Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Maybe I missed this, but: What's the heir's relation to the sultan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

Maybe I missed this, but: What's the heir's relation to the sultan?

Son by a concubine (thus the relatively weak claim).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I thought the whole point of this was to avoid being a great power?

I don't like Burak, he's probably a secret Christian.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Whizbang posted:

I thought the whole point of this was to avoid being a great power?

I don't like Burak, he's probably a secret Christian.

We're a Great Power in EU3, but there's not much of EU3 left. By Victoria 2 standards we're not gonna do so hot, with a tiny cultural majority and large tracts of sparsely populated territory.

Honestly, when you get an 8/8/8 ruler it would make no sense narratively to sit on your rear end.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wiz I love you so much.

All Hail Buraktannia

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I absolutely loving love this turn. :)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Burak is a badass and he knows it. When you smell blood in the water...

Going toe-to-toe against Russia seems like a pretty good endgame for the EU3 phase. I wonder if Europe will end up getting more involved.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
Whats our discipline sitting at? 140%? Grabbing Esprit would then bring us up to 150%? Not bad I suppose.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hyord posted:

Whats our discipline sitting at? 140%? Grabbing Esprit would then bring us up to 150%? Not bad I suppose.

150%, Esprit would bump it to 165%, although some of that is from monarch MIL.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Wiz posted:

150%, Esprit would bump it to 165%, although some of that is from monarch MIL.

What's Russia's discipline at?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

When trying to go for a badass army is it better to jack up morale or discipline? That's one element of the game I never quite grasped in all my playthroughs.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Super Jay Mann posted:

When trying to go for a badass army is it better to jack up morale or discipline? That's one element of the game I never quite grasped in all my playthroughs.

View it this way.

Discipline is damage, morale is health. Which is better depends on what your army is. If you get awesome amounts of damage in a war, but tend to lose because you run out of morale, go for morale. If you have awesome staying power but individual battles don't do much damage quickly, get discipline. If you can get both, do it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

They're complimentary. Morale influences staying power - how much damage your troops can take before they break. Discipline affects damage dealt - it's a multiplier on the base damage of the troops in each phase. So it depends which you want to prioritize, but they're both important. You could have glass cannons with high discipline but who break easily thanks to low morale, or troops who will stay in combat forever but not do much damage quickly, or lovely troops with neither, or 18th century Prussia with both.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

It really depends. They're both important in their own way, since if your morale is bad your battle line will collapse and it doesn't matter how good discipline you have.

I would say that as long as you do not have a large morale difference to the enemy, discipline is more important. Morale also gets less important the longer the game goes on since the base morale increases with tech. +1 morale is a LOT in 1400, not much in 1700.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Discipline. Discipline ups your damage done to the enemy and drops theirs on you high discipline troops can kill super morale enemies by simply killing them all.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The absolute best is a tech advantage. It's always fun to see a fight between the Netherlands and France where your 15k Dutch musket troops are making the 30k French men at arms evaporate.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

Discipline. Discipline ups your damage done to the enemy and drops theirs on you high discipline troops can kill super morale enemies by simply killing them all.

This is not entirely true because morale isn't just about whose army runs away last, individual regiments can run away and leave your battle line open to enemy cavalry. If this happens you'll start taking massive casualties no matter your discipline edge.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

nimby posted:

The absolute best is a tech advantage. It's always fun to see a fight between the Netherlands and France where your 15k Dutch musket troops are making the 30k French men at arms evaporate.

Westernizing as a backwater asian country is so amazingly broken and hilarious that I can never not do it.

Routing 40k Chinese doomstacks with 2cav/5inf stacks never gets old.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nice set of turns! I think Burak has one more Russian War in him, time to make our status as "World Power" count!

Also, I take it we've earned our status as a Power by merit of our insanely competent army and the dynamic personality of our Sultan? Hopefully one of those Royal Marriages pulls through and we get some proper blobbing. A return to our glorious CK borders... :allears:

*EDIT*
As an aside, how many other nations have the "World Power" modifier?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 24, 2012

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Hey, if we can get Poland and Persia to back us up, maybe we could try some partitioning of Russia :hist101:. At any rate, we should capitalize on our Sultan's success; deal Russia a few more crippling blows so that in Victoria, we might be able to steal Great Power status from them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triskelli posted:

Nice set of turns! I think Burak has one more Russian War in him, time to make our status as "World Power" count!

Also, I take it we've earned our status as a Power by merit of our insanely competent army and the dynamic personality of our Sultan? Hopefully one of those Royal Marriages pulls through and we get some proper blobbing. A return to our glorious CK borders... :allears:

*EDIT*
As an aside, how many other nations have the "World Power" modifier?

The current great powers (in descending order of power) are:
1) Russia
2) Espanya
3) Burgundy
4) Zhen
5) Italy
6) Mughals
7) Great Britain
8) Poland
9) Netherlands
10) Persia
11) Azerbaijan

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Wiz posted:

1) Russia
2) Espanya
3) Burgundy
4) Zhen
5) Italy
6) Mughals
7) Great Britain
8) Poland
9) Netherlands
10) Persia
11) Azerbaijan

Are you handling great powers differently in EU3 than in Vicky 2? That is, if EU3 ended right now, would the top 8 in that list comprise the great powers and the others comprise secondary powers?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

Are you handling great powers differently in EU3 than in Vicky 2? That is, if EU3 ended right now, would the top 8 in that list comprise the great powers and the others comprise secondary powers?

The systems are radically different. I doubt we'll be a GP in Victoria considering our poor industrial potential. That said there is obviously going to be some correlation between Great Powers in EU3 and Great Powers in Victoria.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wiz posted:

1) Russia
2) Espanya
3) Burgundy
4) Zhen
5) Italy
6) Mughals
7) Great Britain
8) Poland
9) Netherlands
10) Persia
11) Azerbaijan

Wow, didn't realize Russia was number 1. Aw well, we probably won't be able to knock them off of the great powers, but we can at least add ourselves to the list.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I'll forgo the usual "MY TOLERANT AZERBAIJAN :negative:" and say that Azeri historians (no, not Azeri goons) are going to have a hell of a time with this guy. Book after book will be devoted to debating his legacy. Was he one of Azerbaijan's greatest sultans--or one of its worst tyrants? I'm talking an entire shelf at the Tabriz Public Library devoted to his biographies, histories of this period, social analysis, the whole nine yards. Not to mention the inevitable Sexy Tudors-style historical miniseries.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Great updates, long live Our Glorious Padishah. Despite falling more on the TOLERANCE side of things during the readthrough I have to agree with most everyone here in saying that Burak is pretty excellent.

Here's hoping he reforms fast enough for us not to be a complete backwater with little potential in Vicky 2.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Viola the Mad posted:

I'll forgo the usual "MY TOLERANT AZERBAIJAN :negative:" and say that Azeri historians (no, not Azeri goons) are going to have a hell of a time with this guy. Book after book will be devoted to debating his legacy. Was he one of Azerbaijan's greatest sultans--or one of its worst tyrants? I'm talking an entire shelf at the Tabriz Public Library devoted to his biographies, histories of this period, social analysis, the whole nine yards. Not to mention the inevitable Sexy Tudors-style historical miniseries.

He'll take the place of Alexander the Great as history's most famous ambiguously gay ruler.

Oh who am I kidding, Alexander's still going to be more famous. :(

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If we want to really conflict his legacy, he should use his absolute power to force Azerbaijan onto the road to industrialization. That way future historians can have an enormous ongoing debate about whether he was solely responsible for it and that it couldn't have happened without such a strong central figure, or whether the conditions in Azerbaijan were right and any ruler under any conditions would have been able to set Azerbaijan on the same path to modernity.

Also, given that the Mughals now also share a border with Russia in Central Asia and are even higher on the great power ranking than any of us, Persia or Poland, maybe we could get them involved in our inevitable hopeful coalition war against Russia.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

If we want to really conflict his legacy, he should use his absolute power to force Azerbaijan onto the road to industrialization. That way future historians can have an enormous ongoing debate about whether he was solely responsible for it and that it couldn't have happened without such a strong central figure, or whether the conditions in Azerbaijan were right and any ruler under any conditions would have been able to set Azerbaijan on the same path to modernity.

Also, given that the Mughals now also share a border with Russia in Central Asia and are even higher on the great power ranking than any of us, Persia or Poland, maybe we could get them involved in our inevitable hopeful coalition war against Russia.

It's 1720. There is no such thing as industralization and he's not going to be here in 100 years.

I know everyone's eager for Vicky but let's try to remember we're still in the early modern era here.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
What is the country that split England's colony in half? The Cherokee? Oh god.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wiz posted:

It's 1720. There is no such thing as industralization and he's not going to be here in 100 years.

I know everyone's eager for Vicky but let's try to remember we're still in the early modern era here.

True, guess I'm way ahead of myself. I was thinking along the lines of Peter the Great's iron mills and so on, but those didn't lead to industrialization for Russia so it's not really a good comparison.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
We're pretty much hosed as soon as this guys dies aren't we? Wrap it up Shurailures :smuggo:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Wiz posted:

Between militia act, absolute monarchy, max quality and max offensive, Azeri troops are basically the Prussians of this timeline.

:allears:

Going against Russia would be a great way to finish up EU3.

e: What's the current situation of the Cherokee?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wiz posted:

Between militia act, absolute monarchy, max quality and max offensive, Azeri troops are basically the Prussians of this timeline.

I thought that was the Polish? Or are we beating even them now?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

vyelkin posted:

While Russia may be big and scary, it is important to remember that it shares a border with 5 other great powers, all of which hate it. I really would like to see the Grand Muslim Alliance (+ Poland) carve Russia up into little pieces.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

GoatLord posted:

While Russia may be big and scary, it is important to remember that it shares a border with 5 other great powers, all of which hate it. I really would like to see the Grand Muslim Alliance (+ Poland) carve Russia up into little pieces.

I would laugh my rear end off if by 1821, the Muslim/Polish coalition could not only knock Russia off the list of Great Powers, we could reduce it to a OPM, like with Poland IRL.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wiz posted:

He could pull a Seleucid and still be around by 1780.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Is it time to start thinking about grabbing some nice high-population provinces so we can have a large industry in vicky? Or is there still time to burn off some infamy or smack around armenia/egypt some more? Given that the current persian sultan is in our dynasty what are our chances of inheriting?

Also three cheers for the Azerbaijani empire! May it's sun never set!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Enjoy one last update before I go to work. This one is 20 years because not much happened and I want to make EU3 an even 50 chapters.

Chapter 39: Despot (1720 - 1740)

Burgundy invades and annexes Gascony, elimating the last rival for political control of France.

With France now unified under Burgundy, the Burgundians declare themselves the rightful sovereigns of France, ending six centuries of Imperial political control in the region and reducing the Holy Roman Empire to little more than Germany itself.

Norway's colonial troubles continue, as the independence movements spread to their Vestland colonies in the Great Plains region.

In Azerbaijan, Burak does not live to enjoy his absolute authority, passing away from a fever sickness in 1721. The new Sultan is his son by his favorite concubine, Aram IV. Aram is a Daei to the core: Competent, arrogant and ruthless. While he has not inherited all his father's administrative talents, he is nonetheless competent in all areas of statecraft. Having grown up with a violent, cruel father has gained him some rather unsavory habits, and dark rumors surround the countryside parties he attends with a select circle of friends.

He immediately sets about modernizing the army to keep up with the ever-increasing pace of technological development in Europe. Designs for new firearms and cannon are brought to Azerbaijan and soon the Kartli foundries are at work refitting the army.

He also invests in the latest fortification techniques, strengthening the defenses on Azerbaijan's borders.

With his military reforms complete, Aram sets about consolidating his power and strengthening the administration, using his diplomatic talents and the unquestioning support of the army to improve the stability of Azerbaijan.

The financial policies to strengthen the Azeri currency begun by Burak and continued by Aram bear fruit in 1730, as the Manat becomes stable enough to begin backing it with the Alanian gold reserves, further reducing inflation.

Aram continues to weaken the aristocracy by selling titles, spending the money on the construction of wineries in Cherson and road networks all across the country.

The scandals regarding his more private pleasures continue to wrack the court, but by now Azerbaijan is stable enough that such shakeups are little more than a nuisance.

In 1737, a report reaches Tabriz from the Governor of Trapezus. According to the governor, Islam has been growing in strength in the province. The process has accelerated since the abolishment of the millets, and has now reached the point where Shi'a muslims are in the majority among its Greek population.

As the year turns to 1739, Aram begins feeling restless. Twenty years of his rule have passed by without a chance for him to prove himself in a war, but with both the Poles and Persians occupied in wars with their neighbours, the time is not right for another campaign against Russia. Instead he turns his eye to the Armenian rump still clinging to Asia Minor.

He has learned from his father's mistakes, and instead of declaring war outright, he orders his spies to forge documents proving that he has a claim to Optimatoi on the eastern end of the Bosporus through his inheritance of Ezrerum, who are the successors to the Anatolian Turks.

Though the documents are harshly questioned and Azerbaijan suffers some diplomatic backlash, they provide at least enough of a pretext for countries that have no wish to get tangled in an Anatolian war to turn a blind eye to Azerbaijan's aggression. And so, Aram begins to prepare for war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

quote:

Hope and Change :allears: