Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ubern00b posted:

Yay, a Flemish Netherlands! You should change the provincename Holland to 'Olland.

I'm a bit more concerned with their religious policy. Their state religion seems to be Protestantism despite the fact that only Vlaanderen and Friesland are Protestant. I know Vlaanderen is the capital, but seriously, the next few decades are going to hurt unless they get lucky and manage to convert the other provinces quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phlegmish posted:

I'm a bit more concerned with their religious policy. Their state religion seems to be Protestantism despite the fact that only Vlaanderen and Friesland are Protestant. I know Vlaanderen is the capital, but seriously, the next few decades are going to hurt unless they get lucky and manage to convert the other provinces quickly.

They have Ecumenism. :eng101:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 16: Birth of Nations (1530 - 1540)

As if spurred into action by Azerbaijan's expansion, Persia invades the Abbasids and subjugates them, then shortly thereafter subjugates the Emir of Basra as well, gaining a pair of vassal states on the Syrian border.

In Europe, England annexes Wales and proclaims the birth of Great Britain...

... while Burgundy has annexed Valois and beat Anjou into submission.

Back in the east, Muscowy goes to war with Yaroslavl, calling on Azerbaijan's aid.

Seeing an opportunity to give the troops some exercise, Ertan sends an army to aid his Russian allies.

The Azeri army fights and wins a number of battles against Crimean, Batavian and Estonian armies.

The war lasts no more than a year and ends with the total annexation of Yaroslavl. With the last rival Princes defeated, the Muscovite ruler proclaims himself Tsar of all of Russia

Back in Azerbaijan, Ertan continues the reforms of the Azeri army into an offensive force with a focus on mobility and cavalry shocks.

He also enacts several domestic reforms, strengthening the rights of the peasants.

Both these reforms upset the increasingly powerful aristocracy, but Ertan placates them by parcelling out more Georgian land to the high noble houses.

As 1540 arrives, Ertan summons the Shura to Tabriz to once again discuss the future direction of Azerbajian.

He has outlined three possible ways in which to develop the state, all of which are based on previous proposals that did not gain the support of the Shura at the time.

Asides from matters of national policy, there is also the question of what shape Azerbaijan's government should take. Though many in the aristocracy favor keeping the current pseudo-feudal form of government, there are also voices raised for the idea of creating an adminstrative state run by aristocratic bureaucrats, as many Western states have done.

Vote for one idea and one choice of government. Vote lasts 24 hours as always.

We currently have 7 inflation, gaining 0.05 a year.

:siren: :siren:
Don't forget the Shura icon when voting!
code:
[img]http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/images/azeri_lp/azericon.png[/img]
Government
Option A: Administrative Monarchy (eventually leading to a Constitutional Monarchy)
Option B: Despotic Monarchy (eventually leading to a Absolute Monarchy, we might become a Feudal Monarchy at some point before then)

Ideas
Option A: Ecumenism
Option B: National Bank
Option C: Engineer Corps

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 7, 2011

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Government: A (Administrative Monarchy)
Idea: C (Engineer Corps)

Why? Simple. The former is the way of the future - the king cannot control his realms alone. He is already dependent on an army of tax collectors, magistrates, and so on to enforce his whims, and advisors to inform his decisions - why should some of the responsibility not devolve onto themselves as well?

As for the Engineer Corps, we need a country that is strong in both war and peace. While a National Bank would be useful in reducing interest, we have the problem of neighbours who have grudges against us from our recent conflicts - we want to be ready to defend against such incursion, to ensure peace before we can build. Further, this decision would strengthen us by letting us use our engineers in peacetime for development, reducing our build costs.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 6, 2011

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A, Administrative Monarchy!
Because prime ministers are so much more interesting than kings.

C, Engineer Corps!
We can't hope to fight an offensive war against Russia, when the time comes.

edit: Wiz, what's our inflation situation look like?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 6, 2011

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Hey, you know what would be cool? If people, in addition to their normal posting in the thread, would also vote Here. It takes like 5 seconds and no registration required. It's a fun experiment, I promise!

Government
Option A: Administrative Monarchy: 30 (Sniper4625, Canuck-Errant, Pakled, John Charity Spring, Icecream Jones, KnoxZone, Zore, nimby, the JJ, uPen, skipThings, BrainMeats, Natty Ninefingers, Galaga Galaxian, Zikan, BlackJosh, Cernunnos, Sandono, Snipee, Koesj, Erwin the German, Vander, gemuse, lonelywurm, Epicurius, Servant, Patter Song, Mr. Pumroy, General Antares, theblastizard)
Option B: Despotic Monarchy

Ideas
Option A: Ecumenism: 10 (John Charity Spring, Icecream Jones, the JJ, Zikan, Cernunnos, Sandono, Vander, gemuse, Servant, theblastizard)
Option B: National Bank: 12 (Sniper4625, KnoxZone, Zore, uPen, BrainMeats, NattyNinefingers, Galaga Galaxian, Snipee, Erwin the German, lonelywurm, Epicurius, Mr. Pumroy)
Option C: Engineer Corps: 8 (Canuck-Errant, Pakled, nimby, skipThings, BlackJosh, Koesj, Patter Song, General Antares)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 6, 2011

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Idea: A (Ecumenism)

Azerbaijan must continue its strident advance into the modern age. We shall be a beacon of civilization admired by all nations and peoples of this world.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

A, administrative Kingdom and A, ecumenism.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Administration and Bureaucracy are the keys to civilization. A: Administrative Monarchy and B: National Bank!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Government: A: Administrative Monarchy
Idea: B: National Banks

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Government:
Option A: The administration must expand to meet the needs of the administration.

Ideas
Option C: In order to house all the administrators, we must build grand administration buildings that will require skilled engineers to keep out the people tormented by the bureaucratic administration.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Double A for Awesome.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

edit: Wiz, what's our inflation situation look like?

We currently have 7 inflation, gaining 0.05 a year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

A: Administrative Monarchy
B: National Banks

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Let's be an Administrative Monarchy with an Engineer Corps

being tolerant is only good and nice as long as we can defend ourselves from those less well adjusted people outside of our , now very pretty, borders

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Gov:

National Ideas:
B: National Bank

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Noooooo! WALES! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was hoping they'd last to vicky

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sniper4625 posted:

Hey, you know what would be cool? If people, in addition to their normal posting in the thread, would also vote Here. It takes like 5 seconds and no registration required. It's a fun experiment, I promise!

You fool! This would give a chance for the unwashed, unregistered masses to vote! Only those of Noble Goon-Blood deserve any say in the running of our glorious nation. Rulership by minds unaccustomed to Goonhood is impossible. :colbert:

Gov: A
Idea: B

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Idea: A (Ecumenism)

We're gonna tolerate and liberalize the poo poo out of everyone

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

A, Administrative Monarchy
C, Engineer Corps

I just really hope Ecumenism doesn't win. We don't really need it unless we intended to be warmongers to the east. Expansion against Armenia and the Greeks seems like the best path (hopefully in the years, perhaps centuries, to come, seizing Constantinople). But even without expansion, we're sitting okay and I wouldn't mind if we kept our state the way it is, landwise.

Also everyone going on and on about being super tolerant is starting to get annoying. It's pretty much the exact same thing that's happened in all Paradox LPs where people get obsessed about being super-liberal and progressive and beacons of freedom for the world, then the country gets its poo poo kicked in by its enemies, and the militarists take over and the fascists win in the end. Let's be a little more careful about this stuff, okay?

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 6, 2011

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

A: Ecumenism

We shall be the most tolerant bureaucracy the world has ever seen.

Sandono
Apr 9, 2009

A Administrative Monarchy
A Ecumenism

We will be a shining light of toleration in a sea of perfectly alright people!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Is 7 inflation that bad? I never played Paradox games before. But screw it, I'm voting this way regardless because I'm bored of tolerance and defensive warfare.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snipee posted:

Is 7 inflation that bad? I never played Paradox games before. But screw it, I'm voting this way regardless because I'm bored of tolerance and defensive warfare.

7 inflation is pretty easily manageable.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

BlackJosh posted:

A, Administrative Monarchy
C, Engineer Corps

Survey Says posted:

1. Name
BlackJosh
2. Government Type?
Option B: Despotic Monarchy (and later Absolute Monarchy)

The System Fails. :( I wondered where the one B vote came from.

Edit: You can now change your votes on the survey, just in case you made a mistake!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

C: Engineer Corps

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

A. Administrative Monarchy.

B. National Bank.

Who's that down in Madagascar? And, it's looking like Canada is gonna end up Scandinavian yet again.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Progress and Tolerance! A, A! Occupy Bazaar Street!

gemuse
Oct 13, 2005

Government: A - Administrative Monarchy
Idea: A - Ecumenism

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Government:
Option A, administrative monarchy.

Idea:
Option B, national bank.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

The System Fails. :( I wondered where the one B vote came from.

Edit: You can now change your votes on the survey, just in case you made a mistake!

I did make a mistake and thought I could cover it up with the back button :shobon:

Is it okay to change our votes down the line, is that kosher? Because I'm definitely switching my vote to National Bank if it comes out as the other competitor to Ecumenism.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Government: A.
National Idea: Ecumenism. It's not about suppressing heretics at home, as we have none. But we do have a moral obligation to heal the rift behind the Sunni and Shia faiths, considering our close and historical ties to the Sunni Abbasid family. Maybe we can also bring infidels into these church councils, and fuse all religions together into a World Church...but one step at a time.

Servant fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2011

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

BlackJosh posted:

I did make a mistake and thought I could cover it up with the back button :shobon:

You can go change it! All is forgiven!

Votes can still be changed at any time! I just ask that you try to keep your votes in thread (the official vote) the same as the vote on the external site!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
We need to tolerate heathens, not heretics. Ecumenism is thoroughly useless at this time.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Admin Monarchy and Engineering Corps.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

A - Administrative Monarchy

B - National Bank

Yes our finances are under control, and that's the perfect time to plan ahead for when they aren't.

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!

A for government type and C for idea to try and counteract the fort penalties from offensive and to lower build costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

On the one hand, we need National Bank ASAP.

On the other we must out tolerate our Armenian rivals.

A
A

• Locked thread