Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That looks like a really fun map for EU3, I hope you release your scenario after all this is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Frionnel posted:

drat, should have voted for Timur's death. That seems like an even better scenario.

This is the best, a unified japan removes the stupid shogun mechanics and a shattered china gets rid of the horrible Chinese system, so both nations might actually accomplish something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Nakar posted:

I'm assuming based on what you've said that you probably earn "enough" if you actually stick to the strategy you have established. That's probably good enough as a rule.

Though conquering could get messy if you get a lot of off-culture, off-religion provinces. However, most of the places you'd conquer in Europe or Asia are at least pretty valuable despite that. And they can eventually be cored and converted.

After a certain point money is no longer an issue in EU3. If you manage to conquer all of Italy, France or Germany you'll have enough money to conquer the world, all you'd need is the manpower. A WC as a small European power is pretty easy. Start by conquering/forming your cultural union. Use those cores to begin to conquer Europe, once you've crippled Castille/France/England/the emperor the BB limit no longer matters and you can just go nuts. Your tech slowing down from all the wrong culture provinces in Europe really doesn't matter because most European provinces are so populous they're worth it regardless, and the rest of the world has such a huge malus on their tech speed they'll never be able to compete with you no matter how many useless provinces you pick up.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conskill posted:

I'm at a loss. You're routinely seeing the game throw 1,000 regiment armies at you? I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen more than 100 regiments on one side of a fight.

I don't think I've ever seen a single nation with 1,000 regiments. The largest is usually Ming who have at best 150-200 or if the HRE unifies 200-300 for them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well as it stands Italy doesn't control the city of Rome, and it might never gain control if an alliance of Christian nations step in to save the pope.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ilanin posted:

vvv: Having previously been wrong is never a reason not to correct something.

But the horse looks cool and that's priority #1, otherwise you'll end up with stuff like:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Looks like the Latin Empire might be in an even worse starting position than vanilla Byzantium. I guess the Byzantine successor states are a lot less threatening than the Ottomans, but it starts even smaller and it lacks small states with its cores to victimise.

A player might be able to pull it off, starting with that many cores that won't decay is such a huge advantage it really breaks the difficulty of playing as a smaller nation. The AI however has no chance, I don't think I've ever seen the AI retake Byzantium in a vanilla game so it's screwed here.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Asehujiko posted:

What happens to the Brotherhood of the Nameless? Do they get to be revolters? Not-protestant new gnostic religion? Not-cathar heretics? Or something more behind the scenes?

If they revolt, what flag would they use?
Is there any other option?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

Yeah, a functional shogunate system with something like 15-25 daiymos would make for fun times.

Functional shogunate being the key words, the system in DW is broken to the point of unusability.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I really like that. I'm not sure how much sense it makes historically but it looks both very fun to play and good for the AI.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

Yeah, I moved it to French group because I was tired of Britanny being independent every game forever / not worth it to hold as France because of cultural penalties.

You could have a setup where it changes culture to a French culture after being conquered like Anatolia turns Greek if a Greek nation conquers it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

:monocle:

He's the heir to Bohemia's throne.

Run with it, run with it and don't look back.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BklynBruzer posted:

I don't think I've ever actually seen you explain your issue with Hordes, Wiz. Why do they piss you off so much?

Instead of the horde fighting a bunch of people and then collapsing like it's supposed to, the horde mechanics ensure 1 outside nation sieges and conquers 90% of the horde and then spends the next 100 years sending colonists at it until they've got a giant zit coming out of their nation that goes halfway to China.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

Aaaaand I just realized that countries outside the Shogunate are hardcoded to not be able to initiate diplomacy, including wars, with countries in the Shogunate. Which means the Ikko-Ikki won't work at all.

loving divine wind.

Is it possible to have them start the game on some island at start, and then event gift them the Japanese provinces?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

Huh? That has nothing to do with the issue, which is that countries outside the Shogunate system can't take any diplomatic action with countries inside the Shogunate system. It has nothing to do with provinces.

Ah I thought you meant outside nations could not negotiate with Ikko-Ikki, not that Ikko couldn't negotiate with the rest of Japan.

Also that's really dumb.

e: IIRC outsiders can declare war on the shogunate by declaring war on the 1 province emperor, but that's the extent of their diplomatic options.

uPen fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 10, 2011

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

Little something I've been meaning to do in a EU3 mod:

I wasn't using the culture decisions anyway (I use a revised system for culture trad), so instead I use those decisions to show/hide other decisions so you can get rid of the game annoying you about decisions you don't intend to execute. Every decision that isn't a complete no-brainer (ie country forming decisions and such) can now be disabled by executing the appropriate hide decision, and enabled again just as easily.

This will be great for my OCD, because those notifiers about decisions annoy the crap out of me and I always end up executing things I might not want to take just to get rid of them.

:worship:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

wiegieman posted:

Is there a reason you're going with infantry and not an all-cavalry force early on? I thought cavalry were far superior while you're stuck with low value shock units.

One of the recent expansions changed this. You need to maintain a certain ratio of Inf:Cav to get a tactics bonus, if you've got too many cavalry you lose the bonus and get wrecked.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Patter Song posted:

I'm pretty sure DW still allows you to take same religion provinces held by a different religion group enemy for no infamy. I know that that's in the previous versions.

Yup, it's the religious liberation CB.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darth Windu posted:

Battlefield Commissions (B) is still a military choice, and is extremely practical, but is more interesting by far than Grand Army. It improves our generals' Shock value, which is very powerful. If B and C combine on B, we can beat that boring-rear end A vote. Which has been chosen in undoubtedly every Paradox LP since the beginning of time.

It probably hasn't since vanilla battlefield commissions Grand Army is pretty useless. So far it looks like Wiz has done a great job shoring up the weaker ideas and nerfing some of the 'must have' ones.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darth Windu posted:

That's what I said? It's a very powerful idea now.

Yeah I meant grand army, which is 100% useless in vanilla and is now very awesome.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

A: Administrative Monarchy
B: National Banks

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gotta even it up :colbert:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

zedar posted:

Why would you do this? Formable nations based on cultural boundaries I can understand, but Sardinina-Piedmont is just a jumble of lands that happened to be owned by a single family. I guess maybe add events for Savoy to conquer Sardinia if you want to push for historical accuracy, but actually having it as a tag?

The better question is why not? More formable nations is a good thing since it gives the player short-medium term goals to aim for. Most of my favorite nations the first thing I go for is a new tag before moving on to other things.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrProsek posted:

This may be a :can:, but what's the Paradox mod community's reputation? I'm only casually interested in Paradox mods, so I'm curious in the horrors I may be blissfully unaware of.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?564099-Nationalism-Mod-for-DW

It's like this but not ironic.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Frionnel posted:

Why is that difficult. :raise:

Because you have to convince vast swaths of your population that rely primarily on pigs for their meat that it's sinful.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

Tried running in windowed mode, tried exempting from data execution protection. No dice, it just doesn't want to run on my computer. I wasn't planning to continue past V2 anyway so it's okay, just sucks that I can't play one of my favorite games.

Don't install it to C:\Program Files, install it to the root of the C: drive or preferably a different drive altogether.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hyord posted:

Define mid-size.

1-2 Million primary culture citizens at game start.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gorgo Primus posted:

Everything.

That's not true, the way they model CAGs and carriers in general is vastly improved and a lot of fun. Everything else is awful though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tomn posted:

Not that I advocate switching courses at this point in the game, but couldn't defensive work out hypothetically if you largely ignore battles entirely, letting enemies win costly sieges only to slip in behind them and rapidly counter-siege with artillery, thus constantly attriting the enemy to death until they're weak enough for your own relatively weaker forces to pounce and destroy them?

Defensive works by making your forts even more annoying to break, allowing you to exploit the AI's tendency to ignore attrition.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tomn posted:

No, no, I was speaking entirely in the abstract - I was always kinda interested in trying to make the defensive slider work out, but I never did get around to testing that theory out. It's not particularly pertinent to our situation, but I WAS wondering whether such a strategy could work out at all.

The defensive slider is pretty much objectively better unless you're handicapping yourself like Wiz is.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

That may be true in vanilla, but I don't think that's true in my mod and I didn't go offensive to handicap myself.

I am really looking forward to playing this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The time for National bank is past, if we had taken it ages ago it would be great but with the time remaining B is the right choice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ferroque posted:

We can get B next time guys! Just be patient!

A is useless, the game end in 1836. If Wiz ran inflation at the full -.05 from now until the end of the game it wouldn't even cut our inflation in half. Vote B!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Manic Mole posted:

Inflation is gonna be carried over into the next game, what sort of effect would it have in Vicky 2?

It doesn't get modeled at all so Wiz will have to get creative.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Saurus posted:

Why don't we have Cores on Cyprus? That was an indivisible part of the Azeri (three province) Empire at once point! We must retake it, for the spirit of Ertan the conqueror.

I'd imagine the same reason we don't have cores on Egypt or Persia, the branch of the Dynasty that ended up ruling Azerbaijan has no claims on those bits.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Saurus posted:

How come the muslim states (Morocco) haven't done any colonization this time? in the Hohen LP Morocco was one of the first colonial powers in the Americas and they were less powerful than they are this time around.

It looks like they've been colonizing Africa.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Saurus posted:

You can't become a democracy from a constituional monarchy? That's loving retarded. We already have the Shura, we can just give more rights to that and extend the people who are allowed to vote for its members and we basically have the British system/path to democracy.

Uh where are you getting that from? Constitutional Monarchy is one of only 2 governments that can form a Constitutional Republic.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Saurus posted:

I meant in Vicky. I can't see any of our monarchs turning us into a republic before we get to vicky.

Vicky2 is bad and changing governments is really awful. Unless you have a revolution pretty much the only government changes you can make are Absolute Monarchy <-> HM's Government/Prussian Constitutionalism or Presidential Dictatorship <-> Democracy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SolidPolonium posted:

Wouldn't taking Portugal be a better "first step"?

If you're looking to invade mainland Europe as an Islamic power the easiest jumping off point is usually southern Italy. As long as your navy is stronger than the powers that the Pope or Naples will call in you can quickly annex them then start fighting your way up the peninsula to grab the incredible provinces in Northern Italy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

This has already happened and they don't get involved because only alliance leader can call in allies.

Did you remove that horrible chain calling where the original war leader calls in someone stronger who becomes leader who calls in someone stronger who becomes leader etc etc? It's really fun having 90% of Europe at war with you because you DoW'd a opm with a valid CB.

• Locked thread