Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Wiz posted:

OK, Arabic speakers out there, question: When denoting possessive in Arabic, what's the correct grammatical order and do you add 'al-'? As in, let's take "Ali's Town", which would be Ali Beldh, is it Beldh Ali, Ali Beldh or Ali al-Beldh?

This is a basic idafa construction. You put the possessed noun first, then the possessor noun. So Ali's town= town of Ali = baldah `Ali. (`Ali al-Baldah would translate to "Ali the Village," which would presumably be a nickname of a guy named Ali.)

This is the same construction used for Gibraltar, the original Arabic name of which is Jabal Tariq, i.e., mountain (jabal) of Tariq (Tariq ibn Ziyad, the Berber general who spearheaded the Muslim conquest of Iberia).

Wiz posted:

And does the order/grammar remain the same for "Point Town" (Beldh Neqth according to the translator, which seems very random on grammar).

NuqTHa* itself can mean a village, hamlet, or market town. It can also mean outpost, especially in a military sense. I'm not sure adding anything is necessary here, though if you want, you could call it al-Baldat an-NuqTha ("the tiny (or specific) town").

*I know that looks like Klingon, but the TH is my attempt to mark it as the emphatic consonant.

Edit: Viola the Mad was spot-on in my estimation and doubtlessly better with the grammar than I am (I really am rusty). She knows what she's talking about, so I would say you're in good hands with her looking over your spreadhseet.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am loving the language chat :3

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Government: A
Idea: C

Nothing witty to say this time, sorry.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

FadingChord posted:

We decided to tolerate heathens and were rewarded with...

We were rewarded with endless wars that cost many, many Azeri lives.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A and C win!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

nimby posted:

Lives are replaceable.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

nimby posted:

Our Tolerance didn't make Armenia decide to start eating it's neighbors.

Our Tolerance did let us break them apart eventually though.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't think it's very tolerant to conquer areas.

You tolerants should try to get the king to release any nonazerbaijani areas as free and independent nations.

e; you know what else isn't tolerant? Armies and fortifications. Killing foreign soldiers just because they were unlucky enough to end up in the army seems awfully hateful.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Nakar posted:

Has anyone ever experimented with X-TREME DEFENSE? Full Defensive, Engineer Corps, tons of 6-star Fort advisers? Is there a cap to +Fort Defense%? Can you force someone to siege every province you have for 10 years, and thus become utterly invincible as a country like Russia?

MiscMods adds a province decision you can make for 100 ducats to get Local Fortifications in that province for 10 years if you have Siege Engineers as an idea.

It's kind of a neat idea.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

A and C win!

YES.

God job Shura.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

Patter Song posted:

That's a good question, actually. When did this idea that senior Shia clerics receive messages and guidance from the occultated 12th Imam emerge, and do we already have top religious officials claiming his guidance in their jurispudence like in modern Iran (where Ahmadinejad leaves status reports on Iran's nuclear program at the site of the 12th Imam's occultation)?

We discussed this on IRC, but for those following this debate...

This wiki page said that this concept was first shown in Iran in the 10th century, so the idea is not foreign. There was a religious sect of Twelver Shia called the Akhbari argued against the practice of speaking on behalf of the 12th Imam, and they actually were dominant in "the late Safavid and early post-Safavid era", before declining in influence. Mot Twelver Shia today are Usuli which dominated since the late 18th century, who believe in the whole "Religious preachers speak on behalf of the Imams".

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Kainser posted:

I don't think it's very tolerant to conquer areas.

You tolerants should try to get the king to release any nonazerbaijani areas as free and independent nations.

e; you know what else isn't tolerant? Armies and fortifications. Killing foreign soldiers just because they were unlucky enough to end up in the army seems awfully hateful.

We aim for the greatest toleration for all. If there is no toleration to be found in foreign lands, then we must conquer them to bring them into our sphere of tolerance. The descendents of those subjugated will thank us.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Servant posted:

We discussed this on IRC, but for those following this debate...

This wiki page said that this concept was first shown in Iran in the 10th century, so the idea is not foreign. There was a religious sect of Twelver Shia called the Akhbari argued against the practice of speaking on behalf of the 12th Imam, and they actually were dominant in "the late Safavid and early post-Safavid era", before declining in influence. Mot Twelver Shia today are Usuli which dominated since the late 18th century, who believe in the whole "Religious preachers speak on behalf of the Imams".

Just wanted to add that for anyone really interested in delving into this further, Moojan Momen's An Introduction to Shi'i Islam is a useful, comprehensive introduction to Shi'a.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

AgentF posted:

We aim for the greatest toleration for all. If there is no toleration to be found in foreign lands, then we must conquer them to bring them into our sphere of tolerance. The descendents of those subjugated will thank us.

If they do not thank us, we will tolerate them with extreme prejudice.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ibntumart posted:

That's obviously a very simplified explanation, but in short, did they believe in the divine right of kings in any sense similar to European Christendom? I would say no, not really.

Also, the Middle East didn't really have Europe's ridiculous affection for bloodline legitimacy. While titles often stayed in the family, it was by no means guaranteed. On the downside this meant a lot of civil wars, but it did mean that you didn't have things like Charles II drooling his way through 35 years of kingship and starting a war by dying.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Idea: B

Let the heathens be heathens, their children can always be turned to the light. But no quarter shall be given to the treacherous Sunni dogs, the murderers of Ali ibn Abu Talib, the First Ali, and the Lion of God.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

Idea: B

Let the heathens be heathens, their children can always be turned to the light. But no quarter shall be given to the treacherous Sunni dogs, the murderers of Ali ibn Abu Talib, the First Ali, and the Lion of God.

Voting is over mate.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 17: Suzerain (1540 - 1550)

At the insistance of the Shura, Ertan reforms the government of Azerbaijan, creating administrative institutions to govern its expanding territories.

Among the new institutions created is the Army Engineer Corps, charged with the responsibility of maintaining Azerbaijan's fortifications.

To get inflation under control, Ertan hires a skilled Master of Mint, Direnc Fatemi. Direnc advises him that the state could expand its revenue substantially by assuming direct control of Azerbaijan's guilds. Ertan happily agrees with his recommendtion.

This proves to be the last thing Ertan does in life, as he falls ill and passes away shortly thereafter at the age of 50.

His son is crowned Rafiq II. Rafiq is a military man, obsessed with the military exploits of his predecessors, to the extend that he spend nearly all his time with the soldiers and feels more comfortable in uniform than royal regalia.

His first act as Sultan is a complete reorganization of the infantry by replacing the standard weaponry with a musket, a move that puts Azerbaijan military ahead of many of its neighbours, and on par with the states of Europe, where firearms have dominated the battlefields for some time.

He showers the army with money, constructing garrison houses, training fields and armories all across the realm.

His singular focus is bad news for the budding administrative government, who find themselves without executive direction.

Persia annexes the Abbasids in 1543, adding the rich city of Baghdad to their already substantial territories.

Georgian uprising are growing less and less frequent, but occasionally a small revolt breaks out and is put down by the army.

In 1544 Kurdistan approaches Azerbaijan with an unusual offer. They have just come out of another devastating war between Syria and Persia, in which armies from both sides trampled their crops and burned their cities. Having long enjoyed a good relationship with Azerbaijan, and being recognized as a part of Azerbaijan's sphere, they offer to swear fealty to Rafiq in exchange for guarantees that their land will be defended from all foreign invaders. Rafiq is not slow to respond, accepting the offer gladly.

Not long thereafter, the Sultan of Morocco dies leaving no heirs. With numerous noble houses claiming the throne, the Moroccan court acts to forestall civil war by offering the crown of Morocco to the Sultan's grandson - Rafiq, whose mother was a Moroccan princess, figuring that such a distant ruler will largely let them rule their own affairs in peace. Rafiq accepts this offer as well, adding another realm to his rule.

Though the Moroccans expected little of Rafiq, he fails to meet even their low expectations, dragging out the appointment of a governor in Morocco for several months, resulting in a complete government standstill in his subject nation.

Russia goes on the warpath in 1546, conquering the remnants of the Golden Horde and seizing territory from the Siberian Khanate. Azerbaijan is requested to join in the wars, but it is mere symbolic participation, and Azerbaijani involvement is limited to sending a few observers.

Rafiq's son Muhammad comes of age later in the same year. He is widely regarded as a wastrel who wastes his modest talents on women, horses and dog breeding.

Fortunately, though neither father nor son wants to handle the day-to-day running of the government, the bureaucracy created by Ertan has grown into the role, managing affairs as best they can in the absence of the Sultan.

In 1550, Azerbaijani merchants return from China with a set of maps purchased in Xi'an, and an important piece of news: The Khan of Kangsu has proclaimed himself the Son of Heaven and founded the Zhen dynasty, and even now battles to unify China under his rule. Most of the remaining Chinese states have allied against him, and no one knows who will come out victorious: Uighurs or Chinese.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 7, 2011

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Whooo, Zhen.

Whats left of the HRE?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

Whooo, Zhen.

Whats left of the HRE?

State of the world coming tomorrow, so you can see then.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I will say it as many times as I need to - don't you dare mess up that PU. What an opportunity!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Wiz posted:

Rafiq's son Muhammad comes of age later in the same year. He is widely regarded as a good-for-nothing wastrel who spends all his time on women, horses and dog breeding.

This is... somehow oddly familiar.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The AI WANTS us to blob. There can be no other explanation. They handed us Persia in Crusader Kings, and now they've handed us Morocco (Assuming we can keep it.)

Batsy Runtime
Feb 20, 2011

did you know that even with seat belts people die all the time in car crashes? i thought that was interesting
Oh cool, Zhen Dynasty and Dutch Argentina. Looks like Morocco's back to colonizing West Africa again, too, which would be totally cool if we end up inheriting them.

Who's that blue above Mali? And is the purple in West Africa the Byzantines?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lowcash posted:

Oh cool, Zhen Dynasty and Dutch Argentina. Looks like Morocco's back to colonizing West Africa again, too.

Who's that blue above Mali? And is the purple in West Africa the Byzantines?

Blue above Mali is Sofala, purple is Loango.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Do we get cores on those moroccan provinces if we inherit them? If we do end up getting morocco then the logical next step is to conquer syria, egypt and north africa so we have a land route.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Hahaha, taking Byzantium seems to have been a net loss for Nicaea. They appear to have lost Nicaea, and are getting squeezed by Bulgaria + Armenia. The Dutch are clearly making up for lost time in Argentina/Florida.

Japan looks close to unification now too. How many major population centers does Zhen control now other than Xi'an? It looks like they are just short of Beijing/Nanjing/Shanghai/Kunming and most of the rich coastal provinces.

Navarra still lives!

E: I love how you get Morocco in a PU then ruin relations and roll a 3 3 3 heir

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

E: I love how you get Morocco in a PU then ruin relations and roll a 3 3 3 heir

5 5 3. He's a wastrel but not COMPLETELY useless.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
He's a military man without a war to fight. This is going to be interesting.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
When is Quirghar going to annex Kazakhstan and inherit Kwarizm?

Also nice to see the Moroccan colonia empire back on track. Argentina might be gone but there is still a chance for Moroccan Chile.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

LordBaxter posted:

Do we get cores on those moroccan provinces if we inherit them? If we do end up getting morocco then the logical next step is to conquer syria, egypt and north africa so we have a land route.

Nope. They're Semitic, we're Turkic.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

He's a military man without a war to fight. This is going to be interesting.

I'd fight Armenia but Russia are being jerks and guaranteeing them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can you even send troops to Morocco at all? It might be fun to push around an African nation or two if you could manage to support them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't build boats yet because coastal provinces aren't cores, but I could probably get military access all the way there.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

What's the purple state in Japan? It looks close to unifying.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Really? That'd be one heck of a march! Not to mention that you'd need military access from the Ottomans(?), Syria, Egypt, and Tunisia(?), in that order.

*EDIT* OR, could you build boats in Morocco and have them pick up your troops?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

i poo poo trains posted:

What's the purple state in Japan? It looks close to unifying.

Date. It looks like Japan is gonna come down to a Date vs Ikko Ikki fight for who gets to unify.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triskelli posted:

Really? That'd be one heck of a march! Not to mention that you'd need military access from the Ottomans(?), Syria, Egypt, and Tunisia(?), in that order.

I have good relations with all those countries from my habit to obsessively marry everyone.

I'm not saying its a good idea to march armies all the way over there, but it can be done.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
So after russia stops guaranteeing armenia and we annex it and kurdistan where next?

Also does having merchants in a COT spread culture? I would have thought having a busy COT full fo foreign merhcants would cause accepted culture/change culture events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guiguiBob
Mar 28, 2010
Is it Dutch in Florida?

And Italy attempting to hop to India?

Also can Burgundy form some kind of France thing, they're getting there slowly?

• Locked thread