Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

So with all of Europe collapsed, how much hope do they have of stopping the Golden Horde?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Azerbaijani nationalists are going to be really wierd.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

quote:

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
No. Yes.

quote:

2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?

Yes.

quote:

3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island?
Yes.

quote:

4) Did the Australian megafauna survive human migration into the continent?
Yes. No.

quote:

5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?
No. Yes.

Peel fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 21, 2011

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I had second thoughts on some of my votes for the benefit of the people keeping continuous tallies.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

B. Peace is a greater wealth than gold.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

C

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A

A

It's not just about what Azerbaijan does internally (though that is good reason for both). It's also about what Azerbaijan can be. We can be a beacon to lead the Islamic world past division and into a future, rather than letting the Christians leave us behind.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's a shame Western Europe is finally blobbing but I guess it was inevitable.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

With the Bear on our doorstep we need to make sure our country holds together. We have a big coalition of groups in Azerbaijan and under stress it might start to disintegrate, costing us money and men.

We already have a genius diplomat in power, there's no pressing need for that right now.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I think being the junior partner in a PU would be a fun and exciting adventure.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

When it turns out the Mughal king is a 9/9/9 tolerant reformer you guys will be sorry.

e: If he's a 9/9/9 reactionary we can call him King Cain :v:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Great update. A really natural progression to the new state of affairs.

Sometimes when reading a Paradox LP update you get the sense that you're seeing a really interesting period of history that people will be studying and arguing about for centuries (moreso than the other periods). This was one of those times.

How are we on tech compared to Syria and Persia?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Let's try not to make all the same jokes as the last LP.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A king must always take a long-term view.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Tulip posted:

Also, one of the things i loved in the Hohenzollern LP was the fake academic articles. Once i get in my grad school apps i'd love to write something up, assuming that that sort of thing is welcome/in demand. I only saw it in the archive so i have no idea how those things appeared in the course of the thread.

Fake academia is always in demand.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Give too many peasants weapons and they might rise up.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Let Allah's will guide the market, not short-sighted humans.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

21st century Internet Azeris are never going to shut up about this guy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Who the hell is Ryukyu attacking?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

American independence taking off in a big way and Revolutionary Russia?

I am liking this end of EUIII.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What the Ikko-Ikki are is probably best determined by looking at their sliders, ideas and government type, given how divergent Japan is from OTL.

e: 'Go West' seems more appropriate for Vestland and not-Louisiana in this America.

Peel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 29, 2012

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Rejected Fate posted:

Yeah, our history education is poo poo. You only get to learn things that happened after WWII if you took History as an option.

Not to mention the careful avoidance of education about Imperialism.

People criticise the Japanese for insufficient flagellation but Britain is right there alternating between not mentioning the Empire and unironically claiming we gave those savages civilisation.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Dekko posted:

This is why when the current government came in they promised to shake up the history syllabus and have it re-structured by world-renowned fuckwit Niall Ferguson.

I'm holding out hope that when he rolls out his ridiculous whitewash it'll cause a backlash since our country contains a lot of former Imperial subjects and descendants thereof.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm happy with V1 or V2, though I'd like to see V2 sometime.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If V2 is just too much of a hassle just use V1. I want to see what happens to Azerbaijan more than different-looking screenshots on whatever broken pile of crap Paradox last made.

Sometimes reading these LPs feels like watching LPs of action games, if all action games were made by modding Sonic 2006.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

This is pretty cool I guess.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

With all this talk about their terrible society we're going to need a fascist Cherokee flag.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

You guys are definitely underestimating the extent to which the idea that Western civilisation is 'just better' still has traction.

It might not be that common on SA or in these threads specifically, but it's around, and a popular book like GGS is a good counterweight, even if GGS specifically is flawed.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

A pity, I was hoping the monarchs would be pushed into the new world.

e: Maybe the Scandanavian monarchs fled to Borealia? Though they wouldn't rule there.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Hopefully exposure to radical thought from Russia and Europe helps to eventually end the dictatorship in Japan.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What's the attitude of revolutionaries in this timeline to the Church?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That's a real shame, but there's no point forcing it in such a situation. Better to spend your time making the actual games better.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Increasingly byzantine rules and nightmarish unintended consequences were the best part of Crete, though. :v:

(looking forward to it)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Magrov posted:

Remind us again which party exiled its own party leader, leading to the death of his wife, a son and two daughters (ages 12, 8 and 1) and his dog, Socrates? What was the reason for that again?

Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs - the legal structure we inherited from the reactionary years left us no other choice.

This oracle I bribed assures me he is smiling on our decision from the Elysian Fields.

Pakled posted:

The faction that's the most "anti-gameplay" is probably the Environmentalists. They're easy enough to please (because Tropico 4 is an easy game), just throw down a few gardens and pass the anti-litter edict and they'll be happy, but doing any city building in this city building game makes them ever so slightly more angry.

I was planning an anarcho-primitivist gimmick so this is good news for me!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jimmy4400nav posted:

An island with only a couple hundred people dividing between more than thirty political parties? (Going by how fast we've been making new parties, I'm forecasting more than thirty).

This is going to be awesome! Though we're going to have a bitch of a time dividing everyone in the far left, left, center left, center, center right, right and far right dynamic. Something tells me (knowing us Goons) everything going to end up being far something.

I assume (hope) the parties will collapse down to a more manageable set or it's just going to be a mess.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm glad I was part of Crete but it's not necessarily something that can or should be repeated. Other high-participation games should try different models.

Crete has run its course.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The gimmicks will run out of steam pretty quickly. This is just the theorycrafting phase anything like this goes through before it hits reality.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Don't worry. The Russians are exhausted from their Polish campaign. Our troops are fresh, ready and led by the new innovations and unparalleled genius of the great Sultan Tunga Daei.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Really, playing to get the non-European experience would be incomplete without a pack of white pricks marching in and installing a 'modern' government that does whatever they say. So this had to happen eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Wiz hasn't told us he's working at Paradox's northernmost office, where the night can last half a year.

• Locked thread