Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
This should be...interesting.

Good luck crushing all the revolts sure to spring up now! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I feel sorry for Aydin. The kid is fourteen years old, and he's about to get steamrolled by the Mongols.

By the way, is Cuman still pagan? I'm kinda hoping that it doesn't convert and survives the oncoming hordes.

ninja edit: I'd love to see a horde LP. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Servetus posted:

Not any weirder than English nationalists, Richard I only spent 18 months of his reign there. But he kicked rear end overseas and hung out with troubadours and was a terribly romantic figure. I doubt we'll hold onto Alexandria for long with Gavelkind and so this will just be a story of a romantic Sultan-in Exile, longing for the land he never knew but still calls to his soul. Meanwhile there will undoubtedly be an Azeri version of Robin Hood; "discovered" in the early 19th century if one didn't already exist in folklore, who will be beating up Mongols and waiting for the true Sultan to return. Classic nationalist fairytale.

I'd read those fairytales.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
What kind of education has Tanvermis given his children? He seems like the sort to send 'em all to War College in preparation for the battle against the Il-Khanate, and I know you usually try to make gameplay decisions in character.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh boy oh boy oh boy can't wait for next update :holy:

Reveilled posted:

Save edit that guy into your court, and make sure his unnamed kids get converted to islam and made Emirs of Nowhere

He sounds like someone from the Srjbyzantium LP. Where did you get this guy from, Wiz?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kavak posted:

This is now canon for this LP. I expect them as a religion springing up during the reformation, or at least a faction of heretics. :colbert:

drat straight. The Nameless infant sect will survive for hundreds of years underground, until the time is ripe for them to spring forth from the ground like a...um...spring.

Hey, it's not entirely unrealistic. A number of Spanish and Portuguese converso families kept practicing Jewish rituals in secret for centuries, even when they forgot the reasons behind their old family customs. Hell, the Belmonte Jews even managed to maintain their sense of community into the present day!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
What on earth is Albania doing by the Caspian Sea? Albanians are in the Balkans, last time I checked.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
So who inherits if Qutaiba dies without any children?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I have to say, in the long term all those wars and conquests were spectacularly useless.

It was pretty interesting, too, and it made for a great story. I'd love to read the history books of this world.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
If I recall my history correctly, the Gauls and other peoples of France were Celtic, too. Since the Franco-German region is filled with all these small nations, maybe a resurgent Ireland could set out to bring all Celtic lands, continental included, under their banner. Conquering all that land might be absurd, but perhaps Ireland could dominate through influence instead. Okay, we're several centuries too early for modern nationalism, but it could lead to an interesting scenario.

I'd also like to make a few requests for East Asia. First, a divided China (if one of the pieces is ruled by Mongols, that would be pretty awesome). Second, a stronger Korea. Maybe without a unified China dominating the region, they could expand beyond the peninsula? And lastly, I'd like to see Japan going a very different route from OTL. How about the ikko ikki (mobs of angry peasants inspired by populist Buddhist teachings) actually manage to set up their own regime? Alternatively, I'd love to see a Japan under an Oda shogunate that stays open to the West and builds strong economic and cultural ties with the rest of Asia and the West (when they make their way over there).

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island?
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent?
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?

1)No.
2)Yes.
3)No.
4)No.
5)No.

e. Changed my vote.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 21, 2011

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

cool stuff

Okay, okay, I just voted for the megafauna because I thought they'd be cool, but you're right on all counts. Switching my vote for megafauna to NO.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Frionnel posted:

An idea for Al-Andalus/Andalusia:

Would you mind posting a larger image? I'm interested in what it says, but the picture is too small for me to figure out the fancy calligraphy.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Icecream Jones posted:

I thought this might be a good flag for Egypt:

Is this a joke?

Even if it isn't, it would look kinda silly. "Al-Jazeera" literally means "the Island."

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

Started map-modding. Progress so far:

What happened to Bulgaria and the four Byzantine successor states?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I would love to see an LP of Asia with this mod. Hell, I'd love to see a good novel set in this timeline.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

The Saurus posted:

Wait what, really? I hope that you've scaled back land and naval tech speeds a lot for non-western countries so that it doesn't become completely unrealistic.

The Ottomans, Safavids, and Mughals all established some pretty effective armies, with widespread use of cannon and muskets. The Warring States period spurred military innovation in Japan, and while I'm less knowledgeable about China I'd be VERY surprised if that regional superpower didn't modernize their armies as well. The decline of the non-Western powers started approximately 1700s-1800s, and that's right at the tip of EU3 or flat out Vicky territory.

I could go on, but then we'd be getting into serious sperg territory.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Holee...Qurighar got big. Well, bigger.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

So it is. English is not my first language. :shobon:

You write well enough that I was surprised to learn you were a non-native speaker.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Voting A.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Changing my vote from A to B.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Who owns Hokkaido? The Ainu?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

theblastizard posted:

I hope the Ikko Ikki convert to Christianity and go on a Crusade through Japan.

Not a chance. They're Buddhist fanatics.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

A.

C is something we should pick up eventually, but Armenia will probably keep attacking us and we're behind in tech and keep running out of men. It's the most practical option defensively and offensively.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
How did Albania get such high tech? And who are the purple guys in Japan? Are there any dynasties or countries of interest?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

This is a longshot but is there anyone here familiar with Arabic and specifically Arabic grammar at all? If so, I could really use your help in IRC - trying to make colony names for Arabic countries.

I'm conversational in Persian and know some Standard Arabic.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Two updates in one day? You're spoiling us, Wiz. Again.

Contrary to what other folks have been saying, I'm glad to hear that we won't be colonizing and I don't really want to see us expand a whole lot more, at least not for a long time. I really like the idea of a hippie Azerbaijan that's an economic/cultural powerhouse. Forwards with Operation Tolerance!

One thing I am worried about is that we won't get any news for a long time about what's going on in the world because we're far from the ocean and a medium power. Will we ever start getting news of what's going on in Africa, the Americas, and East Asia?

Also, I realize it's only a few updates since the last "State of the World" but I was wondering if you could post those pie charts for Azeri ethnic and religious make-up, given how much our country has just changed. You can just post the numbers if you like.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
England colonized most of the East Coast in ten years? drat.

And Korea is pushing Manchu back out of the peninsula! :neckbeard:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Is the Golden Horde and the provinces just recently taken from them still pagan?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Govt: A.
Idea: C.

Our inflation is fine and we don't have many heretics and probably won't get many in the future. Besides, shiny new public buildings make everyone happy!

ninja edit: Go go Korea!

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

OK, Arabic speakers out there, question: When denoting possessive in Arabic, what's the correct grammatical order and do you add 'al-'? As in, let's take "Ali's Town", which would be Ali Beldh, is it Beldh Ali, Ali Beldh or Ali al-Beldh? And does the order/grammar remain the same for "Point Town" (Beldh Neqth according to the translator, which seems very random on grammar).

Firstly, there is no "g," "ch," or "p" sound in Standard Arabic, which is probably the type people would use when naming their towns. The word you're looking for is nuqta, which means a period, dot, location, etc. according to my dictionary. "Town" is balda, while city is "madina" and village is "qarya." All of these words end in a taa marbuta, which is explained below.

When doing possessives, it might help to think of it as "The Town of Ali," instead of the other way around. So in this case, you would say "Baldat Ali." To make a long story short, possessed comes first, possessor comes second. This same rule goes for compound words (like Point Town). This formation is called the iDafa.

The al- prefix will never be used with a proper noun like Ali. However, when you're using two normal nouns, al- will be added to the LAST noun. So if you wanted to say "Book Town" (or rather, "The Town of Books"), you'd say "Baldat al-Kutub."

Now, the thing about al- is that it sometimes changes its sound based on the first letter of the word it's connected to. If a word with an al- prefix begins with a t, th, d, dh, r, z, s, sh, l, or n, then the "l" in al changes to that same letter. So "Point Town" would be "Baldat an-Nuqta."

You might notice that some nouns end with an "a" sound. In this case, they may be feminine words that end with the taa marbuta. The taa marbuta is normally pronounced "ah." However, if it's used at the end of the first word in the iDafa formation, it changes into "at". The word for "town" is actually balda. Because "town" is the first word in "Point Town" it becomes "Baldat an-Nuqta" instead.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2011

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiz posted:

Thanks, I've done all the changes you mentioned. When I'm done with this file, could you look through it and fix any issues you see? There is no way I'm gonna get all this right since the translator apparently gets the latinization wrong.

Sure thing. Could you somehow include the English names you intended? The latinization seems distorted enough that I might not be able to figure out what words you meant.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 6, 2011

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Who owns the islands north of Japan? And what is that tiny purple speck on Java?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
You said that Cherokee had modernized. If so, how did the Creek manage to take so much of their land?

How much of India is still Hindu? Does Mughal still have a Hindu minority?

What's the light purple country nestled between French Britain, Gascony, and Burgundy?

And why on earth hasn't Qurighar conquered Kazakh yet?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kavak posted:

All for turning Azerbaijan into a republic first chance we get say aye.

Aye.

Go Sameland! I hope they manage to stay a country against all the odds. They'd be the little Country That Could. :unsmith:

Wiz, were you trying to piss off Morocco there? Or just playing in character for the useless sultan?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Can you provide a key saying what color represents each religion?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Snipee posted:

I cannot imagine this happening. Chinese folk religion is as polytheistic as it gets with idolatry central to many of its rituals. It's incompatible with Islam in too many ways. I can understand the two coexisting side by side with tolerant leaders, but I do not see the two converging.

You'd be surprised. Because it's polytheistic, I can see folk religion incorporating Islamic rituals/mythology into their beliefs despite the extremely strict rejection of polytheism in pretty much all Abrahamic (Ibrahimic?) religions. Allah would just be another god to worship, presumably.

Keep in mind that Islam only really began to spread with the advent of Sufiism, which emphasized the emotional connection to God through some very heterodox practices. More than a few pagan beliefs/practices sneaked into Islam this way, sort of like how Indians and African slaves identified their gods with Catholic saints in Mesoamerica and the Caribbean. Logically, the cultural exchange would flow the other way as well--perhaps more so given the lack of a polytheistic taboo.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Much as I want want want that Bill of Rights, we need to prepare for war with freaking Russia. We have a ruler with a high diplomacy score, so that should help secure us on that front, but we have inflation at 10% and our ruler is spending like crazy. We need this bank!

e. Also, I'd like to second that request for information about what the hell is going on in East Asia. How the hell did Korea manage to gain and then lose so much territory so quickly?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Tomn posted:

Personally, I was aiming more at convincing the Sultan to do something diplomatically in the hope that he'll actually pay attention to getting other allies. Besides, I'm not really in favor of much expansion at the moment - I LIKE the idea of Azerbaijan as a middle-range regional power that relies more on soft diplomacy than empire.

Actually, there's a quick poll. How many of the folks here would want to see Azerbaijan expand significantly, and how many would prefer to see Azerbaijan's borders kept more or less as they currently are?
I think we're pretty good right now. Maybe we'll annex Erzerum, but I don't really expect us to get into major wars of conquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Changing my vote from C to

• Locked thread