Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

i81icu812 posted:

Hahaha the Balkans are such as mess. Are there even more warlords in China now?

Major wtf @ Kabul holding Bhutan and Lhasa. Aragonese Spain, huh? Basque supremacy!

Aragon is Cataln not Basque.

Also being a weak backwater in Victoria would make things interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Proposition Joe posted:

Not in Victoria 2 at least, where it's just plain boring.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

Aragon is Cataln not Basque.

Navarre still clings to existence against the Catalonian menace.

It would be interesting only because it hasn't been showcased here yet. It kinda sucks to play as.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
One of these days will George Orwell write Homage to Castillia or Homage to Andalucia?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Al-Andalus still has hope. There's still time for a come from behind victory. Al-Andalus will ally with Navarra and defeat Aragon, just you wait.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am glad there is a update but I am worried about where we are going. The wind has been taken out of my sails since we don't own Georgia anymore. Wiz, your writing is wonderful and I am happy with the social advances we have made.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think the insanity of our time in Crusader Kings spoiled us. Wiz stated at the beginning that this was supposed to be us struggling to survive against aggressive Western powers, as we're trying to do here. So I think we should just relax and enjoy the ride. Who knows- maybe we'll end up inheriting half of the mideast again!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Al-Andalus can always escape to the new world!

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!
Keep in mind with vicky 2, wiz isn't playing just the base game so being a regional backwater would hopefully be not as boring as it is currently after all the tweaking he'll do.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I hope Morocco does more then just conquer north Africa. In my MiscMod game all Morocco did was conquer north Africa, and sat there until the 1650s. then Europe ran a train on them.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Patter Song posted:

One of these days will George Orwell write Homage to Castillia or Homage to Andalucia?

Actually, I have no clue if Aragon in this timeline is dominated by the central Iberian Aragonese or the Catalonians on the coast due to CK shenanigans. He could still write Homage to Catalonia, but 'Spanish' would be Aragonese instead of Castilian.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Man, we really need some better allies and some actual military clout. Start conquering some territory so our excellent tolerance ratings can start working their lowering revoltrisk/better taxes magic.

Wiz outside of your historical roleplay where can we really look to expand/increase our income and prestige?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Armenia!!! :argh:

Clearly the problem is the fact that the three orthodox powers are steadfast allies...they all should be fighting between themselves to claim the glory, heritage and prestige of the Byzantine Empire, or alternatively trying to claim Latin Empire for themselves ad fighting Italy...not attacking glorious Azerbaijan. :(

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So is it just me, or has Portugal been colonizing already?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yes, in the Caribbean.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DarkCrawler posted:

Armenia!!! :argh:

Clearly the problem is the fact that the three orthodox powers are steadfast allies...they all should be fighting between themselves to claim the glory, heritage and prestige of the Byzantine Empire, or alternatively trying to claim Latin Empire for themselves ad fighting Italy...not attacking glorious Azerbaijan. :(

Thessalonica and Nicaia should have events causing a drop in relations between them, in order for them to not be merry ol' friends. However, I think in this case the problem is that Armenia is a third power (who has no stake to Byzantium), with the same religion and in close proximity with the other two, so that it allies itself with both others. That way, even if Thessalonica and Nicaia aren't directly allied, they may both come to Armenia's side.

Though to be fair when I first looked at how the scenario was set up, I did think that Armenia's role would be isolationist towards the west, playing the role of the neutral eastward-looking power. Well, it's got half of that down at least...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Eh, if Portugal, Castille/Leon and Aragon got along relatively well to gang up on the Iberian Moors, I don't see why the post-Byzantine states can't also be best friends.

If anything, it seems more odd to me that none of them would have made a move for Constantinoples; as an alliance block they should be more than able to hold off Italy. Unless Italy also has some powerful allies...?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I am not playing to lose. The big reason I'm having trouble is a combination of a ruler who dislikes war (and has crappy MIL) and three things in warfare: No assaults, severely reduced effect of scorching and far less attrition on AI.

What these three things mean is that I can't just abuse the AI's tendency to siege with megastacks, I can't scorch my way to victory the way I did in Hohen, and I can't just grab some quick land to peace out by assaulting. It plugs the major ways you can game the AI and makes it so that there are in fact situations where you can't beat the AI's numerical superiority with tactics alone. This was one of them.

It may be AI cheating, but it sure makes the game more fun.

i81icu812 posted:

Actually, I have no clue if Aragon in this timeline is dominated by the central Iberian Aragonese or the Catalonians on the coast due to CK shenanigans. He could still write Homage to Catalonia, but 'Spanish' would be Aragonese instead of Castilian.

Catalonia is dominant. Barcelona is the capital.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Thessalonica and Nicaia should have events causing a drop in relations between them, in order for them to not be merry ol' friends. However, I think in this case the problem is that Armenia is a third power (who has no stake to Byzantium), with the same religion and in close proximity with the other two, so that it allies itself with both others. That way, even if Thessalonica and Nicaia aren't directly allied, they may both come to Armenia's side.

Though to be fair when I first looked at how the scenario was set up, I did think that Armenia's role would be isolationist towards the west, playing the role of the neutral eastward-looking power. Well, it's got half of that down at least...

Nicaea and Thessalonica being friends makes perfect sense as long as neither of them controls Constantinople.

Anyway they're not allied with each other. They're both allied with Armenia is all.

LordBaxter posted:

Man, we really need some better allies and some actual military clout. Start conquering some territory so our excellent tolerance ratings can start working their lowering revoltrisk/better taxes magic.

Wiz outside of your historical roleplay where can we really look to expand/increase our income and prestige?

Golden Horde is a very tempting target right now, and we have a mission to vassalize Kurdistan.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

Eh, if Portugal, Castille/Leon and Aragon got along relatively well to gang up on the Iberian Moors, I don't see why the post-Byzantine states can't also be best friends.

If anything, it seems more odd to me that none of them would have made a move for Constantinoples; as an alliance block they should be more than able to hold off Italy. Unless Italy also has some powerful allies...?

There was an attempt earlier but just occupying the Latin Empire doesn't do it since they're a vassal.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Better just hope that when Aram bites it, there is still some Golden Horde left to gobble.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dr. Tough posted:

Where is this "ruler personality" mod?

In Fun2eu :colbert:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Your new siege system removes the "Wall Breach" event, correct? Because I was wondering what would happen if you made that necessary to launch an assault.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

Your new siege system removes the "Wall Breach" event, correct? Because I was wondering what would happen if you made that necessary to launch an assault.

Yeah, breaches are hidden.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just discovered that the ruler of doomed OPM Castille is none other than Isabel I, who isn't far removed in time from the real Isabel I.

... only, this Isabel is a 3/3/3 who has a 7/7/7 heir that's been waiting in the wings for 20 years.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Wiz posted:

Just discovered that the ruler of doomed OPM Castille is none other than Isabel I, who isn't far removed in time from the real Isabel I.

... only, this Isabel is a 3/3/3 who has a 7/7/7 heir that's been waiting in the wings for 20 years.

Castille ignores a doomed OPM Aragon basically always in vanilla. I can imagine Aragon ignoring a dooomed OPM Castille.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i like the embattled nature of azerbaijan. I like the balance in this LP a lot, in general

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'll be sad if Aragon forms Spain, you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a regular bogstandard Castille-formed Spain. Aragon-formed Spain should have a separate tag which chooses different national ideas since it'd probably be more focused on the Mediterranean than on the Atlantic.

(:goonsay:)

e; How does Iberia look culturally? If there aren't any major changes from the EU3 Vanilla setup then Catalans will be outnumbered by the various other cultures they have conquered to a larger extent than Castilians were in IRL Spain, which can cause tensions in the future.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 1, 2011

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Who is Cherson throwing their hat in with?

Honestly this is an incredibly interesting scenario for the various things happening in this world. The Byzantine successor states are all having their own politics, being held together tentatively by Armenia, the tolerant power that has a streak for reclaiming it's old territories and reclaiming it's days of glory over all Armenians, most importantly Antioch and Yerevan I'd imagine. The greek states meanwhile are unable to take back Constantinople, instead slowly building their power up, while Cherson stews in lands not its own over subjects not necessarily greek as they look North to possibly grow so their deluded emperors can claim a new roman empire.

China is in a state of total war, states allying with others and factions fighting as the states get eaten with others, while the Uigher armies, boosted by Timur's tactics, want a piece of the pie, with Kangsu and Qurighar looming from the west.

The Iberian peninsula was split into war over control, with Aragon and Castille working against the Reconquista for their own glory of being "the true enders of Islam in Iberia" with Al-Andalus in a precarious position. Aragon currently has the upper hand but they are one revolt away from a Castillian uprising and another 100 years of in-fighting and a divided Iberia.

Kabul meanwhile is striking terror into northern India, but instead of going for the throat is taking control and the loyalties of the gurka forces before it forms it's own grand empire.

Miss any other interesting stories?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SolidPolonium posted:

Miss any other interesting stories?

Huge war kangoroo arquebusiers fighting dinosaur-mounted lances for supremacy over the wild jungles of Australia.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

theblastizard posted:

Castille ignores a doomed OPM Aragon basically always in vanilla. I can imagine Aragon ignoring a dooomed OPM Castille.

Naw, they have missions to wipe them out.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kainser posted:

I'll be sad if Aragon forms Spain, you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a regular bogstandard Castille-formed Spain. Aragon-formed Spain should have a separate tag which chooses different national ideas since it'd probably be more focused on the Mediterranean than on the Atlantic.

(:goonsay:)

e; How does Iberia look culturally? If there aren't any major changes from the EU3 Vanilla setup then Catalans will be outnumbered by the various other cultures they have conquered to a larger extent than Castilians were in IRL Spain, which can cause tensions in the future.

Cultures are the same except that there's more Andalusians.

I'd be fine with making an Aragon-Spain tag if someone wants to come up with a name and flag for it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Considering the Spain COA is one of those horrible fusion COAs, just put the Aragonese COA in the dominant position (like the Scottish-formed GB puts St. Andrew on top of St. George).

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

oystertoadfish posted:

i like the embattled nature of azerbaijan. I like the balance in this LP a lot, in general

I'm with you on this. It makes a very welcome change to LPs of tiny nations becoming massive empires through easily won wars.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chapter 9: Nation Building (1470 - 1480)

The military defeats, and perhaps his approaching old age, have taken something of the fire out of Aram. Where once he battled corruption and inefficiency tirelessly, he now simply lets it slide.

Despite the urgings of his heir, he refuses to make an example out of an army of Georgian rebels that attacks the royal gold mines in Alania, choosing instead to simply buy them off.

His inactivity triggers a political crisis and forces Aydogdu to step up and assume many of the responsibilities of his father.

The first cracks show in the Greek-Armenian alliances as Nicaea attacks Italy and its ally Thessalonica. Armenia sides with Nicaea, bringing Thessalonica to war with both its former allies. Unfortunately, the ten-year truce between Armenia and Azerbaijan makes Aydogdu unable to take advantage of the situation.

Constantinople is occupied and Thessalonica is defeated and forced to cede Adrianople.

War also erupts between Aragon and Al-Andalus, where the latter is swiftly defeated and forced to cede large tracts of territory.

The Flemish too seem to be engaged in nation building, attacking Brabant and seizing most of their remaining territory.

The Schism continues unresolved with Italy too busy in Greece to deal with the Roman Pope's repeated bulls of excommunication and interdiction.

With the consent of his father, Aydogdu enacts reforms that strengthens the power of the Sultan at the expense of the provinces, triggering revolts in Azerbaijan and Alania.

The revolts are swiftly and brutally surpressed.

By 1478, it seems the Alanians have finally accepted being under Azeri rule and the decades of separatist unrest largely comes to an end.

Later the same year, a project started by Aram some twenty years earlier to rebuild Tabriz into a modern city with wide streets, public baths and large libraries and schools finally sees frutition, after being interrupted twice by war. The new capital is said to be the greatest city in the Caucasus, and draws in scholars and philosophers from all over the Islamic world.

Egypt, having grown increasingly belligerent towards Syria in recent years, severs their alliance with Azerbaijan, a step believed by many to be a precursor to war with Syria.

Throughout the decade, the construction of fortifications has continued unabated, and by 1479 construction begins on the final border fort.

In August of 1479, the Armenian-Greek alliance collapses completely as Armenia invades Cherson, bringing them to war with Nicaea.

Upon hearing the news of this war, Aygodu marches to his father's study, presenting him with an ultimatum: Either he will declare war on Armenia, or Aydodgu will rally the army around him and seize the throne. Aram reluctantly relents, and war is declared.

It seems the chance to avenge past defeats has finally come.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 7, 2011

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Let's show the Armenians what Azeris are really capable of. :black101:

At the rate Aragon is expanding, I doubt all their gains will last. The AI just isn't that good at dealing with lots of non-cored provinces.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

At the rate Aragon is expanding, I doubt all their gains will last. The AI just isn't that good at dealing with lots of non-cored provinces.

This isn't vanilla.

Not to say they won't possibly collapse, but its not that likely.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is it just me, or has Muscovy started colonizing the Siberian TI?

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

We got the Georgian culture? Great. We are one step closer to out-tolerating Armenia.

We will claim the Caucasus, once believed as a pillar of the Earth. And that is what we shall be.

(Technically if we take the Armenian Caucasus lands, we'd only own the South Caucasus. The area above us is also the Caucasus. Still, it'd be a might feat to unite such a geographically and ethnically diverse place in this period. Being tolerant as gently caress makes good sense in the region, what with so many different people living here with so many different lifestyles)

EDIT: Who's that also colonising the Carribean? Aragon?

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Portugal is working fast on their colonization and I see Aragón in the Caribbean too.

Does Morocco have missions for colonization in other continent besides Africa? Can Al-Andalus escape to the New World? :ohdear:

• Locked thread