Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I would love to see Bastion speedrun.

The kid takes damage to save time. But what about the damage to his mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

"What does this skip? It skips, uh, the game."

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Honestly I bet they'd just be happy people are still finding new things in their game after all this time.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Cosmo just got 5:45:54.53 in Wind Waker, and thinks he could easily get 5:40.

gently caress you Shadow Ninja 64 and your tool-assisted posting.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

HKR posted:

100% in speed runs doesn't include cutscenes usually.

FFX-2 has an in-game percentage counter that does include cutscenes, and you need 100% to get the best ending. It also includes something really non-obvious that's missable at the very start of the game.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uow6fWb8AA8

I made a thing (Gain Ground clear through round 1). The last video to attempt this took 3:41, I've got it down to 2:27. :toot:

I've never played or even heard of Gain Ground before you started posting about it, but it looks really neat!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

So when a TASer wants to do some luck manipulation, do they usually just play around with idle frames until the RNG gets in the state they want, or do some games actually use RNGs that are simple enough to allow analysis?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I understand that. I'm the one who donated for Bob Ross during his OoT MST runs and Bill Nye during these Wind Waker runs, after all. I just think it's an unfortunate filename to finally crack an admittedly arbitrary important milestone like sub-5:30 with.

Are you kidding me, people are going to get so mad. It's hilarious.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Violen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzZ2bYDPq0

No more nights spent in cold sweat with images of fiery boulders and timers for Cosmo.

What the hell is going on?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

At this stage only Cosmo and Zfg are the only popular, and nice streamers I've come across that have yet to be: incredibly homophobic, libertarian maniacs, racists, or just unpleasantly rude.

:edit: everyone go to zfg's stream now http://www.twitch.tv/zfg1

I really hope Cosmo isn't secretly a PUA.

... come to think of it, PUA is basically speedrunning dating.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Here have a new Honey% OoT WR from Moltov:

http://www.twitch.tv/moltov/b/335740397

You know, I'm not sure what I expected Honey% to be, but that wasn't it.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

This music is going to loving haunt me.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I stepped away from stream for a moment, why were you so upset when you restarted?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Holy Diver :allears:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

poo poo, I didn't know it was possible to one-cycle Bogmire like that.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Azruelli posted:

During Sig's Sandython 120 star, particularly the 8 red coins/TTM 100, he got a softlock by grabbing a star and hitting an air-lift at the same time. The resulting bug trapped him in the state between grabbing the star and landing. Unfortunate, but pretty funny.

Please tell me there's video of this somewhere.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It's only a matter of time til someone donates $10,000 for the entire John Galt speech.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Clearly someone needs to write a computer vision program that watches the stream and detects when people exit.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Obscure Risk posted:

Oh my god, the Bowser in the Sky showdown. :lol:

Jiano plays it safe and then gets outdone by a triple throw combo. Magnificent.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

That's basically how computers boot. The BIOS is only smart enough to read a small amount of data off the disk in a fixed location, which in turn is only smart enough to read the actual kernel off of disk and start that, which then does the rest of the boot sequence.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Color Printer posted:

That...makes sense. Once again video games continue to teach me more about programming and computer science than my ongoing college education. (I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a frightening thing)

Does your college offer an OS course? If so, that's where they'll teach you this stuff since it's not really relevant outside of writing an OS.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I have no clue what the source on this is, a link would be appreciated.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 20, 2012

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Someone needs to wear a Zelda outfit during the next marathon.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

There was one guy (don't remember who right now, after a week it's sort of just all melted together) who had a Link outfit.

I know, which is why I want someone with a Zelda outfit. :v:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

What would the goal even be?

When you get to The End there's a dragon mob. Killing it spawns a trigger for a 'cutscene' that's basically a really long poem, so you could use 'triggering the cutscene' as a goal.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

How do OoT any% live runs get the timing right on wrong warp if it requires frame perfection?

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 14, 2013

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Oh, that makes sense. Why exactly does it require frame perfection anyway?

... actually, I think there's a video somewhere of Cosmo doing a really good explanation of it. Does anybody have a link?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Nahxela posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw
He uploaded his run to his Youtube channel. He had some good commentary, is this the explanation you were looking for?

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Assuming they measure time the same way.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

How do you even donate with a fake name? Doesn't Paypal require that your name be your legal name?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Comedy option Nethack.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

:crossarms:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

God, that is incredibly disorienting just to watch.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Today I learned what a catechumen is.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

iastudent posted:

Miso is practicing an all-whip run for the next Japanese Dark Souls marathon.

For anyone curious, here's the rules for it. There's also talk of getting more people from outside Japan to participate in this one, probably from SRL or whoever.

E: Miso trying to whip Ornstein & Smough into shape is the funniest poo poo.

Truly, this is a Dark Souls marathon.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

take_it_slow posted:

Check your browser settings. There is no commentary, but there is sound.

It's pretty quiet, though.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

He is so bad at this game, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Did he ever manage to get out of the helicopter?

• Locked thread