Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Kikka posted:

Wait how is he gonna break the world record if he's already at 5 hours? Or am I just dumb?

The bottom timer is how long he's been streaming in total. The top timer & splits are the current run, but right now he's taking a break with a No Damage attempt so he's not timing it.

edit: and just as I post he takes damage sorry for jinxing it cosmo

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

justin/twitch.tv pro tip: the middle button in the lower right of the video stream will pop out the player into its own window so you can close the chat and never have to see jtv retards and their incomprehensible emoticons.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'd like to see a post patch run of Dark Souls, but it's entirely possible to clear cache on your console, take it offline and play the older on disk version instead. I know the official general rule on SDA is to use whatever version produces the fastest time.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

HarkToTheLoons posted:

My brother's submitting his Mario 64 run to Twin Galaxies at some point. 70-star minimal run. Non-TAS, so it's pretty long. Worth a look, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8zXBDw1hkY

Has your brother been paying attention to what's happened to SM64 records in the last year? Even allowing for whatever a "non-glitch" run is, compare his execution to nero's.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I'm not even talking about TG's rules, if you want to give yourself restrictions thats cool. But watch this compared to this.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Watch Cosmo's stream, he's going to do a restream/commentary thing like he did for the Halloween puzzle race.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Could you track down the PC port of ToTD instead? Ideally to be played with some loud rear end mechanical keyboard.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

qntm posted:

I haven't watched this all the way through, or played SS2 myself, but why is everything at an angle? Is this a glitch/speed strategy, or is there something wrong with the gravity for some in-game story reason?

EDIT: It's obviously the invincibility glitch that was mentioned, nobody would make a game like this all the way through.

When you die the camera falls to the ground sideways like that. From watching the video the glitch seems to be that he gets an enemy to kill him as he jumps into the hole down into Engineering, causing him to die and level transition at the same time. He spawns in the next area with one HP, invincibility and the camera stuck in the "you are dead" position.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Twitch has been screwy today, they broke chat embedding and it's been giving people that "blocked" error randomly.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I keep meaning to make an IRC filter to just remove any line with a twitch face; I bet that alone would render big chats more readable.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

IIRC from running around testing uncompiled Quake maps when you go OOB you just start falling, which would limit its utility if it's even possible.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Seconded, I'd love if there's a write up of the Evermore glitches. Overflowing stats by resetting the game I've know about for a long time but I'm curious where things have gone.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Was that the same run that Cosmo told anybody who was watching just because they wanted to see a new WR to get out? loving LOL if so.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I think if PJ & co played Armageddon on a RubberWorm scheme they might erase WormNet from the Internet so it's probably for the best they stick to Reloaded.

Armageddon will always be the most customizable version of Worms since it's continually upgraded via WormKit, but it's all bolt-on to the ancient UI.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

I'm not that excited to see something like Star Craft 2's campaign on but if they can figure out and get four player Borderlands 2 - that'll be it for me, the thing I want to see the most.

Unless it's really a superspeed glitch that may or may not get patched out by the time AGDQ begins that has 90% gameitme spent by one player being miles ahead of the other three while the rest try to catch up (or is it a hilarious thing to view? Could they get the capture board solution for it?)

BL2 runs are done on patch 1.3.1 as most of the glitches that make it possible have been patched out. And while they do use the Axton super speed glitch, the huge amount of health enemies have in four player means his role is mostly to hit triggers early. Everybody has a role in the run, including splitting up to hit multiple triggers as fast as possible.

Professor Broman, TeaWrex, SuperGoos, and iMisty have been doing runs with a MultiTwitch setup every weekday recently that are a ton of fun to watch.

This FAQ runs down the glitches used: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rcz93j1002l658/Borderlands2-faq.pdf

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 7, 2013

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Do you have a link for one of your perspectives? Also, you should post next time you do the multi twitch thing because that sounds awesome as hell. I had no idea BL2 was even being run ever and I love the game so this has me very interested.

Here's the new sub 2:30 record they just got this week: http://www.twitch.tv/professorbroman/c/2873830

If the BL2 runs are happening they start around 9 AM EST. Broman also does single player runs. Follow his stream/check bombch.us/Jop for the MultiTwitch stream.

If you're interested in getting into running it, Broman is organizing Four Player Fridays where he takes three stream viewers through the game. Scroll down on that video link I posted and you can find the patch and videos about the route.

edit: also I am not one of these runners, since you seemed to get that impression from my last post.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Chicagothon just had a last minute schedule addition. Now the marathon is opening with the most American game ever made (by a Japanese company): METAL WOLF CHAOS

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

Is that not something that could prove useful if easily replicable?

If there was a way to OOB past the locked door before the Fight House, that would skip a long, annoying mission. Unfortunately that requires figuring out how to do it intentionally, and nobody but Murph plays this game. So good luck to him.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Heresiarch posted:

I remember the death skip involving the shield knockback method, but how does this one work?

It's a variation on the "shift line" glitch normally done with the Heart Refresh, only in this case it's done by backdashing during the level up animation. If the room you walk into after doing the trick doesn't scroll, you load in on the wrong side of the screen and immediately transition to the next room after that, in this case skipping Death's room before he appears.

You can also do this to loading rooms to carry the current tileset into the wrong area and create some incredibly garbled graphics.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

... they really do need to enforce across the board.

Not being able to enforce their own rules across the board, particularly re: sub icons, is what lead to people being upset with Horror to begin with.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Rename SRL Leaderboards to SRL Database and make an API & Twitch widget that displays the subset of runs that streamer wants to compete against. Each stream will show only the records that runner thinks are valid.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

wa27 posted:

Or they did it because people wouldn't stop complaining about how choppy twitch streams are for them. That's probably the reasoning behind giving non-partners video quality options too. That seems much more likely than Microsoft not knowing how to make a twitch app.

A few days before the rollout of the new system staff member Encryptio was in Cirno's stream chat explaining routing and how Twitch's focus on low latency meant they couldn't use the same techniques Netflix or YouTube use to maintain quality, but that they were working on something to improve Twitch for people with connection issues.

Then after the system goes live he shows up and complains that he can't go anywhere without people bitching about buffering. :saddowns:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Pie appears to be using a gamepad and not using the lock-on feature, which is a handicap that would make the game harder for anybody, and he's bad at blind games to start.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Turning off the sound in Wiz 6 to speed up animations is something everyone does, speedrun or not. That poo poo is awful.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a video? I've never seen BC speedrun before and I think PJ is cool.

http://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare/c/3750280

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If nothing else, watch how to do BoC with Black Firebombs so you don't have to deal with it. Even playing casually it's good to know.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Link to the Past Any% No OOB just got wrecked by a new glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epOSfEVBAAI

You can now skip fighting Lamolas and Moldorm, getting the master sword, and Aghanim's tower. That removes the worst boss RNG from the run and brings it down to under 1:20.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

And now there's apparently a way to skip Furnace Fun in Banjo-Kazooie. A bad day for RNG, good day for speedruns.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Half-Life runs skip the tram entirely by starting the game on map c1a0. That tram video is just for fun since it's a segmented run.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

For fans of human misery, here's the Lifeline speed run:

You poor bastard. I think the lever segment was my favorite moment.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Heran Bago posted:

You need to record all of the successful lines on a tape recorder. Or you can record it all in an audio editor and play it back to record in a tape recorder. A literal tool-assisted speedrun would be possible. :v:

I'd love to see someone pull a Family Feud/Brain Age on a voice recognition game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Coolkid and quadrazid are explaining HL21 on stream right now: http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Alteisen posted:

I really thought Spike would finish the game and not pie. :psyduck:

Spike peaced out so he could be awake when they blind race Super Metroid tonight. :v:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Alteisen posted:

Could someone tell me what is up with this legacy of wizard game? :psyduck:

Every single area looks like an entirely new zone and there's doors scattered everywhere, there seems to be no direction either.

How is anyone meant to figure this poo poo out.

Each of the family members has access to a specific set of tools, and each of the McGuffins is in an area that strongly encourages the use of that person's tools. The music changes hint you're in a new zone as well. The map is huge, but there's at least some sense to it.

The only straight up bullshit part IMO is having to fall through an unmarked block in an unremarkable corner to reach the bottom area of the map.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

pixaal posted:

I don't know too much about this Ultima but I do know stuff scales with your level and its possible to level to a point that you cannot win. There is a reason speed runs are normally under an hour.

The NES speedrun being under an hour has more to do with glitches in the port than the design of the game. For instance, you can prevent enemies from moving by holding the D-pad while exiting the menu, or regen mana in dungeons by spinning around. The enemies directly before Exodus hit like a truck and are invisible but can be perfectly manipulated, and and you can make sure your magic doesn't fizzle by casting on the right frame of animation. The TAS also causes a boat to spawn behind the serpent, skipping having to sail there normally with the Mark of the Serpent.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Dr. Dos posted:

Before I forget about it forever, after the Pokemon TCG race the other night, the winner began playing some neat Game Boy game where you maneuvered some weird object on a grid of hexagons that had one point fixed, and one point spinning around it, then when you stopped it the previous fixed point began spinning around the new one and it looked like a lot of fun. Does anybody know what it's called?

It's called Lucle.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

FillInTheBlank posted:

Where can I get my nicely aggregated speedrun streams not that pksage.com seems to be broke or just sold out to some random WoW streamer with 2 viewers.

http://speedrun.tv/games

Hover over the white icon above the game list to change what it shows

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

There's discussion of the glitch in the main Zelda thread. As I understand it, filling the screen with actors then trying to create the flute tornado alters the ghost's AI state, which causes it to execute code based on the music, then based on XY positions of Link and an enemy, then based on the current RNG. The run sets it up so this creates a bunch of items including one that quickly warps between screens, and another that executes code based on the X positions of actors. He gets to the last dungeon so the credits are loaded, then sets up Link and a Petra in a way that the ACE item calls the credits.

quote:

Masterjun wrote:

quote:

sockfolder wrote:
I've been looking at this a little bit. Basically, what happens is:
You blow the whistle which wants to create actor $5E. There are no blank spots and the index underflows and starts trying to write it into the state for the ghosts. The ghost is in state 0 during the acceleration period after being stopped. Blowing the whistle at this time makes the ghost state $5E, which causes the ghost AI to jump to $0602.

From $0602, it executes some instructions based on the note in the music (I think), and tends to hit a JMP $0000 instruction (after some side effects).

At $0000, there are a bunch of mostly fixed values (i.e. fixed instructions). It executes a couple of instructions based on Link's X, Y. Then it moves into a chaotic section that I don't know how to manipulate yet and in the movie, jumps to $EC6E and from there, back into the normal game play without any side effects other than the game being totally screwed up.
I can confirm that. To be more specific, Link's X position is the address of an ASL instruction, and the Y position is a new instruction (might be useful).

The "chaotic section" that you are talking about is probably the area from $0018 to $0024 which looks like RNG. The bits for the 13 bytes are just shifted to the right and the leftmost bit (MSB of $0018) is determined by XORing bit 6 of the first byte and bit 6 of the second byte together (which is done before the shifting):

Executing music data seems like it would be really unlikely to always execute the JMP $0000, but it actually isn't that unlikely, because there is always a 4C 00 00 (JMP $0000). The code just has to survive to there, which isn't too unlikely. The fact that a code that makes the game continue was executed IN THE RNG (or whatever those crazy addresses are) is really unlikely... (well, due to the shifting of the crazy addresses, the JMP $EC6E does indeed pop up at 11 different times, but still, actually getting those values in the first place is unlikely...)

Edit: Oh and of course... the JMP $EC6E which is 4C 6E EC in bytes isn't actually 4C 6E EC to begin with. It is actually 4C 6E F6, but the UNDEFINED instruction (1F) at $0614 actually shifts $0021 one bit to the left, which happens to be the F6 which is shifted to EC... wow.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

As a followup to that Zelda 1.0 ACE TAS, Sockfolder figured out a way to do it in real time by using the filenames to write instructions. These names make the game end when you enter dungeon 9 after glitching the ghost AI:

He hasn't made a video of that one, but there's a vod of an earlier version of the code: http://www.twitch.tv/sockfolder/c/6732366

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Unless you're used to dealing with it you get tons of erroneous up and down inputs on the Wii D-pads. Playing SM on them is a special kind of hell.

• Locked thread