Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Cosmo is currently beating the OoT world record.

http://www.justin.tv/cosmowright

e: 2:34:51 or so, from the old 2:37:17, what a beast. also almost 900 viewers for a speedrun stream!

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Looks like he's back to practice. That's good and all, but it's so boring to watch.

vv more pizza and Mtn Dew would do the trick, running is for losers.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 17, 2011

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Cosmo currently 2 minutes ahead of his new MST world record on stream. http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

e: Volvagia :(

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 29, 2011

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Trihex just broke the Yoshi's Island 100% world record (and the 'claimed' no-video Japanese record) with a 3:12:11. There's still a good number of major mistakes in there, but still a good run.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Not defending SDA's awful verification here, but the SM64 runs are probably still good 'demos' of 'speed' for someone interested in the speedruns. They've only been beaten by a few minutes (not a lot for their length), so it's mostly minor optimization at this point, right?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

It's a mix of bad verification (takes way too long), constant backlog, and yes, it's all hardcoded HTML.

In other news, Carl_sagan, Yoshi's Island speedrunner/TASer just beat Trihex's world record by about five minutes with a 3:07:45. Just finished the stream, so there probably won't be a video up for a little while.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

The simple answer to about every codec problem is CCCP, which is the only codec pack you should ever touch. You could flip through the right click menu to get to the second audio track in MPC-HC, or use the hotkey (A).

If you want to stick with WMP, here's what google suggests:

quote:

Unfortunately switching audio tracks is one of those features buried in the new interface. You have to bring up the “classic” menu like so:

Press Ctrl + M to view the “default menu” (you can also right-click to the right or left of the audio controls, but “show menu bar” does not show in Now Playing mode.)
Click on “Play“, then “Audio and language tracks“
Select the audio track you would like to play
Press Ctrl + M to remove the menu
If you can’t see your movie, then press Ctrl + 3 (same as clicking “View” and “Now Playing”).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

trihex is doing WR attempts for Yoshi's Island.

http://www.twitch.tv/trihex

More attempts starting soon!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Not enough love for the Super Mario RPG run here. Normally, RPG runs are a bit boring, but Mario RPG has so much action going on that it hardly feels like one. Cyghfer's a great runner to watch.

Yoshi's Island is also a great speedrun--though it can feel a bit tiring at times due to the length. Of course, you can always watch Trihex play it live.

Of course, there are some standard must-watch runs: Mega Man 2, 3, 9 and 10. X and X2 were good but I've watched too many runs of them. SMB 1-3 are great. The Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts race was really fun, Castlevania IV is always fun to watch. Donkey Kong Country 2 is a lot better than I was expecting. OoT is a good watch if you're not super familiar with the game (Cosmo's commentary is great).

Runs that I wasn't really a fan of, that I did bother to tune in for: Yoshi's Story (sorry neskamikaze, but it's a boring game), Portal 2, God Hand (fantastic game, but it's a boring speedrun to watch), Mirror's Edge.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

So here's basically the sum of what's been discovered so far:, a light arrow skip/warp to end credits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplcToQsZZE

Cosmo is streaming, trying to get a run with a this new route. http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Here's my summary of the past week in Megaman:

New world record runs:
MM1 19:56 by coolkid
MM7 100% 46:43 by Obdajr
MMX any% 32:50 by calebhart42 (during a race)
MM9 21:19/32:20 by ExoSDA
MM1 'glitchless' 22:35 by ExoSDA

I'm too lazy to dig up links, but most of these people have highlights on their twitch channels, so google their names. coolkid is 'dabigbooi' on twitch.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Violen posted:

Where the hell did I disappear to online that I missed these? Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Any clue where Obdajr's 46:43 is? The only links he has archived concerning MM7 100% recently are a race and some failed attempts at sub 47.

Having trouble finding it at the moment. I'm sure he'll upload a video somewhere.

I'll be working to beat his 100% soon.

I don't know where you'd hear about these times unless you hang out in IRC a ton (#speedrunslive, #sda, #megaman) or hang out in a lot of speedrun streams. I know that Exo's runs and Obda's run are going to SDA submission, but caleb's WR is not a good run (his words, not mine) and coolkid's on emulator.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I don't know if I already posted about that with Yoshi's Island, but...

Trihex is a very technical player. He's great at pulling off tricks. But he's very inconsistent, taking deaths, making major mistakes (redoing levels), and trying to go for tricks that will just waste time if they aren't pulled off within a few tries.

Kaede (Japanese WR holder) is not very technical. He plays it very slow and safe, but makes few mistakes. He hardly ever shoots eggs, takes no risks, and makes some choices that are sort of frustrating to watch when you know something can be done better.

The next issue is the bonus games. Kaede is good at avoiding them, but Trihex hasn't quite gotten it figured out. It's not an easy thing to avoid, so it can't really be helped without a ton of practice. Over a 100% run, bonus games add a lot of time to the run.

3:00:00 is simply a bad time. I'm not saying this to offend anyone--because the US runners know that Kaede's run isn't exactly a good speedrun. If and/or when Carl or Trihex get a good run, it'll knock that time out of the water.

They've been knocking off 5 minutes over and over again for the past... year? It'll still take a little while until the runs get near the level of other games (like Mario 64).

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

rashreflection posted:

I think a good idea would be an actual WR-tracking site with a Shoryuken-style front page - updating with whatever new records appear, linking streams, etc. You'd need a decent-sized staff and people fluent in Japanese to check Nico etc. every day, but I think it could work if the right people got together.

The Japanese RTA wiki (http://www40.atwiki.jp/niconamarta/) is very active and has a ton of times, including the times for US players if someone adds them. Recent changes are on the right.

If someone did what you're proposing, it'd basically be that in English, right? That shouldn't be difficult to pull off. I was actually wondering why a site like this doesn't exist already. Obviously it'd add something like when records are broken. But the thing is, if you're also going to be adding the Japanese players you'll get a ton of new stuff every day for random RPGs, which will just seem like spam to most people who'd rather hear about Mega Man/Mario/Zelda.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Mario 64/OoT are also popular for speedrunning because... they're popular games. They also have a ton of elements that make them very speedrun-worthy (Mario 64 especially). Having a large community already playing the game also makes it very accessible. Most of the tricks/routes are well documented, you can pretty much hop in an IRC channel to ask anything, and there's always people around to race. A lot of people (as this thread might show) get into the games simply from watching others play what's popular.

Since the speedrunning community (at least, the English one) is fairly small, yes, some games drift in an out of popularity fairly often.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Carl Sagan's doing a 100% Yoshi's Island run.

http://www.twitch.tv/carlsagan42

He'll be beating the WR with no problem (edit: soon enough, I guess!).

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 18, 2012

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

^^ OoT isn't that difficult until you want to get really good at it. You can buffer almost every trick, spend time figuring out your angles and whatnot. The execution is generally not that difficult. Some people will probably flame me for saying this, but in general I think it's true. There's a large community of people that will help you out, and almost everything is documented.

HKR posted:

-Ideally the game shouldn't be run to death already(Super Metroid, Mario 1,3,W etc) since a lot of those times are nearly impossible for new players to approach and thus discouraging. Of course the game shouldn't be completely obscure either.

No offense man, but every single game on that list you posted is like this. Some of them are also very difficult, and there will be very large gaps in times--this isn't good for 'scrub' speedrunning. I have no clue what you're looking for.

SNES games that spring to mind for this kind of thing: Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, Aladdin, Super Widget, Magical Pop'n, and Kirby Super Star.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 9, 2012

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Wasn't Jman the one constantly yelling 'gently caress' 'poo poo' 'drat' etc during his run, although everyone was explicitly told not to use that kind of language for this event (which most other runners had no issue with; they also banned in chat for this I think)? I remember people saying oh, it's okay because it's jman lol which I honestly think is enough of a reason to keep him barred from the event. His speeches are also the absolute worst.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you guys remember Cyghfer from the past marathon (Mario RPG, Mega Man 2, and Link to the Past), he's doing a four-day Mario RPG world record attempt marathon, now with the Japanese version to save time compete with the Japanese players. It'll start late on Monday, and the plan is to go through Thursday (with breaks and sleep). He's excellent at the game, and it's very fun to watch, especially with commentary.

He hasn't been streaming most of his practice, but he's been working on it a lot lately, and the run is a great watch! Most RPGs are boring as hell to watch, but Mario RPG has a lot going for it.

You should follow him on Twitch so you can get notified when he goes live: http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 22, 2012

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer

Mario RPG attempts marathon will be starting at 2PM EST. LIVE

If you haven't noticed, TwitchTV's chat has been utter poo poo lately so go to #mariorpg on irc.speeddemosarchive.com to join the VIP chat. If you don't know what this irc nonsense is about, go to http://speedrunslive.com/channel/ , enter a nickname (default is banned to avoid spam), and type /join #mariorpg .

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 23, 2012

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Message from Cyghfer:

"sorry i disappointed a bit in terms of getting a great run, but i felt that luck was definitely against me on the whole during the marathon. plus, there was some routing/menu/jp language stuff that i simply didn't have enough time before the marathon to get to as high consistency as i could. i'm going to take a couple weeks of break from doing attempts at the game but i'll be back regularly doing attempts after that. i hope that everyone enjoyed watching despite only beating the record by a second!"

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

No cape Mario World and reverse boss order MM4 are two I really hope get enough donations for. Mario World lets you fly over half the levels so it would be nice to actually see them since they aren't using warps this time, and Mega Man 4 backwards just sounds entertaining.

No-cape SMW is worth donating for. The MM4 donation incentive is stupid, please don't donate for that.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

This is just loving embarrassing. Why would they let this happen. Please don't tell your awful sap stories during this. It just looks stupid.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Silento posted:

Care to post some qoutes? I'm running the stream in the background, so I don't have the chat up.

People are just getting banned left and right. I personally think they're asking for this kind of chat with what's going on in the stream.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

SNES, on SDA: Mega Man X, X2, Goof Troop (links on http://www.twitch.tv/cyghfer ), Super Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Link to the Past. Mario RPG (also see cyghfer link) is also good but very long.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Oh poo poo Magical Pop'n is about to go down. This is the best game.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

animatorZed posted:

This looks like kirby crossed with megaman, crossed with sonic. How have I never heard of this game?

It was a niche Japan only title. Rare, and expensive--easily over $100 for a cartridge only if you're not willing to hold out for a long time and wait for a cheap one to come around.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Looks like Siglemic (purposefully) broke the eeprom on his cart, making it not save--but he didn't know the lag you get from the game saving (7 frames per save) is skipped. That's a lot of time over a long run and it's pretty just a modded trick, so he's now selling his cart on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280891108319#ht_500wt_1057

I wonder how much it will go for.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Siglemic's broken N64 cart sold for $101.01. I honestly expected that to go higher.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280891108319#ht_500wt_1182

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/calebhart42 - Caleb's attempting to take the MMX world record back, and is streaming his attempts side-by-side with the WR video.

This was actually him racing the Japanese WR holder, mushipan ( https://www.twitch.tv/mushipan ), live on SRL. Great races last night. I know Caleb wants to get the record back, and I know he can do it, but he hasn't gotten through too many serious attempts.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

I think at this point, stuff like dying an hour and a half in warrants a reset. So does missing most major skips. A few failed attempts at a ledge clip before success is fine. Something like getting crushed by the door for password skip would be almost too lovely. Getting crushed for cabana skip would be acceptable because of how late along it is.

It's really a bit of a juggle between doing a run to do a run/practice and trying to get an optimized run with a ton of resets. I wouldn't want to restart two hours in unless I was really gunning for a great run.

Keep in mind Cosmo got his OoT MST run during a month of daily no-reset runs. If you're not aiming for a perfect time, making a mistake and knowing why you messed it up isn't a real reason to restart. There's something like 10 minutes of time to shave off of that run, right?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Previous record was 32:24 by a Japanese player, Kaku. Mushipan had a 32:34, which Caleb broke last night with a 32:27. Tiki hasn't gotten any low times but is very close.

This page that I started should be up to date if you'd like to keep up with it.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

sva is 1.5 hours into an MST run, currently 6 minutes ahead of his best (and 2 minutes ahead of the WR).

http://www.twitch.tv/sva16162

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I'm not a huge fan of the main page, but the streams page is good (except it needs stream titles). It shows members only on team SRL ( http://twitch.tv/team/srl ), rather than everyone who has set a stream on the site (which anyone can do). Members need to be active racers to be added to the team, but a lot of people haven't been added yet. That page, once all the kinks are out, should be perfect.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

MST - medallions, stones, trials; an Ocarina of Time speedrunning category that requires you to acquire/complete those.

RBA - Reverse Bottle Adventure, read up at zeldaspeedruns.com; basically a modified version of 'bottle adventure' that uses bottles to acquire items, removing the 'adventure' to find them.

WW - Wrong Warp, again check ZRL, using a end-of-dungeon warp but warping to the wrong area; allows you to move quickly between dungeons, skip cutscenes, and go from Deku Tree to the endgame in any%.

ZFG - zfg1, speedrunner

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

I don't understand these glitches at all, especially on the first island.

http://deanyd.net/smw/index.php?title=Orb
"The glitch abuses the fact that Chucks erroneously have the "Give Power-Up when eaten by Yoshi" bit set. Thus, when you eat a Chuck, you get something strange in your reserve box or a crash. When you eat a Clappin' Chuck as Fire Mario, it produces a goal sphere in reserve."

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I think going for gems in Mischief Makers wouldn't be a great idea--the run's already quite long, and some of the gems (no damage ones in particular) could lead to a lot of retries. Taking no damage on Phoenix Gamma is kind of hard.

Boost grabbing will make a lot of S-ranks a lot easier. A fair number of them are easy to get down (without boost grabbing, even) with consistent strategies. Even then, it's really easy to lose an S in a single-segment, and most bosses are complete luck.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Gimpy Joe posted:

It seems like Sig definitely isn't doing 12 hours a day anymore. Anyone know what is up with that? My guess is just that he got really depressed and sick of the game and went out to get a job.

What? He's been streaming every single day for (at least) several hours. Probably not 12. He doesn't work/have school etc.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I don't really see the problem here. Dude wants to cut over a minute from his run and he's perfectly capable of doing that where he is right now. At the level he's at, there's not really any reason to stop getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Liku posted:

I hope the game doesn't get to the point like on OoT where you glitch the game out and just appear at the end. That poo poo is so drat boring.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well that's why MST still exists, right?

This isn't really an issue right now, even with OoT. Just because someone can beat the game in 20 minutes doesn't mean you have to watch/care about that run, and most players feel the same way.

People still play any% in the form of no WW/RBA, no WW (wrong warp) etc; people don't play 0 star or 1 star much in SM64 for the same reason.

• Locked thread