Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Wiz posted:

It's placeholder code we didn't have time to fix because we were really pressed for time at the end of HoD development.

So if that were to happen to us, would you console command / mod the crisis to autowin for one side and Anatolia get torn to shreds by seven great powers instead of fizzling out?

Gul Jod :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Wiz posted:

Should be another update coming tomorrow. Happy Holidays and a Merry War on Christmas.

Hail Satan.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Christmas is the perfect expansion opportunity for Anatolia.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiz posted:

Should be another update coming tomorrow. Happy Holidays and a Merry War on Christmas.

Hall Satan and praise Obama

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 26, 2013

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

paragon1 posted:

Hail Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku497rURF8

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Wiz posted:

It's placeholder code we didn't have time to fix because we were really pressed for time at the end of HoD development.

I really liked the spite explanation, but I suppose that makes more sense. What was supposed to happen? I'd have guessed that the side with backers auto-wins, but since having a side win seems straightforward to implement (given that there's obviously already code for when a side wins) I'm wondering if the intent was more complicated or if I'm just underestimating the complexity of the code. Either seems quite possible.

Also, seconding the question of whether, in a case where we happen across this, you'd admin-mode the consequences in lieu of the placeholder code result?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Akratic Method posted:

I really liked the spite explanation, but I suppose that makes more sense. What was supposed to happen? I'd have guessed that the side with backers auto-wins, but since having a side win seems straightforward to implement (given that there's obviously already code for when a side wins) I'm wondering if the intent was more complicated or if I'm just underestimating the complexity of the code. Either seems quite possible.

Also, seconding the question of whether, in a case where we happen across this, you'd admin-mode the consequences in lieu of the placeholder code result?

The side without backers was supposed to get a choice to either cave in or fight a war alone.

And sure, if it happens to us I'll probably retcon it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wiz posted:

The side without backers was supposed to get a choice to either cave in or fight a war alone.

Sounds like a neat option; you against the world. :black101: Can't wait until it eventually gets patched.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

JGBeagle posted:

Sounds like a neat option; you against the world. :black101: Can't wait until it eventually gets patched.

Still wish you had that option even if you had a backer. Sometimes I just want to set the world in flames :black101:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Wiz posted:

And sure, if it happens to us I'll probably retcon it.

So why did you default to the status quo, instead of forcing one of those two?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Friend Commuter posted:

My guess is they didn't have time to construct and test the events so they had the crises end without any action.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Friend Commuter posted:

Click through the quote-response chain between Wiz and me and you'll find a post where he says it wasn't supposed to stay in the code but they didn't have time to fix it. Around software project deadlines, sometimes you just have to decide which bugs to leave.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 6: Crisis (1850 - 1855)

Following the guidance of the Shura, the government begins to implement a series of measures to strengthen Anatolia's army and increase the pace of its industrialization, with an eye towards carving out an influence sphere in the Middle East. First in order is a recruiting program in the eastern provinces, offering a generous sign-up fee to any able-bodied man who's willing to put on a uniform and join the army.

New allies are also sought out to aid Anatolia with its expansionist ambitions.

Education funding is increased, and the accumulated savings are invested into the construction of railroads across the breadth of the country.

While Anatolia reforms, the crisis over Transylvania continues to heat up, with all previously neutral Great Powers choosing their sides.

In the end, four Great Powers are lined up on each side, with Spain, Italy and the Netherlands backing Great Britain and Burgundy, Germany and Bavaria siding with Russia. The diplomatic talks are deadlocked, and rather than discuss solutions, both sides are drawing up plans to humiliate and disarm the other side.

In summer of 1850, the situation reaches its inevitable conclusion and war breaks out between the two massive alliances.

Anatolia is not asked to join the war, and as Europe erupts into a bloodbath on a scale not seen since the Revolutionary Wars, the Kral government easily wins re-election.

Netherlands, surrounded on all sides by hostile powers, quickly turns into a battlefield. The Russian bloc, using their territorial contingency to concentrate their forces, score several early victories and begin making plans for a partition of the Dutch state.

Great Britain, fearing the complete annexation of their Dutch allies, quickly sue for peace. The terms are harsh - the annexation of Dutch Friesland by Germany, and disarmament of the British army. Transylvania, of course, remains a Hungarian province.

The British defeat changes the diplomatic positions of Europe once again, with Russia resasserting its dominance and Germany increasingly being viewed as a first-rate power, even as Spain and Italy continue to decline in standing.

The modernization of Anatolia continues with the introduction of stock markets and the establishment of a Political Faculty at Tabriz University.

The soldiers recruited over the past four years are organized into brigades, briging the size of the standing army up to almost 100,000 men.

Italy, desiring an easy victory to end its string of defeats, invades and annexes the Kingdom of Bhutan in 1853.

In North America, New England is undergoing a series of coups and civil wars, with different political factions seizing power in the republic and being subsequently overthrown in quick succession. In a desperate attempt to stabilize the nation, a young man by the name of Charles Sumner gathers together an army of disgruntled monarchists and British volunteers and declares himself the King of New England.

For two years he manages to achieve stability through force of arms, until a late November day in 1854 when a group of unknown assailants force their way into the Town Hall of Boston, where the King is addressing a council of assembled mayors, and beat him to death with bludgeons and canes. With civil war looming once more, and leading families unable to agree on a successor to Sumner, the New Englanders turn to the President of Missouri, Jefferson Davis, who is offered the crown of New England on the condition that he use the Missouran army to maintain the peace. After some deliberation, Davis agrees and proclaims himself the King of America, a large but fragile state divided in two by the Cherokee Confederacy and rife with unrest in its eastern provinces.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 28, 2013

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
For anyone wondering what the hell just happened in America, Pan-American Nationalists overthrew the New England government and offered the crown in the gutter to Missouri, who accepted. I think my explanation makes more sense though.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

That's just pure magic.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jesus Christ what the gently caress. That country better be destroyed. It is the worst. Kill it now, kill it in the next crisis, get rid of the ugly borders and all absolute monarchies.

Also, that's an Absolute Monarchy ruled by the Democratic Party. :ironicat:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was thinking about this LP not 5 minutes ago and lo and behold!

I'm sure i'm biased, but only seeing periodic glimpses of what's going on in North America makes it that much harder to look away when things happen. I really want to see where this goes.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
Jesus, the Netherlands got steamrolled and looks really weird with it missing Friesland.
I wonder if/when war breaks out with the Kingdom of America (wtf) if the Cherokee can hold their own against them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

MythLisp posted:

Jesus, the Netherlands got steamrolled and looks really weird with it missing Freisland.
I wonder if/when war breaks out with the Kingdom of America (wtf) if the Cherokee can hold their own against them.

America and Cherokee are actually allies, hilariously enough.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Wiz posted:

America and Cherokee are actually allies, hilariously enough.

:pwn:

Interesting to see how that area is going to pan out in updates to come, united against the other regional powers.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Wiz posted:

For anyone wondering what the hell just happened in America, Pan-American Nationalists overthrew the New England government and offered the crown in the gutter to Missouri, who accepted. I think my explanation makes more sense though.

Well, that strikes me as a brilliant mistake.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Well, that strikes me as a brilliant mistake.

Charles Sumner thought he was the king of America, but it was just a boulevard of broken canes.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
All the amazingness of America is irrelevant compared to the fate that has fallen The World's Greatest And Most Prosperous Nation, the Glorious Thunder-Dragon Land. :(

Seriously, though, it'll be interesting to see if the American-Cherokee alliance survives Missouri getting much fatter in power.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

Greenland Bay Ice Packers

Well done Wiz :golfclap:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!
Sweet! I hope Monarchist America makes it to the end of the game! :911:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

quote:

Charles Sumner

quote:

beat him to death with bludgeons and canes

God drat it, Wiz.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The king of America better enjoy the half-decade he's got left, because soon it'll be time for His Imperial Majesty Norton I, Emperor of America, Protector of Mexico, to take his rightful place on the throne.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Veryslightlymad posted:

God drat it, Wiz.

Hahahaha yea that was a great loving touch. RIP Sumner.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

"Oh hey a crisis war to release some rump state, Russia continues eating everything, Britain actually loses in V2 for once. Interesting stuff--"

*Suddenly Kingdom of America*

:stare: :gonk: :D

I don't know what's happening anymore but whatever it is it's pure gold. Whenever you release this mod forming the KoA and bringing Cherokee and Mexico to their knees will be my first priority :black101:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

YeOldeButchere posted:

The king of America better enjoy the half-decade he's got left, because soon it'll be time for His Imperial Majesty Norton I, Emperor of America, Protector of Mexico, to take his rightful place on the throne.

Well, now there's something that will make me sad if it does not come to pass.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

YeOldeButchere posted:

America is united as an empire, several kings and princes successfully lobby for self-governed jurisdiction over their own provinces while recognizing the sovereignty of the Emperor, and late 1800's America becomes the 19th/20th Century HRE :allears:

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Knowing only what I can deduce from his wikipedia page, Sumner doesn't seem like the monarchist type.

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a shame Germany's wargoals were realised instead of Burgundy's. But I wonder if the new American Kingdom will use this as an opportunity to take Britain's colonies in the region.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

wukkar posted:

Knowing only what I can deduce from his wikipedia page, Sumner doesn't seem like the monarchist type.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find *any* prominent monarchists in New England in 1854. I mostly just wanted to make a cane fight reference.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
He grew up in a very different historical and political context from our own. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The winning coalition in the last crisis is basically unbeatable on land. Unless England can turn Burgundy or Germany against the other three there's basically no chance for them to win major European conflicts.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 7: Rising Star (1855 - 1860)

As his first action, the King of America begins to recruit soldiers, rapidly mobilizing a strong army drawn from citizens of both Missouri and New England.

He chooses the New England capital of Boston for the capital of America, installing himself in the apartments of the late King Sumner.

From his new position of strength, he reaches out to the British and the Dutch and begin to negotiate the sale of their remaining colonial possessions in North America. Weaked from the Romanian Crisis, neither nation decides to risk war over worthless swampland, and agree to sell.

Next, Davis presents the Cherokee with an ultimatum: Agree to a large-scale land-swap, whereby the Cherokee secede their northern, largely non-Cherokee territories in exchange for the sparsely populated territories of Arkanasas and Louisiana, or face war. With no allies and not daring to test their ability to resist the much larger American army, the Cherokee fold.

Back in Europe, another crisis is brewing, as the Batavians in South America seek to break free from the embattered Dutch with the support of Germany. Opposing them is the rising power of Sweden, who are eager to prove themselves the equal of the other Great Powers.

Sides are quickly chosen, with Burgundy and Spain backing Germany, and Russia and Italy taking the side of the Netherlands. Only Bavaria remains indecisive for a long time, before finally placing their support behind their German brothers.

Once again, negotiations fails and Europe erupts into a Great Power War, though this time the sides seem more evenly matched.

The Netherlands, having the misfortune of once again being surrouded by enemies, is quickly occupied.

Italy is next to be invaded, while a Russian counter-invasion of Germany is beaten back by the combined forces of Germany and Burgundy.

With Russia in full retreat, German armies pushing on Moscow and Spanish armies making landfall in Skåne, the Swedes give up the fight and give in to all demands, accepting full independence for Batavia.

As the Batavian Crisis ends, the Kral government is busy planning their own war, with the aim of reconquering Aleppo, the exile state in which the Daei dynasty continues to rule and hold pretensions to the throne of Azerbaijan.

The excuses and propaganda created to justify the war are effective enough, if a bit transparently expansionistic, and war is declared in early 1857.

The poorly trained and equipped Persian army proves little match for the modernized Anatolian army, and the main body of the Persian forces is wiped out in a quick succession of bloody battles.

With the Persian armies destroyed or retreating, Anatolian troops begin to occupy the border territories, advancing steadily deeper into Persian territory.

Seeing a chance to expand his territories, the Khwarizimian Khan launches an attack on Persia from the east.

1857 turns to 1858 and then 1859, as the war fought in a slow, grinding succession of sieges and occupations, the only real resistance being from rebellious militias that are equally hostile to the Anatolians as to their Persian masters.

After two years of war the Persians, bankrupt and utterly defeated, finally surrender on Anatolian terms. Aleppo is annexed, along with the Persian province of Dayr az Zor, and the entire Transjordan territory that Persia seized from Anatolia's Syrian allies is returned to its rightful owner. In addition, all male members of the Daei dynasty aged fourteen and up are turned over to Anatolia and imprisoned awaiting trial, though a few Daeis manage to escape south into Egypt. As the victorious soldiers return home, the government announces a week of celebration in honor of the victory, the returning heroes, and the glory of the Anatolian Republic.

While Anatolia has been fighting in Persia, the Kingdom of America has also been engaged in a war, proving its supremacy in North America by invading and defeating Borealia and retaking territories lost from Missouri decades ago.

As railroads penetrate Anatolia's most remote regions, new factories spring up in its cities and victorious soldiers parade on the streets of its capital, it seems as though the star of the Anatolian Republic is in ascendance.

The only question is whether Anatolia will continue to rise into the ranks of the Great Powers or whether is it simply setting itself up for another, much greater fall.

Election

Technologies Researched

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Great update!

... Italy was unfairly quite severely weakened in the conversion from Crusader Kings to EU3 though, whereas most great powers were strengthened.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Readingaccount posted:

Great update!

... Italy was unfairly weakened in the conversion from Crusader Kings to EU3 though.

Do you mean EU3 to V2? They didn't start out weak, they've just been making rather poor choices since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I meant way back at the end of Crusader Kings when they had land in the upper Po. There was one other great power that lost a few provinces IIRC (Italy lost about 6-8 EU-size provinces IIRC, though 4-6 them were made vassals), though most gained a few, and a couple of them several.

They have been making horrible choices recently though!

... oooh! Kingdom of America!!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 28, 2013

• Locked thread