Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Right then. Conquer our neighbours until we border an infidel, then let them know we have a special 2-for-1 offer on our famous 'The Koran or the Sword' line of invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The crusaders are at our gate: Our path is clear. In the name of the prophet (pbuh) we shall drive the infidel from our borders, from the holy cities, then from the shores of islamic lands altogether! They have chosen the sword!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Our Sultan adheres to the true faith, and consequently the infidel is pushed back. The harlot queen who defiles the holy city and the rapacious georgians are powerful, but none are greater than the one with whom we have placed our faith. Be strong, each and every Azeri! we will see the word of the Prophet upon the lips of the people from here to beyond the farthest horizon!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign? No
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion? Yes
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island? Yes
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent? Yes
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile? No

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
An idea for the United Jewish Kibbutzim of Astrakhan:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

John Charity Spring posted:

I don't know if it's a Paradox spelling error or one of yours, but I notice that the culture in Kabul appears to be 'Pasthun' when I'm fairly sure it should be Pashtun.

They used to be Attila's people prior to their sweep westward?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 4, 2011

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Tsk. 'Pretty Borders' and 'Ugly Borders' are both wrong. The only acceptable configuration is no borders. Conquer the continent.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

C.

My brothers, tolerating apostates and infidels is against Islam itself: There is no God but Allah, and Mohammed is his prophet. There are only two remedies for those who cling to false beliefs: The Koran, or the Sword. Let the False Ones rise up in anger, so that they may be cut down by the righteous, whose weapons and armor are purchased through our financial frugality. No-one ever won a Jihad by being equivocal about matters of truth and lies, of submission to Allah or damnation through opposing his will. The heathens and heretics are just that and should be treated as such, unless they truly submit to the will of Allah.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Patter Song posted:

You are so lucky that Akbar didn't exist in this timeline.

On the contrary. The Apostate Akbar is lucky that he doesn't exist in this timeline.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

A. We have a significant manpower disadvantage to Armenia. Enough talk of tolerance and acceptance, the light of the Azeri is a flame, one that shall sear our perfidious neighbour from Allah's lands. For too long has the might of Armenia loomed over us: We must become mightier to deal with them.

Edit: Added image.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 2, 2011

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

A: The thousand bureaucrats of the Azeri empire descend upon you!
C: Our Fortresses, built by short, stocky heathens who can't seem to get through the day without drinking, shall blot out the sun. With lava.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
If the people voting A for the idea were truly tolerant, they'd reach out to accommodate their fellow Azeri voting B and C in a spirit of togetherness. Since they aren't practising what they are trying to decree for the nation, their hypocrisy sickens me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

This is the option for maximum tolerance. Why should we be greedy tolerance-misers, jealously hoarding our equality and being nice to people? We are Azerbaijan, the burning flame of tolerance! Like a fire, we should carry our inflammatory message of not oppressing minority views or nations far and wide, until the whole world is engulfed in a conflagration of pure tolerance! Our mighty diplomats shall stride forth to bear tidings of friendship to all other nations, until the Azeri mindset is dominant across the globe, excepting its own acceptance of all other worldviews.

Choose maximum tolerance. Choose A.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tomn posted:

Personally, I was aiming more at convincing the Sultan to do something diplomatically in the hope that he'll actually pay attention to getting other allies. Besides, I'm not really in favor of much expansion at the moment - I LIKE the idea of Azerbaijan as a middle-range regional power that relies more on soft diplomacy than empire.

Actually, there's a quick poll. How many of the folks here would want to see Azerbaijan expand significantly, and how many would prefer to see Azerbaijan's borders kept more or less as they currently are?

My fundamental instincts are expansionist: For all the 'neat borders' debates, I still maintain the neatest borders are the seas. Nonetheless, I'm trying to rein that in for the sake of Azerbaijan not conquering the world, although with all the exploits gone I'm not certain if it would be possible. So I'm torn between deliberately staying modestly-sized on the one hand and pushing the boundaries of the modifications to see how far we can go, because that may be necessary in giving us enough mileage to survive as a moderate power at all. I'm overall happy with Wiz's policy with going with the personality of the sultans, whilst hoping for a few magnificent bastards.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I find it amusing that Eiba gets all the blame for my ruthlessly expansionist military strategy over the course of the entire Suebia LP, which was a significant factor in Suebia's destruction got what he deserves.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm all for an Impyrialist takeover, personally.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
In addition, an interesting narrative requires we handicap ourselves now for a harder game later. We need to be useless in order that we do not become dominant.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

SirPhoebos posted:

In light of this, I think it's appropriate to abandon the goal of staying tolerant as that's only going to get us killed right now.

Never! At this point we need to cling closer to our tolerant ideals than ever before! the treacherous Armenian, perfidious Syrian and vile Persian alike share the virtue of being intolerant: We must teach them the error of the ways by replacing their leadership and governance, that we may guide their people into a gloriously tolerant new era.

We must strike deep at their cold, selfish hearts with the dagger of kindness and acceptance. Our mighty armies must march forth, arms open to accept and cherish our neighbours. All who do not accept our benevolence and that reject the values of universal tolerance we espouse must be ruthlessly put to the sword, lest they try to spread their intolerant ways into our sphere of influence. Tolerance or the sword! Allahu akbar!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
St. Helena! :argh:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Cynic Jester posted:

I think you mean French.

The Celtic periphery needs to be English. England needs to be French. France needs to be Roman. Rome needs to be Greek. Greece needs to be Turkish.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

farraday posted:

Every time there's a Time of troubles you get stuck with a shogunate-like government.

Regardless of for whom the Time of Troubles is occurring.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Have we just gone of on a derail about derails?

Are we now trapped in a metaderail?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Bah. Wiz is a myth, a bunch of pseudoreligious nonsense made up to explain the self-perpetuation of the Let's Play. This Let's Play follows logical, deducible scientific laws which govern every aspect of its existence. Let us be rational, gentlemen!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Strength through unity. Unity through .

Azerbaijan cries out for a competent leader. The Sultan has not provided. The Shura has not provided. Where the bloodline of our ancient leaders has failed, where the self-serving petty nobles have fallen short, let those who have truly served the Azeri nation step into the breach.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Cathulhu posted:

Hey now, the actions of [home country] during [historical event] were totally justified. :colbert:

You take that back! [Historical event] was an utter travesty unequalled in human history, and [home country] should pay full reparations to [cannon fodder minority] for their heinous actions! :argh:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

My fellow Shura, we must modernise our civic responsibilities to match our proven military, that we may be balanced and in harmony as we progress. Let us not look to usury, for that is unbecoming in Allah's sight. Let us instead trust to his invisible hand to guide even those aspects that mortal man has thought to control. Our duty is to submit unto Allah: Let us add our economic side to that submission, that we may continue to be the most enlightened amongst the true faithful.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Looking at the Austria-Hungary, Yugoslavia and Brazil ideas, another possibility would be the United Sultanate of Great Azerbaijan and Eastern Anatolia. The Georgians are akin to the Scots, Astrakhan the Welsh, and our beloved Armenian conquered victims subjects the faithful Irish, tied to this great nation in eternal perpetuity.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Wiz posted:

But if we're a British analogy then we have to intentionally cause famines in all our lands outside Azerbaijan itself. :ohdear:

Nah, we'll just use the Scottish technique of getting them to deep-fry sugary confectionery, thus bringing them to the brink of extinction through consequent heart disease.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Cerebral Bore posted:

Unfortunately we've shifted the regional balance of power too much by crippling Armenia. Either Azerbaijan or Bulgaria will almost certainly take over western Anatolia, and I'd rather see us spreading harmony and tolerance to the greeks rather than the unneighbourly Bulgarians running roughshod over the poor things.

This is wisdom. We must carry the beacon of tolerance and enlightenment over our brothers throughout all of Asia minor, lest they fall beneath the heel of a closed-minded oppressor.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Avalon for the new English state.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

DarkCrawler posted:

I wonder what the native Americans (well, the Cherokee) called America before the Europeans arrived, that could be the name for an unified Native American nation.

The closest is probably 'Elohino', which translates as the world, or Mother Earth.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

NihilCredo posted:

(Also for that matter, the word "Wallonia" is just another form of "Gaul", so it's not so far-fetched.)

Actually, Wallonia is from the Germanic word 'Walha', strangers. In this, it is akin to Wales, Cornwall and Wallachia.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Wiz posted:

Yugoslavia? No such thing. :colbert:

Technically, 'Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes' was the official name for that entity from its founding in 1918, but that name was phased out some time around 1929 in favour of Yugoslavia. :eng101:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

My Thessalonika into Byzantium wizmod game at 1500 AD. Al-Andalus took over much of Portugal but couldn't hold it. Khwarzim is currently holding off Muscovy and Poland. Astrakhan is free and Jewish. Burgundy got broken. Nicea and Armenia were absorbed by my purple blob, Azerbaijan hasn't done much, Syria has much of Arabia, Persia is the lesser partner in a personal union. Kabul is the blob east of Persia. Haven't seen much beyond the Urals or the Atlas mountains.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Currently running 1.02. I checked the advisor list by region: there are three new world advisors, all others are in the modernised tech group. So yeah, looks like we have a bug.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

1550 as Byzantium. Got a pious monarch, so decided to take Syria's coast. Inherited Bulgaria. Colonialism is in full swing, Italy and Castille fighting it out over the Carribean and the east coast of South America, Great Britain formed and has the north coast of Brazil as well as a few Atlantic islands. Gascony has the Canaries, Castille has the cape, Golconda has the subcontinent. Azerbaijan has sat there occasionally getting into wars with the African nations, but generally not doing much. Poland, Muscovy and Yaroslavl are heading east, I gave Astrakhan a couple of provinces the last time Khwarzim tried to invade them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Byzantium 1600:

Iroquois are dominating North America: Italy and Great Britain lost their colonies to them, and Morocco is getting pushed back into the sea. Just off the coast, Byzantine North America borders the Moroccan, mirroring Byzantine Africa. A succession of strong leaders, most of whom were pious, led to Byzantium crusading against Egypt and isolating Alexandria: If the Egyptians move their capital, the greeks will be moving in.

South America is a fairly well delineated colonial plaything, the exceptions being Portugal trying their hand in mesoamerica and Morocco trying to halt Great Britain's advance up through Chile. Kanem Bornu has much of West Africa, Egypt, Adal and Mutapa battle it out over the east. Muscovy has blobbed through Asia, and Galconda has tightened its grip on the subcontinent.

Azerbaijan has done nothing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Cowcatcher posted:

Because it's hard to simulate Chav separatists

Essex as a rebel nation, perhaps?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

rlloyd3 posted:

The Reformation just started. In Thrace. :aaaaa:

Latin or one of the Greeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tulip posted:

I've been told by my colleagues who study the Americas that we have enormous amounts of Aztec records, notably in philosophy and poetry. Anybody got anything to say about that?

You're in luck. Aside from the calendars, king lists and ritual books, there is also Cantares Mexicanos, a collection of Nahuatl poetry and song.

Edit: Also The ballads of the lords of New Spain.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 10, 2012

• Locked thread