Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

So under Semisalic Gavelkind when our boy-Sultan dies and if he has multiple male heirs, the Sultanate will be split under the titles, right? So we've the king title for Azerbaijan and Khwarizm, so Khwarizm under this situation would become it's own nation again. Does Azerbaijan still make any land gains at the end of this situation?

Any lands outside Persia would remain with Azerbaijan, so it depends entirely on future conquests. At the moment we have three king titles (Azerbaijan, Khwarizm, Persia) so we can potentially split into 3 kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Wiz posted:

Any lands outside Persia would remain with Azerbaijan, so it depends entirely on future conquests. At the moment we have three king titles (Azerbaijan, Khwarizm, Persia) so we can potentially split into 3 kingdoms.

Alright.

Guess it's time to kill some infidels and steal their land! Or steal it back! Whichever! :hist101:

I've never played Crusader Kings, is trade through the Silk Road reflected in anyway? I think there was some flow of trade through there at this point of time.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008
Are you planning on sticking with Gavelkind all through CK?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rejected Fate posted:

Alright.

Guess it's time to kill some infidels and steal their land! Or steal it back! Whichever! :hist101:

I've never played Crusader Kings, is trade through the Silk Road reflected in anyway? I think there was some flow of trade through there at this point of time.

Only in that some of the provinces along it are very rich.

Atsushogob posted:

Are you planning on sticking with Gavelkind all through CK?

Yes.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Oh man, this jihad is about to get real.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Wiz posted:

Yes.

Well this'll make campaigns interesting since most of our territory is in danger of disappearing if our ruler is too prolific and takes a Christian lance.

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

frankenfreak posted:

This being Crusader Kings, it will be fun to see how long it will last. :allears:

Which Shi'a? Twelver? Sevener? Ismaili? How can there be a true belief when we don't know who were the rightful Imams? :byodood:

Twelvers seems to be the most plausible...it is the majority Shia faith today, and the whole Ismaili fatih was likely discredited after Saladin's takeover of the Fatimids (though not entirely, they still exist today).

But it is possible for this King to be a Sevener. By Seveners, I'm assuming you mean those who are awaiting Muħammad ibn Ismā'īl al-Maktum, the Eight Imam to return, and do not believe in Ismailis' claim to represent Muħammad ibn Ismā'īl al-Maktum has already returned and formed the Fatimid Caliphate.

EDIT: Actually, no, a branch of the Ismailis (the "Nizaris") fled the Fatimid Caliphate during its last days and fled to Iran. There's enough time for an Ismaili Imam to be a puppet of a secular Shia government in this alternate history. The Nizaris today compose the majority of Ismailis.

EDIT2: Wiz in the chat says that this King is most likely a Twelver, following in line with OTL Azeris.

Servant fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 10, 2011

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Aww, seveners are the coolest. They get to follow around an invincible warlord at the end of the day. Until he gets defeated and it turns out they were wrong and everyone gets kind of :smith:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Have lots of sons, Wiz! Or set inheritance to allow females and watch things really fragment.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So let's say our current king dies and has two sons. One inherits Khwarizm and the other inherits Azerbaijan. Does the newly-formed Khwarizm Kingdom have some "default" set of laws, or does it have all the same laws as Azerbaijan? I can see our semisalic gavelkind doing a lot of long-term damage to the region if the latter is the case.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

quote:

sufi stuff
Sweet stuff, our Muslim Hippy Kingdom will be aw-

Wiz posted:

Sunni Islam seems to be failing everywhere in the Middle East. The last remaining Muslim Great Power, Khwarizm, is governed by Shiites. Wedged in between Khwarizm and Georgia, Kasim makes a radical decision to gain the goodwill of the Shah - he proclaims that the Ildeguzid dynasty has adopted Shiite Islam and that Ali was the true heir of the prophet.
Oh hell no.
MY IMMERSION

quote:

World Map

:aaaaa:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

So, who's going first? Jerusalem or Georgia?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

Jerusalem, then straight through to the Holy Land.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

It's called Crusader Kings for a reason.

Time to reclaim some holy land :c00l:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Jerusalem is still a bit intimidating. We should topple the pillars that support it. For now, the heathens of Georgia must die.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Georgia has taken land that belongs to Azerbaijan. Take those back and then some more to teach them a lesson.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Geez Wiz, are you sure you're going to surv- Oh... :psyduck: That was unexpected.

I'm sure this conversion to Shi'a is just until the world is prepared to know the might of Psychadelic Islam.

Wiz posted:

World Map

A new sultanate in Iberia, a strong HRE, mega-Jerusalem, Armenia... This game is going to be interesting.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 10, 2011

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'd like to claim full and complete credit for the blessings of Allah coming upon us for finally performing my duties in the call to prayer. :smug: Put thy faith in Allah and and submit unto him and He shall reward thee!

Speaking of which, best keep the good times rolling!

يا رب، افتح أنت شفتي، وفمي وتظهر عليها الثناء خاصتك
طوبى لك ، أيها الرب إلهنا وإله آبائنا،
إله إبراهيم وإله إسحق وإله يعقوب ،
إله عظيم ، عظيم ومقدس، والله العلي
الذي يمنح الشفقة المحبة، خالق كل شيء ،
الذي يذكر حسنات الآباء، والذي يجلب
المخلص لأبناء أبنائهم من أجل اسمه، في الحب
أيها الملك، المساعد، المنقذ والدرع
طوبى لك يا رب، درع إبراهيم

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...
The main security threat to all Muslims is the Crusader States. Removing them from the equation will make reclaiming the backward pagan province of Derbent much easier. Also, we have a truce with Georgia at the moment so we can't really declare war on Georgia right now anyway.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'd like to follow you with a fitting prayer, sayedy Tomn

الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل

Türkçe version:

Ben aşağı çaldı olsun
Ama tekrar ayağa kalkmasını
Beni tutmak için asla
Ben aşağı çaldı olsun
Beni tutmak için asla
Ben aşağı çaldı olsun
Beni tutmak için asla

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 10, 2011

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Servant posted:

The main security threat to all Muslims is the Crusader States. Removing them from the equation will make reclaiming the backward pagan province of Derbent much easier. Also, we have a truce with Georgia at the moment so we can't really declare war on Georgia right now anyway.

Yes we can. It costs 100 prestige but it's not like EUIII that crashes your stability when you break a truce.

Sandono
Apr 9, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Geez Wiz, are you sure you're going to surv- Oh... :psyduck: That was unexpected.

I'm sure this conversion to Shi'a is just until the world is prepared to know the might of Psychadelic Islam.

A new sultanate in Iberia, a strong HRE, mega-Jerusalem, Armenia... This game is going to be interesting.

Not as much as you might think. Remember that every single state on that map is one bad ruler or group of bad events from totally fracturing.

Seriously, it is how my Duke of Flanders ended up being the strongest vassal of the Holy Baltic Empire while the independent south warred against itself.

edit: which happened in about 3 years or so.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Frionnel posted:

الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل

Indeed, as the poets tell us,

نحن الأبطال، يا أصدقائي
وسوف نستمر في القتال حتى النهاية
نحن الأبطال
نحن الأبطال
لا وقت للخاسرين
لأننا أبطال العالم

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل
الحصول طرقت أسفل
لكن أستيقظ مرة أخرى
كنت أبدا لإبقاء لي اسفل

Truly the holiest of prayers.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wiz posted:

World Map

Is that big Muslim state of Kirkuk in Iberia related to the Iraqi Kirkuk? Certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary for al-Andalus (or CK for that matter), but still kinda odd.

Tomn posted:

The Islamic Emperor of Orthodox Byzantium, with Semi-Salic Gavelkind?

What the hell, I've seen crazier.

Muslims getting accidentally elected to strong Christian state is always a recipe for hijinks, since they pretty much always go on immediate and unexpected jihads. I had an AI Venice elect a Muslim courtier in 1090 or so and by 1100 he had conquered nearly all of Italy with his Venetian doomstack.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Its a little sad that the map is just over this region of europe, otherwise expanding east would make sense...

How will you handle everything east of you when you switch over to EU3? I guess its a bit early to say still, but since we are so close to it, how things turns out for Azerbaijan must have some effect on it right?

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Is that big Muslim state of Kirkuk in Iberia related to the Iraqi Kirkuk?

Yes it is. In fact, we've seen this Kirkuk before:

Wiz posted:

The Seljuks still control a small fraction of their empire in the Sultanate of Rum, and other splinter states of roughly equal power to us include the Sultan of Kirkuk and the Sultan of Erzerum.

Wiz just conveniently forgot to mention this fact in his update because it was so bizarre.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
On my current CK game (I'm playing Apulia -> Sicily -> Italy) I just saw the fastest blob disappearence I have ever seen.

Hungary was motherfucking huge. It had Austra, Bavaria, Bohemia, a lot of territory in Italy around Toscana region (which was pissing me off) Almost all of Ireland and was winning a war against Germany which meant they would grow even more.
Except that their king died, was inherited by a 1 year old baby and everyone and their mothers declared independence pretty fast. In just a few years Hungary went from the biggest blob on Europe to a 4 province miner with a single loyal subject.

The bad part is, Germany grew into some space Hungary left and now it's germany that owns those pieces of Italy that I want to conquer.

Still the growth and disintegration of Hungary was really something.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Though we must avenge the insult of the loss of Derbent, reclaiming the distant Mosque of al-Quds and expelling the Crusaders from Medina both take precedence. The second and third most sacred sites of our faith, the oasis Muhammad took refuge in and built his umma in and the holy city that Suleiman and Isa loved, are in infidel hands. Let us offer the Crusaders a two-for-one on our standard "The Koran or the Sword" offer. May all true Azeri and Persian ghazis hear the call! Inshallah! Onwards to al-Quds and Medina!

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE
I propose this as the Azerbaijani National Anthem:

أحب الخيل
أفضل من جميع الحيوانات
أحب الخيل
انهم أصدقائي

I think I copied that right...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Whitecloak posted:

أحب الخيل
أفضل من جميع الحيوانات
أحب الخيل
انهم أصدقائي

I am in full agreement with this plan, and I don't doubt that Flavius Belisairus is as well.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Is that big Muslim state of Kirkuk in Iberia related to the Iraqi Kirkuk? Certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary for al-Andalus (or CK for that matter), but still kinda odd.

Yeah, the Sultanate of Kirkuk in Iraq inherited Valencia, so that's why they're over in Iberia.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hutter posted:

Its a little sad that the map is just over this region of europe, otherwise expanding east would make sense...

How will you handle everything east of you when you switch over to EU3? I guess its a bit early to say still, but since we are so close to it, how things turns out for Azerbaijan must have some effect on it right?

Still thinking about that but yes, it won't be exactly vanilla. I was thinking I might write a bunch of historical deviations (with not entirely clear consequenses) and let you vote on them, then create the rest of the world out of those votes.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Whitecloak posted:

أحب الخيل
أفضل من جميع الحيوانات
أحب الخيل
انهم أصدقائي

You know what would be cool? Horse Archers. Sadly that will probably never happen.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Huh, Azerbaijan is also known as the land of the eternal fire.

That is the most badass nickname for a country ever.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Rejected Fate posted:

Huh, Azerbaijan is also known as the land of the eternal fire.

That is the most badass nickname for a country ever.

I'm willing to bet that that's a leftover from Zoroastrianism.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Frionnel posted:

You know what would be cool? Horse Archers. Sadly that will probably never happen.

As far as I know, CK DOES have Horse Archers.

Mongol Horse Archers.

Maybe we can capture some and convert them to the True Faith!

Edit: poo poo, I just realized you were probably aware of that. I need to go to sleep.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Whitecloak posted:

أحب الخيل
أفضل من جميع الحيوانات
أحب الخيل
انهم أصدقائي

:helladid: Twas our finest hour.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Two updates in one night. I'm spoiling you, I know.

Chapter 5: Jihad (1220 - 1230)

The organization of the Azerbaijani empire into Emirates continues, giving Ertan prestige and a slightly less difficult time managing his many vassals.

In 1222, right as Ertan is about to turn 16, Regent Kasim bestows on him one last gift before departing court for his Emirate - the tutelage of a famed Arab emissary who teaches him some much-needed lessons in the arts of diplomacy.

Though he picks up some diplomatic skills, Ertan's interests are and remain tactics. A good tactician if not a particularily able strategist, he is a lustful, temperamental, cruel and vengeful man - a particularily nasty combination that makes him suited to warfare and not much else.

As Ertan ascends to the throne, his first act is to enact major reforms in the Azerbaijan's system of government, breaking with traditional customs and dividing the power of the empire between its Beys and warlords, gaining their support for the coming wars. He also seizes control of many religious institutions and dips into the funds set aside for charities to recruit troops, to the loud and vigorous protests of the Ulema.

He takes the eldest daughter of the Abbasid Caliph as his bride, gaining a large dowry and greatly strengthening relations with his allies.

He continues to raise taxes on the merchants and peasantry and seize funds from schools and hospitals, building up a massive warchest.

A son is born to him in late 1227, and with the dynasty secure, he finally feels ready to begin his conquests.

His first target is Jerusalem, and war is declared in spring of 1228.

The armies of Azerbaijan, Khwarizm and Persia are assembled, and soon sixty thousand warriors flock to the banners, ready to march on the holy land.

Warlords, bandits and adventurers also flock to his banners as Ghazi, hoping for a chance to prove themselves to Allah and earn loot and slaves from Ertan's conquered enemies.

First to feel Ertan's wrath are the Templar Knights in Kurdistan. The province is attacked, looted and their castles seized.

The Templars attempt to appease the attackers with the offer of ceding Kurdistan, but Ertan is not after such scraps.

The first major battle takes place outside Al Jazira, as a crusader army of 6000 is defeated on the field by Ertan himself and his army of 8000.

The crusaders counter-attack in Sinjar, scattering a second Azeri army and retaking Kurdistan, but such reversals are only temporary.

Soon, the weight of numbers begin to tell, and the crusader armies suffer defeat after defeat.

Ertan himself pushes deep into enemy land, taking Damascus and subjecting it to a three-day bloodbath that earns Ertan the nickname 'Butcherer'.

By mid-1229, after a year and a half of campaigning, huge tracts of land have been taken and Ertan stands at the gates of Jerusalem.

Here, Queen Sibylla has arranged a final, desperate defense of some 3000 troops, but they cannot hold back the inevitable.

Jerusalem falls and Muslim troops pour into the city, killing all christians they see and filling the streets with blood as vengeance for the crusaders' sack of the city in 1099.

The last holdout of the Templars also falls, and their lands and casles are seized.

Though Jerusalem is vanquished, Ertan's troops have been in the field for a long time and he is facing increasing pressure from both his men and his vassals to halt the campaign and divide the spoils already conquered. Finally he gives in, signing a truce with Queen Sibylla that takes a full two-thirds of Jerusalem's land, leaving only their southern holdings.

In two years, Ertan has acheived a complete reversal of the gains made by Crusaders over a century. His prestige and glory is unmatched, and there is is just one little problem...

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I offered a Turk translation of my prayers in the original post, you all should do the same and use the mother language (of the ruling elite).

Edit: Update! Also, bye, Persia, it was nice knowing you.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2011

• Locked thread