said list, so the shorter the better, and anything breaking the hour mark is probably pushing it. The Ori race from AGDQ is a perfect example: just ~40 minutes long, great commentary, practically nonstop action, lots of movement tech, and even if there wasn't any commentary, it would be very obvious that it's very high level playing on display. That's the kind of runs I'm looking for.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Speaking of OOT, I humbly submit this TAS of all dungeons without opening any doors. Submitted for no purpose other than nowhere else to put it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWr7wiS-Hw&t=320s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

was it majora's mask (mighta been oot not sure) that had that 3ds run. it was super long but that was one of the all time greats.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Groovelord Neato posted:

was it majora's mask (mighta been oot not sure) that had that 3ds run. it was super long but that was one of the all time greats.

http://gdqvods.com/game/the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-3d/
http://gdqvods.com/game/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d/

both have had runs, neither is really that long?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2 hours is long for something called a "speed" run. tho not super long as i said.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpQTsPbZu6Q

this is my favorite TAS, even though it's been obsoleted by a totally different approach to the same glitch

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hooo boy is it depressing checking out this past agdq and every video where the runner is a transwoman has to have comments disabled.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Hi, I am here from the AGDQ thread and I like speedruns but I don't speedrun, thank you.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
why don't you "Speedrun" on out of here buddy :D just joshing we're all pals here

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Lobster posted:

Hi, I am here from the AGDQ thread and I like speedruns but I don't speedrun, thank you.

don't disagree with S&P or he'll yell at you

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

why don't you "Speedrun" on out of here buddy :D just joshing we're all pals here

I'm The Lobster's big bro from the agdq thread and no one talks to her that way buddy *adjusts fedora*, got it?

Post agdq I'm in this mood where I'm really pumped about playing video games again. Glad to see I'm not the only one since there were people here trying to get into it now. Good stuff!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm The Lobster's big bro from the agdq thread and no one talks to her that way buddy *adjusts fedora*, got it?

Post agdq I'm in this mood where I'm really pumped about playing video games again. Glad to see I'm not the only one since there were people here trying to get into it now. Good stuff!

I've been trying to actually finish Skyrim and it's fun but there's just so much stuff to do and it seems like a chore after I haven't played in about a month.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hung out with Aquas way too much at GDQ and now I'm playing gimmick.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
There have been 7 new submissions to Star Fox 2 since AGDQ. It's kinda great, even if the "no emulators" argument broke out again.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

The Lobster posted:

start speedrunning or I'll break your kneecaps, this isn't the fun chat thread this is the serious thread for serious speedrunners like myself

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

start speedrunning or I'll break your kneecaps, this isn't the fun chat thread this is the serious thread for serious speedrunners like myself

We all thought the speedrun gatekeeping was to keep them out, but really it's to keep us in.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Do I learn RUINER, Steamworld Dig 2, or Rise of the Tomb Raider

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm thinking of starting speedrunning, but I'm just not sure if I want to run swordless or keysanity.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

you should both run Glover

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Studio posted:

I've looked into doing RUINER myself, since I absolutely loved playing it. I'd probably say go with that, since you can do an actual speedrun through the speedrun mode, do some kind of speedrun 100% completion through the story mode, or do a speedrun using glitches and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJbKH-qqTxI&t=105s

I had no idea that was possible.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

celeste comes out in 9 days

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Dee is a bird, speedrun glover

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

:cry:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Studio posted:

Is RoTR as broken as the 2013 Tomb Raider and is mostly "Lara Croft and the Out of Bounds Adventures"?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Kikas posted:

Is RoTR as broken as the 2013 Tomb Raider and is mostly "Lara Croft and the Out of Bounds Adventures"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXybGT66xZs&t=75s

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Studio posted:

:thunk:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Deffo the hot garbage, learn it and run it during next year's Awful Block and see if you can transcend the thread again.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://youtu.be/AclseoCNAv4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When does Celeste come out

I have some suggestions if you would like to try speedrunning :v: If not, that is fine too

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The joke option is the trap vote, which I will totes ignore 👀, at least until SGDQ 2018 is over.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

If this TAS is holding the A button the whole time, doesn't it make it a 0,5xA instead of a 0xA run?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It's not a 0xA run, just posting certain 0xA bananas; the any% is down to 13 A presses. Also, the runner who's doing it doesn't like the half a notation; they count a button being pressed down as a press.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kikas posted:

If this TAS is holding the A button the whole time, doesn't it make it a 0,5xA instead of a 0xA run?

Every video on this channel assumes you've already completed some relevant subset of previous videos. Notably, every video will assume A is held from either starting the file or the previous press. Unless otherwise noted, the A button will -NEVER BE LET GO- during this run except immediately preceding another A press. This is because a held A button allows a lot of useful things such as buying moves, more potent dismounting, autojumping, faster swimming, rocketbarrel, and more. I will not be using the "0.5 A" notation because it does not add anything meaningful - as long as it takes an A press to start a file you can always have A held before a section.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
In contrast, SM64 lets you start a file with the Start button, so in theory a 0.5 a-press full run could be possible if we could get past that loving pole.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Also the sm64 videos are usually in the context of the individual star whereas this is in the context of the whole run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

FirstAidKite posted:

When does Celeste come out

8 days now

Idk if they're gonna do midnight or the more traditional 11am Pacific (just after gaben has second breakfast) for the exact launch window.

Genital jousting comes out tomorrow studio and since it's banned from twitch it would allow you to keep your current stream frequency of never

e. this isn't the tasteful chat thread I probably shouldn't be double posting but IDGAF

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 17, 2018

• Locked thread