Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone else getting video (but not audio) lag during Duckfist's MM10?
e: It was great, looking forward to DLing the replay.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm really looking forward to the recordings this time. My internet connection seems to be working great otherwise but the stream isn't getting to me in a way that makes Castlevania watchable. :sigh:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm having much better luck with the stream today. It's Kirby hour.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is Rane the loud guy that was large and in-charge last year? It was hilarious and a little sad when the donations for him to be quiet piled up. I'm asking because I actually hope he is large and in-charge again this year. It would not be at all the same without him.

Portal 1 I'm less excited for than FFVII. I thought Halo would be on there so Cody can get his revenge. I guess he'll make due with Reach.

Bubble Bobble will be cool. Not co-op?

Demon's Souls!? :ohdear: Things that can go wrong always do at AGDQ.

Bubsy 3D? Oh this will be a treat.

Of course, can't wait for peaches__'s Kid Chameleon.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 29, 2011

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I know you can open TAS videos by using the replay and ROM in an emulator, but what emulators support this by command line? I think it would make a rad screensaver to have some relatively low CPU-heavy emulator completely destroy an 8-bit game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Missed the 1-handed Mario 64 but I'm all over this SSX.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nothing interesting on the TAS front either as far as I can tell. Small only 100% Super Mario World is cool but way too long to watch all of. Minish Cap in 1:48:09, Abe's Odyssey in 42:55. Cool but nothing I really want to watch.

I don't scour youtube for the latest and greatest though, just tasvideos.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SDA has a few new runs up. I'm interested in the new 1:49 Majora's Mask and quick segmented Sonic 4. Fun!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic Adventure is a hilarious game to run through walls in and skip large sections of levels easily. The more difficult skips have the biggest payoff. I've been playing it and the risk vs reward nature makes it fun to race Sonic's story, the only part worth playing. I will be racing esteemed speedrunner Sonikkustar this weekend in live internet combat. I'm down to 1:14:31, better than the worst time on SRL.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

furry drum circle posted:

Make sure you keep an eye on his stream :iamafag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-ZflWxihUk

:wtc: Why would you even cheat in a speedrun of any sort? Don't you feel bad enough already playing the same old games over and over? I sure do.

I'm more determined than ever to win at this lovely game.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Peaches__ wants to see my race? :swoon: It'll be 6 PM pacific time. I stream here and Mr. star is probably here. Tune in for boss 1-hit KOs.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Last year's AGDQ had this guy that was large and in charge and some jerks donated for him to shut up for a period and he got all sad.

I really hope he isn't dissuaded and is large and in charge again this year.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SMB speedruns are dependent on this rule where every X number of frames you can go slightly faster. This was demonstrated with the NESbot failing in the last marathon that had it.

So does he use luck to get the frame rule right or can he actually tell the difference between every 20 or so frames?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Even in 240p I'm getting hiccups. Not a good internet connection. :sigh:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Whose streams should I look out for? 70+ people wow.

edit: This is much better.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 22, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My serious time shirt disappeared in the post. :smith:

e: They're sending me a new one! :unsmith:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 14, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you are familiar with the games in in question I'd recommend Yoshi's Island, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Majora's Mask, Super Monkey Ball and Mega Man 10. If you want something looong Earthbound and Super Mario Galaxy are neat.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What not to watch from AGDQ 2012?
Portal 2 is neat if you have played the co op before, but most of the run is loading screens and elevators! It would almost be nice to have a version edited down but then you'd miss all the banter. The run is notable for mac gaming.
Bubble Bobble wasn't good but I didn't catch the later levels.
I also think Demons Souls speedruns are impressive but boring except for the few times where they go over level geometry and skip sections of levels.

In FFVII just skip to Tifa getting the powerfist in Nibelheim if you want to see numbers flying and don't care how he has to get the parade mini game just right. I won't be watching this any time soon due to the length but some day!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Uranium Anchor please add the part in Yoshi's Island where the guy reading donations says "we have five dollars from Mike Hawks!" to the highlight reel. tia

I can't imagine what a nightmare it is putting the highlight reel and HQ/IQ versions together. Thanks so much for your hard work and mad encoding free of high pitched noise.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

Why is it that the Super Meat Boy runs, the ones I want to see most, either never go up or take the longest to go up? Dumb errors!

There any update on the still-missing runs from AGDQ'12?

I eventually caved in and watched the Ocarina of Time run on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouY-QhN1Mh8

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'll never forget this one speech Trihex gave where he talked about the first time he saw a Yoshi's Island TAS and compared it to loving the TV. He then wanted to do all those tricks for real and he went out and did it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

I know trihex doesn't like splits, but he really needs to start using them especially when you are doing something that is 3+ hours.

There's only one way to play Yoshi's Island - topless for three hours straight.

You can only fault him so much for playing the way he likes.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic Colors TASs are coming along too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wISW74N9MyI

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

FFVIII is a beautiful game to break. I suspect he will kill a few fish on the first beach and proceed to make the game a battle of menu surfing. The story will make no sense and many bosses will get killed in one round. The game hands you 100 waters to junction to strength or magic off the bat. Each GF's card gets modded into some very nice items and magic by extension. Drawing is for squares.

And with the gameplay out of the way you can sit back and "enjoy" the "story."

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Make sure you guys look out for loving STRATEGY ROBBERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emH4dN_6hA

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Isn't that the point of making these videos and talking about them? To get mnew and more people into speedrunning?

To this guy it's really important that Japanese Final Fantasy players stay on top. He pulled all his videos so people stop stealing his mad menu-selecting skills.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If I want to drop some hot tips or make a big embarrassing writeup about skips should I do something for The Speedrun Wiki, the SDA Knowledge Base, or format it in a way that works for both?

I can't find the link to create an account at the former and I requested one for the other.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 17, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

If I want to drop some hot tips or make a big embarrassing writeup about skips should I do something for The Speedrun Wiki, the SDA Knowledge Base, or format it in a way that works for both?

The answer to my own question is the SDA Knowledge Base, because it's the one that lets me sign me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Where can I find the Ape Escape speedruns by Sea Urchin Sushi mentioned on the Sunday Sequence Break?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Toad King posted:

Oh hey a new Link's Awakening TAS. Wait, 40 minutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtmgUHDdYI

:stare:

This is one of the most consistently surprising and funny TASs I've seen. Every moment of it from the humble professor tektites to the Bow-Wow and Ghosts in a normal dungeon room with a boss are exactly what TAS videos are for.

There's just something about when Link picks up an enemy's head and starts playing it causing it to shoot birds and telephones.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mike89's doing Sonic 2 & Knuckles attempts. http://www.twitch.tv/mike89sda

Died once to Metal Sonic, still got the WR by a few seconds.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

furry drum circle posted:

UPDATE: Mike added Typing of the Dead to the SGDQ schedule :tubular:

:haw: I can't wait.

And I don't have to because you'll be practicing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Someone did that Mario Land 2 climb-through-the-RAM glitch on a Super Gameboy in person.

Dr. Dos posted:

Went to download some more stuff from the last marathon that I stil haven't gotten around to and I see that the schedule it shows now is for Summer Games Done Quick:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/

Just three weeks to go!

Well it's a little early but time for a watch list.

Typing of the Dead is a great game. It'll be the best thing to watch assuming the stream runs well.

Sonic's story of Sonic Adventure is my thing so I'll either watch carefully or play along. I don't know Mapler90210

Final Fantasy VIII has some great break in it. It's worth seeing for anyone who knows the game fairly well but hasn't experienced the level of break in the LP going on.

TAS Bot might do Gradius. It's a good TAS so I hope they choose that game. The TAS bot is weak to certain kinds of luck and timing.

Little Big Planet is a curious game to speedrun. I can't stand the collision in it.

Mort the Chicken is also something I'll watch because of how odd the choice is.

Jumping Flash should be fun to see broken. Sick Ollies.

I'll see everything by peaches_, gombill, and duckfist but what else is new.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dark Souls in 32:47. I told my friend who likes the game about it and he was pretty non-plussed. "That guy's cheating!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWTf0LdCtAo

I have a scientific hourglass that measures out exactly an hour. Got it mostly for decor but some day I'll do sub this hourglass. It looks like this but red.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 4, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Duckfist is practicing Mega Man 9 superhero mode for SGDQ. romscout's playing too.

http://www.twitch.tv/duckfist#/w/3053623232?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

I've come to love The Sunday Sequence Break so much. I'm combing through the old episodes just for the sake of more content. There's no reason for being captivated by nearly three hours of bullshittery on speed running, but I find it all fascinating.

I loved the episode where they featured The Great Gatsby and A Week of Garfield.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

His negative aspects aside, the fact of the matter is he has quite a viewership, and even people who don't like him might watch just to see if he freaks out and goes ballistic, anyway.

I hope someone donates with transcripts from that video or his responses in the comment. I am a horrible person but I am donating big if he freaks out at SGDQ and makes a scene. They could even stage it.

e: Tingle tuner owns. Are there any walk-on-air skips with it or just heals?
e: http://pastebin.com/uQ0X43ng Cosmo's WW faq

I should probably be used to it by now but people in Cosmo's stream just keep asking the same few questions over and over again.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 12, 2012

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Liku posted:

How does the Tingle Tuner speed up runs? I never thought it actually had some good use.

From this,

quote:

If I perform the Zombie Hover glitch, I can use Tingle's healing to survive afterwards, which lets me perform sequence breaks in Dragon Roost Cavern, Forbidden Woods, and Wind Temple.

He can basically fly straight up after reaching 0 hearts and heal himself with the Tingle Tuner before he lands.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not going to be able to watch Portal 1 or Kirbys. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's sad and unprofessional but I gotta admit it's kind of funny.

• Locked thread