Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
So the final tally for those who weren't watching was just over $21k when you factor in the cash box we had on site. Quite a nice sum.

However, neither of the DVRs recorded a single frame of gameplay. 60 hours of black on both of them. That's what I get for not checking the cables myself. We still have the xsplit recordings, so we can trim and upload those, but goddammit. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Edoraz posted:

It's not the first time. :ssh:

It is for us. JRDQ doesn't count since that was being done by 20 different people from their homes.

AGDQ we didn't use the DVR footage unless we had to just so we wouldn't have to burn 100 discs.

Definitely double checking everything next time.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Videos are going up. I'll be hiking this weekend so I won't be able to work on these, but hopefully I can get at least a few more done before I leave.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/
http://www.archive.org/details/SummerGamesDoneQuick

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 11, 2011

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
So I have all but 4 of the videos encoded but archive isn't letting me upload them. An email has been fired off so hopefully it'll get fixed and I can upload them when I go to campus on Saturday to get my books (much faster upload there), but we'll see.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Got the upload thing worked out so more videos are becoming available:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/

All that's not done encoding yet is Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear, and Kingdom Hearts 2. Everything else that's missing is currently uploading.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Watching the StarTropics video and there's some pretty bad desync about 45 minutes in. I noticed it in the Blaster Master vid too, right near the end. Don't know if anything can be done about it now, but I figured I should let y'all know somehow anyway.

I think I fixed Blaster Master (I'll have to reencode and reupload it of course), but the problem with Startropics is that I had to source it from Justin which seems to have some pretty annoying jump desyncs in it, not sure I can get it any better than it is without a lot more work than I can put into it, unless you can point out the precise timestamps where it looks like the video jumps and the sync changes.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Months behind, but some of the JRDQ videos are finally up:

http://www.archive.org/details/JapanReliefDoneQuick

Also, all of the runs from SGDQ are available. Pretty sure they're all synced but a few haven't been double checked yet.

http://www.archive.org/details/SummerGamesDoneQuick

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Here have a torrent

And some compilation reels:

Highlights -- Youtube
Bloopers -- Youtube

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Not enough time to make it a good run, basically. Mike overextending himself again.

NG3 has me legitimately concerned, but I have three months to iron it out.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Exo managed to shave 46 seconds off that Super Meat Boy run.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Former Human posted:

Did SDA remove the page that listed the size of the backlog? I guess they got tired of all the complaints.

I think the main issue was that "Ready for update" was really misleading and just meant that the videos themselves were encoded, but hadn't been checked, pages hadn't been made, screenshots hadn't been taken, etc, so there really was quite a bit of work left before stuff was ready to go up. That and it was a pain in the rear end to keep up to date and didn't really help anything.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

furry drum circle posted:

Wow that's a huge update, awesome. I'm really glad SDA is putting out these updates more often. I was really excited to watch Banjo Kazooie but it's just a black screen with audio for me :( apparently everyone's having this problem and it'll get fixed soon.

The BK run is a prime example of why it's better to either use anri or just let nate do the encodes. The runner sent in his own encode and suffice it to say he did it completely wrong.

It should play if you download it (in theory), but the flash player won't play it because it's the wrong codec. As far as I know there's no way to fix it, either.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 16, 2011

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

HoldYourFire posted:

Does anyone know off-hand how much the bidding war for Cloud's date (Final Fantasy VII, natch) raised in the Summer Games Done Quick marathon?

:confused: We didn't play FF7 at SGDQ. It's at the next AGDQ.

Also: http://donations.uranium-anchor.com/tracker/

None of the bid data is entered for anything other than SGDQ, but you can read comments.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
AGDQ2 page is live:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/

Yes, the banner will be replaced. Soon.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Does anyone know how speed runs work for the Wii?

I'm just wondering if using a usb back-up for the game is legal or separate category? The time saved on load times would provide a major difference compared to disc runs.

It's not allowed to use the HD Loader on PS2, which sounds pretty similar to what you're describing here, so I doubt it would be allowed either. It's a question of official support. If there's no way to do it without modding the system, then the answer is generally 'no'.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 22, 2011

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
(something for the banner to link to)

January 4–9, 2012
100+ Games

Speed Demos Archive, the home to video game speed runs, is proud to present a special speed running marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick, a 6-day online event played to raise money for cancer prevention and streamed live for you to watch!

All donations made during the marathon will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, our partner for this event.

Prevent Cancer Foundation is a nonprofit effort dedicated to preventing cancer through research, education, and outreach. 100% of your donations go toward supporting Prevent Cancer Foundation in its mission.

The stream will start on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2012 at 3 PM EST (GMT-5). You can watch the stream on SDA's homepage.

Special Events

During the marathon, we'll be holding several special events to keep things exciting:
  • Prizes – Donate for a chance to win great prizes such as hand-knitted plushes, perlers, artwork, games, and other great stuff like a Sonic comic collection and Super Meat Boy-themed meat tenderizer!
  • Donation Bids for Runs – As with every SDA marathon, you can donate for file names of your choice and certain challenges in runs. However, there are also different games and types of runs at stake! The donation battles include any% or 100% for Mega Man X, Mega Man or Bass in Mega Man 10, Alucard or Richter for an all bosses run of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, a run of Pokemon Red or Blue, and a run of LoZ: Link's Awakening or LoZ: Oracle of Seasons, among many others. Donate to pick your favorites!
  • Races – If the excitement of seeing games demolished by speed runners simply isn't enough, then make sure to watch the intense matchups between different runners as they compete to see who can complete a game faster. This marathon will include races for Sonic Adventure 2, Mega Man X, Mirror's Edge, the Legend of Zelda, and other great games!
  • Co-op Runs – Watch as runners team up to finish games in even faster and more ridiculous ways than usual. The co-op runs in this marathon include Portal 2, TMNT4: Turtles in Time, Contra 3, Double Dragon 2, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Magicka, and the Lawnmower Man.

Games to look out for
  • Quake
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Earthbound
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Portal 2 (co-op)
  • Halo Reach
  • Demon's Souls
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Sonic 1, 2, S3&K & Sonic Adventure 2
  • Mega Man 2, 3, & 10
  • Mega Man X, X2, & X6
  • Super Mario Bros & SMB3
  • SMW or Lost Levels
  • Super Mario 64 & Super Mario Galaxy
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • LoZ: Oracle of Seasons or Link's Awakening
  • Super Meat Boy (donate for all levels)
  • Half-Life
  • Mirror's Edge (race)
  • Castlevania 1, 3, 4, AoS & SotN
  • Bayonetta & Vanquish
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Contra, Super C, & Contra 3
  • Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, KSSU
...and many more!

Promo Video

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 16, 2011

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
AGDQ 2012 Promo Video Spread it around...

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Between everything else that's been going on, not nearly as well as I would have liked. It'll be passable, but 0:3x is completely out of the realm of possibility at this point.

I think I took on too many hard games this year and I'm going to have to scale it back next time. (SM is hard when you're trying to do it fast, yes.)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

fleshweasel posted:

I think it amounts to who's willing to make a video for a specific thing will be accepted if its interesting.

This is very true of SDA (both the main site and the marathons), as well.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ToxicFrog posted:

Are there any good sites out there for speedruns of DOS games? SDA's selection is really small, probably because their rules about emulation (official emulators only) interact badly with DOS games (the only official DOS emulator out there can't actually run most programs).

I ask partly because I'm half-seriously planning a System Shock speedrun, but mainly because I was wondering if there were any speedruns of classic Apogee platformers out there.

The rules are sort of in flux right now when it comes to DOSBox, right now the consensus seems to be "if there's an official release that uses dosbox and you can film yourself playing in addition to the game footage", but the second part might not stick. Nothing's official yet, of course.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
There are a couple of runs from the recent marathon available, and I have a few more queued up for encoding:

http://www.archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2012

I'll be spending the next few days moving, so don't expect anything new from Friday evening until Monday evening, at a minimum.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Just to keep people apprised of what's going on, the runs that aren't up yet on the schedule were having issues with the video files. When we initially copied the discs, somehow not everything got copied properly so I had to wait for Trihex to get me proper copies. Nothing's permanently lost.

Except for Mirror's Edge, that one's been held up because the xsplit recording was in three pieces and syncing it up with the DVD footage was a huge pain in the rear end.

The compilation reels will come later, whenever I'm done with the main marathon videos.

And just as a reminder, higher quality copies are available here:

http://www.archive.org/details/AwesomeGamesDoneQuick2012

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 19, 2012

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ChibiSoma posted:

There any update on the still-missing runs from AGDQ'12?

Short answer: Trihex's DVR hates us. Three burns now it's given us hosed up copies of the footage that we know is there. It either cuts out early or starts loving up like it was a scratched disc.

I'm tempted to just have Trihex ship his DVR to me so I can try to figure it out.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Glass Eater posted:

"Temporary" Super Meat Boy and Ocarina of Time encodes are available for download now so watch them.

Yeah, each of these are missing about 15 minutes of high quality footage (OOT in the middle, SMB at the end), but I fell back on the xsplit stuff for the missing bits, so the runs are watchable in their entirety. When I manage to get a good copy from Trihex (probably going to have to spend some quality time with him on Skype) I'll upload new copies.

I should have just done this to start with, but I didn't realize the DVR was going to give us so much grief.

On the plus side, I can go ahead and get started on the compilation reels too...

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
This comes up like every two weeks and it's the same story: When the redesign finishes, the lag time will be a lot shorter. Like, two or three weeks if the game gets verified quickly.

Trust me, we're painfully aware of how annoying it is.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

fleshweasel posted:

Have you guys started keeping video at its actual resolution? The diablo 2 run for instance is devastatingly ugly. The dude put all his WIPs on YouTube and you can see it so much better.

Are you watching the high quality versions or the embedded flash versions? The high quality stuff should be at the native resolution, but the flash version is "medium quality", which is almost always scaled down. If it's not that, then I have no idea, because I remember watching the D2 runs and thinking they looked fine.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

fleshweasel posted:

That must be it. I always go for the embedded flash because streaming is the way to go these days. I don't want to have to download an hour of video before I can begin watching any of it and I don't need to store any of this stuff on my hard drive. I can try streaming the hq mp4 in safari I guess.

You might try streaming it from the archive.org page too, you can usually pick which specific file to play.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Install Gentoo posted:

That reminds me, are old runs archived anywhere for the site in a way that could be reencoded at higher quality or are the existing encodes all that are left? Like I know the preferred recording format used to be recordable DVDs and sometimes VHS and all, which should be reencodable to higher quality h.264 files but are often represented on the site with kinda crappy old XVID encodes.

In theory, yes. In practice, nate doesn't make any special effort to archive that stuff (that's a lot of raw footage) and reencoding it is non-trivial.

If the runner wanted to reencode and send in a better copy, I suppose that might be possible, but I don't think it's ever been done, especially on anything old enough that it would actually matter. Generally quality gets improved by people sending in new runs!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ToxicFrog posted:

Last I heard the decision was "dosbox is allowed, but only if it's an official release packaged with dosbox, and the runner has to submit footage of themselves playing it so we know they haven't replaced the one it was packaged with with a rerecording version", but that was a while ago and they may have come up with something slightly less insane since then.

Last I checked it's been relaxed to "must be an official rerelease". So a fair bit easier.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
FF6 is going to be an all characters/espers run this time, and it's been two and a half years since it's been done anyway. FF4 isn't even on the schedule so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. :confused:

Also over half the runs on the schedule have never been done at a marathon before so there's plenty of new blood.

That said, I want to see Typing of the Dead.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
oh no I'm a cheater

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Not everybody can make it out to both events for one reason or another, unfortunately.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Got this while practicing for SGDQ. I might have to start recording submission attempts soon.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
As amusing and hosed up as I found the fight with his mother to be, I really don't think trying to make a big deal out of it during the charity event is good timing.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't go on at least one rant during the marathon, though.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Well we're going to be keeping the language under control just because of where it'll be again.

And yeah, it's more like Spring Games this time. I'm not sure when we'll shoot for next year, I think it was decided May made more sense this time but I forget why.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
As far as I know, yeah. I haven't really heard much about that because it's not an "official" SDA event, even though we have several European SDAers in attendance.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
While practicing for SGDQ I got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4975LBuNiqY

And it still had a bunch of dumb mistakes in it. Every time I think I have a good goal I need to lower it like a week later. :stare:

SGDQ in three days! Get hype!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
No, there's definitely incentives for filenames. There's a couple things that need to be fixed last minute before it's accurate. I know some people are working on that.

Edit: Also, my donation tracker has the new event added:

http://donations.uranium-anchor.com/tracker/

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 22, 2012

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Thanks to everybody for watching and donating. My brain is too fried to do anything else right now. I'm going to just sit here and eat this delicious food.

Bonus streaming some time tomorrow, but no solid plans yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
It'll be in the twitch/xsplit recordings afterwards, but I don't plan on splitting them up like the main marathon videos. Unless we have another moment like Q64 during the bonus stream at AGDQ.

• Locked thread