Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Phlegmish posted:

I think I would unironically enjoy playing this mod.

I second that. Just take all the suggestions from this thread, come up with some non-european ones, and eventually, we could give every nation at least 1 unique event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gorgo Primus posted:

It should only be for European countries, and the rest of the world should get historical events they actually need. Also give them all real culture groups, but put all of Europe into the same one.

Basically reverse everything Johan normally does.

I like this idea better. All of Europe is in one culture group, cultures are simplified in the stupidest way possible (each region of Europe (West, Central, Eastern, etc. is a culture, and it's all within the Europe culture group), countries have events that play on stereotypes that may not even exist yet, etc.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

E:^^^^^^^^^
Hey man, the point of this is to make Europe the historically inaccurate one for once, and everyone else historically accurate to the point we're debating if the Tibetan soldiers really wore brown pants or not.

Whiteys?

Cultures could be; Spanish (every nation on the Iberian peninsula is Spanish), Gaul(France, Burgundy, Brittany, etc), British (Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, etc. would all use this), German (every HRE nation, including Austria and Bohemia, and the Teutonic Order), Post-Roman (all of Italy), Russian (everything from Poland to Novgorod, minus the T.O.), and Balkan (Hungary and everything south of it).

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 16, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

Also remove all christian denominations, put them in one big "christian" religion, and then turn the papacy into some kind of horribly designed game-breaking system that makes europe unplayable.

The Pope is able to tell Christian nations what they can and can't do, like declaring 'God hates all violence' which forbids Christian nations from declaring war, even nations that should be Orthodox.

If Rome is captured by a nation other than the papal states, nothing happens to the Christian nations.

The Triggered Modifiers that benefit Christian nations (like the one for taking over Judea, or Mecca) are removed, and replaced with dozens of modifiers for other religions.

Judaism is added to the game, as a religion that you can convert to.

The Holy Roman Empire simply starts out as one giant nation, minus Austria, Bohemia, Burgundy, and some of the other larger members of the HRE.

Protestants are added as a papal faction in 1600 that favours policies that grant more freedoms to the nations. The Papal States can forced to convert like any other nation.

Best mod ever.

(Edited for format)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 16, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Gorgo Primus posted:

Fixed.

I still like my factions for the papacy idea best.

The crusader faction is especially interested in persecuting Mulsims.

To really capitalize on the offensiveness, call the crusader faction the Dominicans. Or Franciscans.:dawkins101:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Freudian posted:

Holy Roman Empire = Shogunate based around Frankfurt. You know you want to.

To add insult to injury, replace the Shogun system in Japan with one that's actually fun and give the old boring one to the HRE.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

These are actually already the European subcultures in EUIII. If Brabant gains a core on Danzig, it's permanent.

Again, this...is pretty much how it works in EUIII already. It's slightly more specific, but not by much.

The point of this would be to make these regions have just 1 culture. Europe would be in one culture group, and cultures would be condensed in the most offensive way possible, like making all of Eastern Europe Russian culture, whereas now, EUIII has unique cultures for most European nations. The point wasn't to make new culture groups, these would just be one culture to describe very diverse regions on the grounds that they're 'close enough', and using outdated names to add to the stupidity.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Make certain European nations hordes. I mean, those Germans are pretty uncivilized, they're basically a roaming horde of barbarians, right?

In fact, make all of Europe use the Horde government, and the rest of the world uses normal government types.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

If any nation takes over more than 50% of France's provinces, France instantly surrenders and becomes a vassal of the nation that took it over. Note that you only need to control these provinces, not own them, so if a one province minor manages to blitz France while it's busy elsewhere, it can still vassalize France.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

AgentF posted:

Poland (Russia) should get the hero Wojtek, who provides bonuses to nearby artillery units.

Once Poland discovers Iran/Persia, the country gains the national modifier Wojtek, which gives their artillery a damage and movement bonus.

Also, Canada is added as a country, and has the American culture.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

zedar posted:

On further examination, that mod is everything that is wrong with the Paradox modding community.

This may be a :can:, but what's the Paradox mod community's reputation? I'm only casually interested in Paradox mods, so I'm curious in the horrors I may be blissfully unaware of.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Huh... I can't say I'm surprised at all the nationalism stuff, but the fact that was common earlier is still saddening :smith:

Also, how can they make it easier to reform the Byzantine Empire? Just start on 1404, declare war on the ottomans, park your navy in the sea between European and Asian Ottoman Empire, take over the European half (your only opposition will be 8,000 pretender rebels), park your forces on Thrace, use spies to do the generic support rebels in Asian O.E., and wait for the Ottomans to bankrupt, then steamroll and annex them. If you want to make a nation that is unplayable playable, they should go fix Granada; Castile declares war day one, your allies will be too slow to help, best case is you are taken over in a week.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Tulip posted:

Make the Papal States work like the HRE, where every catholic nation is either a member state or elector.

Make the Papal States work like the Shogunate, where every catholic nation is boring and the pope has an insane amount of influence over the other nations. Because history.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Well, I think if we sat down and hammered it out, I think we can get enough offensiveness for Europe for at least a beta release.

Now, for fixing Ming, I think there needs to be a way to get rid of the factions system. Each faction could have a national decision that you can activate when a certain bad thing occurs, allowing the faction to be disbanded reflecting the faction becoming unpopular. For example, the Bureaucrats become unpopular when inflation is high, the Temple becomes unpopular when war exhaustion is high, and the Eunuch become unpopular when Ming bankrupts. When two factions are forced to disband, the faction system is turned off.

I will admit I have a Johan level of understanding of Chinese history, but I think this system can keep the faction system in place, and allow it to be gotten rid of by putting Ming in a bad spot, so in exchange for intentionally inflicting some short, and possibly long term damage on yourself, you can be rid of the stupid faction system.

O, and get rid of the footbinding event. Because :gonk:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

You're thinking in the wrong direction. The entire Balkan should be Ottoman culture.

Furthermore, Ottoman is an actual culture, and no reference to Turkey or turkish culture is ever made.

Also, RE: Jazerus; :golfclap:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Of course not, it's just goon speculation because bad design decisions totally have to have a stupid cause right?

The reason they made the factions for China was to limit them without doing arbitrary things like a 50% tax penalty based on religion and the shogunate system was made in order to spice up Japan but due to time/budget limitations and development decisions (and likely insufficient beta testing from people outside the dev team) both features ended up the abominations they are.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that this mod should rework the faction system to make it possible to end it at a great cost to Ming, but after playing as Ming again, all I can say is to hell with the factions. I'd say if someone does make this mod, get rid of the factions, and if you're really worried about Ming getting overpowered, just buff the Mongol Khanate or something.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A sexy submarine posted:

If I can inherit India as Korea, I should be able to inherit Persia as Denmark :colbert:

Pfft, good luck, Denmark will probably be overrun by Vikings by the time you discover it :black101:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Patter Song posted:

One thing that annoys me about EU3 (excepting a very few mods) is that AI countries in the Eastern Tech Group that have access to colonists never colonize, even when they have missions to do so. I understand it's to prevent Ming from settling half of Siberia, but it's annoying as hell to see Ming never fulfill its missions to colonize Taiwan or Deren or Japan (in HTTT and prior) not fulfilling its missions to colonize Sakhalin and the Kurils. What's really weird is that, in situations where it both survives into the long term and conquers Kazakh (~5% of games, I'd say), the AI Timurids are more than happy to colonize Siberia.

It's always painful to see the Russian minors refuse to colonize Golden Horde provinces because of this. They will spend decades just sitting with a conquered province right next to them and do nothing.

By the way, out of curiosity, what did DW do to the Mongol Khanate? And if the point of the factions system was to weaken Ming, why weaken the horde that borders them? :derp:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

LordBaxter posted:

You haven't heard?

Basically the mongol khanate now operates under a "horde" system of government. It is constantly at war with everyone that neighbours it excepting peace treaties, you can't claim land in a peace deal and must instead send colonists to any horde province you border until it reaches a certain level, then the land becomes yours. This happens to any land the horde takes, so you could theoretically need to colonise central germany.

EDIT: Dot points from the wiki:

- Horde nations exist in a constant state of war with all non-tributaries
- Horde provinces are now considered uncivilised, and can be colonised by other nations
- Horde armies have increased fighting ability and attrition tolerance
- Increased looting profits, and looting raises tradition

Oh, the horde thing... My bad, I thought there was a specific problem for the Mongol Khanate. I always thought the horde government was a good thing, but the hordes I play as are large, like the Golden Horde and the Timurids, but I can see how the Mongol Khanate being forced to be at war with Ming would crush it. If I recall, the 5.1 patch did help hordes, (ever since that patch, I have never seen the Golden Horde not take over everything between it and Hungary, leading to some very interesting borders when the Golden Horde collapses later), but somehow I doubt this makes the Mongol Khanate playable.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

According to that gif, it looks like Spain was founded by Aragon taking over Castille. That never happens in my games, Castille always defeats Aragon.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

:doh:, forgot about that. Looking at the map again. Granada looks much larger than it is normally, and the Aragon AI took Castille's provinces bordering Granada early, making war with them harder for Castille.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rogue0071 posted:

That's Andalusia, a Christian kingdom which inexplicably acquired a Muslim ruler and started converting province to Islam right before the end of CK.

Huh. Guess that explains why Castille didn't go to war with them from the start.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

It randomly crashes when I use assassins, either when I kill a character with no heir to inherit his title, or if I pause and assassinate many people in a row from the same country. My guess is the game has no condition for what to do if an AI character dies with no heir.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Reveilled posted:

It can't simply be that, because I do that all the time. Mind you I haven't played Crusader Kings since transitioning to Windows 7, but on my old XP machine it was the most stable of the pre-EU3 games, practically never crashing at all.

Really? Huh... what's supposed to happen when a character dies heirless? Does the title just transfer to their liege? If so, that would be so useful, I could revoke titles from rebellious characters without having to suffer the loyalty hit every other vassal would take, and the bribe to get their loyalty high enough to agree.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wiz, this is paradox interactive, and there seems to be some unusual activity going on in your copy of EU III. In order to verify your ownership of the game, I need for you to go to sketchywebsite.com and enter your account information. Failure to do so WILL result in Azerbaijan being put into a personal union with the Mongols again.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Mughals

Unless I missed something...

The answer I'd like to give is that I was being clever like The Saurus said. In reality, I just forgot what I was saying and put Mongols instead of Mughals.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't think we're properly able to answer the question if Wiz exists. On the one hand, we do not have any direct scientific evidence of Wiz's existence, but on the other hand, we cannot dismiss the possibility of Wiz's existence out of hand.

One more important question I'm surprised nobody is raising is, is there an after-LP? Once the LP ends, what happens to us? Do we go on to an LP paradise, where the goons debate civilly, Wiz updates daily, and Azerbaijan becomes Sultan of Europe as the Wizzites say, or do we simply stop posting, and that's it? And, if there is an after-LP, what happens if we post well or shitpost, does that have an effect on it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

THERE IS A WIZ!!!

Anyway,

What use do we have for an army of unorganized peasants? Our forces are an elite fighting force, and we should embrace our strength, not allow the rabble to join our army.

EDIT: Was going to vote C, but after seeing the other voters, it's clear this is a race between B and C, and though I feel that morale and fire is better than shock and army tradition, clearly the goons disagree.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 5, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm changing my vote to B (I've already edited it in my earlier post), since it's clear C isn't going to win, and I feel we'd be better off with fewer better men. I don't think we'll last long enough in this war for the yearly tradition bonus to help, and I think the fire and morale bonuses of Military Drill outweigh Battlefield Commission's shock bonus, but it seems I am wrong in that.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 5, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Is it possible that as Islam spreads to China, the dietary restrictions are simply abandoned by the peasants and clerics alike? I can't imagine conversion would be very successful if the peasantry heard that, (even if it's in name only), there was a rule that a large sources of food (and money) was banned under the new religion, and as mentioned, the nobles wouldn't want to force the restriction on the peasants for fear of popular revolution.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 10, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

skipThings posted:

As far as my limited knowledge of american politics goes ( what i read in the D&D forums ) you have to tell everyone that you are a Christian, to have a good chance of being elected as governor or Potus or whatever, otherwise your chances are more than slim.

I would think that religion still is a pretty major factor in politics

I can confirm this is true; if the republican candidate doesn't, his base won't vote for him, and if a democrat doesn't, then the republican can attack him on it and draw moderates to him. The closest thing to non Christian Potus would be that some of the founding fathers were Deist, but in recent history, every presidential candidate basically has to outright say they are Christian.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Pakled posted:

You don't *have* to be Christian to have a chance at being elected to a high office in the US. Congress has a significant number of Jews, and even a Muslim. Religion is a bigger deal in US politics than in Europe, but it can hardly be compared to the role Religion played centuries ago.

I would like to point out the two Muslim congressmen are representatives; though America as a whole would never elect a Muslim to a high office, small districts may elect representatives.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 10, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Viscardus posted:

Huh? Since when is considering Catholicism and Mormonism to be Christian sects and not considering atheism and agnosticism to be religions unusual? :confused:

I heard from an unreliable source that according to Indonesia (at one point in history) "Kristen" and "Katolik" were two separate religions :pseudo:

I think he was referring to the part about atheism and agnosticism not being religions. Some people say they are religions, some say they're theological positions but not religions, some say other third things... it's weird.

E: I also forgot to mention, re: Mormons not being Christian, that's actually a big thing these days with Mitt Romney (a Republican Mormon candidate) being one of the frontrunners in the primary. Evangelical Christians make up a large chunk of the Republican base and some feel Mormonism is not Christian. Catholics can also be considered not Christian by these groups, mostly from the idea of pagano-papism if I understand correctly (that the Roman Catholic Church during the early days was so heavily influenced by pagan beliefs, it is no longer a Christian faith). I'm under the impression these are not mainstream views in any religion/sect of Christianity, but I have no evidence to support that.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 13, 2011

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

We can always hope Russia implodes in on itself if it gets a few poor rulers, loses stability, etc. :shobon: Worst case, Azerbaijan can always cede some land, in the hopes a time of troubles hits Russia, and force the Tsar to give back our land, with interest :hist101:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

What's a Courlandia, and why is Poland winning a war against Russia because of it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ah, forgot to check the second world map Wiz uploaded (I thought it was the same as the map at the end of the last update :doh:). Well, more power to them; the fewer allies Russia has, and the worse relations with the Poles are, the better chance Russia will hold off on attacking Azerbaijan until it deals with its western enemies.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

the JJ posted:

Nooo Wiz, we must help our Polish allies.

Clearly the Russians have been distracted on the Buhkarian front, there will be no better time to strike!

Renew the old Azerbaijan-Polish alliance! We should unite to fight our common Russian enemy!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Snipee posted:

Guys, did you forget the thread title? Islam is the Light. :colbert:

But, we're so close to justifying becoming Christian, that thing Wiz was trying to avoid when he chose to play Azerbaijan since "Watch Christian/European nation X conquer the world!" has been overdone :smugbert:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

As nice as it would be to deal a crushing defeat to our old Armenian rival, we can attack Armenia at any time, Russia has only a small window of opportunity where it is distracted on two fronts. An opportunity like this will be rare, and Russia will grow more if we don't act soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Now that our eastern ally's territories are divided, I don't think there's any nation on the Russian eastern front that can put up a fight against them. O well, they'll still make a fine distraction should we have another war with the Russians, and now they'll have to wait for the next one.

In the mean time, we should build up our forces for an attack on Armenia. Weak as we are, we should hopefully be able to recover quick enough to attack them soon, with the help of our Persian allies.

• Locked thread