Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I think it's worth noting that the Mongols sacked Baghdad so bad, the city still hasn't recovered from it to this day (although other foreign invaders might have hindered the recovery process).

And one additional detail which makes the Horde so scary in CK. Unless a nation belongs to a different religion, you need a claim to take their land. If a nation is a religious enemy, you can just declare a war and take their provinces unconditionally. Mongols treat everyone as a religious enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I've always got bored with CK shortly after Black Death, so I don't have any personal experience fighting the Mongols, but here's a strategy I've heard. With their ridiculous numbers, you're never likely to defeat the Horde in battle, but you can outmaneuver them. You need to conquer territories back faster than they can conquer new territories. So instead of piling into one huge army, like the Mongols now have, you need to have several small ones, each attacking empty provinces.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Wiz posted:

I've changed the Mongols so their armies gradually phase in, meaning they get multiple armies instead of one megastack. It makes them a lot harder to outmanuever like this.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the one playing the game! :v:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I see a purple province in Morocco. Who is that? I'm guessing Wales, but I'm not going to be too surprised to learn it's Byzantium or Muscowy.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Frionnel posted:

Also, what about that purple sheikdom west of Tabriz? They're looking independent and tasty.

Too bad having bubonic plague means that our manpower is wrecked. I think the plague takes it down to something like 25% at most. That and also courtiers are going to die left and right.

I don't think Azerbaijan is in the condition to do anything but pray.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Nice, voting time! And I already feel inferior with my grasp of history. Well, thank goodness for wikipedia, or I might have had to, I dunno, get up and walk to my bookshelf to find the information :v:

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign? No
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion No
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island? Yes
4) Did the Australian megafauna survive human migration into the continent? Yes
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile? Yes

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Sweet, it's great to see Azerbaijan again! I enjoy following these threads a lot more than actually playing Paradox games. I realized that when I tried to cure my withdrawal by playing some EU3, but everytime I tried I just quit after a few months and played Civ5 instead.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

The Saurus posted:

Not seeing it. Looks more like a bullfrog if anything. Hungary looks like an owl's head though.

Looks more like a hawk to me, but whatever bird it is, it's loving pissed off and intense.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
All the choices are really good and people have provided very compelling arguements for each of them. I genuinely don't know which is the best in this situation. So I'm going to vote C to keep it a tight vote.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

A for Administrative Monarchy. Because that seems to be the way Azerbaijan is going.

C for Engineer Corps. I don't think Azerbaijan gets to decide when the next war starts and we have some pretty dangerous neighbours.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Pakled posted:

It detects your country through your system settings and gives that country all the bonuses plus cores on all the provinces of the country you're playing as punishment for being a self-hating [INSERT NATIONALITY HERE].

So what happens if you play a country that wasn't independent during the time frame? I don't want Swedes getting any bonuses from my superior Finnish culture! :mad:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
This is slightly off-topic, but I feel the need to share this hilarity. I was reading the local news and found this headline: Exceptionally clear message for Finland: "Populists!:argh:"

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I pledge my support for a noble republic now. No to Mughal rulers, no to possible yet unlikely Najjar heirs.

Also, is it just my imagination or are there some Portuguese green spots in southern Philippines?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

I thought C sounded better, but I want to vote for a winner, and also not manpower.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I don't really know if this is the best option, but it has good arguments for it and I'm inclined to agree.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Congratulations Wiz, you've definitely earned this opportunity!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Yeah, let's go with El Penis Grande.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
This part of the LP will be especially interesting to read, because the situation is so precarious and because I have absolutely no idea how MOTE works.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Ooh, things are getting interesting. I'm glad to see this turn of events. Azerbaijan has grown a lot from the humble beginnings in CK and survival hasn't been a problem since the early days.

I'm also thankful for the quick pace of updates you are giving us, Wiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
AAC. There's no way this will backfire. :yayclod:

• Locked thread