Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

BklynBruzer posted:

Why would Sniper have them, anyway?

I have every file ever made. All of them, including RoA 3.0, the AOD and DW version of Hohenzollern, and the CK mod for the next LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Will we be getting the mod today? I'm really excited to test it out.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Hey Wiz what did you change to make the colony name change mod invisible? I can't comprehend the massive wall of code that is that mod.

e: :dance:

BrainMeats fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 17, 2011

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

BrainMeats posted:

Hey Wiz what did you change to make the colony name change mod invisible? I can't comprehend the massive wall of code that is that mod.

See for yourself

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fiction posted:

Will we be getting the mod today? I'm really excited to test it out.

No, it will be released after I'm done with EU3. Don't want people getting ahead of me. :v:

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

No, it will be released after I'm done with EU3. Don't want people getting ahead of me. :v:

Nuts, and I was getting psyched to play Wales this weekend. Here's to hoping you have this strange urge to play EU3 nonstop.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

BrainMeats posted:

e: :dance:

Oh man, colony name changer in Miscmods would be so great. Does it include arabic for Shattered Europe shenanigans?

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Oh man, colony name changer in Miscmods would be so great. Does it include arabic for Shattered Europe shenanigans?
I stuck Colony Name Change Mod in my default directory, so it works with all the mods since it isn't the kind of thing that's likely to break poo poo. It doesn't have Arabic though, only Turkish.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

theblastizard posted:

I stuck Colony Name Change Mod in my default directory, so it works with all the mods since it isn't the kind of thing that's likely to break poo poo. It doesn't have Arabic though, only Turkish.

Oh well, i didn't know that worked, but now i'll do it. Sucks it doesn't have arabic tough.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I think it should have it, if only because Morocco is one of the most fun colonial nations. It doesn't get enough colonists though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 1: Prologue

Azerbaijan, year 822 of the faithful, christian year 1400. A small country on the Caspian sea, poor in wealth but with a rich legacy. The Najjar dynasty of Azerbaijan, inheritors to the previous Ildeguzid ruling dynasty, milk the prestige of their predecessors for all it is worth. Since the Ildeguzids are still remembered across the Islamic world for reversing a century of defeats at the hands of Christian Crusaders, that legacy is worth quite a bit and many Muslim dynasties, particularily in Egypt and Syria, also lay claim to the Ildeguzid legacy, even as an offshoot of Ildeguzids continues to rule in Sunni Khwarizm.

To the west, Azerbaijan is bordered by the Jamilids, an Armenian Muslim dynasty that emerged from Yerevan and conquered large parts of Georgia from the former Mongol vassals that previously controlled the area. It also shares a border with Armenia, an Oriental Orthodox Kingdom that rules over a large and wealthy territory, and Kurdistan, a small Emirate wedged between Persia and Syria. Further west, the Greek Kingdoms of Thessalonica and Nicaea hold most Greek lands between them, but Constantinople, the ancient capital of the East Roman Empire, is under the control of the Latin Empire, a puppet stated created by the Kingdom of Italy. The conquest of Byzantium has shifted trade routes, so that trade is once again dominated by the small island of Rhodes, where an independent Greek Republic rules.

To the north stretches the vast territory of the Golden Horde, the last bastion of Paganism in Europe. Beyond the Golden Horde, the Russian Principalities squabble and feud with each other.

To the south lies the Great Powers of the Middle East: Egypt, Syria and Persia. The Abbasid Caliphs cling on to a small territory composed of the area around Baghdad, while Arabia remains divided into feuding Bedouin states.

Europe is fractured, dominated by the Franco-Germanic Holy Roman Empire and the crowns of Burgundy and Italy. In Iberia, the Muslims of Al-Andalus cling to a precarious position, their survival entirely dependent on the continued feuding between Castille and Aragon.

In North Africa, the Berber states dominate, waging their infamous piracy campaigns against Mediterranean ships and coasts.

To the East lies the Sea of Grass, where Khwarizm, Qurighar, Bukhara and other nomadic Khanates reign. The Timurid successor states of Kabul, Transoxiana and Baluchistan form a chain of buffer states between Persia and India, where a few Muslim states control the central interior of the subcontinent, surrounded by Hindu princes.

Azerbaijan is governed according to the principles of a Despotic Sultanate - a vaguely defined government where the actual power of the Sultan largely depends on his personal and military influence.

Savtekin I Najjar, the first of the Najjar line, holds power. He is a reformer who is eager to use Azerbaijan's cultural and bureaucratic tradition to build a strong state that makes the most of its limited resources. However, his own administrative talents are limited, so he largely relies on the advice of his courtiers in executing said reforms.

Azerbaijan's economy is poor. Manufacturing is underdeveloped and trade neglected, and nearly all its income comes from land taxes and the revenue of crown lands.

Azerbaijan is a Shi'a state of the Twelver denomination, and its legal traditions are strongly rooted in Sharia law.

A fairly centralized state for its age, Azerbaijan is nonetheless dominated by the aristocracy, and its commoners are firmly under the thumb of the ruling class. Legal and religious traditions are valued higher than innovation, and the Azerbaijanity military traditions prefer offensive warfare over defensive.

The Ildeguzids had a glorious legacy as warriors and patrons of art, and as former ministers of the state the Najjars have added their own bureaucratic expertise to the mix.

Lacking any coasts except on the Caspian Sea, there is little incentive for Azerbaijan to keep up with the latest advances in shipwrighting and navigation.

Azerbaijan's standing army is small, no more than 3000 men, and the court advises Savtekin to begin recruitment of troops until the army contains at least 10000 men.

Savtekin next turns his attention to the education system, ordering a number of reforms in Islamic schools to bring the literacy rate up among Azerbaija's future bureaucrats.

His efforts are rewarded, as a particularily promising young statesman is impressed enough by the reformst to travel to Tabriz and offer Savtekin his services.

He also taps into Azerbaijan's cultural heritage, summoning a local Sufi philosopher to court.

As a small state surrounded by Great Powers, it is clear that Azerbaijan will need allies to survive.

With that in mind Savtekin turns to diplomacy, securing an alliance with the Khan of Khwarizm against the Golden Horde. The Emir of Kurdistan also offers Azerbaijan an alliance, which is accepted.

Egypt offers Azerbaijan an alliance, but being so distant it is doubtful that they would be any real help against a Persian or Mongol invasion, so the offer is declined.

Just as well, as war immediately breaks out between Syria and Egypt, with Egypt declaring war on Syria over the former's unprovoked raids across the Abbasid border.

Rafiq Sabiri, the young Statesman that travelled to Tabriz to advise Savtekin, criticizes him for the slow pace of his reforms in front of the Persian ambassador. Though Savtekin is humiliated, he swallows his pride and agrees to increase his efforts.

The peaceful reforms are soon interrupted by dire news: The Golden Horde has invaded Khwarizm. Though Azerbaijan allied Khwarizm in the hopes they could protect Azerbaijan, and not the other way around, he sees no way to back out of the alliance without discrediting his nascent ruling dynasty.

As such, the alliance honored, and after decades of nearly unbroken peace, Azerbaijan once again finds itself at war.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 3, 2011

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Time to capture Astrakhan.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Clearly, the option to form the Zhen Dynasty means we must. Onwards!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Something is awesome about Azerbaijan, Khwarzim, and Azerbaijan taking on the pagans of the Golden Horde.

When you win, please make sure that Astrakhan is freed and protected. I don't want the jews in Azerbaijan, but we can befriend (exploit) them for money in the future in our "tributes" (Meaningless wars of bank draining)

Also, Kangsu is the rightful controller of the Zhen Dynasty. :colbert:

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

Time to capture Astrakhan.

Yesssss, glorious trade...

I, um, mean we must protect our cousins to the east. Yes. That's it.

And let's not forget the Georgians, our old friends to the west. Their time will come...

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Yesssss, glorious trade...

I, um, mean we must protect our cousins to the east. Yes. That's it.

And let's not forget the Georgians, our old friends to the west. Their time will come...

No heretical jew is a friend of the Azeris.

We clearly must liberate (subjugate) them as our vassal for all that delicious money. Especially since we have no core on the COT and I don't want our trade to tank this early.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

SolidPolonium posted:

No heretical jew is a friend of the Azeris.

We clearly must liberate (subjugate) them as our vassal for all that delicious money. Especially since we have no core on the COT and I don't want our trade to tank this early.

Perhaps we can give them some breathing time and then when they are sufficiently liberated we can educate them under our enlightened rule. That would surely be more profitable. For them, I mean, obviously.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Perhaps we can give them some breathing time and then when they are sufficiently liberated we can educate them under our enlightened rule. That would surely be more profitable. For them, I mean, obviously.

Of course. We must contain them, as there are many pagans that don't even follow the true god around them. If we don't, their heresy might spread.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I, for one, look forward to Azerbaijanese China.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
So Kangsu is in our culture group?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

theblastizard posted:

They're uighurs and muslims so yes.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

theblastizard posted:

Yeah, we're both Turkics.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What's all this "Capture Astrakhan" stuff? Looking at our comparative forces, we'll be lucky to get out with a white peace.

On the other hand, the sooner we get conquered, the sooner we get to play the mod ourselves :v:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

What's all this "Capture Astrakhan" stuff? Looking at our comparative forces, we'll be lucky to get out with a white peace.

On the other hand, the sooner we get conquered, the sooner we get to play the mod ourselves :v:

Do not question the right and might of the Celestial Emperor of Zhen.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

SolidPolonium posted:

Do not question the right and might of the Celestial Emperor of Zhen.

poo poo. We're the new Bhutan, aren't we?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Agent Interrobang posted:

poo poo. We're the new Bhutan, aren't we?

We better be, those updates were hilarious.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also, here is the world map again (its a little outdated, was done pre splitting up Japan, but only a little)
:nws:Work safe but huge:nws:

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
If they go into a succession crisis mid war we might be able to get Astrakhan.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does Azerbaijan start with any non-owned cores?

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Our alliance arent to far away from matching the Golden Horde's strength, but how much of that force lies in our hand? And how retarded is the AI now a days?

Cause if the bulk of the alliance's forces us ours, we might be able to beat the Horde if they are a bit derpy.

On the other hand Wiz, how much will you actually exploit the AI's stupidity? Will you cheese it for all its worth, or roleplay it out and do things a bit more realistically?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Does Azerbaijan start with any non-owned cores?

Nope.

Hutter posted:

Our alliance arent to far away from matching the Golden Horde's strength, but how much of that force lies in our hand? And how retarded is the AI now a days?

Cause if the bulk of the alliance's forces us ours, we might be able to beat the Horde if they are a bit derpy.

On the other hand Wiz, how much will you actually exploit the AI's stupidity? Will you cheese it for all its worth, or roleplay it out and do things a bit more realistically?

I have tweaked the warfare system and AI heavily to compensate for their stupidity. I will avoid any obvious cheesing but i shouldn't have to restrain myself too hard.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

We view Sibir as a natural part of our nation?

...Why?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

We view Sibir as a natural part of our nation?

...Why?

Did you misread 'rival' as 'part'?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

Did you misread 'rival' as 'part'?

What, no, that would be redicul- oh. Yes. Whoops.

Any reason why we view them as rivals? They do seem quite a bit away and I can't remember any interaction.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I'll be very amused if Swabia becomes a major player in germany. It will make me smile. What will also make me smile is Al-andalus surviving to vicky.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also, in case anyone is wondering how warfare system is different:
- No assaults. The AI handles these far too poorly. You have to siege provinces, which means a slower pace of warfare.
- Scorching is far less effective.
- AI gets to cheat with attrition, being only affected at half the normal rate.
- Unless you're heavily tricked out with military ideas, you will get a constant (but slow) rate of war exhaustion at war.
- Grabbing a province without a valid CB costs 10 BB. CBs reduce this massively.
- Vassalizing without a valid CB costs 10 BB. CBs reduce this massively.
- Annexing without a valid CB costs a minimum of 20 BB. CBs reduce this massively.

The gist of it is that warfare is slower and costlier in terms of war exhaustion and manpower, and you have to actually follow the war goals in your CB or pay a hefty BB cost. I've added a lot more conquest missions and such though, and you can use fabricate claims to forge cores, so it doesn't mean you can't expand.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

What, no, that would be redicul- oh. Yes. Whoops.

Any reason why we view them as rivals? They do seem quite a bit away and I can't remember any interaction.

They're in our general region and about equal in size and power.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wiz posted:

you can use fabricate claims to forge cores

:hellyeah:

The thing I disliked the most about HttT was that you could only try to enforce a personal union with a spy Casus Belli. Thanks for this.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

:hellyeah:

The thing I disliked the most about HttT was that you could only try to enforce a personal union with a spy Casus Belli. Thanks for this.

In general, it's not possible to cheese your way to unions with half the world. Claiming Thrones won't give you a CB and you can't fabricate union CB. The only CB that will let you form a personal union is if a country is your own dynasty and their legitimacy tanks. Otherwise you have to form unions through marriages and luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Yay, I can't wait to see where our course takes us in our quest for the world.

• Locked thread