Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ras Het posted:

"Sufficient income" would have to be something insane in this case, so I don't think it's too unrealistic.
I played a game for shits and giggles as OPM Lübeck, deliberately choosing to never expand and just play the trade game; I think I had a 25k standing army when I called it quits. But for a merchant republic it was easy to pretend they were in fact mercenaries kept on retainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
HRE states also have a lot of people in them.

The only nations that could really have an army larger than their population would be something like an Irish minor trading state. And you could hand wave them as mercs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Okay, modify my statement to be "larger than the adult male population".

And no, I don't think it'd be reasonable for a country to have mercenary companies totaling more men under arms than the entire adult male population of the country, either. It's silly.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Leperflesh posted:

And no, I don't think it'd be reasonable for a country to have mercenary companies totaling more men under arms than the entire adult male population of the country, either. It's silly.

Depends on a country and depends on the mercenary company. :v:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Leperflesh posted:

You're thinking too much into it. If you are going to take issue with that, hell, what about being able to raise all your 150 regiments from the same 2K pop colony province in the middle of nowhere? It's a game and it makes abstractions, which are bound to result in unrealistic things like this. If you don't want them, you have to look into a realistic simulation, like Dwarf Fortress, but you know that all too well.

Victoria's POP system is a happy compromise I guess; but then that's what makes Victoria Victoria. Pretty sure that's what Paradox been saying anyway.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bonus Update: What if? (Chapter 1)

Alright, so one of the things to most frequently come up in my LPs is 'what if Wiz wasn't putting any limits on himself and just playing as good as possible, how big would we be?'. I figured that hey, I might as well answer that question and show you what a mega-LP where I am playing only to win and expand would look like.

I'm starting in CK, in 1066, as one of the absolutely crappiest countries on the map, the Count of Faereyar (a small island group halfway between Scotland and Iceland). I am playing on Hard, with my normal mod, so it's the same conditions as in the Azeri LP except that I'm not refraining from doing ridiculous things, I am not roleplaying, and I am not going to spin off any conquered land into independent realms. This is done with no savescumming, although in the interests of full disclosure I did restart once because my ruler died of old age in the first week on my first try.

These updates will contain no fluff, no RPing, and only a minimal amount of screenshots as I intend to finish this as quickly as possible.

This is me, the Count of Faereyar. I kind of suck.

This is my lovely county in 1066. The province has the lowest possible tax income and no claims or chances of inheritance to anything. Your starting ruler is 50 years old and you do not start with any children.

I start by stalking Agnes of Aquitaine, the daughter of the otherwise childless Duke of Aquitaine. She is 14 at game start, and turns 16 in january of 1067. I immediately send a marriage proposal and it is accepted.

With Agnes married and my potential heirs on the way to inheriting Aquitaine, I become a vassal of Aquitaine to keep an eye on my inheritance.

I get a son who is now in line to inherit Aquitaine after Agnes (Aquitaine has female inheritance).

Leivur dies and Eigil takes the throne at the tender age of 0.

Because I do not want to have to wait 40+ years to inherit Aquitaine I murder mommy (who somehow ran off to Sweden), putting me in the direct line of inheritance.

This gets me the kinslayer trait, but that's quite OK since this event keeps firing until I get rid of it on the third try.

I inherit Aquitaine in the late 1070s.

Immediately on ganing Aquitaine, I switch my liege to Germany.

Having gained a land connection to Iberia, Germany goes on a conquering spree there which suits my purposes fine. I make a few attempts to farm prestige from weak muslim rulers but Germany keeps peacing out while I'm sieging. Oh well.

I married a while back but my wife is having trouble producing children, so I off her and get a new one. The new one immediately produces a son, proving once again that death solves all problems.

The King of Germany dies in 1098 and thanks to the wonders of Elective Law in which the strongest vassal inherits, and the three Duke titles I got from inheriting Aquitaine, I am elected King of Germany.

I keep elective law for now and make my bastard brother Duke of Aquitaine, so I have someone to fall back on in case my baby son dies.

I smack the Count of Navarre around a bit and get the necessary land to become King of Navarra, bringing my king title count up to 5.

1100, 34 years into the game: My not-so-lovely realm.

The Count of Faeryear Duke of Aquitaine King of Germany will return soon in the next installment of "What if: Inheriting everyone".

Wiz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 5, 2011

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Greatest Paradox LP.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It will be interesting to see what happens next.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Wiz, you mad genius.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Too bad you refused to RP, or you'd have a top notch 'average' Paradox AAR right there.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
:psyduck: You completely destroyed CK in 5 years.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The glorious Of Sudrey's shall take their rightful place as rulers of the world :helladid:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You couldn't marry Agnes of Aquitane as a Muslim. Please do the same as Azerbaijan, kthnxbye.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Hey, there are a bunch of new posts in this thread, I wonder wha-

O-oh. I guess that's what... Guys, what have we unleashed unto this fragile earth?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ras Het posted:

You couldn't marry Agnes of Aquitane as a Muslim. Please do the same as Azerbaijan, kthnxbye.

I already did. It was called "inheriting Persia and Khwarizm". Do you honestly think the Mongols would have stood a chance if it weren't for the split realm on death rule?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let's Play: The Omen

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I always find it amusing that it's both easier and faster to conquer Europe in CK than it is in EU3.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

nimby posted:

I always find it amusing that it's both easier and faster to conquer Europe in CK than it is in EU3.

That's not entirely as true since DW though, since you can do HRE: Inheriting everyone. I'd say its faster in CK but honestly easier in EU3, since rebels will never be the threat vassals are.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Føroyarnar? Føroyarnar!?
Jesus everliving christ, at the time there were around, what, 2000 people living there? But it's hella cool to see our cousins that never get respect finally get it.
What country is crappier than them incedently? How is that even possible?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Wiz posted:

I already did. It was called "inheriting Persia and Khwarizm". Do you honestly think the Mongols would have stood a chance if it weren't for the split realm on death rule?

Oh yeah I forgot that...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I think this is why Wiz is RPing Azerbaijan. Otherwise there wouldn't be anyone left to cause things to happen by Viccy EU3.

Looking forward to more conquest through diplomacy.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Føroyarnar? Føroyarnar!?
Jesus everliving christ, at the time there were around, what, 2000 people living there? But it's hella cool to see our cousins that never get respect finally get it.
What country is crappier than them incedently? How is that even possible?

Well, it's definitely the crappiest country when you only consider ruler and province and such, but they do start in a pretty safe position. Then again, any count that doesn't can just pledge alliance to the nearest blob.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
CK, EU3, Victoria... these are not hard games. Unless you make them hard.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
EU3 can be modded to be significantly more challenging though, but there's not much that can be done about raising the difficulty of CK, which is why its a good showcase for 'yeah I could own the entire world in 100 years'.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Why exactly did the Duke of Aquitaine consent to marrying off his daughter to a 50 year old man who lives on some island in the middle of nowhere? Surely there were better suitors.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Konstantin posted:

Why exactly did the Duke of Aquitaine consent to marrying off his daughter to a 50 year old man who lives on some island in the middle of nowhere? Surely there were better suitors.

Because I asked first. Them's the rules of marriage in CK: First suitor gets the bride.

I mean they CAN say no but its based on diplomacy score and I had a good chancellor.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Well poo poo...

Will you be taking your "break paradox" Let's play through to eu3 or beyond?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

LordBaxter posted:

Well poo poo...

Will you be taking your "break paradox" Let's play through to eu3 or beyond?

I'm pretty sure I'll be done before the halfway point in CK.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Wiz posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll be done before the halfway point in CK.

How about the Mongols? Will you take the time to nip that little invasion in the bud?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Wiz posted:

:sbahj: Wiz, I think you may know this game a little too well.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I, for one, feel the point has been made most eloquently. It doesn't take much imagination to see where you go from there...

What I mean to say, is... I'm really, really interested in seeing what happens in Azerbaijan next. That Bonus Update was fantastic, but I'd rather see effort going into the main narrative, all else being equal.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eiba posted:

I, for one, feel the point has been made most eloquently. It doesn't take much imagination to see where you go from there...

What I mean to say, is... I'm really, really interested in seeing what happens in Azerbaijan next. That Bonus Update was fantastic, but I'd rather see effort going into the main narrative, all else being equal.

Don't worry, this won't come at the expense of Azerbaijan. I doubt it'll be more than 3-4 bonus updates in total.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Eiba posted:

Yeah! I agree. I'm a little sad Wiz is doing this. I thought everyone knew it was really easy to break the games. I'd much prefer to see what happens to Azerbaijan next!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love how the best answer to owning everything is 'kill everything in the way indiscriminately'

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

gowb posted:

Yeah! I agree. I'm a little sad Wiz is doing this. I thought everyone knew it was really easy to break the games. I'd much prefer to see what happens to Azerbaijan next!

I am not doing this instead of Azerbaijan. There would not be an Azerbaijan update here instead. If you don't like it, don't read it.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

I love how the best answer to owning everything is 'kill everything in the way indiscriminately'
Crusader Kings is actually the long lost prequel to God Hand.

Little known fact.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never played CK, only seen it played out in Something Awful LPs. It always seems a total clusterfuck of lovely kings, traitorous vassals, cheating wives, etc. It will actually be interesting to see someone stomp all over it. EU3 is another story, so I've enjoyed reading about the struggles of Azerbaijan. Whenever I play EU3, I can't help but blob eventually.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Wiz posted:

I am not doing this instead of Azerbaijan. There would not be an Azerbaijan update here instead. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Nah, I'll still read them, I was just afraid you were doing them instead of Azerbaijan...carry on!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Honestly, Crusader Kings is held together with spit and duct tape. Breaking it isn't such an impressive feat. Besides, I thought we all knew Wiz was great at these games already. Just look at how big Crete wound up. Despite a couple hundred goons with a couple hundred agendas messing things up for him, he still wound up doing as well as most people who "play to win" would.

That said, I am incredibly curious what he could do to a much harder/more solid game like EU3. I still remember my Dai Viet lfet's play where I got eaten by China three updates in. Makes me wonder what a good player would have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

Duckbag posted:

Honestly, Crusader Kings is held together with spit and duct tape. Breaking it isn't such an impressive feat. Besides, I thought we all knew Wiz was great at these games already. Just look at how big Crete wound up. Despite a couple hundred goons with a couple hundred agendas messing things up for him, he still wound up doing as well as most people who "play to win" would.

That said, I am incredibly curious what he could do to a much harder/more solid game like EU3. I still remember my Dai Viet lfet's play where I got eaten by China three updates in. Makes me wonder what a good player would have done.

Here's a screenshot from the how to play EU3 thread:

that was taken in 1648.

• Locked thread