Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

e X posted:

Did Britain do anything at all?

Basically no. I'm going to go ahead and assume they were busy stealing colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Wiz posted:

Basically no. I'm going to go ahead and assume they were busy stealing colonies.

Probably the only reason they joined the war in the first place.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, seeing as the main war became a bloody stalemate which no one really gained much from Britain's got to be feeling pretty smug right now. PERFIDIOUS ALBION! :argh:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Are there even mechanics in MOTE for Britain to finance their continental allies, the way they were giving massive subsidies to pretty much everyone fighting against Revolutionary France and then Napoleon in order to make up for their own lack of manpower and drive for continental land fighting?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If I were to guess, they probably went after Spanish holdings or are reconquering parts of South America.

I guess Pax Espana couldn't last. :sigh:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

Are there even mechanics in MOTE for Britain to finance their continental allies, the way they were giving massive subsidies to pretty much everyone fighting against Revolutionary France and then Napoleon in order to make up for their own lack of manpower and drive for continental land fighting?

The coalition leader gives money to all coalition members, so yeah but they're not coalition leader so they actually GOT subsidies from Russia. Mind you, they had a respectable army and could possibly have tipped the balance of the war but apparently they decided not to.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Will Sweden annex Finland seeing as it's only been two decades or so since it gained it's independence? I guess it's not hugely relevant unless it lasts until V2.

Anyway, I guess the net result of the war of the whateverth coalition is that Italy gains Albania, Finland becomes royalist again and Poland and Bohemia is a wartorn mess. The Empire(s) strikes back :italy:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm nervous about the North Front, the UK needs to make a landing somewhere.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Azeri/Russian/Polish defence of Warsaw is a very evocative bit of fake military history.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Honestly, one of the more annoying things about MOTE is the shortcomings of the British AI. They tend to dribble out tiny expeditionary armies here and there across the continent, and... well, that's it, really. They're the worst possible ally, because they'll take over the war-leader position of any war & then make concessions without giving any advantage in return.

Perfidious Albion indeed!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Wiz posted:

The coalition leader gives money to all coalition members, so yeah but they're not coalition leader so they actually GOT subsidies from Russia. Mind you, they had a respectable army and could possibly have tipped the balance of the war but apparently they decided not to.

Can't say I blame them - there might be short-term advantages to backing the Russians and getting whatever they can scrounge out of the wars, but a continent dominated by Republics and hostile to monarchies can't really be the most comfortable thing to consider for the King of Britain.

Also, can Poland actually contribute an army any more in the breathing room we've got? If they can, it's possible that keeping Poland in the Republican cause may, in the long-term, become the key to storming Germany and breaking the lynchpin of the monarchist nations. Even if they can't, though, the fact that Russian doesn't need to fight their way across Poland before hitting the bulk of the monarchists could prove decisive - and to be honest I doubt that the inclusion of Finland and Albania to the monarchist cause will prove quite as helpful for them. Might be a net gain for the Republicans, overall.

(P.S. Listening to the Red Army Choir while reading the updates is the best way to enjoy them.)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Poor Poland. Once a powerful state with a history of land dominance, now a war-torn puppet state that lost a whole generation of leaders and soldiers to an inconclusive bloodbath beyond its own control. Poland's going to be in for a rough time in the coming years. I'd imagine the government only really controls the cities, with the bureaucracy being practically non-existent in the countrysides. On the plus side, the people are probably too exhausted from the war to form a serious rebellion any time soon.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 16, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pakled posted:

Poor Poland. Once a powerful state with a history of land dominance, now a war-torn puppet state that lost a whole generation of leaders and soldiers to an inconclusive bloodbath beyond its own control. Poland's going to be in for a rough time in the coming years. I'd imagine the government only really controls the cities, with the bureaucracy being practically non-existent in the countrysides. On the plus side, the people are probably too exhausted from the war to make a fuss about their conditions any time soon.
If they somehow manage to spend a generation without being puppeted by someone (fat chance), they'll come up with a fascist hardass regime that makes the Cherokee look like a hippie commune.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If only we were not puppeted, now would be the perfect time to crush the greeks.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Ogianres posted:

Zhen, Mughalistan, Persia, and Mali are all pretty dynamic and growing powers, or at least most of them are last I recall. Zhen at the very least is having to engage revolutionary ideology in the form of fighting Russia, and win or lose is not going to be able to continue on without an outward perspective.

Since the ideas of the French revolution were spread by Napoleons soldiers, shouldn't this mean that the ideas spread to China in this timeline? This should mean that they'd civilize faster (maybe) but have to deal with the liberalism and springtime of nations (definitely).

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

lullelulle posted:

Since the ideas of the French revolution were spread by Napoleons soldiers, shouldn't this mean that the ideas spread to China in this timeline? This should mean that they'd civilize faster (maybe) but have to deal with the liberalism and springtime of nations (definitely).

A second golden age of Islam; in China.

It's gotta happen

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm picturing Poland as being forcibly disarmed (maybe ~3% Soldier pops and .1% Officer pops in V2) and absolutely abysmally low levels of Bureaucrats and Aristocrats (maybe .15% Bureaucrats and .05% Aristocrats).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Patter Song posted:

I'm picturing Poland as being forcibly disarmed (maybe ~3% Soldier pops and .1% Officer pops in V2) and absolutely abysmally low levels of Bureaucrats and Aristocrats (maybe .15% Bureaucrats and .05% Aristocrats).

Given Vicky2 will start in '36, I'd say three years would be enough to re-establish a functional, if inadequate bureaucracy.

Actually since it's a republic and now has a lot of free land, maybe Poland could be somewhat like a small European USA. It's right on the border with Germany as well, so if anyone wanted to escape monarchist tyranny they'd probably flee to Poland; working men will be at a premium in the coming generations and there's a lot of freed land so there's good incentive.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

YF-23 posted:

Given Vicky2 will start in '36, I'd say three years would be enough to re-establish a functional, if inadequate bureaucracy.

Actually since it's a republic and now has a lot of free land, maybe Poland could be somewhat like a small European USA. It's right on the border with Germany as well, so if anyone wanted to escape monarchist tyranny they'd probably flee to Poland; working men will be at a premium in the coming generations and there's a lot of freed land so there's good incentive.

I think Russia's more like a European USA in that regard. Russia has even more free land than Poland does, I'd imagine, and I think most people fleeing monarchist tyranny would choose Russia over poor, war-torn Poland.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

That's true, but at least one of the Big Guys in the monarchist camp, Germany, shares a direct border with Poland, so I figure it would be easier to get to it than Russia in many aspects.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What's the manpower situation like in our country?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

John Charity Spring posted:

The Azeri/Russian/Polish defence of Warsaw is a very evocative bit of fake military history.

Pakled posted:

Poor Poland. Once a powerful state with a history of land dominance, now a war-torn puppet state that lost a whole generation of leaders and soldiers to an inconclusive bloodbath beyond its own control. Poland's going to be in for a rough time in the coming years. I'd imagine the government only really controls the cities, with the bureaucracy being practically non-existent in the countrysides. On the plus side, the people are probably too exhausted from the war to form a serious rebellion any time soon.

Published 1833 in Mucha, a Polish periodical magazine - Artist Unknown
The Battle of Warsaw is considered a key event in military history and is frequently considered to be Europe's first major encounter with urban warfare. Although later romanticized in English and Italian literature, it is difficult to understate the devastating impact the battle had on Polish culture and society. Recently, foreign conduct in Warsaw has become a heated debate among historians. Critics argue that military forces attacked districts with little military significance, with particular attention being paid to the mass execution of the Sejm and the burning of the Royal Palace by German forces. The resulting firestorm destroyed eight square miles of the city centre.

Published 1837 in Zarevo, a Polish periodical magazine - I.T. Evlakovski

[/i]Russian President Aleksander Sheremetev and Italian King Amedeo II de Napoles are depicted as two sides of the same coin, leading the march to war for selfish and arbitrary goals.[/i]

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 16, 2013

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Is this the end of MotE? I mean this seems like a very uneasy peace and if the war comes in a year then it's probably best played out in MotE rather than Vicky2.

I do however suspect that no one will win before '36 so a few events or something will probably be needed for a continuation of the war. Unless they can do some kind of peace of Westphalia thing where it's basically the last big war about this and both sides can live with each other relatively peacefully.

On a side note I'm looking forward to fascist Poland. :poland:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Epilogue: The Peace of Pressburg

Delegates from all over Europe gather in Pressburg for the peace conference in March of 1833. Though all nations are allowed their say on the conference floor, the real deliberations go on behind closed doors as the Great Powers attempt to find an agreeable new power balance in Europe. The dealing and wrangling goes on for months until finally Russia, Germany and Italy make a joint announcement that they have reached an agreement.

The peace treaty is largely based on de facto control of territories at the end of the war, favoring nations such as Sweden whose control of Finland is recognized, though they are forced to relinquish a buffer territory around Lake Ladoga and renounce their control over Mecklenburg in exchange for German support.

As the most prominent fighting power on the Polish front, Germany makes significant territorial gains including the important port of Danzig, while Bohemia is rewarded for its suffering by having their claims to Silesia recognized.

Russia also takes a chunk out of Polish Galicia, while the rest remains a republic in the Russian sphere of influence.

Great Britain and the Netherlands, though gaining no territories in Europe, have used the war as a prextext to seize colonies from Portugal and Spain, with Great Britain annexing Cuba, Jamaica, Bermuda and the Bahamas, while the Netherlands have captured a number of Spanish island holdings.

Italy is rewarded with its captured Croatian and Albanian possessions, as well as guarantees of a free hand in pursuing their 'ancient' claims to Ragusa.

Finally, Russia achieves a long desired goal - recognized hegemony over the Black Sea and the Bosporus through the creation of a puppet Bosporan Republic at the expense of Greece, Bulgaria and Anatolia. Nominally an independent Greek Republic with its capital in Constantinople, in reality the new state is almost completely under Russian control.

Greece, in no position to resist Russia and with no friends in West, is 'compensated' with Cyprus.

Owing to its loyal performance in the war and Russian desire for good relations, Anatolia is rather more generously compensated for the loss of Cyprus and Izmit by the return of Dagestan and reunion of nearly all of its Azeri and Georgian populations.

The Peace of Pressburg has finally brought an end to the Revolutionary Wars and confirmed what has now become a deep divide between the conservative, Monarchist West and liberal, Republican East. As the fires of revolution die down and national interests reassert themselves, what kind of future will such a deeply divided Europe build?

That's it for MOTE! I am going on vacation tomorrow for several weeks away from the computer, but when I get back I will port the V2 scenario to HOD (shouldn't take very long) and keep on playing through V2. There will be some additional adjustments for V2, such as releasing the large puppets (Anatolia, Bulgaria and Poland mainly) and turning them into spherelings instead, as well as a minor time skip from '33 to '36. All in all, I'm quite happy with the result of retconning the AHD chapters, as I feel I was able to do the Revolutionary Wars justice in MOTE and I think we're now in a very interesting position for V2.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 16, 2013

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
With Aleppo being independent, our border with Persua is much prettier.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Bulgaria's (1-31) is the best part of the map.

You still have the V2 banner, yeah?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
:golfclap: Congrat's on another Paradox game LP'd!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

sniper4625 posted:

Bulgaria's (1-31) is the best part of the map.

You still have the V2 banner, yeah?

Yup.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

What of the world outside Europe? Any ideas on India/Asia/China?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Wiz posted:

The Peace of Pressburg has finally brought an end to the Revolutionary Wars and confirmed what has now become a deep divide between the conservative, Monarchist West and liberal, Republican East. As the fires of revolution die down and national interests reassert themselves, what kind of future will such a deeply divided Europe build?

Hmmm....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8pyd_blackadder-how-did-the-war-start_shortfilms

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 16, 2013

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ThePutty posted:

What of the world outside Europe? Any ideas on India/Asia/China?

For the most part, I'm just going to assume everyone else was in glorious stasis because it's only been ten years and whatever changes I made would be completely arbitrary. Some colonies will shift around, that's about it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Well, that could've ended worse for us. What're the Azeri provinces the Russians still own?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Well, that could've ended worse for us. What're the Azeri provinces the Russians still own?

There's some small minorities in the Caucasus in V2, but no majority or even significant minority provinces. We got our Azeris back.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I can't tell f we won or lost

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
There are going to be Astrakhan cores to prevent the Russians from assimilating our Jews, right?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I wonder what shmuck the Russians got to be leader of the Dosporan Republic. His job has got to suck.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Azerbaijan lost, but the Monarchists seemed to fulfill more of their goals. At the very least, there are less Republican states than there were pre-war.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Top Hats Monthly posted:

In terms of territory we definitely lost, and while being liberal will be nice for full citizenship, Laissez Faire is not so great for the economy of an unindustrialized country in V2. So we'll see!

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

So all the poor old poles died for nothing?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

I think after the devastation of this last conflict everyone in Europe will be quite averse to fighting each other again for some time honestly.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

We lost territory that would be too much of a bother to control in the first place and we became a democracy in the process so I count it as a win. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

YF-23 posted:

I think after the devastation of this last conflict everyone in Europe will be quite averse to fighting each other again for some time honestly.

For about 31 year, you mean?

• Locked thread