Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This being Crusader Kings, it will be fun to see how long it will last. :allears:

Wiz posted:

he proclaims that the Ildeguzid dynasty has adopted Shiite Islam, and that Shi'a will from now on be the true belief of Azerbaijan.
Which Shi'a? Twelver? Sevener? Ismaili? How can there be a true belief when we don't know who were the rightful Imams? :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

- Pillaging is actually worthwhile.
What exactly did you change there?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Independent Franconia! :neckbeard:

edit: not a real suggestion per se, but Germany looks like a lot of fun to play around in if you keep the HRE mechanics for it and make sure Italy doesn't meddle too much with it.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 19, 2011

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

The way I'm thinking right now is to make the HRE be France and Germany, instead of Germany and Italy, with Bohemia as the starting Emperor.
Good idea, Charlemagne would be proud. Here's an idea: keep Burgundy and Italy out of it completely and make it a mission for the Emperor to bring Burgundy and the Lombard Kingdom back into the fold.

edit: also lots of missions for Serbia to conquer the surrounding lands.

edit2: better make Astrakhan the Golden Horde's capital if you go with the CoT there or the temptation will be too big to try and make a grab for it early into EU3.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 19, 2011

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

Italy is definitely not gonna be in the HRE, Burgundy I haven't decided yet... might be too few viable Emperors without them.
Flanders should be rich enough to become a good diplomatic power and maintain a big military with a bit of help. Tirol could be a candidate as well, maybe Brabant as well. If you give one of the French minors (Orleans?) a boost, that's another candidate. And finally, there's Bohemia.

edit: Syria, Egypt and Medina look like they could end up fighting over control of Jerusalem.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 19, 2011

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

With the "large country in HRE" bonus there's really only a few candidates that can compete though.
Is there a way to tweak that bonus to give smaller countries a better shot at the crown? I'm not arguing to keep Burgundy out at any cost, but I think a more competitive situation in the HRE would be interesting be it with or without them.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

Hardcoded.
Why is random stuff like that hardcoded when such a great majority of things are moddable? Johan! :argh:

Patter Song posted:

If Samogitia and Estonia are pagan, it could be cool. You know, since Sweden didn't get Finland until late, maybe they should still be pagan and force the Swedes into missionary work.
I would like to see some pagans around Europe. Assuming pagan provinces still change culture on conversion in DW, there's some potential for gamey shenanigans when you play in that area. (I would link to an AAR on the Paradox forums that took that to the extreme, but I can't find it right now.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Patter Song posted:

it's literally difficult to click on Iceland
This is true, but shouldn't be a concern for the AI. Everything else you pointed out is, of course, and add to that that you can't get some sort of claim on Iceland via dynastic fuckery and events since it's a republic. Unless the player goes for it, Iceland will be left alone in CK. EU is usually a different ballgame, though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Conskill posted:

Not... really. The major change is that EU3 encompasses the entire world, so Iceland is no longer quite so remote. Or remote at all.
Norway and England actually like to take it for some reason. It's also a useful stop on the northern route to America, so it's actually useful.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

theblastizard posted:

I think it would be funny if Timur was menacing China instead of Turkey.
I quite like that idea. A "horde" stretching from central Asia to Singkiang/Tibet that has several directions to go after Timur's death.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 20, 2011

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
No

2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?
Yes

3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island?
Yes

4) Did the Australian megafauna survive human migration into the continent?
Yes

5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?
Yes

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Magrov posted:

We can make it more vitriolic by having a vote about the inclusion of the Roman symbol on the Italian flag, and a three way debate between Gorgo, Saurus and Leperflesh on the inclusion of the Aragon coat of arms on the England flag issue.
SPQR could be this thread's owl.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kavak posted:

Who did that, anyway? It's a bad choice for a country's flag, but drat if a loving DEMONIC OWL wouldn't strike fear into your enemies as a battle standard.
Bobbin Threadbare did it, although I prefer Eiba's take on it:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

i81icu812 posted:

It looks slightly less like a racecar flag now! Something about that blue... A definite improvement
Less? That one just SCREAMS Ferrari to me.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

MadPierrot posted:

Franconia:

Inspired by Nuremberg's coat of arms? It's nice, although it could do without the black borders.

If we want something more involved, the territory controlled by Franconia could consist of the Burgraviate of Nuremberg, the territories of the bishoprics of Würzburg and Bamberg and the Palatinate. Curiously enough, it's not listed among the bishoprics in Wiz' CK wrapup, so it seems to be a secular realm now.

Wiz, which dynasty is ruling Franconia?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Please do not support the Western cultural imperialism and change all province names to their real names as used by the locals, in their writing system, down to the last kanji and the very last accent. If you do invest the countless hours to do the necessary research and editing, I promise I will spend the necessary two seconds to vote this thread 5 in return.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Puistokemisti posted:

I keep reading that as Iznogud for some reason and it kinda changes the tone of the post.
I think it's clear now what the ultimate goal of the Ildeguzid dynasty is.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tolerating Christians instead of converting them? No, thanks. I'd vote for A, but under these circumstances I'll vote C to help prevent B winning. That C is National Bank is a very nice plus.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Government: A
Idea: B

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kavak posted:

Definitely update it as the thread goes on.
I really hope you can do this because it's really terrifically awesome and a great summary of what happened so far.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bill of Rights is a very good idea and seems to coast to victory from the outset. So I'll vote to make a point about Cabinet which I hope we'll see up for vote again (if it doesn't win this time around). We're far from a superpower and surrounded by three powers that are at least our equals. To balance or eliminate this threat a boost to diplomacy, allowing us to keep relations with our neighbors high or at least make allies who can help us against them, is a very, very good thing.

Fake edit: seems like there are actually more people thinking like that.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Icecream Jones posted:

Gotta get our inflation under control
I seriously can't remember the last time I played and had only 10% inflation by 1590. Hell, sometimes I'd have that by 1490 and I'd still do well. Not to say we shouldn't care, but it's far from out of control.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I love the "Cabinet => Republic/Crete/GOONS! :argh:" argument, both brought up in favor of and against A. I mean it's nice to speculate over the roleplay flavor that will come with it, but a junta of appointed friends of the sultan as the starting point of a development towards a republic is taking it ridiculously far.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

sniper4625 posted:

If we are all making unreasonable demands because A won, then as Chief Minister of the Cabinet, I demand that all Sultans delegate all future power to the Shura, or perhaps some representative body comprised of elected officials from the provinces.
If it's delegated to the Shura, it should be organized into groups of people who especially care about a certain aspect of the nation. One for the military, one for trade, one for buildings, one for religion and one for the provinces, representing not only regional nobles and their concerns, but the will of all the people. That sounds like an efficient model that nothing should go wrong with. :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

shalcar posted:

This is absolutely amazing. Eiba really does deserve his diplo 9
No doubt. The comment on that rating says it all, really.

quote:

Crypto-Civics, best Civics. (maybe)
Not maybe, definitely.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Proposition Joe posted:

Unfortunately Wiz has had so many birthday parties that he got to 100 birthday parties
How much infamy did we lose and did we win or lose some prestige? :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

It would be dumb to assume this is going to be the norm though, considering Russia just came out of a long grinding eastern war.
While reading about that war, I hope the update would end soon so we could have a round of calling for a preemptive strike against Russia and arguing about that in the thread. Of course it's better it didn't end at that point.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

:ohdear:

Wiz, Morocco is at war with Mali, but that war was started by their allies. What was stopping Morocco from taking one or two or three bites out of Mali before? Religion (Mali is sunni, right)? Your intelligent war mod telling them the provinces aren't worth it?

e:

Kavak posted:

And why is Salvador Dali in Japan?
Yeah, that's pretty surreal.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 22, 2011

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

Lack of a casus belli plus the fact that Mali are significantly stronger than them.
Ah, now I actually notice them in the ledger pages. I didn't expect them to be that strong. How are they so rich, though? The CoT at Timbuktu doesn't look to be enough to explain that. Do they sit on lots of gold? Or a certain other trade good that rose in value since colonization kicked into high gear?

theblastizard posted:

Indonesia seems to a war torn hell hole in this time line.
Looks like the AI has stubbornly set out to conquer Brunei, but can't muster the navy to actually do that (plus naval AI, invasion AI, yadda, yadda).

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Europa Universalis IV: Dreams of Tolerance. Coming Q2 2014 to all digital distribution platforms. $29.99 (requires Europa Universalis IV)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wiz posted:

Not without fighting Persia, Syria and Egypt at the same time.
Plus, Russia definitely won't be pleased if we brought him back.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
More Franconia flags:

I made another variant of a Franconian Flag based on the old coat of arms, with a different eagle (from OTL Nuremberg's coat of arms) and only the three customary tips.

Also another version of the "republican" flag with steeper angles, based on the OTL coat of arms.

And finally, the use of delta for communism gave me an idea for a communist flag.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

SirPhoebos posted:

How do you say "FORD IT!" in Russian? :v:
"CHERNENKO IT!" :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Duckbag posted:

Actually, Stalin probably caused more ethnic strife than he resolved. Many of his purges targeted regional Communist organizations on the suspicion that they might be fomenting nationalism. This had the effect of crippling many of the regional soviets, replacing devoted Communists with shameless opportunists, and souring the locals to rule from Moscow. Just yet another reason his rule was disastrous for the USSR.
Can't speak for Kainser, but I suppose :thejoke:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
More time for Wiz to play an update, though. :D

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Obliterati posted:

I hear the ladies do love a bit of them several-year LPs.
"Not afraid of long-term commitment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
You shouldn't call EU4 a side project at this point! :v:

• Locked thread